HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dellapina shoots down the Jovo BS rumors

Old
10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Dellapina shoots down the Jovo BS rumors

Quote:
Of course, all this presupposes that the Rangers want Jovanovski and that he'd want to come here -- because he's got a no-trade clause and just built a house in the Phoenix area and doesn't want to move. Fact is, the Rangers have no interest in paying $6.5 million per season to any defenseman not named Niedermayer or Lidstrom or maybe Pronger. With $7 million per committed to forwards Scott Gomez and Chris Drury for the next five to seven years and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist due to sign an extension for more than $6 million per in January, how can the Rangers ice four lines and three D pairs if they shell out $6.5 million more to a defenseman who isn't a Norris Trophy type?
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...i_deal_ma.html

Couldn't have said it better myself

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Thank God!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Levitate

I kind of wonder if Maloney isn't trying to drum up interest because he wants certain young players the Rangers have

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 07:48 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
If only careless bloggers checked the facts...then maybe Dellapina's story would have some effect on the incessant Jovo-to-NYR rumors.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 07:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't know if he's really shooting it down, as everything he said has been mentioned here many times before. It's a logical argument that Dellapina makes, but as we all know this team doesn't always act in a logical fashion. I think the rumors are ********, but I knew that before this Dellapina entry.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
It's sad that this needed to be pointed out by a journalist. Any Ranger fan who follows the team should know that this move would be ridiculous, and hurt the Rangers in the long run.

Plus, how the hell is Jovo gonna help us in our own end!?

Grrr, I'm just tired of Jovo rumors.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

If anything, I could see the Rangers swapping Mara for Van Ryn.

Both are supposedly in the doghouse right now, and would probably benefit from a change of scenery.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Edge

The Rangers are quiet right now on the trade front or even the rumor front. They simply don't have the cap room to make some team altering move. If there is a deal, you're probably looking at a scenario similar to what Coldshot pointed out. Any salary brought in will HAVE to be matched by salary going out.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:51 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The Rangers are quiet right now on the trade front or even the rumor front. They simply don't have the cap room to make some team altering move. If there is a deal, you're probably looking at a scenario similar to what Coldshot pointed out. Any salary brought in will HAVE to be matched by salary going out.
I think it could happen, the only problem I see is that Van Ryn makes 200k more a year than Mara. That could be a problem. They're the same age, Van Ryn being a few months older. Van Ryn's a better skater, Mara is bigger and more physical.

If you ask me it's a lateral move, but I really don't feel that either player has played poorly enough to warrant being in the doghouse this early in the season.

I'm on the Markov bandwagon, but not at what he's asking for.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I think it could happen, the only problem I see is that Van Ryn makes 200k more a year than Mara. That could be a problem. They're the same age, Van Ryn being a few months older. Van Ryn's a better skater, Mara is bigger and more physical.

If you ask me it's a lateral move, but I really don't feel that either player has played poorly enough to warrant being in the doghouse this early in the season.

I'm on the Markov bandwagon, but not at what he's asking for.
Not to mention Van Ryan has two more seasons remaining on his contract after this season

Van Ryn's cap number is $2.9 million so the Rangers would be saving $100,000 this season but assuming 2 years on a contract.Plus Van Ryn had a bad wrist last season

I thought of Mara for Warrener with a $2.35 million cap # but he is signed through 2008-09

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:44 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Not to mention Van Ryan has two more seasons remaining on his contract after this season

Van Ryn's cap number is $2.9 million so the Rangers would be saving $100,000 this season but assuming 2 years on a contract.Plus Van Ryn had a bad wrist last season

I thought of Mara for Warrener with a $2.35 million cap # but he is signed through 2008-09
would you really want Warriner?

i'd rather build from within and allow Staal or even Sauer to have their growing pains in NY than bring in Warriner. Mara has a nice blend of tools; he can shoot, play somewhat physical and isnt a liability at the back...he's simply overpriced.

He prefer him to Warriner anyway.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would take Van Ryn over Mara any day of the week. Even for 200K more on his contract and another year or two.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I would take Van Ryn over Mara any day of the week. Even for 200K more on his contract and another year or two.
i'd take Van Ryan too but not with 2 more years. We need to be able to be as felxible as possible, especialyl with the host of possible blueline players coming through (ie. Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Sanguinetti etc) so 2 years would likely block a guy like Sauer.

Would i take Van Ryan for this year? yes, but not on a longer initial commitment.

