HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dawes sent down!!!

Old
10-01-2007, 08:07 PM
BlueHavok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Brodeur had whatever was his name behind him last season, Luongo had somebody I don't remember the name of and Kipper had someone I can't remember the name of. See the pattern? Franchise goaltenders have nobodys to back them up.
and the team that actually won the cup ----giggy and bryz----were an interesting duo.

I'm with the nay sayers--- no confidence in Vally until he gives me reason to believe otherwise. What I have seen is not proof enough he can handle second string, especially if Lundy tweaks a hammy.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Edge

I've never been a huge Vally fan. Always thought he was a pretty average AHL goalie.

Having said that, we don't really have a choice. I'd rather have a better backup, even if it is for only 10 some odd games. It's an insurance policy for injury and I'm not a huge fan of feeling like I'm throwing away points, especially if it is just enough to make a difference in the standings.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Where does it say that? Ive been looking all over for some sort of penalty explanation.
It's not in the CBA - it's in the League By-Laws. I've talked to the league office about this, they promise to get back to me before too long about the specifics on this ... but yes - it's not just a fine.

10-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
And what happens if the Rangers actually do find themselves over the legal cap at any point in time during the season?

Forfeit games?

Fall off a cliff?

Lose Draft picks?

Have to wash Bettmans ass for a week?

----

No... they get fined. Wooopdy-freakin Doo. Big deal.
Whats to stop Jimmy Dolan from just saying **** it and paying the fine to add Mr Impact D? What is the fine?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I've never been a huge Vally fan. Always thought he was a pretty average AHL goalie.

Having said that, we don't really have a choice. I'd rather have a better backup, even if it is for only 10 some odd games. It's an insurance policy for injury and I'm not a huge fan of feeling like I'm throwing away points, especially if it is just enough to make a difference in the standings.
He did hang on to that St Louis game last year. The game turned the season around imo.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
He did hang on to that St Louis game last year. The game turned the season around imo.
Well for better or worse he's the backup for now. I'd feel a little more confident if I believed in this defense a little more.

It tends to make average goalies look below average on most nights.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 11:31 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
All we need to do is get to the playoffs, then it doesnt matter who the backup goalie is.
I like the part where the Ranger get into the playoffs. Not sure about the rest of that. I'll tell ya though, I'd love for them to have a backup that could sustain the pressures of winning in case of sickness, injuries, or slumps that Lundqvist may very realistically endure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Brodeur had whatever was his name behind him last season, Luongo had somebody I don't remember the name of and Kipper had someone I can't remember the name of. See the pattern? Franchise goaltenders have nobodys to back them up.
ummm... pattern... this is kind of a tough one. Let's see... if the Rangers make sure the backup goalie is a nobody who won't be able to handle NHL level competition, then Lundqvist is guaranteed to have a Brodeur/Luongo/Kiprusoff like season and won't sustain any injuries or need any rest... and having said "nobody" backup will assuredly not come back to haunt the Rangers? Is that the pattern?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 11:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
He did. And it was one of the biggest games during the regular season as far as sparking that miracle run at the end. All credit to him. Having said that, how steady did he look to you? Because I though he looked kind of shaky and I had a heart attack every time the puck was near him. But as Edge points out, he's the backup now. All we can do is hope for the best.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
JPNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
and the team that actually won the cup ----giggy and bryz----were an interesting duo.

I'm with the nay sayers--- no confidence in Vally until he gives me reason to believe otherwise. What I have seen is not proof enough he can handle second string, especially if Lundy tweaks a hammy.
If Henrik gets hurt and put on IR then his salary doesn't count against the cap, and Montoya could be called up. Right?

JPNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
You seem to forget how Valiquette looked during the beginning of the game when he nearly gave it away.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNYR View Post
If Henrik gets hurt and put on IR then his salary doesn't count against the cap, and Montoya could be called up. Right?
It's evidently not that simple, it has to be a long term injury--more than 10 games, but I don't really know the details.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post

Well, I think there were more important factors in Anaheim's team than Bryzgalov being Giggy's backup, even though he played an important role during the beginning of the playoffs, I can admit that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
ummm... pattern... this is kind of a tough one. Let's see... if the Rangers make sure the backup goalie is a nobody who won't be able to handle NHL level competition, then Lundqvist is guaranteed to have a Brodeur/Luongo/Kiprusoff like season and won't sustain any injuries or need any rest... and having said "nobody" backup will assuredly not come back to haunt the Rangers? Is that the pattern?
Well, if you put it that way, sure, we could use a better backup than Valiquette. We have to take resources currently spread on the forwards/ defensemen to do so though.

We can afford to let Montoya play a third of a season and the entire playoffs - the salary cap doesn't count then, right? Or am I wrong?

Chimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2007, 03:47 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
im delighted Staal has made the team but for the record im disappointed Dawes didnt make it ahead of a poor Hossa and i expected Vally to get the nod.

Hope Staal dresses against Florida!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote