HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal and Dubinsky to sit? Updated: They're Playing

Old
10-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Staal and Dubinsky to sit? Updated: They're Playing

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10062007...rs_may_sit.htm

sigh...

you can't knock the Rangers for not having youth but come on...ONE game into the season...

"Regardless of the decision for this game, I don't think that we have the obligation to play Brandon or Marc in every game in order to keep the faith with them or on our commitment to develop our youth," Renney said.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:09 AM
eco's bones

Ottawa does present a different perspective than Florida. They were the best team in the East when all was said and done last year. Have to play Orr because of McGratton, Neil etc. A big physical skill team. I can see at least why the Rangers might hesitate with Dubinsky--the idea that Ottawa might center their strategy around matching Spezza, Heatley against an inexperiened young center even for a shift or two could have a profound effect on the game. With Staal I don't see as big a problem. Pairing him though with Mara--I'm a little confused about Mara having the green light to go up the ice with Staal his defensive conscience or whether it's the other way around. Marc was chasing after the puck a bit the other night. May just be first game rookie jitters. I think he could handle this though. I'm not sure putting Strudwick in would be a good idea at all--he would add toughness which they might feel they could use but his skating isn't up to par against the better teams--as for Pck he might be better but he's not adding the toughness. I'd go with Staal. Dubi if he's in goes to 4th line. Betts to 3rd. If he's not Hossa goes on Jagr's line and Straka/Avery drop down to center Prucha/Callahan.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:38 AM
TomLaidlaw

"There were times during the (Florida) game where on the bench I went, hmm, I wonder what we'd get in this situation if [Hossa] were out there," Renney said. "He brings more jam to the ship, he finishes checks, he's a very good penalty killer. I still think there's a dormant offensive game there."

Renneys illogical mancrush on Hossa continues. I wonder if he gets butterflies in his stomach anytime Hossa walks by him.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 06:44 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I agree with Renney 100%. This is an early season statement game. So there is no need to throw those two into the fire at this moment. This is to be expected. But I imagine there will be elements of our fans that disagree and don't look at the whole picture. I thought Staal played OK. I liked that he didn't change his game, play it safe all the time. He tried to do some stuff, some he found out didn't work for him. He'll learn quickly. Plus it is a good time of the year to get the other players some game time. This is a team and by the end of theyear every part will need to have been used and each player understand their role and place on the squad.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Luceni

I want to see Pock the next 3 games. He earns a chance as #6 Defenseman

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
i think the 3rd pairing tonight should be Pock-Struds

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I really don't see this as a problem IF it happens. We face Ottawa soon enough again, it couldn't hurt Dubi & Staal to observe for one game. I've avoided the Hossa debate for the most part, but you can't deny the size of the Sens, and it might be helpful to have him out there. He is good in the corners, and he does have skill.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Don't want those guys getting

"Heater'd"

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Jay88*

This reminds mewhy i somewhat have a hatred for renney a a coach, but then again this quote by him makes plenty sense, NYR needs to win - "It's a consideration in that while we want to do what's in the best interests of these young players, at the same time we have to be responsible to the credibility of what we need to do as a team to win," Renney said yesterday.

I still dont fully agree with them sitting as I state that below.

Its only game 2 of the season and these 2 are going to be NYR's for life, hopefully atleast. They need a game like this, being thrown in the fire, is a good thing for them. they will fget to uunderstand what its like to play a high pressure team with excellent fire power, very good expierience. this wont crush there developemnt, but my crush there esteem a bit, I dont know. Either way I think they should be in, NO QUESTIONS.

Seriously, Dubinsky is playing 4th line minutes,so there is no need to scratch him as for Staal, he should be playing, the kid has great potential and will probably shine in very little ways as a rookie from a game like this.

Thats just my opinion.

Last edited by Jay88*: 10-06-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I rather see them play at the Garden against the Sens. If they had 5-10 regular season games under their belt, then I may be upset but I can't blame Renney if he sits them tonight, especially Staal.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:30 AM
JR#9*

If Dubi sits who centers Prucha-Cally?

Most likely Hossa moves to 1st line LW and Straka drops down b/w those 2.

That is our best option at this point if Dubinsky doesn't play.

If it starts becoming a trend here where we see Betts sliding up to the 3rd line spot that won't be a good thing at all IMO and I think it sucks that we have such goalscoring potential on the 3rd line wings but the question will be who is in that spot to dish them the puck and fill that spot in w ay that gets the most out of those 2.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Here we go again.

I can accept that Renney wants to get other guys in the lineup etc but the common factor is (and has been such for last couple of years)that it is always the younger guys who has to sit in order to make that happen. It also seems that young players are being punished more so for their mistakes than veterans, when it should be the other way around since the veterans have more experience and thus should not make the same mistakes as rookies.

Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
I rather play them at the Garden against the Sens. If they had 5-10 regular season games under their belt, then I may be upset but I can't blame Renney if he sits them tonight, especially Staal.

I rather play them as much as possible early in the year, regardless of which team we are facing.

Old
10-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
If Dubi sits who centers Prucha-Cally?

Most likely Hossa moves to 1st line LW and Straka drops down b/w those 2.
Ok, i know your just stating an opinion. But lets sya that does happen, Renney is basically throwing everything out of wack, moving guys all over whihc will happen, just to insert Hossa. This team needs to have 4 regular lines in and out unless in jury occurs. This guy Renney just makes bone heads moves on the regular, i think.

But like I said this is just an opinion, bvut i dont puut it past Renney and dont agree iwth it if it does happen.

Old
10-06-2007, 08:45 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
Here we go again.

I can accept that Renney wants to get other guys in the lineup etc but the common factor is (and has been such for last couple of years)that it is always the younger guys who has to sit in order to make that happen. It also seems that young players are being punished more so for their mistakes than veterans, when it should be the other way around since the veterans have more experience and thus should not make the same mistakes as rookies.
the Rangers players as well as coaches made no bones about the fact that they were looking to get off to a fast start this yr as well as the fact that this yr it is about one thing..winning the cup so get used to decisions made with what's best for THIS yrbecause it will be and when you think about it should be the the norm as the team has plenty of young players sprinkled in the lineup as well as very good depth and those points factored in with the young guys development not being stalled by spending some time in Hartford whether it's 20-25 games in Staals case and maybe another yr for Dubi getting maximum minutes as the top guy it may actually benefit their development.

Old
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
and maybe another yr for Dubi getting maximum minutes as the top guy.

If Dubinsky is not the full-time 3rd line center then trading Cullen was a colossal mistake.

Last edited by Kluivert4Ever: 10-06-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old
10-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
If Dubinsky is not the full-time 3rd line center than trading Cullen was a colossal mistake.
Totally agree with statement. Why in the world the kid makes the team to sit against good teams is a joke. What is Hossa gonna do tonight?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:54 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Ok, i know your just stating an opinion. But lets sya that does happen, Renney is basically throwing everything out of wack, moving guys all over whihc will happen, just to insert Hossa. This team needs to have 4 regular lines in and out unless in jury occurs. This guy Renney just makes bone heads moves on the regular, i think.

But like I said this is just an opinion, bvut i dont puut it past Renney and dont agree iwth it if it does happen.
If Dubi sits how would you line it up?

The only options to fill that 3rd line spot is either Straka or Avery dropping back from the 1st or 2nd line LW spots and playing out of position in that 3rd line slot and being that Hossa will be the guy getting the nod if Dubi sits it makes more sense to have Straka slide down off the 1st line as Straka better fits the line with Prucha-Cally then Avery would and Hossa would be a better fit on the Jagr line as opposed to the Gomez-Shanny line..

Old
10-06-2007, 08:55 AM
DutchShamrock

The goal is to win the cup, not the 2nd game of the season. You can't shield these kids from experiences like this. Look, they're gonna get lit up at some point by star players. It's unavoidable, it's a guarentee. Get it out of the way now. Get them this experience. Let them learn and grow. Renney can't be an overprotective mom who's ultimately going to raise us some nice, tender veal.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm getting the feeling that Dubinsky is going to get the Dawes treatment this season. Renney's going to panic and overthink this kid's role on the team. He's going to bench him for a stretch and send him down to get him some playing time. Argue if you want, I'm all ears; but you cannot deny that Renney has a history of pulling the plug on kids who have to cut their teeth and experience some growing pains.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:04 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
If Dubinsky is not the full-time 3rd line center than trading Cullen was a colossal mistake.
I don't think there is any doubt that we'd have been a much better team with Cullen b/w Prucha-Cally, especially with them playing against 3rd lines/d-pairings behind our 2 top lines but it just wasn't a luxury we could afford with the cap unfortunately.

And I don't get how people are shhocked with the Dubinsky stuff as the Rangers own director of player personel stated that it was likely and probrably better off that Dubi had another yr in Hartford developing.

He was solid in the 3 or 4 preseason games he played but it's preseason, now that the real games started any coaching staff that has a team with the expectaioins this team has is going to go with what will win tonight for him, not down the road and the fact that we do have a very fair amount of youth already in the lineup and the team is a legit contender is what makes these types of moves different from 6-7-8 yrs ago.

Old
10-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Fletch

If they're not going to play tonight..

send them to HFD. The statement is you guys are good, but not good enough. So send them someplace where they can play every day and be good enough to stick in the lineup. They're too young to watch games.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
If Dubi sits how would you line it up?

The only options to fill that 3rd line spot is either Straka or Avery dropping back from the 1st or 2nd line LW spots and playing out of position in that 3rd line slot and being that Hossa will be the guy getting the nod if Dubi sits it makes more sense to have Straka slide down off the 1st line as Straka better fits the line with Prucha-Cally then Avery would and Hossa would be a better fit on the Jagr line as opposed to the Gomez-Shanny line..
Simple as this Dubi sits Hossa fills in exactly where Dubi was, on line 4. i dont care who centers the \line. they are only playing 4 minutes a game any way maybe 6. then go and use Hossa on the PK whihc Renney feels will help the NYR's win a Stanley Cup.

Old
10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Fletch

JR...

with Renney dreaming of Hossa, one can see him with Jagr and Straka dropping down. What makes sense to me is put Prucha with Gomez and drop down Avery to play with Hossa and Callahan. I actually like that third line because it will cycle the puck well and play a puck-possession game. In any event, the two aren't sitting jst yet - we should wait and see.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

I;m a little confused on this one...

I have no problem with Renney's take on Staal and DUbinsky and the thought that they don't have to play every game and don't have to get major minutes...

I just don;t think the time is now, one game in to sit them, especially Dubinsky...Let him play a game against Ottawa, didn;t he play important games last year? You wanna put him on the 4th line, no problem whatsoever...

I also don't like the idea of already changing up your lines in order to get Hossa somewhere on the top two lines and moving Straka/Avery to C, if that is waht Renney is thinking already...

However, a 4th line of Holly-Betts/Dubi-Hossa makes total sense to me....Agaisnt a team like Ottawa there is no need for cement-skates Orr....Macrattan is a non-factor..He fights other goons, that is all....Neil and the rest will hit no matter what...Orr provides little in response in the hitting and sakting category..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
If Dubinsky is not the full-time 3rd line center then trading Cullen was a colossal mistake.
what about the salary cap?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote