HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is this the staal we've been waiting for?

Old
10-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
BigE...

I can live with the mistakes too. For me, it's not all about mistakes. I think that now that he's afforded the opportunity to play in HFD, I wouldn't mind him being there getting a little additional seasoning, getting PP time, more PK time, and playing the aggressive and physical brand of hockey that made him successful in juniors.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Staal would not be the first elite NHL defenseman to play in the AHL at the age of 20, and I'm sure he wouldn't be the first who had ups and downs. It's a simple formlula - get some seasoning in the AHL, which believe it or not does prepare your for the NHL, and then come up. Girardi came up last season and didn't look out of place from day 1 - the AHL does prepare players - it's not a setback and a 20 year old who views it that way isn't going to amount to much anyways.

Quote:
did I say that there weren't players who have stepped into the NHL as 18, 19 or 20 year olds without having playing in the AHL, or did I say that wasn't relative to the argument? What I did say is that it would not be a step back for him. Your post insinuates that the AHL is some bush league where players do not learn or advance. I inplied quite the contrary.

Also, because I have a different opinion that yours doesn't mean I'm suggesting there's a magic 'formula'? Not exactly sure where you come up with that. By suggesting I think he would've benefitted from some time in HFD I'm implying there's a formula? In fact, in another thread I stated that bringing along a yoot is 'an art rather than a science'.

Again, my opinion is he would've benefitted. Staal plays a physical, aggressive game. Right now he's playing careful because it's the physical/agressive nature of his game that would get him caught and he's keeping it simple (which is fine, as that's what he needs to do). Personally, I did think some time playing that kind of game and getting comfortable and acclimating to a higher level of play while playing his style of game would've helped his transition to the NHL.

I stand by my last post. Marc Staal belongs in the NHL right now and will prove the remaining naysayers wrong soon.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Two-three years to see Staal start playing up to his talent level, not two-three year to see Staal playing at the NHL level period.
You got it! He is NHL D already. #5 on Rangers.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post

I stand by my last post. Marc Staal belongs in the NHL right now and will prove the remaining naysayers wrong soon.
I'm going to side with you Bretzky, I think that the good will soon out weigh the bad. Besides our veteran D-men are responsible for the Mezaros goal (Malik, Rosi). You could even blame Struds for the 2nd goal, I don't think Staal should be crucified just yet.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
I'm going to side with you Bretzky, I think that the good will soon out weigh the bad. Besides our veteran D-men are responsible for the Mezaros goal (Malik, Rosi). You could even blame Struds for the 2nd goal, I don't think Staal should be crucified just yet.
I don't think anyone should be crucified yet, its 2 games into the season you worry warts !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
BigE

Quote:
I can live with the mistakes too. For me, it's not all about mistakes. I think that now that he's afforded the opportunity to play in HFD, I wouldn't mind him being there getting a little additional seasoning, getting PP time, more PK time, and playing the aggressive and physical brand of hockey that made him successful in juniors.
I'm not disputing the fact that he would improve his skills by playing in Hartford. I dispute your stance (or implied stance) that his performance through 2 games is enough to warrant a demotion to Hartford. It seems to be an outright dismissal of the possibility that Staal could also improve his skills (equally or moreso) through NHL caliber competition.

It's been TWO games is my point. He's seen PP and PK time here (albeit small amounts) and he's shown physical tendencies in a lot of situations. But you've got to allow the kid to get his bearings a little bit.

I'd also like to note that there were those on this forum crying for Girardi to be dismissed not longer after he arrived last year, too. However, just like Staal, I (and perhaps we all) saw good and bad things in his game, but enough to tell us he was capable of staying and contributing.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Fletch

BigE...

my stance has nothing to do with the last two games, and I'm not reacting to a blown play or anything else. My feeling was that beginning the season in the AHL would be beneficial to him. That was my feeling coming out of the preseason and it's just being reiterated, and I'm not trying to say after two games I'm right or wrong. I'm saying that HFD wouldn't set him back, and that I think some time there would be good for him in the long run. I think that because it's in a thread that started out negative it seems as though I'm coming out after two games. There's really no right or wrong (especially since we won't know how things would've turned out had he begun in Hartford). I'm fine with him in the NHL (and pushed for him as an 18 year old to get a better chance because I beleived that juniors was a waste of his time). But again, just reiterating my original opinion regarding how he should've been brought along.

Bretzky - thanks for pointing that out - what I had meant when posting that was me actually being a d!ck and saying it's a simple formula to do this - don't you get it! - wasn't saying that bringing on a kid was a science and each should conform to a certain regimen (still not sure if I'm explaining it that well). Sorry for being a d!ck.

Oh, and I'm not a naysayer. I think Staal will end up doing just fine. My opinion has been that beginning the season in the AHL would've been beneficial, and not detrimental, to his development.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:56 PM
gaglinefan

Marc Staal

Watching him play he has good instincts, carries play and moves attackers off the puck. He does pinch in a bit. One thing he has done is NEVER clear the puck in front of the net, always behind. that is a lesson some of the vets could use, not naming bigger guys names or anything...
Looks like a player, he will adjust nicely to the league and help us. Love the Tuits-Girardi pairing, they are exactly what we need. Imho our D in underrated, defensive mistakes are glaring, they are otherwise not bad. Several years ago our D couldn't even keep the puck in on a routine play, we have come a long way.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 10-08-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Addit
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Pizza

.........I'm just going to click away and pretend that I did not see this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Edge

Staal looks like a lot of young defenseman who are two games into their NHL career. He is awkward and unsure. In time he'll get better, but I hope no one was expecting him to be the savior of the defense.

All things considered, I still think he's the best option.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:24 AM
the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan43 View Post
No offense to Staal or anything, but because of him not sticking to his man gave up a few goals in the last 2 games. We should send him to hartford for at least a few weeks to get into the flow of the team, then see how he does. He's looking like a rookie at some parts in the game, and a pro some other parts. he needs to learn how to stay near center ice when the rangers are on the attack. He's not the fastest guy and he cant get back easily. Last night a couple of times callahan saved him, from letting their offense get an odd man rush. any thoughts?
It's been two games. Patience, young padawan.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:36 AM
clmetsfan

I think regardless of how much time Staal spends at Hartford, he's going to look a little overwhelmed in his first few NHL games. All the seasoning in the world won't prepare you for the increased speed of the players and the flow of the game in the NHL as compared to the AHL.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:52 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
I like staal and haven't seen anything that makes me say he doesn't belong. The goal against ottawa was more of a result of strudwick as been mentioned. The only play that bothers me was that pass staal made that got picked off against fla. Staal needs to be a lil more careful with the puck and as he plays more that will come.

On a seperate thought I'd be ok if he was developing in the minors because I don't want him rushed. Since the coaches have him here I'd like to see him stay.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:39 AM
shon

i think Staal will be fine if someone told him to stick to defence. Keep it simple. Stop jumping up everytime he touches the puck . he would be fine

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:52 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
His number is 18...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Staal's play and mistakes.. it will come as a rookie, who else do you want filling that spot for 70 games? STRUDWICK?

Get out of here and face it that Staal's in here for the 07-08' season.

Let him make the odd mistake now, rather than come April. Patience and carefully managed minutes on the 3rd pairing will help him mature.

No one should be panicking just yet.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
i think Staal will be fine if someone told him to stick to defence. Keep it simple. Stop jumping up everytime he touches the puck . he would be fine
I haven't seen him get caught doing that, so I don't mind if he does it now and then. His game was successful because he could both stop opposing players, and use his ability to read the play to break things up and start transitions the other way.

As much as he's labeled a defensive defenseman, a large part of that comes from his ability to turn the puck the other way. He's not just a sit back and let everything come to him player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I haven't seen him get caught doing that, so I don't mind if he does it now and then. His game was successful because he could both stop opposing players, and use his ability to read the play to break things up and start transitions the other way.

As much as he's labeled a defensive defenseman, a large part of that comes from his ability to turn the puck the other way. He's not just a sit back and let everything come to him player
well said.

i have been saying for a long time that Staal can be more than just a defensive d man. He has alot of offensive ability... i think we will see that in time. i think you describe him accurately by saying he's not a sit back player....

I hope/think he can start to develop that aspect this year but im treating any offense from him this year as a bonus...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
ogie

2 games!!! and we are already talking about this.....2 GAMES!! Can we at least wait a week? Jeez you people on here are relentless, now i know why NY sports fans have such a bad rep.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote