HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A New Garden V thread

Old
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
A New Garden V thread

It's been a really long time since the last thread, so I figured I would post this in a new one. This is not an official release by the developers or anything; it's just a report on preservation of the Farley Post Office. Of course, the tone is pretty negative on the impact a new arena would have on the building, especially concerning MSG's supposedly unscrupulous use of exterior advertising.

Some of the renderings are pretty cool, though... most or all of hockey.

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/hp/stud...pdf/Farley.pdf

Other than this, I've heard nothing in a really long time.

Know what would be great? If the public had ANY CLUE about what was going on with this project.

Old
10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Choice

vCash: 500
Good stuff. It's cool that they are keeping the post office facade to give the old-time feel. I hope that they make the interior unqiue/similar to this current Garden rather than virtually indistinguishable from any other arena built in the mid 90s or after.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Thanks for posting.

Very informative document.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I think everyone tried to download it at once, cuz I'm 70% of the way through and it just stopped. Tried to restart and now it won't do anything.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
broadwayblue

actually i posted in the current Garden V thread a week or so ago. there was an article about it in the paper.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
The new ceiling structure should be an engineering advancement, an echo of MSG IV's innovation in roof design. Current roof structure designs still reflect the influence of MSG IV's cable roof system. The 2003 Sazka Arena in Prague, is currently the world's most modern.
That would look terrific.

And i love how they used the hockey set up for all of their models rather than the basketball, concert, boxing etc...

Old
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
actually i posted in the current Garden V thread a week or so ago. there was an article about it in the paper.
Hahah, whoops. Merge if necessary.

Old
10-08-2007, 11:19 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Would love to see what the developers think, since the preservation society almost always gets the short end of the stick.

Old
10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
broadwayblue

i'm getting a "this file is damaged and cannot be repaired" error. weird.

Old
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thanks for the heads up, looks pretty neat.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:01 PM
92hatchattack

i just hope somebody thinks this project out, and makes an arene that can accomodate more fans than the current garden, since rangers seats are so hard to come by this season.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
darrenturcotte#8

How do you think they transfer season ticket holders seats? 200's are the 1st rows of the upper deck?

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
nyrmetros

20, 000 for hockey with some standing room tix would be great. Therefore, not gonna happen..

I'm happy with MSG IV

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
It's been a really long time since the last thread, so I figured I would post this in a new one. This is not an official release by the developers or anything; it's just a report on preservation of the Farley Post Office. Of course, the tone is pretty negative on the impact a new arena would have on the building, especially concerning MSG's supposedly unscrupulous use of exterior advertising.

Some of the renderings are pretty cool, though... most or all of hockey.

http://www.arch.columbia.edu/hp/stud...pdf/Farley.pdf

Other than this, I've heard nothing in a really long time.

Know what would be great? If the public had ANY CLUE about what was going on with this project.

file not downloading

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:35 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
file not downloading
Yeah, seems pretty finicky. Some have gotten it to work. Sorry if it doesn't.

Old
10-08-2007, 12:39 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
Yeah, seems pretty finicky. Some have gotten it to work. Sorry if it doesn't.
Not working for me, either! Oh well.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
dank

Quote:
20, 000 for hockey with some standing room tix would be great. Therefore, not gonna happen..

I'm happy with MSG IV

standing room tickets!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

I'm happy with MSG IV
The Madison Square Garden proposal included in this PDF says it would have an "improved 21,000 seat arena; Scattered corporate boxes, better sight lines, innovative roof structure, lobbies and ticket windows and restaurants and hall of fame"

Not to mention a very impressive station, lobby area design and a modernized facility.

Sounds better than the current MSG if you ask me - with about 3,000 more seats.

MSG 1 lasted almost 20 years, MSG 2 - 35 yrs; MSG 3 - 43 yrs; MSG 4 - 40 yrs and counting.

I think its time for a new one - just like historic Yankee Stadium 2, things constantly progress in this town.

Not to mention that this document is made by the preservation society and not the developers themselves.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-08-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old
10-08-2007, 02:19 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think its time for a new one - just like historic Yankee Stadium 2, things constantly progress in this town.
I think there's a big diferance between MSG IV and Yankee stadium. The stadium is an attractive piece of architecture that is full of history. On the other hand, this incarnation of MSG is an ugly piece of late 60's architecture that should never have been built. And, because MSG has moved so many times, there is far less of a attachment to the building itself. Wherever you put it, as long as you call it the garden and it's home to the Knicks and Rangers, it will be the Garden. And the prospect of having that facility within a gorgeous building of historical significance is quite appealing. Plus, with the ice surface no longer directly over the station, the quality of the ice should improve (it's never going to be Edmonton, removing that heat source below can only help.) This proposal can't bring back Penn Station, but it sounds like the next best option. I love it, though I'm skeptical about it ever getting done.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I think there's a big diferance between MSG IV and Yankee stadium. The stadium is an attractive piece of architecture that is full of history. On the other hand, this incarnation of MSG is an unatractive piece of late 60's architecture that should never have been built. And, because MSG has moved so many times, there is far less of a attatchment to the building itself. Wherever you put it, as long as you call it the garden and it's home to the Knicks and Rangers, it will be the Garden. And the prospect of having that facility within a gorgeous building of historicl signifigance is quite appealing. It can't bring back Penn Station, but it sounds like the next best option.
I agree that its tough to compare.

But i'm merely pointing out that no matter how historic a site or how many significant moments or architechtural bonds it may hold - it still can be knocked down for progression and re-birth.

A lot of fans (and for understandable reasons) seem to hold onto these buildings too much when historically New York has rarely gone the way of preservation, like a European city would for instance. As you have pointed out MSG holds little or any of that architectural glory, besides memories.

Incorporating it into a historical site with the new arena is very intriguing, I agree.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-08-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old
10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
How do you think they transfer season ticket holders seats? 200's are the 1st rows of the upper deck?
I was thinking the same thing. No doubt they will continue the trend of most new arenas/ballparks where they increase the number of lower/field level seats. As a result, many of the existing 100's/200's will probably be incorporated into club seating, so the new 100/200 sections would become the old 300's. Basically we'll all have to pay double the price to keep our same seats, or move back a section.

Old
10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think it comes down to this: if the Dolan's want a new arena they will get one, whether it's in the Farley Building or elsewhere. The current site of MSG is one of the most valuable pieces of property in Manhattan, and the pull of the Dolan's and the other developers will get a deal done.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Satisifying the preservation society or not.

Old
10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Satisifying the preservation society or not.
Exactly. The Dolan's put enough ca$h, they'll get what they want.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Exactly. The Dolan's put enough ca$h, they'll get what they want.
You really get the idea when reading this that the preservation society knows its going to stand in the way of certain ideas, but at the same time knows that in the end it will be outdone by the almighty dollar.

All in all I dont think they are asking too much - especially when the new Garden will be built in the private sector annex of the building or the "back".

Its the clash of advertising and use of media on the exterior architecture that they seem most concerned about.

What's encouraging is that they dont dismiss MSG moving in there. They want a stable tenant in there long term so further alterations won't take place.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.