HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Practice notes-Hossa back w/Jagr,Strudwick back w/Staal

Old
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Practice notes-Hossa back w/Jagr,Strudwick back w/Staal

Quote:
Instead, Tom Renney opted to put Hossa back where he had success late last season -- on Jaromir Jagr's line. Renney moved Martin Straka onto the Gomez-Shanahan line.
Quote:
One other change from Saturday night at Ottawa: Paul Mara was back in the top-six on defense, paired with Marc Staal as Jason Strudwick and Thomas Pock looked like the designated scratches.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...return_of.html

The Rangers will probably not call up a replacement for Avery

Last edited by RangerBoy: 10-09-2007 at 01:06 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:37 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Hossa-Drury-Jagr
Straka-Gomez-Shanny
Callahan-Betts-Prucha
Hollweg--Dubinsky-Orr
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I don't like Dubinsky on the 4th line. I think he fits in perfectly with Prucha and Callahan.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...return_of.html

The Rangers will probably not call up a replacement for Avery
That'll save a decent hunk of change when he goes on LTIR, which one would assume since he'll be out for a month.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:11 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!! Must Betts be on the 3rd line and Dubinsky on the 4th?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!! Must Betts be on the 3rd line and Dubinsky on the 4th?
I wouldn't amke too much of it. Renney has been saying that he will move Betts & Dubi back and forth.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
AXN

I don't like Dubinsky playing with two guys who can't get five points in a season either. This is going to get interesting when Avery gets back. I do like the top two lines. Why not Mara with Girardi? Considering that Mara should get at least 23 minutes a night and seems so will Girardi, it makes perfect sense to play them together. Tyutin and Staal can make the last pair.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Fletch

Did Renney say that forechecker...

or did he say he put Betts in during the third period against the 'Cats for defensive measures. This would be different than starting Betts with him. But then again, if he does, hopefully he changes it up if it doesn't work real quickly.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
or did he say he put Betts in during the third period against the 'Cats for defensive measures. This would be different than starting Betts with him. But then again, if he does, hopefully he changes it up if it doesn't work real quickly.
He said the he moved Betts up for defensive reasons, and that he would do so when he felt the occasion warranted it, but that it wouldn't be at the expense of Dubi's growth and experience as the 3rd line center.

The more I think about it, that 3rd line of Pru-Dubi-Cally really does need someone with a touch more experience. I wouldn't mind Avery spending some time on that line with Pru or Cally moving up to play with Shanny.

Old
10-08-2007, 01:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Straka with Gomez makes a lot of sense. He's one of the few guys on the team who can truly keep up with Gomez's speed.

10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Fletch

Forechecker...

I'm not sure that line needs more experience, but I have always thought that Hossa may be better-suited for that line. I just think the third line can grind it out a bit more and possess the puck a bit more and Hossa's better at that than Prucha. Dubi and Cally can do that too (as could Avery, if healthy). As such, Prucha with Shanny and Straka with Jagr made more sense. Flipping Straka and Prucha also makes sense (in the current lineup scenario). I guess I'm saying that Prucha and Callahan aren't my ideal winger pairing.

Old
10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Here's my post from the 'Cats GDT:

Quote:
Renney just gave Dubi a huge vote of confidence in his press conference saying that he was good in the face-off circle, he's totally fearless, and the decision in the 3rd to move Betts up was to give that line a little defensive responsibility, but not "at the expense of Brendon".
And a Renney quote from Sam's blog:

Quote:
Renney said he wasn’t punishing Dubinsky but that he liked the poise Betts added to that line late. “It was a game we needed to win, it’s that simple,” the coach said. “Brandon will get his opportunity to carry the load under those circumstances in the future for sure.”

Old
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Forechecker

Experience may not be the right word, Fletch, but you get what I mean. Dubi and Hossa would be great puck possession players for that line with EITHER Pru or Cally there to put the biscuit in the basket at the right moment. Having two grinders cycling down low along the boards should leave the third forward relatively open in front of the net.

Old
10-08-2007, 02:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I always get the feeling when i read any of Renneys comments in these off days that he doesn't want anyone to know what hes got planned for the next game though hes got it figured out the very next day after the prior game.

He tip-toes around answers and gives you so many hypotheticals its almost as if he purposely messes with fans like us who hang on every word.

"We tried it today, we'll see, I'll think that over, I think it went well,"

What the ****!?!?!?!

Its game 3 and he's in playoff form.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Forechecker

I think he's been taking notes from Torre.

Old
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
good, mara needs to be in the top 6.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Fletch

Forechecker...

I do get what you mean - I think we're on the same page - no Cally and Prucha on the same line (right?).

Also, regarding Betts - I saw that same quote, which is why it would bother me a bit since I get the implication that Betts centering the line now is more than for him to just come in during the third period of a game in which the Rangers lead. But again, Renney's changing things up quickly. Not sure if that's good or bad though.

Old
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I always get the feeling when i read any of Renneys comments in these off days that he doesn't want anyone to know what hes got planned for the next game though hes got it figured out the very next day after the prior game.

He tip-toes around answers and gives you so many hypotheticals its almost as if he purposely messes with fans like us who hang on every word.

"We tried it today, we'll see, I'll think that over, I think it went well,"

What the ****!?!?!?!

Its game 3 and he's in playoff form.
Exactly. BTW, if you wanna know what Renney actually think, just ask me.
Bottom line. Betts is Renney's 3rd line centre. I was saying it all alone and will repeat as many times. There is a need for centre readily available to play third defenseman. That's what Renney needs. Could Drury do better job? Yes, but now it is not a good time to start Drury on third. Up until then, please welcome Mr. Blair Betts there.
Dubi is fine, but he's not what Renney sees as 3C. Dubi is offense minded centre. Renney needs a defense minded one.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
I do get what you mean - I think we're on the same page - no Cally and Prucha on the same line (right?).
Yep.

Old
10-08-2007, 03:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'm not sure that line needs more experience, but I have always thought that Hossa may be better-suited for that line. I just think the third line can grind it out a bit more and possess the puck a bit more and Hossa's better at that than Prucha. Dubi and Cally can do that too (as could Avery, if healthy). As such, Prucha with Shanny and Straka with Jagr made more sense. Flipping Straka and Prucha also makes sense (in the current lineup scenario). I guess I'm saying that Prucha and Callahan aren't my ideal winger pairing.
But Prucha didn't really click with Shanny last year. Maybe a different center changes that?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Fletch

It wasn't so much that Prucha...

didn't click specifically with Shanny, it was the entire line never got going, and yes, the centerman had something to do with that, I believe.

Old
10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
TheHotRock

I don't get the hossa-drury-jagr, that line doesn't make sense to me without a dangler type of guy.

i'll say it again- shanny's $$ should've went to nylander

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Fletch

Hbnyc...

I think that Renney gives those hypotheticals because he doesn't want someone to come back and say, "but you said...". He's keeping his options open. He knows he may use Betts more than Dubi (something I thought would be the case - it really hasn't been yet, but it's close), but he doesn't want to be second-guessed about his treatment of Dubi (or criticized), if he does happen to play him with Orr and Hollweg more than with Prucha and Cally.

94 - I do disagree that Renney wants his centerman to be a Betts-type - more defense than offense. Last season was an example of that when he couldn't get Betts to the fourth line fast enough and played guys out of position to keep him there. If Betts plays the third line over Dubi it's because he's not going to lose a game with a rookie as a third line centerman who may not be fully-seasoned defensively. If Dubi was showing Renney he'd core 15 goals and get 25 assists and not be great defensively, he'd be 3C over Betts, much like Cullen was last season. He doesn't have full faith in the kid's defensive ability and will continue to ride the top two lines for the goals until he does improve there. He wants offense from his top three lines. He searched high and low for it last season.

Old
10-08-2007, 04:55 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Straka with Gomez makes a lot of sense. He's one of the few guys on the team who can truly keep up with Gomez's speed.
+1

I am waiting for the Gomez/Callahan Experiment...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Putting Hossa with Jagr is a no-brainer if we're looking to get something out of Hossa.

Betts should be playing with Callahan and Prucha over Dubinsky right now. Betts is faster, better defensively, and has better NHL hockey sense right now. 30 games from now it may be different but people losing it over Dubinsky playing with scrubs don't seem to realize that right now, Dubinsky is a scrub too.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote