HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Local adult ice hockey leagues/pickup games...

Old
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
sousuffer

vCash: 500
Local adult ice hockey leagues/pickup games...

Hi, I'm a 25 year old goalie living 10 miles north of Princeton and I'm looking for adult leagues that are more competitive than the ones you find in places like Flemingon, Bridgewater, or Princeton. These are all B-level leagues. When I was living and playing in Boston, the B-level was much better (I know, Boston's a hockey town), but every rink (between 30 and 40 rinks within 20 mins of Boston) had an A league with better competition. Not to mention there was a goalie e-mail list of about 200 goalies in the Boston area where teams posted looking for help. I refuse to believe that there are no advanced hockey players in this entire region over the age of 18. So, if anyone knows of rinks (in New Jersey or the Philadelphia area) that have an A-level (or high level) league/pickup game I could join (or even sub for), I would greatly appreciate it. It's so frustrating. I am willing to travel up to an hour to find better competition (so don't worry if you think of a rink and it's "too far") and have already looked into Mennan arena and both Aspen Ice rinks in addition to the rinks I mentioned earlier. Thanks for your help!

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Since i moved back down to philly i haven't been able to play my usual pick-up... i'm looking for something down here too. Unfortunately for me i live in university city and don't have a car

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
rayearth

I played some open hockey with a private group for a while at Ice Line in West Chester but it was probably B level at best. I can give some more info about that if someone wants. They have a number of leagues too though.
http://www.iceline.info/Adult/adult_summary.htm

Also, Powerplay in Exton.
http://www.powerplayrinks.com/ice_hockey.htm#Adult

IceWorks in Aston.
http://www.iceworks.net/hockey_leagues.shtml

Of course
http://www.flyersskatezone.com/

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 02:52 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
Hi, I'm a 25 year old goalie living 10 miles north of Princeton and I'm looking for adult leagues that are more competitive than the ones you find in places like Flemingon, Bridgewater, or Princeton. These are all B-level leagues. When I was living and playing in Boston, the B-level was much better (I know, Boston's a hockey town), but every rink (between 30 and 40 rinks within 20 mins of Boston) had an A league with better competition. Not to mention there was a goalie e-mail list of about 200 goalies in the Boston area where teams posted looking for help. I refuse to believe that there are no advanced hockey players in this entire region over the age of 18. So, if anyone knows of rinks (in New Jersey or the Philadelphia area) that have an A-level (or high level) league/pickup game I could join (or even sub for), I would greatly appreciate it. It's so frustrating. I am willing to travel up to an hour to find better competition (so don't worry if you think of a rink and it's "too far") and have already looked into Mennan arena and both Aspen Ice rinks in addition to the rinks I mentioned earlier. Thanks for your help!
I know they had a pretty good one in Bristol, all the college guys coming home that played in school would play in it when they graduated. I'll see where the league is playing at now. Princeton isn't too far from here or the northeast.

stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:00 PM
sousuffer

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am going to get right on those. Much better than the suggestions I got from the Devils or Rangers boards. After living in Boston, I guess I got spoiled. Any new suggestions will also be appreciated! Thanks!

Old
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Since i moved back down to philly i haven't been able to play my usual pick-up... i'm looking for something down here too. Unfortunately for me i live in university city and don't have a car
where in university city out of curiousity?

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Where all the colleges in Philadelphia are. UPenn, Drexel, Temple, etc.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Where all the colleges in Philadelphia are. UPenn, Drexel, Temple, etc.
Temples not in University City. And I was wondering where specifically he lived in University City

Old
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Over the river west of Center City.

Old
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
ELab2

Why is everybody but the person I asked telling me where he lives? I know where University City is. I live in University City. I was asking him where he lived in University City.

Old
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Why is everybody but the person I asked telling me where he lives? I know where University City is. I live in University City. I was asking him where he lived in University City.
I thought you said 'is' also.

Old
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
haha

I live on the corner of 46th and market. I go to drexel.

Old
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
ELab2

Quote:
haha

I live on the corner of 46th and market. I go to drexel.
me too. i live in University Crossings.

Old
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
me too. i live in University Crossings.
Nice. what year are you? play any hockey? I'm a pre-junior, on my second coop as i speak. I work in the science center buildings just west of campus

Old
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Nice. what year are you? play any hockey? I'm a pre-junior, on my second coop as i speak. I work in the science center buildings just west of campus
I'm a junior. Only in a 4 year programs so I don't do my co-op till next spring. I used to play a bit but after a couple of sprained knees its been pretty difficult.

Old
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is Ed. H still coaching there? Think its Hernhisen (sp?)

Old
10-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza18 View Post
I know they had a pretty good one in Bristol, all the college guys coming home that played in school would play in it when they graduated. I'll see where the league is playing at now. Princeton isn't too far from here or the northeast.
It is Grundy Rinks in Bristol. The claim to have an A, B, and C league of play. I have been asked to play on a few teams during the summer when most of the college kids come back to play. A few guys I work with that play at IUP and West Chester played over the summer, I played at Millersville University. I have also played open hockey there in the past with different guys that play mens league there and they aren't too bad. The level of play is up in the summer because of the kids that come home from college. I am going to be back home after this year after I graduate and will probably end up playing there.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2007, 09:15 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
It is Grundy Rinks in Bristol. The claim to have an A, B, and C league of play. I have been asked to play on a few teams during the summer when most of the college kids come back to play. A few guys I work with that play at IUP and West Chester played over the summer, I played at Millersville University. I have also played open hockey there in the past with different guys that play mens league there and they aren't too bad. The level of play is up in the summer because of the kids that come home from college. I am going to be back home after this year after I graduate and will probably end up playing there.
Thought so, I played at the old Grundy's. My brother used to play at Drexel and used to play in the leagues over there. I was broke so played music for money and never got to play over there. Just heard that the rink is doing really bad right now and wasn't sure if the leagues moved to the skatezone on Comley.

Old
10-03-2007, 11:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza18 View Post
Is Ed. H still coaching there? Think its Hernhisen (sp?)
I'm not sure, i don't play for drexel

Old
10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
sousuffer

Still working on the initial suggestions, but anyone else have other ideas? Thanks.

Old
10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm not sure, i don't play for drexel
Ah ok. He was their coach but I didn't like him, he just rubbed me the wrong way.