Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So called Cup Hangover

Old
10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
MOENing

vCash: 500
So called Cup Hangover

Are we looking like we have it or don't have the cup hangover?

I know were only three games in but compared to carolina and tampa bay where are we heading what were their records after three games or five games or ten games.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

I just can't see it happening to the Ducks. They may not be the same team they were last year, but they are still damn good. If they don't win the Pacific, they'll finsh 4th or 5th.

Plus, do you think Phil Pritchard wants to suffer Burke's wrath?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensaint View Post
Are we looking like we have it or don't have the cup hangover?

I know were only three games in but compared to carolina and tampa bay where are we heading what were their records after three games or five games or ten games.
Have you ever heard of punctuation? geez man. And it's way to early to know this. It's possible for the Ducks to suck this year. A key player can go down at any time and there goes your season..so who knows.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
lwvs84

Send a message via AIM to lwvs84
I think we can lose 1 key player for a stretch. We're down 3 at the moment and still gave the Wings a run for their money and split with the Kings (who many think will make playoffs). The injuries combined with the potential Cup Hangover could easily have started 0-3 instead of 1-1-1. A team that had such a big makeover couldn't be asked to do too much more than this, and that's without playing the first two overseas. We lost two key (arguably the two most important) players from the Cup run, replaced them with two players that played for our biggest competition of the playoffs (though they may not say it or consciously feel it, there had to have been some sub-conscious resentment at least at first), lost a key player from our second line as well. We'll be able to gauge the team a lot better in a month or two, but I think this team will be fine. Will they be the same team as last year? Assuming this is the roster no they won't, you don't replace a Scott Nieds or Teemu Selanne. But they are still one of the top teams in the league and will contend if Bert and Schneider play the best they can play and don't get injured too much.

Here's to talking about another Cup hangover next year at this time!

lwvs84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Jezz*

Not so much Cup hangover, more like flying across the effing atlantic ocean hangover. F#cking bettman.

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezz View Post
Not so much Cup hangover, more like flying across the effing atlantic ocean hangover. F#cking bettman.
agreed

I think they could have:

1) more time to recover
2) Start @ home
3) Not play probably the biggest powerhouse in the west

Plus we're missing Pahlson, Schnedier and Giguere (although Bryz played great).

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
lux_interior

I'm not worried at all about the 1-1-1 start. Especially considering we started out in freaking London, then played at Detroit. Three points in three games is fine.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Randall Graves*

Too early to tell with the travel. What would you consider a cup hangover?Missing the playoffs? We don't have a roster as good as last years at the moment. I do however think if Teemu comes back we have the roster to go deep into the playoffs again, the one thing we lack right now is a pressence like him up front and if he returns you have all your top six perfectly situated.

Carlyle has proven he can get these guys to play, it's just a matter of the players wanting to go through what they did last year again.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
agreed

I think they could have:

1) more time to recover
2) Start @ home
3) Not play probably the biggest powerhouse in the west

Plus we're missing Pahlson, Schnedier and Giguere (although Bryz played great).
Missing Pahlsson and Schneider is very important to this team. The center for the shutdown line is significant b/c of chemistry. That would put Marchant onto the fourth line for added center depth and speed! Schneider helps out tremendously b/c Hnidy or DiPenta will not play AND Hnidy or DiPenta will get less time on the ice!!! Oh yeah... and Schneider helps out on the PP's other unit. So having 3 points in three games, with one against the favorites to win the Cup, Wings, is promising.

The top question one should be inquiring about is Bobby Ryan... what happened?

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Justarrived

Not a bad start with the monstrous road trip and I choose to look at it as one of the brutal east coast road trips out of the way early so coming out 1-1-1 so far isn't looking so bad. If we stay healthy and get even one of Selanne or Nieds back we are looking very good for a strong playoff showing. (crazy we're making such predictions so early in the season)

Justarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 12:13 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Kings fan here, fellas... aside from ALL this, you can't expect to get off to the start you did last season. contrary to how you may feel and how badass your team is, it WAS an anomaly.

don't get spoiled!

all things completely disregarded, a 1-1-1 start is perfectly fine to start any season and is in NO way an indicator of things to come.

tonight Colorado got blanked by Nashville, Phoenix beat St. Louis, and Edmonton bested San Jose... three winners who i doubt are going to make the playoffs.

that said, a "cup hangover" as it were is VERY real. repeating as champions is the hardest thing to do in just about every sport. there is a definite reason why it hasn't happened for a decade in the NHL.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Mooseduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Kings fan here, fellas... aside from ALL this, you can't expect to get off to the start you did last season. contrary to how you may feel and how badass your team is, it WAS an anomaly.

don't get spoiled!

all things completely disregarded, a 1-1-1 start is perfectly fine to start any season and is in NO way an indicator of things to come.

tonight Colorado got blanked by Nashville, Phoenix beat St. Louis, and Edmonton bested San Jose... three winners who i doubt are going to make the playoffs.

that said, a "cup hangover" as it were is VERY real. repeating as champions is the hardest thing to do in just about every sport. there is a definite reason why it hasn't happened for a decade in the NHL.
The Ducks will be fine.

I heard the new Vegas logo is a five card hand with a traditional King logo at the center. Sounds good, I think your team will do well in the new AEG building. Will you continue to follow the Vegas Kings or switch over the OC Aces?

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 06:34 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Don't forget, a Cup hangover is partly mental, and mostly physical. You have to stay away from injuries, point blank. A huge part of the Canes problem last year was the fact that two defensemen missed half the season and three others missed about 25% of the season. It's hard to recover from that, and you never know how and when.

This 1-1-1 start the Ducks are on have nothing to do with what your team is capable of, I would disregard it highly. Too early, and this team travel schedule right now sucks.

Last edited by HughJass*: 10-05-2007 at 06:40 AM.
HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Plus, do you think Phil Pritchard wants to suffer Burke's wrath?
Phil Pritchard owns. He came to our gameworn expo last year and brought tons of All-Star gamers through the years from the HOF. The year before that he brought a Seattle Metropolitans and Bobby Clarke's Flin Flon jersey. So sick.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:11 PM
kasper11

I don't know about a cup hangover, but I have never seen a team as screwed as you guys on the early season schedule. Back to back games in London, then two games off and three in four nights? All on the road? I think they are probably still jetlagged.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:42 PM
MOENing

One thing to make clear I in no way think were off to bad start. On bad game columbus. and a few players gone it's like the middle of the season last year.

Last edited by MOENing: 10-07-2007 at 04:10 PM.
MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezz View Post
Stanley Cup Champions. Get over it.

... LOL, it's too easy to make fun of kings fans now.
You make it sound like it has been hard in the past...

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote