HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ot: NHL '08 / NHL 2K8

Old
08-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Ot: NHL '08 / NHL 2K8

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/812/812229p1.html

looks good.... Ive been playing shooters since all the sports games have been garbage....

interested to see which hockey game gets the better review... looks like it could very well be 2k8.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 03:56 PM
FLYLine24*

NHL '08 looks amazing this year, Online options are the best in any EA game, new AI which learns how you play as the game goes on so you can't try the same crap move all the time, better skill stick, but best of all, the AHL is in the game with every single AHL player under contract to the NHL or AHL or played a game in the AHL last season (they got the AHLPA license)

Gameplay Footage

New Creation Zone

New Create a Play and AI Info

Improved Skill Stick

New Checking Physics and All new Skating Engine

I think NHL '08 will easily blow 2K8 out of the water when it comes to ratings this year.

Both have a release date of September 11. Last game I bought was NHL '07, hockey games at this point are really the only games that interest me, but man do I log a lot of hours playing them

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 08-12-2007 at 04:07 PM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:03 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
those videos of nhl 08, have gary thorne broadcasting if thats really whats going to be in the game, its gonnnna be siick as hell

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:09 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
wow nhl 08 looks freakin sick, cant wait

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:29 PM
King Henrik

Why is that Jersey still in there? Maybe u can wear the old ones?? I hope the new jerseys are in the final game.

King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 04:40 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik View Post

Why is that Jersey still in there? Maybe u can wear the old ones?? I hope the new jerseys are in the final game.
All new jerseys will be in NHL '08. I assume the same for 2K8.

Old
08-12-2007, 05:34 PM
BlueHavok

as an avid game player, i always buy both and sell off the worse of the two. Last couple years, I've kept the 2K series and EA's end up on Ebay---I expect this year to be no different----EA always looks better, but 2K's are always better in terms of a true-to-life NHL experience and gameplay.

2K8 gets my vote!!!!!

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:36 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
NHL '08 looks amazing this year, Online options are the best in any EA game, new AI which learns how you play as the game goes on so you can't try the same crap move all the time, better skill stick, but best of all, the AHL is in the game with every single AHL player under contract to the NHL or AHL or played a game in the AHL last season (they got the AHLPA license)

Gameplay Footage

New Creation Zone

New Create a Play and AI Info

Improved Skill Stick

count the many times Malik gets smoked by opposing players in the "creation" link.
New Checking Physics and All new Skating Engine

I think NHL '08 will easily blow 2K8 out of the water when it comes to ratings this year.

Both have a release date of September 11. Last game I bought was NHL '07, hockey games at this point are really the only games that interest me, but man do I log a lot of hours playing them

count the many times Malik gets smoked by opposing players in the "creation" link.
New Creation Zone

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 08-12-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: left out text
BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 05:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
New Creation Zone

Realism at it's best

Old
08-12-2007, 05:44 PM
ArtieAnisimov

I don't know which one to chose, I'll just try both. I like that NHL 08 has the ahl but then again NHL 2k8 has the '94 Rangers and custom soundtrack so i can put the Ranger goal song in 2k games

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
The New Originals

They both have a lot of improvements to make from last year's game. I hope both are good.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 06:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I like the feature set in NHL 08, but the realism of the 2K series can't be beat. IMO, even the recent iterations of EA Sports hockey games have been way too "arcadey" for my tastes. That pisses me off- Madden and NBA Live always strive for realism, yet we hockey games don't get the same treatment it seems. I'll give both games a look, but unless NHL 08 has a completely rebuilt game engine that possess some modicum of realism, I'll be sticking with 2k.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
NHL '08 looks amazing this year, Online options are the best in any EA game...
Do you have any info or a link to the online features for '08? I ask because the one thing that sucked about '07 was the lack of online coop play. My cousin (who lives in a different state) and I were bummed when we found out we couldn't play a season as the Rangers online together. To me this feature is more important than create a play. They really need to add it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
as an avid game player, i always buy both and sell off the worse of the two. Last couple years, I've kept the 2K series and EA's end up on Ebay---I expect this year to be no different----EA always looks better, but 2K's are always better in terms of a true-to-life NHL experience and gameplay.

2K8 gets my vote!!!!!
No offense but you cant make a decision on a game before it hits the shelves.

Last year, 07 was so much better. In 2K sports, there are insane amounts of glitches. If you play 2K7 enough you can find glitches and score a goal every single time. That and the skill stick give EA a major advantage. It is so much better than just mashing buttons. It actually takes skill.

I think NHL 08 is gonna be great, maybe the best hockey game ever

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
No offense but you cant make a decision on a game before it hits the shelves.

Last year, 07 was so much better. In 2K sports, there are insane amounts of glitches. If you play 2K7 enough you can find glitches and score a goal every single time. That and the skill stick give EA a major advantage. It is so much better than just mashing buttons. It actually takes skill.

I think NHL 08 is gonna be great, maybe the best hockey game ever
You can find money plays in any hockey game, 2k or EA. It sucks that they exist, but you just have to force yourself not to use them. And when do you mash buttons in 2k? I've never heard that game described as a button masher.

You ought to check out the feature set of 2k this year. The new Pro Control has every stick movement mapped to the right analog stick, on both offense and defense. It's used on offense to pull off slick moves but also to cradle the puck at all times- skating down the boards to can knock the puck in front to skate faster, keep it to the outside to shield it from a defender, etc... It's really in depth and looks better to me than the Skill Stick was last year in NHL 07. If 2k cleans up its clunky interface and builds upon the already solid AI (which come on, if you've played both games you'd have to acknowledge 2k beats the EA game hands down) then I'll buy the 2k game again.

Old
08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Do you have any info or a link to the online features for '08? I ask because the one thing that sucked about '07 was the lack of online coop play. My cousin (who lives in a different state) and I were bummed when we found out we couldn't play a season as the Rangers online together. To me this feature is more important than create a play. They really need to add it.
4 Online Modes:

Rank/Unranked Game (1 on 1, or 2 on 2, 3 on 3 using 2 consoles)
Shootout Mode (You have to play as both Skater and Goalie in the new Goalie Mode)
Team Games (You and your friend vs 2 other people, or 3 people vs 3 people, all on seperate consoles for 360, PS3 you can have up to 12 players)
Online Leagues (2-32 teams in the league, you can pick any team from NHL, AHL, SEL, FNL)

Old
08-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
2K7 was fantastic, but I may have to give 08 a chance.

If it does wind up being the better game, I'm still going to miss the 2K series' awesome soundtracks. Sub-Pop deal = genius.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
FLYLine24*

About 8 minutes of gameplay for '08

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 08-12-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:

Check out the article. There's also links to a few videos at the top of the page, as well as screen shots which I have to say look great.

Old
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Greg in MA

I've been a 2k guy the past few years, but I think I'll be making the switch this year.

All of the RBK edge jerseys will be available via a "secret online code" unlock feature after every team has released them near the beginning of the season.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 09:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
I've been a 2k guy the past few years, but I think I'll be making the switch this year.

All of the RBK edge jerseys will be available via a "secret online code" unlock feature after every team has released them near the beginning of the season.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...ml?sid=6173967

According to Gamespot, NHL 2k8 will have the new sweaters as well.

Old
08-12-2007, 09:58 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Check out the article. There's also links to a few videos at the top of the page, as well as screen shots which I have to say look great.

While the stills look nice, IMO the models still look awkward, thats one thing I couldn't stand in 2K.

Old
08-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
2k's presentation is terrible.

The audio, the realism of the sounds, and the models, just like FLY pointed out. Their movements are still herky jerky, and just look bad.

EA sports is back on top, in my opinion. I wish they would make MLB games again, because 2k also fails at making baseball games.

And is it just me, or does 2k release buggy games? I mean, really buggy games...

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
2k's presentation is terrible.

The audio, the realism of the sounds, and the models, just like FLY pointed out. Their movements are still herky jerky, and just look bad.

EA sports is back on top, in my opinion. I wish they would make MLB games again, because 2k also fails at making baseball games.

And is it just me, or does 2k release buggy games? I mean, really buggy games...
Can I ask how you can say EA Sports is back on top? I'm not trying to instigate here, I'm just curious how you could make that statement when neither of the games have been released.

I'm never going to argue that the 2k games can match the EA games in terms of overall presentation, but that's not why I buy them. I buy them (recently, up until '04 I was an EA guy) because they play much more realistically. I guess it's different strokes for different folks; people used to prefer Triple Play to High Heat a few years back because TP had tremendous production values; at the same time, HH actually played close to real baseball. I get the same feeling with 2k and EA, in that 2k caters more to the sim crowd.

Who knows, I'll give both of them a rent when they come out. I hope EA surprises me, I wouldn't mind going back to them and if they round out the gameplay it'll only push 2k next year.

Old
08-12-2007, 10:19 PM
otterulz

From my experiences, EA Sports games were all about flash but never followed through with gameplay. I always found the 2k games more realistic in terms of gameplay despite the graphics being less superior. Same with their FIFA series, especially since Winning Eleven started being released in the US.

otterulz is offline   Reply With Quote