HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommend a DVD for a young goalie?

Old
10-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Owen Money

vCash: 500
Recommend a DVD for a young goalie?

I'm hoping someone here can help. My almost-9-year-old has decided that all he wants to do in life is stop pucks. I'm fine with that, but I've never been a goaltender and don't have a clue as to where to start teaching him. His squirt team has a guy who's agreed to be a "goalie coach" because his kid's a goalie too, but he admits that he's just muddling through it as well as he can. The teams above and below us both have actual goalies as goalie coaches, but they're not too cool on spending more time on the ice with another team.

My kid's a decent all-around athlete, and I think he could be pretty good if he had some help figuring out how to play the position correctly.

Anyone know of a good DVD (or set of DVD's) that are produced/narrated at a level where a fidgety 3rd grader could understand it?

Many thanks in advance!

Owen Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
FiveThreeEmptyNet

Good luck to your son

Owen, there is more goal instruction today than there was 20 years ago. I remember growing up with kids who had little formal instruction beyond cutting down angles.

I only replied because I've recently watched Sean Skinner's Breakaways, Penalty Shots, & Shootouts. All I could think the whole time is that this guy doesn't have any sympathy for goaltenders!! All he talks about is how he's studied all the ways to score and that we should see scoring increase going forward because shooters will now be armed with all this information.

I do recommend the video for your son if he needs help on stopping breakaways since Skinner indicates the ways a shooter can tip their next move. Carry the puck in front of you and it foretells a deke. To the side and the 'tender doesn't know. When the lower hand drops, that means a shot is coming. Good stuff I'd never given much thought.

FiveThreeEmptyNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
BigBearnier

http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Goaltender-in-Hockey

there's some tips for starters...

http://www.goldinthenet.com/store/ca...php?exp=&cat=1

I'm not sure how good that is, but I'm sure it could be helpful...

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 07:07 PM
MikeD

Keeks guide to goaltending DVD. Good for the beginner and intermediate.

http://www.michiganhockeyonline.com/tips.html

Also check out popa goaltending. his machanics series are a bit expensive but IMHO teach the absolute best there is. Its not about the saves or style. Its about angles, positioning and how to be in the right place at the right time to make the save. How or what save selection is up to the individual goalie. His breakaway method is OUTSTANDING. My youngest was instructed by Coach Popa in 2003. He has allowed only 3 break away goals since, currently 99% on breakaway stops. Best season stats under the popa system S% .974 and GAA .987 (27 games played with 9 consecutive shut outs/11 total) ranked 4th in the state (NY) at the Squirt Tier I level, 2004-05)

also check out my websites tips page. There are many PDF downloads that are specific to the situaitons younger goalies will face, such as stopping the walk out....

http://www.hawksice.com/tips.html

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Owen Money

Thanks, all. I'll check out your suggestions!

Owen Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
mmmjays

Are there any really great DVD's on ice hockey for players? I got into hockey late and have never been coached and would love to watch some hockey instruction videos.

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote