Notices

Gauthier trade upcoming?

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
Gauthier trade upcoming?

According to john davidson of the cbc's satelite hotstove that he may be dealt for yanic perrault what u guys think?

Old
01-10-2004, 03:56 PM
ForeignFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo's house
According to john davidson of the cbc's satelite hotstove that he may be dealt for yanic perrault what u guys think?
Saw this rumour about a week or two ago, with Radek Bonk also mentioned as a possibility. Can't see it happening IMO.

Old
01-10-2004, 04:33 PM
woody

As an Oiler fan I sure hope they make that deal. Gauthier is royal pain to play against.

Old
01-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Stifler

Perrault for Gauthier would be decent trade value for each side. Perrault would be another quality centre for us, that is also defensively responsible.

Old
01-10-2004, 04:40 PM
OMA

Just for the record...

Jacques Demers stated that rumor.

John Davidson laughed at it and said that he wouldn't trade any of Calgary's d-men.

I wouldn't make that deal. Perreault makes a boatload of money (2.8 million i think) and isn't a Sutter player at all (Size, Speed..).

I can see Gauthier dealt, but not for a player like Perreault. A deal moving involving Gauthier would have to be something that would benefit the team in the long run as well.

Old
01-10-2004, 05:53 PM
ATG

[QUOTE=OMA]Just for the record...

Jacques Demers stated that rumor.

John Davidson laughed at it and said that he wouldn't trade any of Calgary's d-men.

QUOTE]

Toochee ur right my bad

Old
01-10-2004, 08:46 PM
icarus

I think it is an outlandish proposal; it ate up Hotstove airtime that could have been used for more credible rumours.

Old
01-10-2004, 09:13 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
I think it is an outlandish proposal; it ate up Hotstove airtime that could have been used for more credible rumours.
I really hope its outlandish, from what I read about Perreault on the Habs board it doesn't sound good.

Old
01-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Shin Pad

I agree with above posts - this is nothing more that eating up air time on CBC. Sutter is not going to make a move of this significance. He likes the team right now - he will continue to make minor deals like he did today to aquire Lyons (or however you spell it) - hey the guy was effective and made a difference tonight - good move by Sutter,

Old
01-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
Perrault for Gauthier would be decent trade value for each side. Perrault would be another quality centre for us, that is also defensively responsible.
Quality center? Yanick Perreault? Try watching some hockey. The only thing Perreault does well is win faceoffs. Beyond that he's terrible. He plays smaller than he already is, is weak on the defensive side of the puck (is no scream in hell on the offensive side of the puck), is a brutal skater (terribly slow) and has very little character. There is a reason why he is Montreal's number five center and is used solely on faceoffs any more. He sucks.

The only way he would be worthwhile on the Flames is if he came with a massive bungee cord that could be tied to the bench and used as soon as the faceoff is won. Drop the puck then BOING!!! Perreault is back on the bench before he can do any more damage out there.

No way in hell do I trade Gauthier for Perreault, especially when you look at the guy's salary. He's the antithesis of what Sutter is trying to build in Calgary. Just so no to Perreault.

Old
01-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Joe Malone

As a Habs fan, I would love this trade. I've always liked Gauthier.

Perreault wins faceoffs, and has a nice wrist shot from about 15 feet out. (Likes to go top shelf.) He's no hell defensively, and doesn't like to hit. He's our #4 center right now, and on the 2nd power play unit. He's also played left wing this year. When Steve Begin returns, Perreault will probably be elsewhere.

I can't see Perreault being a Sutter-type player. I can't see it at all. If there is any truth to a Gauthier-to-Montreal rumor, could Sutter be looking for Niklas Sundstrom? They were together in San Jose, and Sundstrom is a great defensive forward. I really like him.

Why would the Flames move Gauthier? I've read he's a great team man, he's tough and I know he hits a ton. What are his weaknesses? Does he often take himself out of position to make the big hit? Is he injury prone? What is his salary?

Old
01-11-2004, 06:48 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

Perreault wins faceoffs, and has a nice wrist shot from about 15 feet out. (Likes to go top shelf.) He's no hell defensively, and doesn't like to hit. He's our #4 center right now, and on the 2nd power play unit. He's also played left wing this year. When Steve Begin returns, Perreault will probably be elsewhere.

I can't see Perreault being a Sutter-type player. I can't see it at all. If there is any truth to a Gauthier-to-Montreal rumor, could Sutter be looking for Niklas Sundstrom? They were together in San Jose, and Sundstrom is a great defensive forward. I really like him.

Why would the Flames move Gauthier? I've read he's a great team man, he's tough and I know he hits a ton. What are his weaknesses? Does he often take himself out of position to make the big hit? Is he injury prone? What is his salary?
He has improved alot in terms of taking himself out of position to make the hit, but he still does occassionally, I think playing with Warrener has helped him alot. He is over his injury problems. This year he makes $1.3 mil.

I still wouldn't touch Perreault though. Would there be anybody else with around the same salary?

Old
01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

That says it all right there. If the Habs are looking to move Perreault to make room for Steve Begin, why would the Flames want Perreault considering Begin was at the bottom of the Flames depth chart just months ago. Begin is feisty and I like him but let's be serious, he is a AHL call-up / injury fill-in type player.

If Begin plays over Perreault and Yanic makes 2 + million, there is no way the Flames are even remotely interested. Conroy, Yelle, Reinprecht, Lombardi and even McAmmond play C......all better than Perreault. The Flames don't need Perreault half as bad as the Habs need Gauthier. This is a Montreal based rumor I would imagine. There is no way anyone that follows the Flames would conjure up a rumor like this. Flames get hosed.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Hydroponic Harold

I am NOT a Flames fan ..but i love watching your team this year ,thank god for BEV .I think you guys would be crazy to break up that D ....they are scary to play against and will only get better with age .
I also hope you guys hang on to Iggy ..i watched him here in the Loops and hes a stud ..class act all the way .Hate to see him toiling for some Yankee based squad in total hockey oblivion .

Old
01-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
That says it all right there. If the Habs are looking to move Perreault to make room for Steve Begin, why would the Flames want Perreault considering Begin was at the bottom of the Flames depth chart just months ago. Begin is feisty and I like him but let's be serious, he is a AHL call-up / injury fill-in type player.

If Begin plays over Perreault and Yanic makes 2 + million, there is no way the Flames are even remotely interested. Conroy, Yelle, Reinprecht, Lombardi and even McAmmond play C......all better than Perreault. The Flames don't need Perreault half as bad as the Habs need Gauthier. This is a Montreal based rumor I would imagine. There is no way anyone that follows the Flames would conjure up a rumor like this. Flames get hosed.
Perreault is certainly more talented than Begin, but Begin is gritty and has filled an important role in Montreal. He's the shift disturber we've lacked, and plays Julien's type of game very well. An energy player for the Habs, who hits anything that moves. Begin had shoulder surgery and will be out for another couple of months still. But when Begin was playing, Perreault played left wing with Mike Ribeiro. Koivu, Ribeiro, Juneau and Begin were centers. We also have young Tomas Plekanec in Hamilton who is on the verge of being promoted. Last player cut by the Habs at training camp, and is going to the AHL all-star game.

I'm just speculating that Perreault will be gone when Begin returns. (Wishful thinking? ) He's deadly on faceoffs, and can pot 25 goals in a season if he plays regularly.

Hopefully someone picks him up at the deadline. :p

Old
01-13-2004, 07:33 AM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
Trade Him To L.a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Ozy_Flame

Rick Dudley had some nice things to say about our defense after our troops made them wave the white flag. He said something to the extent that our defense was "top 3"........John Davidson also laughed off rumors of Gauthier being traded for Perrault. I concur.

We best be hanging on to them right now; they are playing stellar hockey, and are increasingly beginning to define the team. But lets not forget our great goaltending too. Thanks for the great times, Kippy and Noodles!

Old
01-13-2004, 05:04 PM
sluggo*

Gauthier is the type of D-man the Leafs are/will be looking for. If hes made avaible there would be interest/offers from the Leafs.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Gauthier is the type of D-man the Leafs are/will be looking for. If hes made avaible there would be interest/offers from the Leafs.
Of course! Hey, maybe Calgary can send him to TO with Iginla for a deal centering around Kaberle. (Hey! This reminds me of a thread that was a heated topic of discussion only a short while ago.....)

I forgot that sluggo isn't only Kaberle's #1 fan, he's Kaberle's #1 salesman!

(Just having some fun...)

Old
01-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Hydroponic Harold

What a lick on Jags ..great to see the great FLOATER get nailed ..no way you guys trade Gauthier!!!

Old
01-17-2004, 06:27 PM
King Fish

The Flyers might be in need of a defence man, Seidenberg broke his leg the other day and Desjardins broke his arm tonight against the Leafs. What would you give up for Handzus. We have a bit of a jam at center and you guys are deep on D.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Stifler

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
The Flyers might be in need of a defence man, Seidenberg broke his leg the other day and Desjardins broke his arm tonight against the Leafs. What would you give up for Handzus. We have a bit of a jam at center and you guys are deep on D.
Hey King Fish, unfortunately Handzus isn't what is known as a "Flames-type of player" or "Sutter player". Not too say Handzus isn't talented but he doesn't fit into our system. If Carolina is having a firesale I could see Sutter inquiring about someone like Erik Cole.

Old
01-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
Hey King Fish, unfortunately Handzus isn't what is known as a "Flames-type of player" or "Sutter player". Not too say Handzus isn't talented but he doesn't fit into our system. If Carolina is having a firesale I could see Sutter inquiring about someone like Erik Cole.
Why wouldn't Handzus fit? He's certainly strong on face-offs, good defensively, big and strong. All attributes Sutter would like. He isn't the world's fastest skater maybe that's what you're thinking of but I really can't fathom why you're so convinced that Handzus doesn't fit here.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Why wouldn't Handzus fit? He's certainly strong on face-offs, good defensively, big and strong. All attributes Sutter would like. He isn't the world's fastest skater maybe that's what you're thinking of but I really can't fathom why you're so convinced that Handzus doesn't fit here.
Maybe he's been reading too many evman posts, and thinks that only Western Canadian boys are "Sutter-type" players. :p

Old
01-21-2004, 11:53 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
With all the recent injuries to D men across the league, now would be the time to trade one of ours. Teams would be willing to pay a little more.

Closed Thread