HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Atlanta going downhill???

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Is Atlanta going downhill???

I'm hearing so many people saying how Bob hartley should win coach of the year award but as it stands now Thrasers are proving to be very inconsistent team this year, are other teams starting to figure out Atlanta strategy and beating them at their own game, as it stands now they have unbelievable offensive threat in game but they are breaking down defensively so what gives, even we had very good last week playing against them they can't play their game when other teams Trap or play defensive game with them, so guys give me your thought on this!!

Old
01-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I dont think they have as a team slow down but i do think:

1. Others teams have improved since the beginning of the year while Trashers have not.

2. (and biggest point): The Atlanta goalies are not making out like bandits every night. Nurminen is nothing great now as Atlanta have need to rely on DAFOE for some games...

At the beginning of the year they were all about offense reying on Nurminen to saves them in some key moments. It's not anymore the case so we are seeing more of the bad defense they got...
________

Heatley should comes back in February and it will help them greatly but honestly, except if Tampa returns to big struggling they wont make playoffs.
________

Of course the futur is bright with Lethtonen in the minors, the goatending issue should not be a problem for a long time... Still they have no def.

Old
01-11-2004, 12:57 PM
habitants9_4

Its basically goaltending. Nurminen is not the same. Ther defense doesn't seem as good either. They will have Coburn for the future tho.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Corey

Just wait until Dany Heatley comes back.

Old
01-11-2004, 03:55 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Losing six in a row is never a good thing for a team. I wouldn't count on them making the playoffs. Dany Heatley is one of the top five players in the league, but I just don't think they have the team to get there. Not this year.

Old
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
I'm hearing so many people saying how Bob hartley should win coach of the year award but as it stands now Thrasers are proving to be very inconsistent team this year, are other teams starting to figure out Atlanta strategy and beating them at their own game, as it stands now they have unbelievable offensive threat in game but they are breaking down defensively so what gives, even we had very good last week playing against them they can't play their game when other teams Trap or play defensive game with them, so guys give me your thought on this!!
The injuries, and tragedy, makes their accomplishments this year amazing.

Not just Heatley. Savard, Kozlov.. key injuries...

And we know what this is like. How many years did we have 300+ man games lost? Darby, Poulin.. the players we had to use to fill in the lost positions.

Hartley is coach of the year, in my books. The way his team has competed through all the adversity, and injuries, is worthy of this honour.

Hats off to Andy Murray, in Los Angeles as well.

Old
01-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Darz

Hmmmmm...........maybe Atlanta could use Audette.

How about Audette for a 3rd round pick.

Ahhh crap....no more of those fun proposals.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Atlanta offered Audette some base salary for the rest of the year type contract. What do they have to lose. I mean the team only has 10 forwards with more than 2 points so far this year.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:08 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Atlanta can score goals in bunches, but they can also give them up in bunches too. When an offensively minded run-and-gun team like Atlanta goes into a scoring funk, their mediocre goaltending and defence tend to result in losses. This will correct itself, but what is getting lost in all this is that Tampa has put together a nice stretch of wins and is now in first in their division. It's one thing to lose games, but don't do it at the same time as the team chasing you is winning all the time.

Old
01-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Atlanta can score goals in bunches, but they can also give them up in bunches too. When an offensively minded run-and-gun team like Atlanta goes into a scoring funk, their mediocre goaltending and defence tend to result in losses. This will correct itself, but what is getting lost in all this is that Tampa has put together a nice stretch of wins and is now in first in their division. It's one thing to lose games, but don't do it at the same time as the team chasing you is winning all the time.
Atlanta played a strong game last night and didn't show those weaknesses.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
The injuries, and tragedy, makes their accomplishments this year amazing.

Not just Heatley. Savard, Kozlov.. key injuries....
You got it there, right now the Thrashers have about 7 guys on the IR, including Savard, who leads the team in points per game. That's a tough thing.

Closed Thread