HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #8, Part III

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2007, 08:06 AM
shawnmullin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Sorry guys, I expected to have internet access in Salmon Arm and didn't.

I'll get on my pick now.

Old
10-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a link to original (as opposed to later iterations) PCHL scoring tables? I know some fine players took the ice in that league (Taylor, Nighbor, Pitre, Foyston, et al) and a few PCHL teams won the Cup, but I'm kind of allergic to guys from leagues that don't have posted scoring tables available for inspection, nevermind the issue of the league having only three teams for much of the period in question. Wikipedia and hockeydb have not proven helpful.

I've googled the PCHA but because the acronym has been so often recycled, the search coughed up nothing of use, the most interesting site being this one. Now I must wash my hands.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:15 AM
God Bless Canada

mullin's time is up, and I'm ready to pick, but I'll give him 15 minutes to make up his mind.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:21 AM
shawnmullin

Sorry guys having some issues this morning.

Those bus trips always mess with ya, that's what I'll blame.

Ugh missing time limits, sorry. Thanks for the patience.

Victoria is proud to select a man who was a huge part in Montreal's 1993 Stanley Cup Victory. He scored 23 points in 20 games during the run to that Cup. A top line player in the regular season and playoffs who played at a more than PPG pace until slowed in his last few seasons. Played a strong two-way game while scoring over 1200 points in his long career. Only broke 40 goals once, but came close several times while showing a great ability to create chances and set up his line mates. Showed longevity with nearly 1400 games in a tough NHL and 140 games in the playoffs. Went out on a high note as the Sharks made a run to the Conference Finals and he put up 14 points to help lead them there.

C/LW Vincent Damphousse

Last edited by shawnmullin: 10-07-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old
10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
God Bless Canada

Halifax RCAF is pleased to select a perennial raleh favourite. A slick, skilled playmaking centre to lead our second line. He became the first player to win the Hart Trophy and the Lady Byng Trophy in the same year in 1948. Won two Stanley Cup trophies with Montreal. He was coming into his own as a player when he was involved in a car accident, after which he was never the same player. Canada's athlete of the year in 1948:

C Buddy O'Connor

Old
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
shawnmullin

I was looking hard at Buddy but settled on Vinny. A couple other guys I had in mind too that I kind of changed my mind on last minute. That was part of the reason for my delay.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
EagleBelfour

With our 12th pick, the 292nd overall in this year draft, the Detroit Falcons are very please to select center Ralph Backstrom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
Ralph Backstrom was a swift skater with a deft scoring touch whose defensive and team-oriented play earned him accolades throughout his career. The most significant years of his pro tenure were spent with the Montreal Canadiens, with whom he won the Stanley Cup six times between 1959 and 1969. [...] Although he was overshadowed by Montreal's top two centers, Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard, Backstrom became an important two-way forward on six Stanley Cup-winning teams. He and teammate Claude Provost garnered reputations as two of the most dogged forwards in the game. Even though he often drew checking assignments, Backstrom produced five 20-goal seasons, including a personal high of 27 in 1961-62. Years later, Backstrom reflected on this period: "There were times in my career that I felt I could have played better statistically if I would have played on another team besides the Canadiens. But there was nothing like the team successes that the Canadiens had during the time I played with them."
Stanley Cup (1959, 1960, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969)
Calder Memorial Trophy (1959)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1965, 1967)

Old
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
shawnmullin

Backstrom is a good pick but that's not a flattering photo. Makes him look about 3 feet tall.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
Backstrom is a good pick but that's not a flattering photo. Makes him look about 3 feet tall.
I'll change that just for ya!

Old
10-07-2007, 10:49 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin View Post
I was looking hard at Buddy but settled on Vinny. A couple other guys I had in mind too that I kind of changed my mind on last minute. That was part of the reason for my delay.
You would have been able to hear my profanity if you would have picked O'Connor. He's one of raleh's all-time favourites, and I was waiting to pick him, knowing that raleh's the only GM who has ever picked him this soon. (He went late in the 14th round of the last draft). When raleh sent his list before leaving for Greece of who he wants, O'Connor was at the top of his list.

Eagle, Backstrom is a good pick. For the first time ever, he gets picked right around where he should. One of the top five two-way line centres in the draft. He's smart, he's quick and he's skilled, too. Would have put up excellent numbers if he wasn't playing behind some guys named Beliveau and Richard in Montreal. Better than quite a few guys picked ahead of him. Good news is there is still a lot of good centres of that ilk remaining.

Old
10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a link to original (as opposed to later iterations) PCHL scoring tables? I know some fine players took the ice in that league (Taylor, Nighbor, Pitre, Foyston, et al) and a few PCHL teams won the Cup, but I'm kind of allergic to guys from leagues that don't have posted scoring tables available for inspection, nevermind the issue of the league having only three teams for much of the period in question. Wikipedia and hockeydb have not proven helpful.

I've googled the PCHA but because the acronym has been so often recycled, the search coughed up nothing of use, the most interesting site being this one. Now I must wash my hands.
There's not much on the web, the best sites are defunct. Here's one via the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/200507140...ues/PCHA-1.htm

I have this, cleaned up a bit, in a word doc if you want it.

http://www.hockeyleaguehistory.com/index.html has some info, but not yearly top 10 scoring leaders or such.

There's some great stuff here as well Backcheck: A Hockey Retrospective

Get a copy of The Trail of the Stanley Cup by Charles L. Coleman if you can. A true treasure trove of info covering 1893 to 1967. I lucked in to a copy of all 3 volumes for $10, and don't even begrudge the dead arm I got lugging it around for an hour after I bought it.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
pitseleh

Wow, EB has some ridiculous depth at center.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:10 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Eagle, Backstrom is a good pick. For the first time ever, he gets picked right around where he should. One of the top five two-way line centres in the draft. He's smart, he's quick and he's skilled, too. Would have put up excellent numbers if he wasn't playing behind some guys named Beliveau and Richard in Montreal. Better than quite a few guys picked ahead of him. Good news is there is still a lot of good centres of that ilk remaining.
The fact that he played with Claude Provost was a big reason why I selected him. Him and Provost won't have the chance yet again to play on the top-6, but they were so dominant on a third line role. EDIT (false statement!). I hope people will not only acknowledge their defensive dominance, but also their offensive productivity, as both were able to notch some goals from tiem to time: Provost had 9 15+ goals season and Backstrom 6 20+ goals season, all that when their first priority was to defend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Wow, EB has some ridiculous depth at center.
Thank You! When your first two pick in the draft are center, you hope that centers will be one of your strenght

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 10-07-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old
10-07-2007, 11:13 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
The fact that he played with Claude Provost was a big reason why I selected him. Him and Provost won't have the chance yet again to play on the top-6, but they were so dominant on a third line role. Together, they've participate to the All-Star game in 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1965 and 1967. How rare does 2 defensive mind players participate in the all-star game, let alone 6 time as linemate? At the time, people recognize their work, as the best two-way duo of the 1960's. I hope people will not only acknowledge their defensive dominance, but also their offensive productivity, as both were able to notch some goals from tiem to time: Provost had 9 15+ goals season and Backstrom 6 20+ goals season, all that when their first priority was to defend.

Thank You! When your first two pick in the draft are center, you hope that centers will be one of your strenght
The reason they participated in five of those six all-star games together was because they won the Stanley Cup (exception being 1962), and the Cup champions played league all-stars in the all-star game back then. But to have those two together gives you a very dangerous two-way line, likely the best in the draft. Whoever plays you will need a healthy dose of depth, because you could have Sylvain Turgeon on that line, and still have one of the best two-way lines in the draft.

(I've wanted to see the league go back to that all-star format for a while. Frankly, I think the game would be a lot closer than people might think, especially if the NHL all-stars ignored defensive players).

Incidentally, Claude Provost has played in the most all-star games (11) among players eligible for the HHOF. And while some would question the validity of that stat, since he got on by being part of the Cup champs, I value that more than guys who get in the all-star game via fan balloting or the "every team must be represented" rule.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The reason they participated in five of those six all-star games together was because they won the Stanley Cup (exception being 1962), and the Cup champions played league all-stars in the all-star game back then.
My bad, I must of knew that! Thought those all-star thing ended in the 1950's, although it make so much sense that I can't believe it passed through my mind. I'm reading too much university stuff, need to read some good old hockey books to keep my reflexes!. Thanks for claring this out! I still think they were one of the better defensive duo of the 1960's though

*Go hit the book, shameful*

Question: why 1962 the exception?

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 10-07-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old
10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
EagleBelfour

I have HO pick.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:31 AM
God Bless Canada

This might be the longest we've had to wait for Murph's pick in this, or any, draft. (With the exception of his infamous Thanksgiving "beer storm" from ATD #6).

At least with Murph you know he'll be prompt when he does come online.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Murphy

I'm here!

The Edmonton Oilers select as their player coach: Jacques Lemaire

Old
10-07-2007, 11:48 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I'm here!

The Edmonton Oilers select as their player coach: Jacques Lemaire
Reggie Dunlop?

Old
10-07-2007, 11:49 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider
Hi EB,

Please pick Rob Ramage for me if you'll be around today.

Thanks,

- Peter

Old
10-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Thanks BM. Yeah, I wasn't getting very far in my research at the Colorado Gay Ice Hockey Association website, though a really nice guy named Lance did tell me that he could help me find out more about the league's top scorers. Pleasant, but strange - he kept asking me if I'm a butterfly goalie. Whatever. I gave him arrbez's e-mail address.

The PCHA is kind of the lost continent of hockey history. A good number of all-time greats played in the league, but finding reliable information about those old teams and skaters is remarkably difficult, and I'm way past the point of accepting what the HHOF says on face value.

Some interesting picks today...

- Damphousse has always been a strong playoff performer, even when he wasn't that great in the regular season. One real knock on Vinny is that he was absolutely terrible about taking cheap-ass penalties in the offensive zone, often nowhere near the play. It used to drive me nuts. A quick look at him PIMs over the years proves my point - they are grossly out of whack with what one would expect out of a soft scoringline forward (and Vinny was soft; I'm not sure I ever saw him throw a body check). Vinny had a good career and I guess he's useful as a low-end 2nd line left winger. As a center, I dunno...there's just a lot of talent at that position, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Damphousse on a 3rd line. He played well enough in his own zone, but I wouldn't call him anything close to elite defensively and he was the antithesis of a banger.

- O'Connor is an interesting pick. It's a shame he got hurt in the season after his Hart because maybe his career would have turned out differently. Seems like the Hart season was his only big offensive year, though, as the only other times he cracked 40 points were 42-45, and we all know what was going on in the league then. I could see using O'Connor as a 4th liner, but a second liner?! Tell me what I am missing here, GBC, because I don't see it and I have a lot of respect for you and raleh as GMs, so I assume that I must be missing something.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:55 AM
God Bless Canada

THG18 is now up. In his last post, he said to give him three hours (so until about 3 p.m. EST), and if he still hasn't picked, to skip him. BM, what's your call? Give him three hours? Nine hours? Or just skip him now? He hasn't been around since his last post.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
i left my list with bm67 ill be atwork for another 4 hrs

Old
10-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I've go arrbez's list whenever we decide what to do with THG's pick.

Old
10-07-2007, 12:07 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Thanks BM. Yeah, I wasn't getting very far in my research at the Colorado Gay Ice Hockey Association website, though a really nice guy named Lance did tell me that he could help me find out more about the league's top scorers. Pleasant, but strange - he kept asking me if I'm a butterfly goalie. Whatever. I gave him arrbez's e-mail address.

The PCHA is kind of the lost continent of hockey history. A good number of all-time greats played in the league, but finding reliable information about those old teams and skaters is remarkably difficult, and I'm way past the point of accepting what the HHOF says on face value.

Some interesting picks today...

- Damphousse has always been a strong playoff performer, even when he wasn't that great in the regular season. One real knock on Vinny is that he was absolutely terrible about taking cheap-ass penalties in the offensive zone, often nowhere near the play. It used to drive me nuts. A quick look at him PIMs over the years proves my point - they are grossly out of whack with what one would expect out of a soft scoringline forward (and Vinny was soft; I'm not sure I ever saw him throw a body check). Vinny had a good career and I guess he's useful as a low-end 2nd line left winger. As a center, I dunno...there's just a lot of talent at that position, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting Damphousse on a 3rd line. He played well enough in his own zone, but I wouldn't call him anything close to elite defensively and he was the antithesis of a banger.

- O'Connor is an interesting pick. It's a shame he got hurt in the season after his Hart because maybe his career would have turned out differently. Seems like the Hart season was his only big offensive year, though, as the only other times he cracked 40 points were 42-45, and we all know what was going on in the league then. I could see using O'Connor as a 4th liner, but a second liner?! Tell me what I am missing here, GBC, because I don't see it and I have a lot of respect for you and raleh as GMs, so I assume that I must be missing something.
raleh could probably tell you more about O'Connor than I could. raleh had him in two drafts, and he topped raleh's wish list that he left with me before he went to Greece.

O'Connor was an exceptional offensive centre, though. Keep in mind that in the late 40s/early 50s, nobody put up big point totals. He had a point-per-game in 48, and he finished one point behind Art Ross winner Elmer Lach. (And it wasn't like there was a derth of talent in the late 40s/early 50s). Definitely good enough to be a second-line centre in a 28-team draft. Slick, skilled centre who made those around him better.

He definitely wouldn't be a good fourth line centre, unless your fourth line is a miscellaneous line or another scoring line.

Closed Thread