HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dan Girardi

Old
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Jay88*

vCash: 500
Dan Girardi

Dan Girardi, what can I say.

I liked his basic game from last season, very smart and stable defensively. Now I watch him last night with that effort woth out his stick and his big hit along the boards. I am liking, well loving what i am seeing from this kid, the more he plays and more mature he gets NYR is going to have a true winner ( not that they dont already ) with this kid on there hands. If he continues to stay physical and get a nasty edge,well his smart play on the D side of the game will be huge for years to come. A kid that can be that reliale #2 D-man. you dont have to be a big point prodyucer to be a # 1 pairing dman, thats just my opinion.

this kid will become one of the best shut down D men in the lreague, I just enjoy watching the kid playespecially since he plays the style of defense that i like to play when I play hockey.

i may seem like Im jumping the gun here but i dont think I have seen a propsect look this solid Defensivly in years for NYR.

So whats people on opinions on this, sorry if this is a on going thread already.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Levitate

I think he and Tyutin are the best defensive pairing on the team, and I'd rather have them matched up against opposing teams top lines...even better that they're both playing more physical these days

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
The Big Apple

Girardi played the body very well last night... He seems like a smarter player this year....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:01 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think he and Tyutin are the best defensive pairing on the team, and I'd rather have them matched up against opposing teams top lines...even better that they're both playing more physical these days
Agreed. Both are as solid as they come and you rarely see either of them make a bonehead mistake.

I can't believe between the 2 of them they only have 2 1/2 years NHL expirence.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
TomLaidlaw

I was actually gonna start a Girardi thread today too. Is it just me or does he look physically imposing this year. He must have hit the weight room hard in the off season, the guy looks solid. He also carries himself on the ice like a 10 year vet, there is a real confidence about the way he plays. Nothing flashy just efficient.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Pretty amazing that he was undrafted.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Speedtrials

Girardi and Tyutin looked absolutely awesome last night. Not only were they condfident in their own zone, but they each played the most consistantly physical game I have ever seen either of them play. Also like others have brought up, it really is amazing that Girardi wasnt drafted, excellent job by the front office to find him, and help turn him into what he is today. Lastly anyone else notice his shot looked a lot stronger than it did last year. Not saying he is going to score 20 goals, but I can see him hovering from anywhere between 5-10 in the future.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I was actually gonna start a Girardi thread today too. Is it just me or does he look physically imposing this year. He must have hit the weight room hard in the off season, the guy looks solid. He also carries himself on the ice like a 10 year vet, there is a real confidence about the way he plays. Nothing flashy just efficient.
Agreed, looks like he will be knocking quite a few blocks off this year. He's strong, really bullish looking on his skates and he's what 6'2''? He's gotta be around 220-230 lbs. or so.

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
He looked great, and I love his pairing with Toots. Girardi seemed to come into this game with a lot of confidence. Even on the sequence without his stick when Florida eventually scored, he made some really inventive plays to frustrate the Panthers.

We shouldn't take anything away from Rozsival, though, I thought he had a great game and showed why he's on the Rangers' top pairing. He's the most dynamic d-man we have right now.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Agreed, looks like he will be knocking quite a few blocks off this year. He's strong, really bullish looking on his skates and he's what 6'2''? He's gotta be around 220-230 lbs. or so.
He definitely looks bigger and certainly confident last night. One thing I noticed during the intros is that Girardi and Dubi dropped visors along with Staal who dropped his prior to the last pre-season game. Pretty cool to see all 6 defensemen visorless. Old time hockey.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
TomLaidlaw

Plus Girardi went with the single digit number. (looks cooler)

Old
10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Plus Girardi went with the single digit number. (looks cooler)
Cept he went with #5...bad number. I don't want to be reminded of Dale.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
I'm not even going to say anything...every single one of you just hit the nail on the head as far as how I feel about Girardi and I don't think I could have said it any better.

Its taking me some time getting used to him being # 5, but w/e.

Love this kid...awesome find for the Rangers.

Mannn did he take the body yesterday and lay a few guys out. Especially on that offsides play for the Cats when he just thrust that player onto his ass and everyone tried to jump him.

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 02:47 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

I saw Dan practicing his eye gouge move before the game.

Old
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Couldn't agree more... this is the best pair we have BY FAR. Girardi got caught deep a few times last night and was lost without his stick on the 2nd goal against, but I think if he keeps it simple he will be a rock for this team all season long.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I love Girardi. He's kind of an underdog as he went undrafted, and I always love the underdog. He stepped up for us last season and I'm expecting continued improvement from him this season.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
n_a_c

Last night Girardi played the most minutes of any defenseman. I was thrilled with his physical play, and thrilled that Renney gave him some powerplay time. Well deserved reward for great work. If he can continue to improve like he has - then watch out - he could be awesome.

I think he already has the second best outlet pass (after Malik), and is probably the second best passer in the offensive zone (after Rozsival), and the second best hitter (after Tyutin), and probably the second best shot (after Mara). Defensively, he is rock steady, although I'd put him after Malik & Rozsival & perhaps Tyutin). Overall a very good package. I'm more excited about him than anyone except Staal, because Girardi has always managed to impress and over-deliver. Lets not count a chicken before it hatches, but this Girardi is one good young hockey player.

All that being said, I want to put in my two cents that Rozsival and Malik are clearly the top pair right now. I hope that by the end of the year Girardi and Tyutin can pass them, that would be awesome. But they have a way to go.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Danny G looked great last night, as to be expected.. him and Tyutin are the best pair on the team and I hope they are kept together for years to come.. playing with eachother they have developed great chemistry on the ice....

I dont know about him being a top pair D-Man... I think that is a lofty goal and i personally see him more as a solid 2nd pair Defenseman

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i agree with everyone that he was a our best Dman but there was something else that caught my eye when i saw him......is it just me or does he look much much much bigger than he did last year??

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Funny I didn't immediately think of Purinton. I thought of another Dale--Rolfe who also wore 5 who some will remember for being badly roughed up by Dave Schultz in the playoffs one year. He was a pretty decent d-man.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Girardi's game is looking better and better every time I see him. That hit in I think the second period on Weiss maybe was a great stand up at the blue line. Look forward to seeing more of that from him!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
He threw some really solid hits last night. I was super impressed with his game -- even more than last year. I love this kid.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 05:13 PM
avs9119

i was very impressed with him he improved alot

avs9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 05:28 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
3 Rangers captains have worn #5... Bill Cook, Buddy O'Connor, and Barry Beck

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
clemsonRanger

well

i think he can be a very good #3 d-man

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote