HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How long should Hockey Equipment last?

Old
10-05-2007, 05:39 PM
melubsdonna

vCash: 500
How long should Hockey Equipment last?

Hey guys,

I'm new to hockey and i'm looking into buying the following: pants, shoulder pad, elbow pads, knee pads. How long are they expected to last? I ask because I have a choice of spending a lot of money for good quality stuff (e.g. $200 pants) or buying much cheaper gear that will suffice. If equipment doesn't last long, I won't pay a lot for it. I play in a no body checking league and plan to play hockey more intensively as time goes on. The main reason I'd want better equipment is for the fit, as I find the cheaper stuff slow me down when i play.

Of the items i listed, i think i would go out of my way to spend the most on pants. Is that practical? my rationale is that I want to be as fast as possible and I need pants that fit perfectly. Should pants fit comfortably loose or very snug and fitted? Thanks guys.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
XweekendwarriorX

how long the equipment last is how good you take care of it becuase its all underneath padding nothing really on the outside. the pants it all depends on what you like. i personally dont think they make you fast or slow becuase there all basically the same except padding placement and design but pants is rally your call and what you feel is right but all this is just how i feel tho.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
brymel
HFBoards Sponsor

You should spend the most money on the equipment that is the most important. Skates and helmet. It also depends alot on how much time you spend on the ice. For my son, I never scrimp on skates or helmets, but he is on the ice a minimum of four days a week. He gets top of the line skates regardless of the cost and never used. Helmet...same thing...

brymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Ducks

The Baur Supreme pants have a nice slim fit, I'd try on some of those if I were you. But generally as far as pads go, unless you get the really cheap stuff, usually the middle of the road stuff lasts just as long as the expensive stuff, it depends mostly on how you take care of it.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
MikeD

IF you take good care of the gear it can last for VERY VERY long times. I know some guys who have had pants, shoulders, gloves (repalmed a few times) and such for over a decade.

never leave it wet in the gear bag, never leave it in the cold to freeze when wet, keep it out of direct sunlight and out of a musty basement, air dry after every use, and consider having it cleaned (ozone cleaning is fast and cheap) twice to 3 times a season.....easily, good quality gear will last an adult year round ice player for many many years.

Most of my current gear is Pro level, cost top dollar in 2000 and today looks very well. The care you give it determines your ice gears longevity. I agree that you spend top dollar on the most important pieces. Helmet, jock, skates, shoulders....but if you intend to give it all good care, dont look at pricetags. Just get pro level gear that fits you well.

as for pants and fit, it depends on your preference. Some guys take most of the inseam stitching out for the total loose fit. Other guys i know like a more snug fit. Some models allow you to adjust the inseams for a custom individual fit . Do the research and look at the gear A LOT before you drop top dollar.

Last edited by MikeD: 10-05-2007 at 10:49 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
IF you take good care of the gear it can last for VERY VERY long times. I know some guys who have had pants, shoulders, gloves (repalmed a few times) and such for over a decade.

never leave it wet in the gear bag, never leave it in the cold to freeze when wet, keep it out of direct sunlight and out of a musty basement, air dry after every use, and consider having it cleaned (ozone cleaning is fast and cheap) twice to 3 times a season.....easily, good quality gear will last an adult year round ice player for many many years.

Most of my current gear is Pro level, cost top dollar in 2000 and today looks very well. The care you give it determines your ice gears longevity. I agree that you spend top dollar on the most important pieces. Helmet, jock, skates, shoulders....but if you intend to give it all good care, dont look at pricetags. Just get pro level gear that fits you well.

as for pants and fit, it depends on your preference. Some guys take most of the inseam stitching out for the total loose fit. Other guys i know like a more snug fit. Some models allow you to adjust the inseams for a custom individual fit . Do the research and look at the gear A LOT before you drop top dollar.

Goalie gear is different as in the more you spend, nicer quality with nicer materials in the pads for sliding, etc. But for normal skaters, it doesn't matter as much. And also you say the cheaper pads slow you down, well I find it to be the opposite. While it's not as high-tech as more expensive stuff, the padding is a heckuva lot lighter (but not as protective which shouldn't be an issues in your league).

But I agree with the fact that skates and helmet are #1 priorities...and especially don't go wasting your money right away on one of them shiny OPS sticks.

Pants, go try some as people have their preferences. Don't forget to look for zippered legs too as it might help loosen the pants up a bit if they are feeling too snug once you get out there.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Ducks

in reference to keeping your gear clean, I find that filling a spray bottle with a solution of 60% rubbing alcohol 40% water, and spritzing all my gear down while i set it out to air dry is great at killing bacteria and helping it remain odorless.

Old
10-05-2007, 11:31 PM
AgentNaslund*

my hockey gloves ive been using for 7 years.

shin guards 4 years.

shoulder pads should last a long time, however recnetly i did purchase new ones for interest of upgrading my equipment.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2007, 11:31 PM
MikeD

I have to disagree. The cheap stuff comes out of textile mills in China. Good materials come from Canada, US and japan. The materials used for player gear is no different. With the exception of my leg pad faces being jenpro, its pretty much the same same. Defender nylon, found in high end products will outlast any of the chinese made cordura found in the cheap products. Sunlight alone will bring that crap to an early grave. Many of the stitching that uses kevlar reinforcement will outlast any of the cheapo chinese made threading.

Not only does that alcohol/water mix work great for preventing and removing odors, does not harm materials AND it can be used to make SLUSHY ice packs for those hard to ice areas like an ankle or elbow. mixed 3:1 part water works a bit better as an icepack.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 10:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Gloves will usually last the least amount of time due to the palms ripping, but other than that, everything should last you a long time.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 03:34 PM
sc37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I have to disagree. The cheap stuff comes out of textile mills in China. Good materials come from Canada, US and japan. The materials used for player gear is no different. With the exception of my leg pad faces being jenpro, its pretty much the same same. Defender nylon, found in high end products will outlast any of the chinese made cordura found in the cheap products. Sunlight alone will bring that crap to an early grave. Many of the stitching that uses kevlar reinforcement will outlast any of the cheapo chinese made threading.

Not only does that alcohol/water mix work great for preventing and removing odors, does not harm materials AND it can be used to make SLUSHY ice packs for those hard to ice areas like an ankle or elbow. mixed 3:1 part water works a bit better as an icepack.
Idk about materials and individual components...but most everything says made in China, Thailand, etc. I just looked my stuff over, and that's what it says. My expensive composite hockey stick? Mexico, yippy!

Old
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

When I played I got a new pair of gloves every year or twice a year.

Skates last years if you take care of them, keep the blades well maintained.

Shoulderpads should last indefinitly, Pants last a few years. Elbow pads can last forever, and Helmets, I would get a new one every couple of years because statisticlly the more damage they take the less likely they are going to hold up to the punishment. Since your in a no contact league this isn't really an issue tho i guess.

Gotta keep the noggin protected.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 05:19 PM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
Until it starts to play hockey without you

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Idk about materials and individual components...but most everything says made in China, Thailand, etc. I just looked my stuff over, and that's what it says. My expensive composite hockey stick? Mexico, yippy!
Most of my stuff is made in China too, but whatev.

Does anyone know of a good grip that doesn't wear out the palm of your glove as bad as cloth tape does? I really like the fit and feel of my gloves and would like to prolong them as long as possible.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:47 AM
vivianmb

hello guys ... gloves can be REPALMED .
tackla pants are extremely comfortable
some of these new helmets look ridiculous. get a simple ccm or bauer.
skates deteriate the quickest. after your done skating,remove the footpad or whatever you'd like to call it and let them dry . put PROTECT-TOE on the front toecap. use it liberally.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Ducks

I live in California though, there isn't much of a hockey glove repalming market here.

Old
10-07-2007, 02:24 PM
clawfirst

The only real answer is a smart ass one, untill it breaks
one season i went through 26 sticks, and had my skate blades replaced 3 times due to breakage from a shot

You get what you pay for, and can use it till you no longer feel safe.
My gloves are now about 10 years old but are covered in tape to hold them together
they are beyond the point of repalming. But i dont care its beer league hockey, I dont even use shoulder pads.

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 02:29 PM
clawfirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
hello guys ... gloves can be REPALMED .
tackla pants are extremely comfortable
some of these new helmets look ridiculous. get a simple ccm or bauer.
skates deteriate the quickest. after your done skating,remove the footpad or whatever you'd like to call it and let them dry . put PROTECT-TOE on the front toecap. use it liberally.
yes pull out the insole to preserve the rivets, but rivets can be replaced cheaply its not that big a deal (2$ a rivet)
i dont like toe pro i want my skate to look like ive played before, that stuff doesnt structually help anything, it would take 15 years of playing for the wear to loosen the stitching that much and one hell of a shot to break it.

Dont use black tape for the knob on your stick, its corrosive and destroys the leather on your palm

clawfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
sc37

You can replam them thru the mail...heard many good comments about this place: http://www.fixitbymail.com/hockey.html Or drop by a shoe repair or tailor and see if they can do it.

As for grip...I find cloth tape to be the best, well white cloth tape. But there are rubber/plasticizing spray you can buy from like Home Depot and Easton Grip Cloths you might want to try.

Old
10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
I live in California though, there isn't much of a hockey glove repalming market here.
I've actually never used the hockey stores for re-palming work. A shoe repair shop-type of place will do just fine. And often for MUCH cheaper than a hockey shop too.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Numba29

Send a message via AIM to Numba29
I spend traditionaly 80 bucks on my hockey equipment. And it works fine. I'm in a Major A league so we do hit, not too hard, but hard enough where the equipment cant be just foam. Like, my shin gaurds, I DO NOT block shots because I have roller hockey, franklin ones. Horrible I know, but they were 20 bucks. I also have franklin elbow pads, 20 bucks. My Shoulder pads were 80, my pants where 40 (roller hockey) and my gloves were 80. My skates, which, I love, were 500. So, thats just my run down. Cheap, will do, but make sure you wont die if you get hit with something, or by someone.

Numba29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:01 PM
sc37

Just wanted to tack a story onto this thread cause was just discussing this one guy we all played drop-in with last night after our game. It started with me mentioning this guy I played with wears original CCM Tacks with kangaroo leather and steel holders But then my teammates were like...ohhhh that guy. And rattled off the fact he wears like a vintage Red Wings jersey as well as all vintage CCM and Cooper equipment. And also with the non-bulkiness of his stuff, it all fits into like a tiny gym bag. Apparently he dude bought his stuff brand new in like the 50-60s and is still using them after playing in the leagues for forever.

I'd mention he was quite deceiving, thinking we need to take it easy on the old guy, but he plays a nice brand of Nic Lidstrom defense still!

Old
10-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Just wanted to tack a story onto this thread cause was just discussing this one guy we all played drop-in with last night after our game. It started with me mentioning this guy I played with wears original CCM Tacks with kangaroo leather and steel holders But then my teammates were like...ohhhh that guy. And rattled off the fact he wears like a vintage Red Wings jersey as well as all vintage CCM and Cooper equipment. And also with the non-bulkiness of his stuff, it all fits into like a tiny gym bag. Apparently he dude bought his stuff brand new in like the 50-60s and is still using them after playing in the leagues for forever.

I'd mention he was quite deceiving, thinking we need to take it easy on the old guy, but he plays a nice brand of Nic Lidstrom defense still!
Lol yeah, a guy I play pickup with on Tuesday nights still has the old cooper shoulder pads. I think it's great, they definately don't make him look like a NFL linebacker like some of the guys' pads, and really it's all you need for non-check hockey.

Old
10-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With proper care, helmets, pants, shoulders, elbows, and shins should last you several years. Skates depend on the quality and type and how hard you are on them and how often you skate, but anywhere from three months for cheap skates to a few years for nice ones. Gloves I find wear out pretty quick, six months to a year before they need new palms or replacing.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 08:16 AM
ShowmeHawks

I've been using the same Sherwood shin pads for 10 + years, although it is almost time to retire them becasue the padding is falling out (maybe only a restitch). I just bought a new pair of skates, but my old ones lasted me 10 + years. I bought a used pair of elbow pads about a month ago, but again my old ones lasted 10 + years, and I only bought them because they're the ones I've wanted since I was 14 (26 now). My gloves and shoulder pads are about 7 years old.

With the exception of the skates, nothing here was top of the line stuff 10 + years ago. I air dry it after every use as soon as I get home. It decorated my mothers living room, and I have since moved on to the deck of my place. It stinks, but no one seems to mind. I didn't take out the insoles of my old skates and the rivets didn't wear out, but the screw that holds the blade to the boot/casing wore out and the blade wiggled a little bit.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote