HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Fan Looking forward to Sat. tilt

Old
10-05-2007, 09:04 AM
bcrt2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asharx View Post
I am giong to be at the game tomorrow night also. I am really looking forward to it. I hope they have Prucha moved up to the 2nd line, I like that guy. He is probably my favorite Ranger.
I'm going to the game as well, driving up from the Toronto-area to cheer on my Rangers

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Dont roast me for this because it is a personal oppinion, but I think Drury is overratted. Gomez was a great addition, and Drury can be if used correctly. Im not sure about him on the 1st line....he is a perfect 2nd liner though.
I wouldn't look at it as a 1st and 2nd line anyway, more of a 1 and 1A. Gomez has more offensive skill than Drury, I think that's definitely true, but the center on the top line is going to be whoever has the most chemistry with Jagr. And it's only been three games, but they've looked better together than Jagr and Gomer did early on in the preseason.

Tom Renney jumbles his lines pretty often though, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gomez shifts up to Jagr's line at some point during the season.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Im interested to see this game. Im very skeptical about the Rangers...I think they are a top end team even without the additions...I just wonder what the additions will do to the team.

Dont roast me for this because it is a personal oppinion, but I think Drury is overratted. Gomez was a great addition, and Drury can be if used correctly. Im not sure about him on the 1st line....he is a perfect 2nd liner though.

Other than Ottawa, the only team I will cheer for is the Rangers...so I hope it works out (but not se well that it harms Ottawa ).

My biggest concern for them is chemistry.
What are 'Things people said about Michael Nylander as a first liner alex'

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:22 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gampy View Post
I dunno. Do you think the NY media will crap on the Rangers if they lose? There are some big expectations I would think. If these guys need 10 games to gel, I think somethings wrong. I imagine that if any chemistry is going to develop, it would be right about now.

I don't think the Sens are firing on all cylinders either, IMO. They were out worked by the Leafs and their PP was not too good. Toronto worked hard, but as always, shoot themselves in the foot.
Uhhh, you're pretty wrong there.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:53 AM
CGL77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
IMO..the Sens win this game 4-1. Rangers need a lot more time to get used to each other so I see an easy victory for the sens.

I for one won't cry over a loss since i see it coming.
Yea, I have the same feeling about this game.

The Sens are as high at kites, with two consecutive wins against the Leafs and the Rangers still have some work to do. Thank God they don't give the cup out in the fall.

However, I will probably still cry tomorrow night.

CGL77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Lookin forward to this game as well as I think it's more of a test for the Rangers then the other way around.

Rangers have some kinks to work out like others have mentioned...

-B
I definitely think this is more of a test for the Rangers to prove they belong amongst the Eastern Conference's elite. As some have said it's crazy to come away with any analysis from Game #2 in the season but it's a great way to start up the away part of the schedule against the East's reigning champion.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:00 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
What are 'Things people said about Michael Nylander as a first liner alex'
Absolutely agree: look at Lang and Nylander (twice), Jagr is more than capable of turning a second line player into a first liner, merely by playing alongside him. The difference with Drury is that he already has those sorts of leadership/intangibles that you hope for in a first line center.

I do expect to see Gomer in there at some point during the regular season, if Renney needs to do some juggling at some point, but I think Drury will do just fine.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
John Torturella

As they showed last night, the Rangers offense is like a time bomb. They have 3 very solid lines. I think goaltending and team depth will give the Rangers the edge tomorrow night. If Hank plays well, the Rangers will win. The Senators have a great top line but the Rangers have 3 lines that can put up points. Im liking the Rangers in a 5-3 win. Ryan Callahan really flys under the radar from a non-Rangers fan's perspective. He hits everything that moves, and forechecks alot more and harder than most people. He also shoots when the oppurtunity presents itself. If he gets more ice time he will net 30 this year. The Rangers strength is depth and thats why they will win tomorrow. Im not entirely worried about the gelling of line mates. They played very well last night and seem to be getting together. Plus, if Emery doesnt play, I dont see Gerber stopping the Rangers. I cant wait though. I guess there is a reason the game is played.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 03:17 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Uhhh, you're pretty wrong there.
Yeah really. that's like saying "I just started a new job, but if it takes 10 days for me to get up to speed, then i dont deserve it"

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
IMO..the Sens win this game 4-1. Rangers need a lot more time to get used to each other so I see an easy victory for the sens.
I find this line of thinking more than a little amusing. The Rangers have 17 players back from the playoffs last year plus Strudwick and Dubinsky who were here at the end of the season. There are really only 3 new guys in the lineup. Compared to other teams in the league, the Rangers have had very low turnover.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 06:50 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

This shouldn't turn into an argument thread....

Ottawa my guess would be winning this by 1 or 2 goals, but Rangers should keep it close, maybe we'll break away with the two points..but not if any of our periods were like our second period on opening night. Against your top line, I don't think we could bounce back from that.

As for thoughts on Jagr: Jagr is Jagr.. Jagr is good, Jagr is healthy, Jagr is merging with his new center but still will find open lanes because Jagr is that good.

Shanahan: Some shots on goal opening night, really seemed to get into his own late in the pre-season but last night didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Should be a very fun game, It will be the last game I get to watch until the 18th? I believe, I'll be away in Florida from the 8th-15th, with no NHL.TV since it ends the 9th, it sucks..oh well. RADIO! Hopefully.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Noonan25

so you are saying Ottawa is better than the Rangers?

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
so you are saying Ottawa is better than the Rangers?
If your speaking to me, quote my line on saying Ottawa is better than the Rangers.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Im interested to see this game. Im very skeptical about the Rangers...I think they are a top end team even without the additions...I just wonder what the additions will do to the team.

Other than Ottawa, the only team I will cheer for is the Rangers...so I hope it works out (but not se well that it harms Ottawa ).

My biggest concern for them is chemistry.
And we all pegged michael nylander as a first liner when he was signed a few years back

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:15 AM
gampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
This shouldn't turn into an argument thread....

Ottawa my guess would be winning this by 1 or 2 goals, but Rangers should keep it close, maybe we'll break away with the two points..but not if any of our periods were like our second period on opening night. Against your top line, I don't think we could bounce back from that.

As for thoughts on Jagr: Jagr is Jagr.. Jagr is good, Jagr is healthy, Jagr is merging with his new center but still will find open lanes because Jagr is that good.

Shanahan: Some shots on goal opening night, really seemed to get into his own late in the pre-season but last night didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Should be a very fun game, It will be the last game I get to watch until the 18th? I believe, I'll be away in Florida from the 8th-15th, with no NHL.TV since it ends the 9th, it sucks..oh well. RADIO! Hopefully.
Of all the Eastern Conference teams, I am more nervous about the Sens meeting the Rangers...chemistry or not. Off-season trades notwithstanding, I just have a gut feeling that they will be dangerous. Especially to a team like Ottawa that is only really using 3 lines at the moment.

What are Lundquist's weaknesses? Just curious, I have not had a chance to see him play outside of the occasional playoff game last year.

I think playing in Ottawa, they will try to play a solid road game, nose to the grindstone, and all that.

Ottawa is a tough rink to play in, but so is Madispn Square Garden, so I am sure the noise won't bother your players.

gampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:33 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gampy View Post
Of all the Eastern Conference teams, I am more nervous about the Sens meeting the Rangers...chemistry or not. Off-season trades notwithstanding, I just have a gut feeling that they will be dangerous. Especially to a team like Ottawa that is only really using 3 lines at the moment.

What are Lundquist's weaknesses? Just curious, I have not had a chance to see him play outside of the occasional playoff game last year.

I think playing in Ottawa, they will try to play a solid road game, nose to the grindstone, and all that.

Ottawa is a tough rink to play in, but so is Madispn Square Garden, so I am sure the noise won't bother your players.
Other than him giving us a heart attack every time he handles the puck, he really doesn't have any. I'm sure someone will comment that he's "weak" high on the glove hand...but show me a goalie who can stop a perfectly placed shot over the shoulder and just below the crossbar.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

as far as i can tell henrik has 2 weaknesses.

1 is that he simply is a nightmare when trying to handle the puck behind the net. hes not just bad, hes awful, probably among the worst in the nhl....ever.....hes REALLY bad back there.

2 he plays very very very deep in his net, which does give the shooters much more to shoot at than most goalies. he makes up for it with his faster than lightning quick reflexes, but if he played out just a bit more, one would think he would be better. he tried it last year and it didnt work, but i refuse to believe something as..."sensical" as cutting off angles doesnt work.

thats all i can think of.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:41 AM
RayzorFan1*

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not a Jagr fan but I like the Rangers, and their fans and am definitely looking forward to seeing the new look Rangers!

RayzorFan1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:40 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
1 is that he simply is a nightmare when trying to handle the puck behind the net. hes not just bad, hes awful, probably among the worst in the nhl....ever.....hes REALLY bad back there.
I do wonder why he doesn't spend more time working on that. Obviously I don't know that he hasn't, but you'd think we would have heard something if he spent some time on it over the summer.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I do wonder why he doesn't spend more time working on that. Obviously I don't know that he hasn't, but you'd think we would have heard something if he spent some time on it over the summer.
yeah, not sure why hes so damn bad. hes terrible at recognizing when he should go, and when he shouldnt. if he could just fix THAT aspect of it, hed be a bazillion times better at it than he is right now. that recognition is very much a coachable thing. you dont have to be dipietro or brodeur back there to be a good puck control guy, but you should never be a detriment to your team the way henrik can be.

its worrisome for me sometimes. but then again, i think to myself, the kid is younger than me, and im in my 20's lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:51 AM
ohbaby

OTT and ANA went to the finals for one reason. Defense. Don't forget that.

We have our hands full Saturday.

There not gonna turn the puck over like FLA did in their zone.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-06-2007 at 03:59 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:24 AM
eco's bones

I really think the Rangers have their hands full with this one. To me the Rangers have a definite edge in goal but Ottawa is a bigger and usually the more physical team-and probably will be better defensively. That's where Henrik will hopefully make a difference and even things out. Alfredsson and Heatley though have been Ranger killers in the past. We have to stop them to win this one. As others have mentioned the Rangers are still working on chemistry. 6 preseason games might not be enough considering all the Hartford bound players we give ice time to. It does help in the sense you don't wind up taking hurt players into the season but I think it factors into the chemistry issue this early. We'll see. It will be fun if we win--not so much if we don't. Hopefully no one gets injured for either team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote