HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs claim Craig Johnson; waivers!

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
And Johnson probably doesn't take stupid penalties.
Well only Pitts,Chicago, Wash, Columbus have less points than Anahiem and they waived him....

I didn't really care for Green...That;s not really the point... but a 31 year old cast off reclamation project... Does that really help but it makes a big statement that Johnson and the UFA Wilm are better or futher along than other Leafs in the system at this time.. and different than teams like Detroit or Colorado who bring up farm hand players ..Leafs go a different route and fill holes in the lineup due to injuries by adding a few cast off vets that nobody wants..

Hope there will be a time in the future when this is not the route Leafs always take..

Old
01-10-2004, 05:36 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I didn't really care for Green...That;s not really the point... but a 31 year old cast off reclamation project... Does that really help but it makes a big statement that Johnson and the UFA Wilm are better or futher along than other Leafs in the system at this time.. and different than teams like Detroit or Colorado who bring up farm hand players ..Leafs go a different route and fill holes in the lineup due to injuries by adding a few cast off vets that nobody wants..

Hope there will be a time in the future when this is not the route Leafs always take..
I think you're reading to much into this, Johnson is just a body to help the roster, he'll probably be used mostly as a replacment for Belak, then spend a lot of time in St. Johns. And the difference between the Leafs and Wings is that the Wings have had years of good drafting so they have players to call up, the leafs have had 2-3 years of good drafting. They tried bringing up their "farm hand" players (Wellwood and Leeb) and they sucked. I still would have brought Druken up, but they didn't because once everyone gets healthy SOMEONE will have to go back to the farm, and Druken is getting close to that mark where they would have to waive him, and he'd get picked up in a second.

Old
01-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I think you're reading to much into this, Johnson is just a body to help the roster, he'll probably be used mostly as a replacment for Belak, then spend a lot of time in St. Johns. And the difference between the Leafs and Wings is that the Wings have had years of good drafting so they have players to call up, the leafs have had 2-3 years of good drafting. They tried bringing up their "farm hand" players (Wellwood and Leeb) and they sucked. I still would have brought Druken up, but they didn't because once everyone gets healthy SOMEONE will have to go back to the farm, and Druken is getting close to that mark where they would have to waive him, and he'd get picked up in a second.
I don't believe you understand the waiver rules ..

They are based on age and years of service and Druken has passed both those and has been waived and claimed numerous times already by other teams.... Any player can be brought up as a injury replacement and be sent down to the farm again without waivers..... Aaron Gavey who currently leads the St. Johns Leafs in scoring could have been recalled and provided the same a player like Johnson can...

If Johnson sticks with Toronto at the expense of Belak than I am all for it... but when the injured players return and Leafs have to get below the roster limit Leafs will have to waive Johnson to send him to St. Johns and Anahiem could pick him first and then any other team..

Old
01-10-2004, 06:04 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
I don't believe you understand the waiver rules ..

They are based on age and years of service and Druken has passed both those and has been waived and claimed numerous times already by other teams.... Any player can be brought up as a injury replacement and be sent down to the farm again without waivers..... Aaron Gavey who currently leads the St. Johns Leafs in scoring could have been recalled and provided the same a player like Johnson can...
I'm not a lawyer nor do I have a ton of time to figure the CBA out, so no I don't know all the rules, I do know that Druken didn't have to clear waivers when they sent him down, which is why he was sent down. And I've heard Watters (who does know all the rules) explain thats why Druken was sent down and hasn't been back yet whenever someone calls and wants to see him back with the leafs.

Its a non-issue. They picked up a 13th foward because a lot of their guys are hurt, big deal.

Old
01-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
I'm not a lawyer nor do I have a ton of time to figure the CBA out, so no I don't know all the rules, I do know that Druken didn't have to clear waivers when they sent him down, which is why he was sent down. And I've heard Watters (who does know all the rules) explain thats why Druken was sent down and hasn't been back yet whenever someone calls and wants to see him back with the leafs.

Its a non-issue. They picked up a 13th foward because a lot of their guys are hurt, big deal.
and what would have been the difference between this move and the Islanders move of signing Cliff Ronning as a injury replacement at 800,000 for the remainder of the season..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=67363&hubName=

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CP) - The New York Islanders have signed unrestricted free-agent centre Cliff Ronning to a contract for the rest of the season after losing first-line forwards Alexei Yashin and Mark Parrish to serious injuries.

It's believed to be a one-year deal worth $800,000 US, plus bonuses, pro-rated to half the season.

QUESTION?????

Wouldn't that have been a more forward thinking move.... and with Ronning being able to generate offense with big guns like Nolan and Mogilny out.. rather than a 4th line checker with 3 points on the season that can kill a few penalties...

Old
01-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Kings fan here just wanting to tell you about CJ. He is speedy and is maybe good on the PK but thats about it. Has no offensive skills whats so ever. Watching him Shoot is like watching Rosie O'Donnell. As long as he doesn't have the puck he's not a bad player. But you'll learn pretty quickly that he sucks.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
Who?

I don't think i've ever heard of this guy.....
Never heard of him??? He was only traded for Wayne Gretzky!

In my opinion Craig Johnson is a combination of Tom Fitzgerald, Paul Healey and Todd Warriner.

Nothing to get real excited about. I'd be surprised if he's still here when the playoffs start.

Old
01-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Never heard of him??? He was only traded for Wayne Gretzky!

In my opinion Craig Johnson is a combination of Tom Fitzgerald, Paul Healey and Todd Warriner.

Nothing to get real excited about. I'd be surprised if he's still here when the playoffs start.
Yes that is right Wayne Gretzky from the Kings to the Bruins .....and he was traded with 4 other Super Stars.....Patrice Tardif, Peter Hogan, Roman Vopat and Matt Zultek, where the other players and prospects that also headed to LA...

Sweet deal for LA... If you ask me....

Actually IMO if he would have been picked up at the deadline for the playoffs ... I guess to kill a few penalties here and there , and to provide some veteren leadership for a very YOUNG and up and Coming Team like the Leafs....

Last edited by Mess: 01-11-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old
01-11-2004, 07:21 AM
leafaholix*

I heard that Vopat was a top prospect at the time.

St. Louis didn't want to let him go.

Old
01-11-2004, 07:41 AM
leafaholix*

Tenkrat's not garbage.

He's an asset... Johnson is a 4th line checker.

Old
01-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I heard that Vopat was a top prospect at the time.

St. Louis didn't want to let him go.
Don't know about that one...

He was .... Selected by St.-Louis Blues round 7 #172 overall 1994 NHL Entry Draft....and he only had 6 NHL goals in his whole NHL Career.. but he had several seasons in junior and the minors where he had 150 + penalty minutes ....you might be thinking of his brother Jan Vopat the Defenseman....

Old
01-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Red Horner*

A decent move Leeb and Wilm have shown they are not NHL players and with the Leafs old squad they always have 2 or 3 guys out of action, depth move.

Old
01-11-2004, 08:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Tenkrat's not garbage.

He's an asset... Johnson is a 4th line checker.
Actually Go Pierre Hedin.. I am not sure what kind of asset Tenkrat is ...I remember Fergy JR saying that exact line ...but several months ago Petr Tenkrat signed a 4 year NO ESCAPE CLAUSE Contract with his former Finnish team Karpat.... Since he is going on 27 and locked away now in Europe for 4 years with no intensions of returning to the NHL EVER... I myself am not sure what kind of asset that is ....

There used to be a thread on the Finnish board about that subject , but since all the changes HF have made to the system ...it is no longer there.. but I did ask the Finnish poster at the time and he explain all about the strange NO ESCAPE contract...

Old
01-11-2004, 12:31 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
A decent move Leeb and Wilm have shown they are not NHL players and with the Leafs old squad they always have 2 or 3 guys out of action, depth move.

Leeb for sure is not an NHLer. He's awful. His pre-season was a joke. Career AHLer. Canuck fans are already laughing at that trade because Mosjis is turning out apparently.

Although I can see why Quinn/Penney made the deal. They have tons of offensive D men of which Mosjis was down on the list and their AHL roster needed forward help in a big way. They figured this was a minor league deal. But if Mosjis turns out... :mad:

Old
01-11-2004, 12:34 PM
wasting time

I think the obvious point on this Green/Johnson debate is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JF did not want to pay the moulah to Green in the fourth line.

The upside has been Stajan of course. Otherwise he would have been on the Rock for most of the year.

Johnson Schmonson. He'll barely see the light of day in Toronto and then go on waivers again.

Old
01-12-2004, 06:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

WELCOME ABOARD

General manager John Ferguson believes he has a find in waiver pick-up Craig Johnson, who will join the Leafs for practice today. Johnson's low output with Anaheim (three points in 39 games this year) will improve, Ferguson believes, with a change of scenery.

"He has got some experience and he can skate," Ferguson said. "We think he'll shore up our depth up front. He's a two-way defensive forward. I saw him a lot over the years with the U.S. world junior and world championship team, then Los Angeles and now Anaheim."

Old
01-12-2004, 09:57 AM
OldTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
WELCOME ABOARD

General manager John Ferguson believes he has a find in waiver pick-up Craig Johnson, who will join the Leafs for practice today. Johnson's low output with Anaheim (three points in 39 games this year) will improve, Ferguson believes, with a change of scenery.

"He has got some experience and he can skate," Ferguson said. "We think he'll shore up our depth up front. He's a two-way defensive forward. I saw him a lot over the years with the U.S. world junior and world championship team, then Los Angeles and now Anaheim."
What's he gonna say...."Ummmmmm we picked up this bum. He'll play a game or two then we're sending him packing on the first bus outta town"

It's not an earth shattering move, but it is an improvement over Nathan Perrot, Leeb and Wellwood.

Closed Thread