HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gauthier Waived!!!

Old
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
it's possible he's stuck there for two years... similar to McGillis.
That sucks even more. I do feel for the guy, he's still fairly young and I think can play in this league, it's just his cap figure ****ing him over. Maybe it's best he plays for the Phantoms though since the article MSE posted mentioned his kids are in school in Philly, best to stay in one place.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
That sucks even more. I do feel for the guy, he's still fairly young and I think can play in this league, it's just his cap figure ****ing him over. Maybe it's best he plays for the Phantoms though since the article MSE posted mentioned his kids are in school in Philly, best to stay in one place.
I would think he can stick it out in the AHL for the two years, collect his money and keep his family around, and then try to stick in the NHL at a low salary after that. He should be young enough to still draw some interest for the back of someone's rotation by then I hope.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
lancer247

do you think players will ask for the right to restructure their contracts with another team rather then play in the AHL when the next CBA comes up?

it seems there are some decent vets that will be relegated to the AHL for cap reasons when they would probably rather take less to play in the NHL w/ another team...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
do you think players will ask for the right to restructure their contracts with another team rather then play in the AHL when the next CBA comes up?
Absolutely.
Quote:
it seems there are some decent vets that will be relegated to the AHL for cap reasons when they would probably rather take less to play in the NHL w/ another team...
Andreychuk, Mogilny, McGillis, Gauthier, Malakhov, Nedved, it's almost sad to see who has been relegated to the minors.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Dr Love

Quote:

In baseball after a player has accumulated a certian amount of days on a MLB roster, they can refuse an assignment to the minors. If I'm the NHLPA, I go to the table with something along those lines.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

decent UFA's will ask for a NTC/NMC.

10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
decent UFA's will ask for a NTC/NMC.
Very few players will actually get a NMC. GMs would be foolish to start handing them out.

Old
10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah i wouldnt be surprised if after 2 years in the ahl the flyers signed him to a cheaper deal. and gave him a NMC out of pity. Gauthier at like 750k would rock.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Very few players will actually get a NMC. GMs would be foolish to start handing them out.
We've seen how competitive the UFA market is. It will probably start to become more important than say 500-900k to a player when choosing a team to sign with

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Group hug for Gauthier?

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
yeah i wouldnt be surprised if after 2 years in the ahl the flyers signed him to a cheaper deal. and gave him a NMC out of pity. Gauthier at like 750k would rock.
If you look at younger defensemen and other draft picks, Gauthier likely doesn't have an NHL job after this season.

The Flyers were still under the cap BEFORE waiving Gauthier, but even if the team wanted to clear the cap space, they didn't have to. If Denis Gauthier was still one of the top 7 defensemen on the Flyers, he would at least still be on the team until Jones was ready to play, if not on the team regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Absolutely.Andreychuk, Mogilny, McGillis, Gauthier, Malakhov, Nedved, it's almost sad to see who has been relegated to the minors.
I don't think Malakhov ever went to the minors, he was hurt.

The other guys weren't sent down for cap reasons, they were sent down because they sucked and other guys were cheaper options. If their play warranted a spot on the team, they would have stayed on it regardless of what their cap number was.

Dan Cloutier is another established vet, with a large contract by AHL standards. Cloutier wasn't sent to the minors because of the cap or his salary, he was sent to the minors because he couldn't stop a beach ball.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't think Malakhov ever went to the minors, he was hurt.
It doesn't matter that he didn't report, just that he was sent to the AHL.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
We've seen how competitive the UFA market is. It will probably start to become more important than say 500-900k to a player when choosing a team to sign with
Guys drawing a lot of interest in the UFA market shouldn't be worried about going to the AHL. Especially now that everyone has realized what works in the "new" NHL.

Old
10-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers were still under the cap BEFORE waiving Gauthier, but even if the team wanted to clear the cap space, they didn't have to. If Denis Gauthier was still one of the top 7 defensemen on the Flyers, he would at least still be on the team until Jones was ready to play, if not on the team regardless.
if you're not going to use him this year, it makes more sense to waive him and go with what you're going to use from the outset to get a little consistency. not only that, if someone were to claim him... it would be more likely at this moment before rosters are completely crystalized than in a couple of weeks.

Gauthier is above Jones, he just doesn't make sense as a 7th defenseman... there are other players who make more sense going forward with this team... thus do it now.

those of us stating that Gauthier was gone from the beginning of the summer (yourself included) weren't magically figuring him as the odd man out. doesn't make sense to keep him when you already got a Smith and Hatcher in the lineup, particularly Hatcher, who is grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table at this point.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 06:55 AM
jb**

Quote:
if you're not going to use him this year, it makes more sense to waive him and go with what you're going to use from the outset to get a little consistency. not only that, if someone were to claim him... it would be more likely at this moment before rosters are completely crystalized than in a couple of weeks.

Gauthier is above Jones, he just doesn't make sense as a 7th defenseman... there are other players who make more sense going forward with this team... thus do it now.

those of us stating that Gauthier was gone from the beginning of the summer (yourself included) weren't magically figuring him as the odd man out. doesn't make sense to keep him when you already got a Smith and Hatcher in the lineup, particularly Hatcher, who is grossly overpaid for what he brings to the table at this point.
While I donít have a problem with them waiving Gauthier, I do have a problem with jones as the 6th dman. Gauthier is clearly head and shoulders better than jones. Guenin is better than jones. They should have kept Gauthier on the roster for a few weeks to see how things shake out unless they are prepared to play Guenin no matter what and if he falters Picard or Parent. That logic I can understand, jones playing i do not. They didnít have to sign boulerice or dowd right away, they could have waited if the cap room was a problem. Right now they ar enot playing the best 6 dman if Jones plays tonight.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i may be wrong on this but isn't jones signed to a one way contract? thats why he's always our #7 and now that goat's gone, #6.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i may be wrong on this but isn't jones signed to a one way contract? thats why he's always our #7 and now that goat's gone, #6.
The bigger problem is that he has to pass through waivers to be assigned to the Phantoms. Thats the reason he became number seven last year, and his cheap contract.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 07:26 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
well, yeah, thats what i was trying to point out. thanks for clarifying.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
While I donít have a problem with them waiving Gauthier, I do have a problem with jones as the 6th dman. Gauthier is clearly head and shoulders better than jones. Guenin is better than jones. They should have kept Gauthier on the roster for a few weeks to see how things shake out unless they are prepared to play Guenin no matter what and if he falters Picard or Parent. That logic I can understand, jones playing i do not. They didnít have to sign boulerice or dowd right away, they could have waited if the cap room was a problem. Right now they ar enot playing the best 6 dman if Jones plays tonight.
Parent, i think, is destined for a year of AHL duty (the Luce model) before given a real shot. Picard i expect to see with the Flyers for a lot of the year.

Old
10-04-2007, 10:13 AM
mikedifr

Hate to see Gauthier go, always liked him, from an on-ice standpoint I rather Hatcher go, but it appears he is coaching the young dmen fairly well, and I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as some do.

For the record, I rather see this, but whatever...
Timonen Kukkonen
Coburn Smith
Hatcher Picard

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Hate to see Gauthier go, always liked him, from an on-ice standpoint I rather Hatcher go, but it appears he is coaching the young dmen fairly well, and I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as some do.

For the record, I rather see this, but whatever...
Timonen Kukkonen
Coburn Smith
Hatcher Picard
if the PP works... then it doesn't really matter. if our PP struggles, I'd expect Picard to be a consistent member of the roster.

i like the Timonen-Smith combination A LOT from the preseason games I watched, they complement each other well. i also don't really view Kukkonen as a top-pairing guy necessarily... Coburn/Kukkonen is a paring i'd be more interested in.

Old
10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
if the PP works... then it doesn't really matter. if our PP struggles, I'd expect Picard to be a consistent member of the roster.

i like the Timonen-Smith combination A LOT from the preseason games I watched, they complement each other well. i also don't really view Kukkonen as a top-pairing guy necessarily... Coburn/Kukkonen is a paring i'd be more interested in.
That might work. I just dont like putting my two best on one pairing, same as I am with forwards. Just personal preference...

Your suggestion would still accomplish my other point though, which is not to have to rely on Hatcher to play as much as he has been

Old
10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
That might work. I just dont like putting my two best on one pairing, same as I am with forwards. Just personal preference...

Your suggestion would still accomplish my other point though, which is not to have to rely on Hatcher to play as much as he has been
Hatcher has been fine with Coburn, but we'll see how things go as we move forward. Smith is a good defenseman, but he's one-dimensional and prone to turnovers (statistical fact), so it's not like we have two "elite" guys... we have Timonen... and Smith is a very solid guy. However, he's not going to create another top-end defensive pairing on his own.

Old
10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Hatcher has been fine with Coburn, but we'll see how things go as we move forward. Smith is a good defenseman, but he's one-dimensional and prone to turnovers (statistical fact), so it's not like we have two "elite" guys... we have Timonen... and Smith is a very solid guy. However, he's not going to create another top-end defensive pairing on his own.
I agree. I like having the "offensive" pairing and the "defensive" pairing, where I thought Coburn playing with Smith would be a good precursor to Coburn with Parent later...