Old
10-09-2007, 08:07 AM
94now

Not that I want Jovo, but in fairness Gomez or Drury are not premium signings either. The only premium players we've got are Jagr and Lundqvist.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Not that I want Jovo, but in fairness Gomez or Drury are not premium signings either. The only premium players we've got are Jagr and Lundqvist.
with all due resepct i totally disagree. Whilst Gomez may not be premium and coming off a mediocre season he is a great player but Drury is a premium player.

You dont have to have a career best 100pts/yr to be a premium player. He is the best player in the NHl at clutch and come playoffs every team would love have to have this guy...even Anaheim or Ottawa etc...

He's a leader, a go to guy, a scorer, a clutch legend. The guy IS premium.

John Madden, Pahlsson, Fisher are premium at what they do, without hitting huge numbers, and Drury is also premium at what he does/is - with (to a certain degree) putting up great numbers.

How many game winners does he already have in his career? thats the mark of a premium player.

Old
10-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Hankenstein

Take a look at the comments section. Eklund responded to the story!

Hankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankenstein View Post
Take a look at the comments section. Eklund responded to the story!
Yeah, what a Bozo.

He always spins it back and says his "sources indicate" - who the hell are these so-called sources anyway? Maybe for his sake he should find new sources but i doubt that will happen because he doesnt have them in the first place.

What he should do is just quit. Great seeing him called out there though and then not responding.

He got *****-slapped

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Ok, so Van Ryn is making less a year, that's what I thought at first. My mistake. I read his cap hit for this year was 3.2, my fault.

I would stick with Mara at this point, as you want cap flexibility with contracts. Plus, our defense needs to be more physical, not lose more size and strength.

As for Warrener, I don't think he's the same defenseman anymore, and he's older with a contract lifespan that is much longer. Pass.

Old
10-09-2007, 01:40 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
Plenty of talk both ways regarding Jovonaski. John Delepina, one of my personal favorites, de-bunked the rumour yesterday in his blog saying the Rangers neither have the cap space or interest.

I agree with both statements, but I also have heard that discussions occured prior to the season starting, actually as recently as two weeks ago, and ended with the Coyotes willing to wait and get more as the season progressed... and the Rangers wanting to see how the defense held up.
I've stood up for the guy before (he's good with calling UFA signings) but he's being a total d***** here.

What he is really saying is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
I agree with both statements, but I'm going to contradict myself in the very next sentence!
He agrees, yet he has heard talks. I could understand that. I'd read that as "exploratory discussions" however he fails to address how his agreement with John Del is congruent with his rumor claims. He should have stuck to his guns and said "that's just what I'm hearing. It makes no sense to me but I'm sure they have some sort of crazy plan to work out the cap issues. Apparently someone is interested in either acquiring him (sather) or dumping him (maloney)." Instead he just looks

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:52 PM
xander

Pretty much it comes down to this: If you want Jovo you're sending Montoya the other way with one of Mara or Malik. Then you're going to have to waive whichever of those two defensemen that you don't send the other way. Then you're still going to have to clear another million somewhere. After all that's done you're going to being replacing Malik with Jovo on the top pairing and Mara with either Struds or Pock. Does anybody really see that as an upgrade? What you gain on the top pairing you lose on the bottom.

And, after watching Renney over the last two years, I really don't think he trusts either Pock or Strudwick as an every day defensemen. Strudwick has already been benched after saterday night, and Pock has been dicked around from the start. Just can't see it happening.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
You dont have to have a career best 100pts/yr to be a premium player.
Agree100%
Quote:
He is the best player in the NHl at clutch and come playoffs every team would love have to have this guy...even Anaheim or Ottawa etc...

The time will show. I follow Drury from his days in Denver. Boarder line to me at best... Great guy, no question.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Chief

Quote:
He is the best player in the NHl at clutch and come playoffs every team would love have to have this guy...even Anaheim or Ottawa etc...

I really like Drury as a player but all the "clutch" talk is overdone. Here's the stat that matters regarding clutch: the number of NHL rings you have. Drury has one ring. That's nothing to sneeze at but the way people talk about Drury you'd think he was the new Messier.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I really like Drury as a player but all the "clutch" talk is overdone. Here's the stat that matters regarding clutch: the number of NHL rings you have. Drury has one ring. That's nothing to sneeze at but the way people talk about Drury you'd think he was the new Messier.
GWG in the postseason.

He's had quite a few.

Although I will agree with you that the clutch talk is a bit overdone, he does have a case as to being one of the best clutch players in the NHL as of right now.