HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Rookie & Training Camp Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
2007 Rookie & Training Camp Thread

Link to the Caps Rookie and Training Camp Information Page including schedule, rosters and more

Rookie Camp beginning Saturday, Sept. 8.

Training Camp beginning Friday, Sept. 14.

All on-ice sessions at Rookie Camp and Training Camp – like every Capitals practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex – will be open to the public and free of charge.

more info in linked announcement

http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=335636

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old
08-03-2007, 02:17 PM
sk84fun_dc

not sure where to stick this article about Pettinger and off-season training...

Pettinger, Pollock...

Old
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Rookie Camp beginning Saturday, Sept. 8.

Training Camp beginning Friday, Sept. 14.
Dude, that's like an eternity from now! Oh well, in the meantime I can watch the Redskins, since they haven't been mathematically eliminated from the playoff yet.

Old
08-03-2007, 02:24 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Really glad they are having a rookie camp before the main camp. Will allow the coaches to evaluate some younger players before all the vets arrive. Should also help in the decision making process for cuts.

08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Really glad they are having a rookie camp before the main camp. Will allow the coaches to evaluate some younger players before all the vets arrive. Should also help in the decision making process for cuts.

Yeah, it's a really good thing, Backstrom will get even more time to adjust to the smaller rink cause of rookie camp.

Old
08-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Didn't want to start a new thread but thought I'd pass this along from OFB:
Quote:
Beginning next week, [Boyd] Gordon told me, a healthy contingent of Caps will be skating together out at Kettler Capitals five times a week, in “hour-and-a-half, maybe hour-and-forty-five [minute]” conditioning stints featuring “drills, scrimmaging . . . and then the [serious] skating.”...

Olie Kolzig, Gordon told me, is leading the recruiting effort to get as many Caps’ back in town for as early as possible a startup of daily on-ice workouts. Kolzig’s having success, too, because, beginning next week, there will be guys enough to scrimmage five days a week for nearly three weeks this month.

Old
08-09-2007, 04:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sure it will start to trickle out who else is around...

Old
08-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I wonder if Ovie will leave his training in Russia to skate in D.C.

Old
08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
sk84fun_dc

more about the prospects game against Philly mentioned during Caps Report yesterday

"The Washington Capitals Rookie Camp, which opens at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Saturday, Sept. 8, will conclude with a game against the Philadelphia Flyers rookies on Wednesday, Sept. 12, at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, N.J. The game is the first in an initial two-year agreement that will bring the contest to Kettler Capitals Iceplex in 2008.

This year’s game will face off at 12:30 p.m. at the Flyers’ practice facility and is open to the public and free of charge...."

Link to Caps announcement

Old
08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread but thought I'd pass this along from OFB:
If they need guys for scrimmages then I'll volunteer myself! I could hang with these guys...

Old
08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Don't count on Semin coming for this. It sounds like he'll come back at the latest possible time.

Somebody get the kid some rosetta stone tapes and take him for a night out on the town!

Old
08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
more about the prospects game against Philly mentioned during Caps Report yesterday

"The Washington Capitals Rookie Camp, which opens at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Saturday, Sept. 8, will conclude with a game against the Philadelphia Flyers rookies on Wednesday, Sept. 12, at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, N.J. The game is the first in an initial two-year agreement that will bring the contest to Kettler Capitals Iceplex in 2008.

This year’s game will face off at 12:30 p.m. at the Flyers’ practice facility and is open to the public and free of charge...."

Link to Caps announcement
Do you have to be signed in order to play?

Old
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkpk View Post
Do you have to be signed in order to play?
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, that you just have to be invited to rookie camp to be eligible to play. Otherwise, NHL teams would be hard pressed to ice a full team comprised of first- and second-year pros (considering the 50 NHL contracts limit).

Looking at Philadelphia's invitees, there are a handful of unsigned players (including '07 picks) and a couple of undrafted tryout players...enough so that they wouldn't be able to ice a full team without them.

Old
08-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, that you just have to be invited to rookie camp to be eligible to play. Otherwise, NHL teams would be hard pressed to ice a full team comprised of first- and second-year pros (considering the 50 NHL contracts limit).

Looking at Philadelphia's invitees, there are a handful of unsigned players (including '07 picks) and a couple of undrafted tryout players...enough so that they wouldn't be able to ice a full team without them.
This looks like the first year for this format-rookie campers and a game between Philly's rookies.
From the Capital's news:
"The team’s Rookie Camp – a new addition this season – will feature approximately two dozen of the team’s young players and prospects, primarily first-year professionals."

I think a game at the end of the rookie camp is a good idea. It provides another opportunity for more realistic evaluation of the bubble players in as close to real game situation as you can get prior to preseason/regular season.

Old
08-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
This looks like the first year for this format-rookie campers and a game between Philly's rookies.
From the Capital's news:

"The team’s Rookie Camp – a new addition this season – will feature approximately two dozen of the team’s young players and prospects, primarily first-year professionals."

I think a game at the end of the rookie camp is a good idea. It provides another opportunity for more realistic evaluation of the bubble players in as close to real game situation as you can get prior to preseason/regular season.
Yeah, I agree with you on the value of the rookie game as a yardstick of sorts for younger players that have excelled at rookie camp. Next year's game at Kettler ought to be a lot of fun, too.

There should be a few second-year pros at camp as well, guys like Viktor Dovgan that turned pro last year but are still pretty early along in their devleopment. Philly's rookie camp lineup has a few players that played last year for the Phantoms.

Old
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Dream Big

Q:
Scenario Re: a rookie who won't arrive until late Monday Sept 10 or early am on the 11th. The 1230 game on the 12th is at Flyers Voorhees, NJ. When does the team leave for New Jersey? Same day in the am or day before? Wondering if the late arriving rookie will have time to skate with the team?

Old
08-12-2007, 07:26 PM
LadyIce

From the looks of things the game should be pretty entertaining, as well as informative. Too bad it's not at Kettler this year, I'd like to check it out.

Old
08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Q:
Scenario Re: a rookie who won't arrive until late Monday Sept 10 or early am on the 11th. The 1230 game on the 12th is at Flyers Voorhees, NJ. When does the team leave for New Jersey? Same day in the am or day before? Wondering if the late arriving rookie will have time to skate with the team?
If you are asking about this because of Alzner and Godfrey's participation in the Canada Russia Super Series U20 event, no way to know what the plan is, but the comment reported in the Caps Report thread on this topic is that they would be back in time. FWIW, Philly also has at least one prospect participating in the same event, Claude Giroux. IIRC, the last game takes place in Vancouver on the 9th.

About the questions asked in an earlier post regarding what other teams do and if this is a new concept...the answer is no...a number of NHL teams participate in rookie tourneys and match-ups. The Caps used to participate in the Traverse City event.

http://www.redwingstrainingcamp.com/prospect.html

and some of the Pacific division teams have held a tourney the last few years: Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles and Phoenix. IIRC, they rotated which team hosted the event. Called something like Pacific Division Shootout

Old
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
and some of the Pacific division teams have held a tourney the last few years: Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles and Phoenix. If I recall correctly, they rotated which team hosted the event. Called something like Pacific Division Shootout
That's a nice little slap in the face to Dallas.

Old
08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
sk84fun_dc

maybe Dallas chose not to participate when this started, who knows...FWIW, Dallas participated last year in the Traverse City tourney and will again this year.

Back to the Caps, based on history, I don't expect to see a list from the Caps until much closer to the camp starting, but Philly is updating the list for its camp...now includes Matt Stefanishion, I assume a FA tryout....I don't recall seeing his name when this was first posted.

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Old
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
CapGoodie

Not to be paranoid or anything but as time ticks on and we get into lat August it's getting a little worrisome that Flash hasn't signed yet.

I'd hate to see him sign in europe after all the development time put into that player leading up to present day, where he's finally at a point to really challenge for a regular shift.

I don't know if Mcphee would offer a one-way to Flash, and chances are the offers back home are better than any AHL money he might get.

Of course, bringing this up means he'll probably sign this afternoon but still...it's getting a little late in the off-season for my liking.

Has there been any word/mention of signing Flash lately?

Old
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
Not to be paranoid or anything but as time ticks on and we get into lat August it's getting a little worrisome that Flash hasn't signed yet.

I'd hate to see him sign in europe after all the development time put into that player leading up to present day, where he's finally at a point to really challenge for a regular shift.

I don't know if Mcphee would offer a one-way to Flash, and chances are the offers back home are better than any AHL money he might get.

Of course, bringing this up means he'll probably sign this afternoon but still...it's getting a little late in the off-season for my liking.

Has there been any word/mention of signing Flash lately?
Best guess is that the issue is a one way vs two way deal...not shocking that McPhee has unsigned RFAs in August based on history...and not a surprise that Fleischmann and the org. would be at odds, if the assumption is correct, over a one way vs two way deal. The other question is whether he perhaps wants to be or expects to be traded and whether the two-way contract offer and concerns about a trade are factoring into the lack of a contract to date. To date, I haven't seen any mention of talks/signing with a European team, which is a positive for those that think Fleischmann has upside as a prospect.

In terms of this season, I agree if in camp, he will be challenging for a spot. And there is still plenty of time before camp starts. Based on a translated interview earlier this off-season, he planned to play in NA and was not ready to return to Europe. But who knows what the current situation is as that interview was awhile ago. I have no idea what he could make playing at home in the Czech Rep or another League, but agree it would be more than what he would make in the AHL.

And then there are the other 2 RFAs, also likely not signed due to a one way two way issue...Erskine and Klepis (we know Strung will celebrate if he chooses to stay in Europe this season).

Old
08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
sk84fun_dc

Caps Training Camp Schedule posted on the website

Old
08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Klepis (we know Strung will celebrate if he chooses to stay in Europe this season).

Old
08-28-2007, 07:02 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

How does everyone feel about potentially having this thread stickied for the Rookie camp. I know some here have an aversion to stickied threads .

Closed Thread