HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

energy for early morning training?

Old
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Goalie_Gal

vCash: 500
energy for early morning training?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to have enough energy to get through an early morning (very early... before business hours early) on-ice lesson. I'm the type who has to eat before I play- I burn through food really quickly- so I had an English muffin with peanutbutter on my way to the rink but that seriously wasn't enough. I was weak and exhausted halfway through and he wasn't even pushing me very hard. So I'm figuring I should get up earlier and eat more, but what? Carbs?

Thanks for any help...

PS I stay away from "energy drinks" i.e. Red Bull etc.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:28 AM
LilWinger11

Your best bet is probably whole-grain carbs with a small amount of protein. Maybe a whole-wheat bagel with peanut butter instead of the English muffin? I play early once a week too (on the ice between 6:00 and 6:15) and I usually have a bowl of oatmeal or a whole-wheat bagel and a glass of milk. You're smart to stay away from energy drinks- when the caffeine wears off, you're probably going to "crash" and feel really lousy.

I try to stay away from caffeine the day before, too, so that I can get to sleep nice and early. I usually go to bed around 10-10:30, but when I have to get up at 5:00 I try to be in bed with the lights out no later than 9:30. I could actually sleep until more like 5:30 if I wanted to rush, but I find that for some reason I feel a lot better getting on the ice if I've been awake for at least an hour.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
BigBearnier

carbs the night before, and 5 hour energy drink that morning... works wonders.

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Oatmeal is a good source of carbs, it won't give you a big jolt like coffee or other caffinated drinks, but it will keep you goin' longer.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Hank19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersMoogle View Post
Oatmeal is a good source of carbs, it won't give you a big jolt like coffee or other caffinated drinks, but it will keep you goin' longer.
Good post. Oatmeal is great. But you have to make sure that you get some protein in you too. Protein allows carb burning to last longer, giving you more energy over a longer period of time.
Carbs will give you a spike of energy but then you'll crash eventually.

I used to get up very early for workouts and what helped my muscles and mind wake up was a quick stint on the exercise bike.

Hank19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Goalie_Gal

Thanks everyone. How about a bit of milk with the oatmeal would that be enough protien?

Last edited by Goalie_Gal: 10-09-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
XweekendwarriorX

we had HS practise at 545 til 715 every day for a month than every other day after are first game started. the best thing to do i found was to eat a little bit before you went to bed than have something little or medium such as toast or a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. ceral i nver liked the milk made a bad tase in my mouth and kinda wanna puke during drills.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
we had HS practise at 545 til 715 every day for a month than every other day after are first game started. the best thing to do i found was to eat a little bit before you went to bed than have something little or medium such as toast or a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. ceral i nver liked the milk made a bad tase in my mouth and kinda wanna puke during drills.
I agree, milk is not the best before a work out as milk makes mucus and phlegm which are not good for moving and breathing. Also, milk has a lot of fat which is not good for digestion especially when shaken up from a skate. And most importantly, lactose (milk sugar) leads to lactic acid which is muscle break down and not good. Keep dry, think balance. Protein + carbs (both simple and complex) + vitamins/minerals. I'd recommend something with as many grains as you can find (whole wheat is good but flax or 12 grain is better). The bagel with peanut butter is good (I always take a table spoon of PB straight up before hockey, works wonders) take some OJ with calcium and an apple for the car ride if you want.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Peanut Butter Oatmeal.

I kid you not.

Try it before you knock it.

Take a table spoon or two of (preferably all natural) peanut butter, mix in with oatmeal and milk, microwave it and mix it together. You'll need a lot of milk to get through it, but it does taste good and it'll give you a huge energy burst.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
lampliter87

Send a message via AIM to lampliter87
jaegerbombs!

lampliter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
Orange Juice

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Nosebleed Section

Carbs the night before I'd say. I think thats funny how you say you dont have energy in the morning usually most people have tons of energy there just tired and need to shake the sleep off.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Bananas!

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Goalie_Gal

Actually I love peanutbutter and eat it straight out of the jar sometimes, so the PB oatmeal sounds like a good idea. I might stay away from the milk though because what familyguyman said makes sense, and I do sometimes have trouble digesting it.

As for not having energy in the morning, it's because I haven't eaten in several hours. It's not a matter of being tired, it's a blood sugar thing. I normally eat every few hours because my blood sugar gets low easily. So in the mornings I have to eat as soon as I get up and any strenuous activity makes it worse, so I have to really make sure I have enough fuel.

Although the jaegerbombs might make for an interesting lesson...

Old
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
MikeD

Protein isnt going to kick start your morning. as for Dairy, anything but skim or non-fat, is going to REDUCE available oxygen and carb delivery to your cells, both muscle and brain.

Runners gel (total carbohydrate) is one fast source. GOO GEL has no "hype" additives such as taurine. Two tablespoons of clover or bee honey is also a great carb source that provides about the same as a pack of goo gel.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
XweekendwarriorX

IDk if they have these where you live but we have Power Bars are coach use to bring sometimes and kids would eat half before the workout and the other half just about half way thorugh the workout.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:17 PM
rjman48

For my early morning weight-lifting, I eat whole wheat bagel with peanut butter or hi-carb cereal about 30 mins with a whey protein shake before hand. It does the trick for me. I eat the same for early AM hockey.

rjman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I usually don't eat anything. Just drink water.

Sometime I had toast and an orange juice and threw up on the ice when I was a little kid during a 6:00AM practice.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote