HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal and Dubinsky to sit? Updated: They're Playing

Old
10-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Smashley

vCash: 500
From Mr. Zipay himself...

Quote:

Defenseman Paul Mara, who came here from Boston in the Aaron Ward trade last season and played well, is a healthy scratch tonight. Jason Strudwick will start, paired with Marc Staal.

Marcel Hossa is a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game, as Renney kept the Betts-Hollweg-Orr line intact.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._for_sens.html

Umm...it's safe to come off the ledge.

Quote:
Defenseman Paul Mara, who came here from Boston in the Aaron Ward trade last season and played well, is a healthy scratch tonight. Jason Strudwick will start, paired with Marc Staal.
Quote:
Marcel Hossa is a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game, as Renney kept the Betts-Hollweg-Orr line intact.
Much ado about nothing.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
mattyd99

I was really hoping I wasn't going to see Strudwick actually play this year. Ottawa is going to skate circles around him. I like Renney and trust him but this decision is a bit over my head, why not Pock at least?

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
zacn

I don't think sitting Staal is the worst idea in the world against a team like the Sens. I think having a veteran presence in against that team makes sense and it will be good to let Staal watch his team play from the box to learn how you have to play the other top ranked teams. No sense in throwing him into the fire right away if you have other somewhat sensible options and that is one thing the Rangers seem to have. Let him build up a little confidence against a few lesser teams early on.

While I'm disappointed by Dubinsky not centering the third line, I think Renney must have liked something about Hossa's work in the corners this preseason to have a reason for the switch. I also think Dubinsky could benefit in the same sense as Staal.

It's the second game so no one should really be freaking out about this.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Well, things have just taken a turn from "Disappointing but understandable" to "Huhwhaaaah??!"

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

So we're going to sit rookies when we play tough opponents? Not a fan of this move.

edit - nm read they are playing.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
So we're going to sit rookies when we play tough opponents? Not a fan of this move.

Did you read what Zipay said...Mara and Hossa sit...both Strudwick in...the rest of the lineup is the same as opening night.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
WheresBarnaby

I agree with giving Hossa the minutes, I thought he should have been out there instead of Orr, last game.
IMO give Hossa the minutes and he will break out. On the forth line, that's obviously going to be harder to do, but he's a hard worker in front of the net, and that's the game we have to play.

I also could see Staal getting very much lit up this game. He was decent in game one, but lost a few times, which is of course to be expected, but I think Ottawa 's going to exploit that.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:57 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Did you read what Zipay said...Mara and Hossa sit...both Strudwick in...the rest of the lineup is the same as opening night.

Mara? He was solid last game, and was sticking up for teamates all over the place.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Nich

as per steve zippy....he is going with sitting mara, playing struds, sitting hossa again....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:00 PM
frankthefrowner

I would have been ok with Sitting Staal for this game. At times in the florida game he looked overmatched. Thats to be expected, you dont need to kill the kids confidence. Ottawa can make a veteran defensemen look silly let alone young kid adjusting to the league.

Now sitting Mara for Struds is an odd choice.

Oh and that Hossa Man Crush appears to be over? ...

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

edit - nm read they are playing.
Nah the Rookies are playing. What I dont understand is, you sit MARA for STRUDWICK???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!! !???!!!??!!!????????

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
broadwayblue

Nah, let Staal get a taste of playing with the big boys. I don't see him as a kid who's going to lose his confidence if he gets burned a few times. If anything it will motivate him more. I'm glad to see him get the call tonight. If he gets burned, so be it.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Anyone get the sinking feeling that Ottawa's forwards are going to make poor Struds look like a stump?

Talk about hanging Staal out to dry.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Nich

call me crazy, but i think renney wants to figure out the defense, and possibly try to move someone off the back line.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
In The Flesh

I actually would like to see Struds in there, he's tough and is a good positional Dman. I think him and Staal isn't all that bad of a pairing.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
call me crazy, but i think renney wants to figure out the defense, and possibly try to move someone off the back line.
good point, he's still feeling out the team.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Let's just say that things are goin pretty fricken well youth movement wise when we're getting pissed off at veterans getting benched for other more deserving veterans.

LMAO!

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:34 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
"There were times during the (Florida) game where on the bench I went, hmm, I wonder what we'd get in this situation if [Hossa] were out there," Renney said. "He brings more jam to the ship, he finishes checks, he's a very good penalty killer. I still think there's a dormant offensive game there."

Renneys illogical mancrush on Hossa continues. I wonder if he gets butterflies in his stomach anytime Hossa walks by him.
How is it illogical? It's completely logical. In the end it may be incorrect. But everything he says is 100% accurate. Hossa finishes his checks. Hossa is a very good forechecker and uses his body well. Hossa is a very good penalty killer. And he does have a dormant offensive game. That's not synonymous with an offensive game that WILL be awoken. Simply that he has an offensive game that COULD potentially be awoken. You obviously don't agree, but his perspective makes complete sense.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Exactly. It's really not anywhere near the big deal that many people seem to be making it out to be.

And to the people who are worried about the Sens forwards skating circles around Strudwick, I would agree if it weren't for the fact that I don't expect him to be seeing much ice against Heatley-Spezza-Alfie. Outside of those guys the Sens lineup is really quite pedestrian. A bunch of very good players but no real gamebreakers to fear. Vermette? Eaves? Struds will be OK.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:43 PM
NYROrtsFan

Think people gotta realize that the best pairing on paper is rarely the best pairing on the ice... Just becuase Staal and Mara may look better on paper, and people may like Mara's shot, that doesn't mean it will bring the best results.

If Staal works better with Strudwick and it helps the team more, then you go with that.

The best team on paper is usually never the best team on the ice. Intangibles mean so much more than people give them credit for and this is the reason that you have the teams who win championships.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Exactly. It's really not anywhere near the big deal that many people seem to be making it out to be.

And to the people who are worried about the Sens forwards skating circles around Strudwick, I would agree if it weren't for the fact that I don't expect him to be seeing much ice against Heatley-Spezza-Alfie. Outside of those guys the Sens lineup is really quite pedestrian. A bunch of very good players but no real gamebreakers to fear. Vermette? Eaves? Struds will be OK.
I think we will have to worry less about strudwick and more about Malek getting skated around tonight

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Think people gotta realize that the best pairing on paper is rarely the best pairing on the ice... Just becuase Staal and Mara may look better on paper, and people may like Mara's shot, that doesn't mean it will bring the best results.

If Staal works better with Strudwick and it helps the team more, then you go with that.

The best team on paper is usually never the best team on the ice. Intangibles mean so much more than people give them credit for and this is the reason that you have the teams who win championships.
I just think Renney wants to cycle Mara, Staal, Strudwick, and Pock into the 5/6 spots.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
IF it happens.
I'm just sayin'...

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I get the feeling that Renney did not have enough time to figure out 100% in his mind what he wanted the line up to look like during the pre-season. So now he is going to try make little adjustments as he goes through the beginning of the regular season. I would imagine that in the next maybe 3 game we will see some more shuffling, but after that we will see much more continuity in regards to the line up. But people, back off the ledge, please

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote