HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bye-bye Meyer, Hello Berard

Old
10-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Bye-bye Meyer, Hello Berard

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=9966

That Zhitnik trade was a real stinker.

And, I'm also not crazy about signing Berard since I'd rather go with Campoli.

But, when have the Isles ever done what I wanted them to?

10-06-2007, 03:28 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Now what are we going to do with MAB? I know he has got a cannon, but man was he awful last night. I hope he can turn it around. I thought campoli/Gervais played very well last night after the first period. BB will definitely help on the PP and he has got to be better than MAB and FMIV defensively. I hope.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Now what are we going to do with MAB? I know he has got a cannon, but man was he awful last night. I hope he can turn it around. I thought campoli/Gervais played very well last night after the first period. BB will definitely help on the PP and he has got to be better than MAB and FMIV defensively. I hope.

I am not now, and never will be, a fan of MAB. I wouldn't have wanted the Isles to claim MAB if he was on waivers, let alone trade for him.

And, yeah, Campoli and Gervais played reasonably well last night after the first period.

Funny thing is that, with 4 goals on 24 shots, you'd assume the Rick played poorly. But, he was hung out to dry on every one of those first period goals.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:31 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I am not now, and never will be, a fan of MAB. I wouldn't have wanted the Isles to claim MAB if he was on waivers, let alone trade for him.

And, yeah, Campoli and Gervais played reasonably well last night after the first period.

Funny thing is that, with 4 goals on 24 shots, you'd assume the Rick played poorly. But, he was hung out to dry on every one of those first period goals.
Without a doubt. None, I mean none of those goals were his fault. he had no shot at any of them. Man, markov would sure look good in orange and blue right now.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:32 PM
HopefulCoach

I think I speak for most Oiler fans when saying thank you so much for taking MAB off our hands!

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
blamebettman*

The Zhitnik trade was a salary dump, they thought Meyer could develop into a steady 4-5 defenseman. He couldn't.

Wasn't a terrible deal, Meyer had an upside.

Berard should only see time on the powerplay and maybe a handul of shifts a game at forward. The guy stinks defensively.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShagXx View Post
I think I speak for most Oiler fans when saying thank you so much for taking MAB off our hands!

You should be thanking us!

I used to hate that guy when he played for EDM. He was up there with Brent Sopel as one of my least favorite dmen in the NHL. Unfortunately, the Isles eventually traded for both.

Old
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
LVIsles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
The Zhitnik trade was a salary dump, they thought Meyer could develop into a steady 4-5 defenseman. He couldn't.

Wasn't a terrible deal, Meyer had an upside.

Berard should only see time on the powerplay and maybe a handul of shifts a game at forward. The guy stinks defensively.
it was a terrible deal, I knew Zhitnik could demand alot at the trade deadline and sure enough Philly got Atlantas best prospect

I hate Snow, he is a horrible GM

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespt2 View Post
it was a terrible deal, I knew Zhitnik could demand alot at the trade deadline and sure enough Philly got Atlantas best prospect

I hate Snow, he is a horrible GM

Sadly, I agree.

Old
10-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

So ends an historic era on Long Island.

People will long remember the hockey icon Sir Freddie The IV, and his contribution to this great team, this great game....

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:58 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespt2 View Post
Not defending the trade(i to this day think it was a terrible move considering the state of our defense) but no way can you trade Zhitnik at the trade deadline because it looks like your team is giving up. For whatever reason Snow/Wang/Nolan wanted Zhitnik off the roster and the unloaded him to Philly.

The only way that trade will look good down the line will be if Mark Katic turns out to be a top 4 defenseman(the guy we picked with Philly's 3rd rounder).

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:04 PM
mmmjays

MAB is bad defensively, just pair him with your best D man to cover some of that up.

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
vcx*

Glad to see Berard find some work.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Meyer was really close to being put on waivers last year with the Flyers. If not for some injuries, he would have because very quickly was he passed on the depth chart.

How great does that trade look for the Flyers?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjays View Post
MAB is bad defensively, just pair him with your best D man to cover some of that up.

Saying MAB is bad defensively is like saying George Bush has made some minor errors in judgement!

Old
10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjays View Post
Looking at our defensive depth we have 2 guys who are good positionally(martinek and gervais). Witt could be passible in that role but is way more effective when paired up with martinek. So that basically leaves Campoli, Sutton and MAB who need that partner to cover there mistake and only Gervais left to do it.

If i am Nolan i might try Campoli and Sutton since Campoli better defensively in his own zone then MAB. I assume if we do sign Berard though he plays with Sutton.

Old
10-06-2007, 04:25 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How great does that trade look for the Flyers?
Oh well we still get a 5th rounder in the York deal so there

Old
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
4cups*

Also, when did Zhitnik turn into Denis Potvin? You make it sound we traded away the best defenseman in the NHL! Zhinik blew as an Islander so NO BIG LOSS!!!! Cry when something really significant really happens like DP getting traded. BTW, the Smyth trade was made by Snow trying to turn the Isles into an elite team. The gamble didn't workout, but it is a gamble that needs to be made if you do want to become a contender. I give Snow kudos for trying to get his team over the top.

4cups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
4Cups, you are raw, bro. With that said, he's right: from the outside looking in, Snow isn't doing terribly bad. I'd hate to gauge the Isles season off the game from last night, but so far it looks good. They made it to the playoffs last season under Snow, let's see what he does this season before we label him as the worst GM since 'beat em with a shoe' Milbury.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 04:52 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
Also, when did Zhitnik turn into Denis Potvin?
He may not be Potvin but i think most hockey fans would agree he is better then 5/6ths of our current group. If the Islandes went out this summer and made a major addition to the bluelines i don't think Zhitnik's name would be brought up, but the fact is if we do have one achiles heel it would be our defense so alot of us will look at say why didn't we just keep him.

Personally i don't think he did anything wrong with the Smyth trade. If we can have another solid season this year under Nolan the effects of the Smyth trade can still be very positive for us. I think the move will give a more positive image to players who are thinking of signing here in the future as a team who will do eveything to try and compete.

As for the Zhitnik deal the main problem with it was we didn't dump him then upgrade our defense at the same time. It basically was a salary dump in a position that we are already weak.

Last edited by boredmale: 10-06-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old
10-06-2007, 04:53 PM
4cups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
4Cups, you are raw, bro. With that said, he's right: from the outside looking in, Snow isn't doing terribly bad. I'd hate to gauge the Isles season off the game from last night, but so far it looks good. They made it to the playoffs last season under Snow, let's see what he does this season before we label him as the worst GM since 'beat em with a shoe' Milbury.
I'm not a Snow fan or anything, but killing him for freaken trading away Zhitnik, freaken Alexei Zhitnik???? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

Old
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
4cups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
He may not be Potvin but i think most hockey fans would agree he is better then 5/6ths of our current group. If the Islandes went out this summer and made a major addition to the bluelines i don't think Zhitnik's name would be brought up, but the fact is if we do have one achiles heel it would be our defense.
Zhitnik is not better than Witt, Martinek, or even Gervais! ITS FREAKEN ALEXEI ZHITNIK!!!! The trade was not great, but its nothing to dwell on either! ITS THE GUYS 1st year as GM!

Old
10-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Chaos2k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
Zhitnik is not better than Witt, Martinek, or even Gervais! ITS FREAKEN ALEXEI ZHITNIK!!!! The trade was not great, but its nothing to dwell on either! ITS THE GUYS 1st year as GM!
That's not even close to being true... wow!!

Watch an Atlanta game and tell me who is better on your defense.

Chaos2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 05:10 PM
4cups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2k7 View Post

I've watch Atlanta's defense, ITS AWFUL!!!!

Old
10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2k7 View Post

I would have to go with Brendan Witt(hence my comment Zhitnik is better then 5/6ths of our defenemen). I think the problm with most Islander fans and Zhitnik is they saw him being the top paid defenseman on the Islanders and expected him to play like other top paid defensemen, when in reality he was a 3.5M dollar defenseman who played like a 3.5M dollar defenseman.