HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Van Ryn A Healthy Scratch Tonight, Possibly Available

Old
10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Chaos2k7

vCash: 500
He's not a bottom pairing d-man on Florida let alone other teams.

Van Ryn and Salei will continue to be 3-4/4-3 all year it is a moot point.

But then again the amount of interested team fans should tell you the overall opinion of Mike is not "as dumb as a bag of hammers".

Chaos2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:23 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresrat View Post
Ah yes. That salary is a bit much for what will be a bottom pairing guy on many teams.
LOL. Van Ryn is more than a bottom pairing player on most teams, that is severely underrating him.

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 07:50 PM
sabresrat

I like him a lot actually, but even on the Sabres he doesn't beat out the top 4, and the Sabres don't have much of a D.

sabresrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

I bet he could be useful for the sharks, they have a logjam at the center position, which I'm not sure what Florida needs, but oh well.

Educate me

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Georgia Panther

More On The Van Ryn Benching

The Sun-Sentinel's beat writer suggests this might become a regular thing and it might be best to trade Van Ryn now.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...n-falls-o.html

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 10:32 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I bet he could be useful for the sharks, they have a logjam at the center position, which I'm not sure what Florida needs, but oh well.

Educate me
We need a winger, or D in return. our centers are fine with Jokinen Weiss McLean and Campbelll.

Old
10-06-2007, 10:59 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Well, I'm not an nhl coach either but I did watch the game so here's my take. Van Ryn sucks. He gets outmuscled because he lacks upper body strength and he's dumb as a bag of hammers. In the last game he was standing behind his own goal line when he decided to pass the puck right up the middle of the ice. As you might expect it wound up on a Ranger's stick and resulted in a quick goal against. So to summerize, Van Ryn is weak and dumb. Given his current play, (which is a continuation from last season) I seriously doubt he'd be picked up if he were waived.
you're being pretty ridiculous with a post like this heimy...

van ryn does not suck. he's a good player and would be a top-4 defender on most teams out there. that being said, he has his moments where he coughs the puck up and makes some boneheaded decisions...but hes not the only one.

that being said, van ryn is generally a solid defender. not a banger, and true that he isn't the biggest of guys, but he usually puts himself in a position to make the defensive play. he moves the puck well and will put up 30-40 points a year. he's a top-4 guy, plain and simple. one bad game doesn't take away the last 3 years where he's established himself.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post

Educate me
an offensive minded winger, pretty cut and dry. if the guy can score, we'd be interested. if van ryn is the one being dealt, it would have to be an established player. no projects/prospects.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

I think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors by Martin, much like before we landed Vokoun. I think he's simply showcasing Salei and/or Mezei. They played worse than Ryno, but they still played. Only thing I can think of. Van Ryn's certainly the better player of the 3.

10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOftheRAT View Post
We need a winger, or D in return. our centers are fine with Jokinen Weiss McLean and Campbelll.
Team needs an enforcer and a top scoring winger. I realize we won't get a top anything, tough, especially with Ryno on the bench.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think this is a lot of smoke and mirrors by Martin, much like before we landed Vokoun. I think he's simply showcasing Salei and/or Mezei. They played worse than Ryno, but they still played. Only thing I can think of. Van Ryn's certainly the better player of the 3.
If Vokoun ends up sucking, I still will always think trading for Vokoun was an awsome move. Its not Martin's fault if Vokoun starts to suck. I think Martin is showcasing his D by benching Van Ryn.

Old
10-06-2007, 11:14 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Team needs an enforcer and a top scoring winger. I realize we won't get a top anything, tough, especially with Ryno on the bench.
Why Van Ryn for an enforcer when you can trade someone like Stewart for an enforcer.

Old
10-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOftheRAT View Post
Why Van Ryn for an enforcer when you can trade someone like Stewart for an enforcer.
No way I'd trade him for an enforcer, I'm saying one could be part of a package.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
No way I'd trade him for an enforcer, I'm saying one could be part of a package.
package yes, but not by himself, I would cry if it was by himself, but not really. lol.

Old
10-07-2007, 12:04 AM
xMARCStheSPOT

Send a message via AIM to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via MSN to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via Yahoo to xMARCStheSPOT
The kind of guy it sounds like you guys could be looking for sounds alot like Ryane Clowe. Iono if I (or any other Shark fan) would move him for VanRyn, but a deal based around the two could really help both teams. Once Seto gets healthy he could take Clowe's spot in the lineup.

xMARCStheSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 12:15 AM
TeMoZ

I've wanted him in a Ducks jersey for a while now and we sure do need to get rid of crap d-men we got.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 12:28 AM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan3991 View Post
The kind of guy it sounds like you guys could be looking for sounds alot like Ryane Clowe. Iono if I (or any other Shark fan) would move him for VanRyn, but a deal based around the two could really help both teams. Once Seto gets healthy he could take Clowe's spot in the lineup.

no - way.

Old
10-07-2007, 12:37 AM
xMARCStheSPOT

Send a message via AIM to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via MSN to xMARCStheSPOT Send a message via Yahoo to xMARCStheSPOT
why not? Clowe can score, he has crazy puck control along the boards, and hes willing to drop the gloves to defend a team-mate.

any reasoning as to why not? im not trying to sound pissed or anything, just more curious...it sounded like a decent fit.

Old
10-07-2007, 12:53 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
Something around Clowe and Van Ryn sounds fair to me.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 01:04 AM
SharkMan19

Van Ryn for Bernier?

SharkMan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi-wayman

Even with his long term, $3 mil salary Vancouver would be very interested in Van Ryn.

Trade suggestion:

To Vancouver: Mike Van Ryn & Michal Repik
To Florida: Luc Bourdon & Aaron Miller

And yes, on the Canucks, Van Ryn would be used on the third pairing in place of Miller. But then Salo was also used on the Canucks third pairing. The key player in this trade: Bourdon. But the Canucks have the depth in D that can do this trade as they improve their right side D in Van Ryn over Miller. Repiuk is known in Vancouver after playing for the Giants.

Ohlund - Salo
Mitchell - Bieksa
Krajicek - Van Ryn
Edler/Weaver

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 10-07-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:14 AM
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Even with his long term, $3 mil salary Vancouver would be very interested in Van Ryn.

Trade suggestion:

To Vancouver: Mike Van Ryn & Michal Repik
To Florida: Luc Bourdon & Aaron Miller

And yes, on the Canucks, Van Ryn would be used on the third pairing in place of Miller. But then Salo was also used on the Canucks third pairing. The key player in this trade: Bourdon. But the Canucks have the depth in D that can do this trade as they improve their right side D in Van Ryn over Miller. Repiuk is known in Vancouver after playing for the Giants.

Ohlund - Salo
Mitchell - Bieksa
Krajicek - Van Ryn
Edler/Weaver
I would do that. However, the Canucks had the chance to draft Repik and they took Taylor Ellington instead. I wanted Repik and it will be interesting to see how he turns out. I really like him.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:43 AM
xMARCStheSPOT

something around a package of Clowe/Bernier and Davison for VanRyn and a late pick 3rd-4th Round could be very interesting for both clubs. VanRyn would instantly step in as the #3 man behind Rivet and Vlasic to solidify our top 6. Clowe or Bernier would make a great 2nd-3rd line scoring winger. Davison can step in in key times when injuries hit.

Old
10-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I would do that. However, the Canucks had the chance to draft Repik and they took Taylor Ellington instead. I wanted Repik and it will be interesting to see how he turns out. I really like him.
I also liked Repik, but I have no quarrel that the Canucks drafted Ellington. Of what I have seen and heard of Ellington, he has a good chance at turning into a very fine D. Equally, I think Bourdon will too and will be sorry to see him go if he is traded.

I'm just looking at how these four players fit into the Canucks as a team & I think that Van Ryn would flourish on the Canucks long term even though he would be replacing Miller and that Miller has been one of Vancouver's best D's so far this season. Miller is a great defensive D, but much older than Van Ryn and the Canuck's style of play is much more suited to Van Ryn's two way D style. Due to his age, I didn't think Miller was enough for Van Ryn. If it wasn't for the salary cap of today's NHL, I would much rather offer other prospects and draft picks than Miller. I think Bourdon would be more than enough for Van Ryn, but we have to dump some salary to afford Van Ryn and our lack of depth on the forward lines pretty well force us to dump salary from our D.

Bourdon is a stud prospect, but we have so much depth in defensive prospects (Edler, McIver, Bourdon, Rahami, Ellington, Fredheim, Heshka & Koltsov) that the Canucks could afford to trade Bourdon or any of the others in order to bolster the team in other areas. Compared to Miller's age, Van Ryn, at age 28, would fill a roster spot for many years making it even more difficult for a prospect to move up fron our farm. Look at Edler. He's playing well enough that he would be vying for a top four spot on most NHL clubs, but on the Canucks he's religated to the pressbox as our #7 or #8 D unless he's filling in for an injury. The Canucks don't really have a true #1D, but they are five or six deep in legitimate NHL #2 or #3 D's & an equal number of prospects that have the potential to reach similar levels.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Ryder + Bouillon
for
Van Ryn + Olesz

Add picks/prospects if neccessary.

OR

Latendresse + Ryder