HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A New Garden V thread

Old
10-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Sorry, it's one of the downfalls of being constantly exhausted. You're absolutely right, it would be impossible to build a new arena on the current site without relocating the teams. But why not have the Rangers play in Brooklyn at the Nets Arena and the Knicks could play in Newark where the Devils will open soon.
or...

the rangers and knicks could move to the meadowlands arena for a few years...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
the trend to build arenas with less seats is typically due to teams not being able to fill the arenas. the devils seating capacity will be lower in newark then it was in the meadowlands because except games against the rangers they couldn't fill the building. why had 20,000 seats if you only get 14,000 people at the game? a 17,000 sellout looks better then 17,000 with 2,000 empty seats.

the rangers on the other hand have sold out every ticket for the season, have a waiting list for season tickets and countless fans pissed that there are no single game seats available. the rangers have no problem filling the current arena and would be able to fill a much bigger arena. now 21,000 might be pushing it but if you can fill 19,500 every night why would you go smaller?? that would just be losing money.
Almost every baseball stadium built over the past 10 or so years has been smaller than its predecessor, including the new Yankees and Mets fields. You don't lose money if you include revenue streams like seat licenses. I'm not suggesting they would go smaller than 18,200 or so we seat now, but I would be very surprised if they went much past 19,000.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
or...

Or the Knicks could play at the new Brooklyn Nets arena on off nights, while the NYR play at Rye Playland.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
or...

Over my dead body.

Old
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
or...

There's no public transportation. Both arenas I mentioned are easily accessible.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
A new home for the Rangers and Knicks in downtown Manhattan is going to be one of the most difficult deals to go down in NYC history. The politics alone make it very difficult. Not to mention the cost factors.

Is there anywhere else where a new arena can be built in Manhattan?
The proposed West Side Stadium site?

Which would really piss a lot of people off.

Sky Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
There's no public transportation. Both arenas I mentioned are easily accessible.
both arenas owners have issues with james dolan..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Rangers play in NVMC while Knicks play in Barclay.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
ThisYearsModel

Rangers could play in Hartford for a couple years.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Play in Hartford? What the....? They are NY, not CT Rangers.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
both arenas owners have issues with james dolan..
From what's been published in the papers (including reports of a screaming match between father and son), I'm not sure I'd bet on Jimmy being in charge for that much longer. Especially with two more lawsuits on deck against the Garden et al.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Almost every baseball stadium built over the past 10 or so years has been smaller than its predecessor, including the new Yankees and Mets fields. You don't lose money if you include revenue streams like seat licenses. I'm not suggesting they would go smaller than 18,200 or so we seat now, but I would be very surprised if they went much past 19,000.
That's because contrary to popular belief, smaller baseball stadiums are generally more profitable.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krndevil View Post
Play in Hartford? What the....? They are NY, not CT Rangers.
And it also wouldn't t work because the Garden doesn't run the HCC anymore. They'd have to come up with an agreement (read: $$$) to play there.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...M0U&refer=muse

This Bloomberg story says:

Quote:
A bad sign is the Dolans' selection of Canadian architect Brisbin Brook Beynon, a little-known firm whose Web site suggests a talent so meager as to make us long for the dumpy Garden we've got.
BBB is the firm that designed both the Air Canada Centre and General Motors Place, two buildings known more for their functionality and amenities than their visual appeal. I.e. they both look like warehouses. But in this case, if they were to build in the Farley annex, there'd be very close watch kept on what they would and would not be doing. I think a building there could still have a very "beaux arts" look...

Old
10-11-2007, 03:54 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
With the construction of the Barclay's Center, MSG (the company) may have trouble coming up with a valid reason to build a sports complex in Manhattan. Moynihan Station is an attempt to bring back some class to the city... especially with the loss of Old Penn Station.

So the Rags may simply play at Barclays for a few years while Penn Plaza undergoes reconstruction. Because moving anywhere from there is just cost-prohibitive.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
With the construction of the Barclay's Center, MSG (the company) may have trouble coming up with a valid reason to build a sports complex in Manhattan. Moynihan Station is an attempt to bring back some class to the city... especially with the loss of Old Penn Station.

So the Rags may simply play at Barclays for a few years while Penn Plaza undergoes reconstruction. Because moving anywhere from there is just cost-prohibitive.
Not sure if it was your intention, but some of us find the RAGS thing offensieve. Either dont post it, or stop being lazy and type out Rangers.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 11:13 PM
nyrmetros

I'd love to see the north or south goal have a 2, 000 perosn standing room terraced capacity...... other than that I am not in favor of MSG V inside the new train station.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:10 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
The city won't let Cablevision manipulate a project which is attempting to restore a bit of history and class to the city that was lost when the original Pennsylvania Railroad Station was demolished. Any attempt to do so will only result in more socio-politico-legal hurdles.

Also, MSG has its property with a tax break... so why build anywhere else?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 01:43 AM
cityhockeyfever

Just so it doesn't get lost, here is where the original "new MSG" thread is located: "MSG 5 Update!"
That is just in case the idea of merging the two threads is considered. I left my opinion on post #199 there.

I don't take what those Columbia University students put together too seriously. Hopefully all parties come up with a wonderful plan here. The future MSG 5 is a project like no other where perfect planning must take place to make the new arena really special to balance preserving history and tradition of New York City sports with amazing architecture inside and outside as well as include all the best and up-to-date start of the art amenities. I would love to see a re-creation of the current MSG's ceiling. There isn't another I know of like it in North America. One that comes close to any resemblance is the ceiling at Oracle Arena in Oakland, California (it's all black).

There should be no cutting corners here. Whatever it takes to build the very best, just do it.

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhockeyfever View Post

You see the current Madison Square Garden and the Farley Post Office directly across the street (with the eggshell colored roof) that will eventually be the new Moynihan Station. Look right behind that and you see a square-shaped building. That's the property where the new arena would go. It's practically the same size as the current MSG.

Regarding your post #199...

Is it just me or does the property where the new arena look alot smaller?? Maybe it's the block MSG currently sits on or the fact that the building is round?

I dunno...looks alot smaller to me, no?

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
cityhockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Regarding your post #199...

Is it just me or does the property where the new arena look alot smaller?? Maybe it's the block MSG currently sits on or the fact that the building is round?

I dunno...looks alot smaller to me, no?

-B
It does look a bit deceiving. However, the size of the property should be the same. However, given the recent report that the local media covered on Prudential Center's issue with the streets being too close to that building's entrances, there appears to not be as much of a buffer zone from the curb to the building at the potential new MSG site as it appears there now.

Also the current MSG is taller than that building behind the Farley Post Office as well, so that may throw us off in terms of our viewing perspective.

Personally, I'd rather pass full judgment when the day comes that official plans are unveiled to the public and how that space is utilized. I'd prefer more space to fit the new arena and have as much room as possible to build a spectacular venue without having to squeeze. While the arena turned out very nicely built, Bell Centre in Montreal is still a bit cramped (such as its concourses) since that arena was also built in a block area. Ask Habs fans about that.

Old
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
or...

That would be weird. The Meadowlands Arena hosting the two teams it was originally built for in the first place.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM
blue425

Ahh it has been awhile.

I am neither for or against the idea of a new msg. Though the new scoreboards tell me, and I could be wrong, that nothing is going to happen for quite some time.

Course I could be reading too much into something that is little more then a minor upgrade. Why spend the money though if a new arena is imminent?

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
cityhockeyfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Course I could be reading too much into something that is little more then a minor upgrade. Why spend the money though if a new arena is imminent?
It is a very minor upgrade. Madison Square Garden has fallen behind the times in terms of state-of-the-art. A few things here and there since the last renovation in 1991 weren't ones of major impact. The new scoreboard upgrades were necessary regardless of a new MSG on the horizon.

The way it is looking right now, we may not see a new MSG open for business until 2012. Hopefully that's not true and it is built sooner. Even a new Coliseum for the Islanders might not happen for at least another three years from now thanks to Nassau County politics.

Old
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I still love the current garden, so they can take their time with the new one.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote