HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jovanovski rumors persist

Old
10-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Jovanovski rumors persist

Finally a source aside from ek publishes it..

Quote:
Sources say New York Rangers GM Glen Sather, unhappy over the depth of his blueline, is trying to convince Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney to part with veteran defenceman Ed Jovanovski. Garrioch notes Jovanovski has a "no-movement" clause in his current contract which pays him $6.5 million per season for the next four seasons, and the Rangers would need to dump salary to make room for his contract, but Garrioch suggests that shouldn't be a sticking point, quote a "league executive" saying the Rangers would have no trouble putting money in the minors.
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...56847-sun.html

By the sounds of this it'd probably be a deal such as Malik + pick/prospect, and then waiving Mara. Sather would do it in a second, but the hang up just seems to be Jovo waiving his NTC.

Last edited by Carlos Ranger: 10-07-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Again, who are they going to put in the minors? They need to clear the entire $6.5 mill of Jovo's salary, and likely more to make it feasible.

The only high priced contracts they could dump are guys like Mara, Malik, Straka, Rozsival...I could see them dumping Mara, but those other guys? No. And no one else makes enough money to make it feasible unless they want to rip the entire team apart.

oh, and Garrioch isn't considered much of a credible source

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:44 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
guys are gonna have to go for this to work out

i could see something like this going to PHX

Malik
Mara
2nd round (maybe even a first if Maloney is stingy enough)
Dawes

for

Jovonavski

The Coyotes dont have an idiot for a GM anymore and Maloney knows Sather better than any other GM in the NHL- hes not giving up Jovo without getting something substantial in return- and by the way this Coyotes team is looking- he is probably looking for picks in the draft with the salary dump just being apart of the deal because it has to...if he gets Malik and say Mara in the deal, i wouldnt be surprised, unless by some unbelievable occcurance where the yotes are fighting for playoffs, if they were dealt somewhere for even more picks/prospects.

As for Jovo- i watched him last night when the Yotes played the Bruins. He looked ALOT better and healthier than he did last year. He was a physical presence on the blue line and can skate like no other...plus he provides a great shot on the point- i dont know if hes worth 7 million dollars but he is certainly better than having Malik or Rozsival as our number 1 and 1A dmen

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:54 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Not worth it. 4 GA in 2 games isn't all that bad. Plus when you play Ottawa and let up two goals due to stupidity and no others, I think your defense is fine. That, and the whole team hasn't really figured out how to play together yet.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
oh, and Garrioch isn't considered much of a credible source
Exactly. Rumors persist because people knowm for fabricating drama are keeping them alive. I've never seen Renney, or anyone in the organization, quoted as saying there's a "depth" problem on the blue line, nor does the scenario of disassembling the blueline to accommodate an unknown like Jovo make much sense to me. But hey, what do I know.....

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:00 AM
TheRedressor

Honestly if we are giving up on Mara already then I would rather promote Sauer and see how he does first. Lets try and plug in younger players and then if they prove not to be the solution go make a move for JovoCop

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post

Malik
Mara
Dawes
That still doesn't work. It's not enough salary being dumped and would put the Rangers over the cap.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That still doesn't work. It's not enough salary being dumped and would put the Rangers over the cap.
Sure it is. current cap # = 48.5 (1.8 free)
Jovo = 6.5
Malik + Mara = 5.5

would leave about .800 under the cap.

the only concern is the length of Jovo's contract.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:28 AM
OldBlueSeats

Is Jovo the kind of D mad we are looking for? He has been in the other confrence for some time now, Is he still a stud D man? Would you call him an A+ defenseman or on the B level and can he move the puck and play the PP? Jut being honest I havent heard much of him at an A level anymore.

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
TheRedressor

Jovo is still an A+ level dman, no doubt about that. I just think that the yotes would be forced to sweetin the deal because of the length remaining on his contract. Ed could be a better mentor to Staal than Mara.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

10-07-2007, 10:37 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
he had some injury problems last year but those got taken care of- last nite he was flying all over the ice and making crisp passes while also really hammering the puck on net....i wouldnt be sad to see him come here- i certainly would take him over Malik and Rozsival....the contract length just means he is going to be a core guy for awhile- Drury, gomez, Henrik, Jovo, and others as our core for the next couple of year? thats not bad....it would put us in a cap constraint but i think if we get him we can say goodbye to Rozsival, Straka and Shanny will probably retire and Jagr isnt going to be around much longer. Who knows how long avery will be here...i think we would only have a cap problem for this year. If we win u know what this year- Shanny, Straka, and possibly Jagr will all be gone- thats a 14 million dollar cap loss from those three- plus Gomez's salary goes down by 2 million- so 16 million dollars if certain things happen could come off of our cap...and who knows, maybe the cap will go up again next year.

I would certainly love having Jovo here if he keeps playing the way he did last nite

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Qft, god I wish this rumor would die out now, its getting really old, and I for one hope there is no inkling of truth in it...

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
E-Train

The only way I take that albatross contract is if Mueller's coming with him. Don't think that'll happen so I hope the rumors go away.

Don't see how Jovo's a fit. With Tyutin, Staal and the emerging Girardi (who easily looks like a top 4 d-man) and Sauer and Sangs on the way, why tie up a key spot on the blueline with Jovo who's being paid double what he's worth.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:41 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

this guy is a walking injury, its just a matter of time

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Thank you, SBoB, thank you. The voice of reason.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Jay88*

If you look on the PHX thread some one started a thread stating they would like Malik. But I am still agaist getting Jovo and that huge contract of his, he is to injury prone, I believe. I dont want him.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post

Malik
Mara
Dawes

for

Jovonavski

The Coyotes dont have an idiot for a GM anymore and Maloney knows Sather better than any other GM in the NHL- hes not giving up Jovo without getting something substantial in return- and by the way this Coyotes team is looking- he is probably looking for picks in the draft with the salary dump just being apart of the deal because it has to...if he gets Malik and say Mara in the deal, i wouldnt be surprised, unless by some unbelievable occcurance where the yotes are fighting for playoffs, if they were dealt somewhere for even more picks/prospects.

As for Jovo- i watched him last night when the Yotes played the Bruins. He looked ALOT better and healthier than he did last year. He was a physical presence on the blue line and can skate like no other...plus he provides a great shot on the point- i dont know if hes worth 7 million dollars but he is certainly better than having Malik or Rozsival as our number 1 and 1A dmen
Why would Phoenix want Mara back, he was traded from there for a reason or 2. Malik holds zero trade value, and just judging that by reading your GDT. As for Jovo himself I think it would be a step backwards for your team, as he isn't the guy you need to stabilize your defense.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Why would Phoenix want Mara back, he was traded from there for a reason or 2. Malik holds zero trade value, and just judging that by reading your GDT. As for Jovo himself I think it would be a step backwards for your team, as he isn't the guy you need to stabilize your defense.
I'm sure Malik holds a decent amount of trade value. He's hammered around here because we watch him play every single night, but someone who doesn't could easily be fooled into thinking he's as good as his +/- makes him out to be. Seriously, we traded Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret... Someone will bite on Malik.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm sure Malik holds a decent amount of trade value. He's hammered around here because we watch him play every single night, but someone who doesn't could easily be fooled into thinking he's as good as his +/- makes him out to be. Seriously, we traded Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret... Someone will bite on Malik.
And he's an expiring contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Malik is horrible, I watch him play every game, for every good play he makes 6 bonehead ones follow. His decision making is awful, and i have never seen someone score so much on their own team. Yes Dupuis for Bourret seems like a good deal right now, but we will see when and if Bourret makes the NHL I see your point, but these scouts are professionals for a reason, and I can't see anyone being fooled by his +/-,, but ur points are valid.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:11 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Malik is horrible, I watch him play every game, for every good play he makes 6 bonehead ones follow. His decision making is awful, and i have never seen someone score so much on their own team. Yes Dupuis for Bourret seems like a good deal right now, but we will see when and if Bourret makes the NHL I see your point, but these scouts are professionals for a reason, and I can't see anyone being fooled by his +/-,, but ur points are valid.
Malik with 1 yr at 2.75 million does hold value in a trade.

Look no further than your own Andy Sutton pulling in 4 million per on a multi-yr deal to see Malik's value in contract and salary.

People forget he plays 1st pair minutes on an imperfect top 6 but for his gaffes he still does more positive then negative.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
its actually kinda the opposite. for every 6 good plays he makes, he does one supremely awful play. but that play usually ends up in the back of the net.

if he could cut those idiotic plays out of his repertoire i would definitely want him to stay. sadly, even after 3 years of him being here, it doesnt look like that will be the case.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Kvashinator12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
Malik with 1 yr at 2.75 million does hold value in a trade.

Look no further than your own Andy Sutton pulling in 4 million per on a multi-yr deal to see Malik's value in contract and salary.

People forget he plays 1st pair minutes on an imperfect top 6 but for his gaffes he still does more positive then negative.
andy sutton makes 2.5 million....every gdt i see malik's head being called for.

Old
10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli

"This (Trade Rumor) Bores me"

that, and i hope it is not true....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote