HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Alfredsson vs. Iginla.

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have on your team RIGHT NOW.
Daniel Alfredsson 123 49.40%
Jarome Iginla 126 50.60%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-10-2007, 04:14 PM
sensfan83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr View Post
loooooooooooooooooooool. I give up. East Canada truly is the center of the hockey universe. Wow. Are you that brainwashed?

Iginla is basically unanimously a top 10-15 player in the league, goalies included. Alfredsson being better was one thing (though I'd like to see Iggy's pts with Spezza and Heatley)....where in the hell do you get off saying Koivu and Sundin are better?

And I'd like to see alfie's numbers with Spezza and Heatley... I am pretty sure that if he ever gets the chance to play a full season with them (hopefully this one), he would probably get over 50 goals and around 110 pts and be top 3 in league scoring. Not to mention his stellar defensive play, chippy/physical play and penalty killing ability. I've seen enough of Iginla to easily pick Alfredsson over him (even if he wasnt nearly 3mil cheaper than Iginla).

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
You're taking an Alfredsson advantage away by saying ignore salaries.
PS, as far as this poll goes, we ARE ignoring salaries.

The fact remains. Poll every Flames fan and every Sens fan on if they would do that trade.

I'm not saying A LOT of Sens fans wouldn't do the trade, I am saying A LOT MORE Flames fans wouldn't do the trade.

Nas_Bert_Morr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:16 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Iginla, because we all know Sedin-Sedin-Iginla is sexier than Sedin-Sedin-Alfredsson

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:16 PM
SP

Quote:
What about leadership
Don't be foolish. Prove Iginla is a better leader. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I intentionally didn't mention leadership because it's impossible to effectively argue one way or the other.

But you go ahead there, sweetie.

Quote:
...oh, and a little thing called scoring.

Yes, Alfie is hot right now. But if you tell me he's a better goal scorer than Iginla, I'm going to throw up in my mouth right here right now.
When Alfie's at his best, goal scoring is definitely comparable. And Alfie is the better playmaker.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:18 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
PS, as far as this poll goes, we ARE ignoring salaries.
how are we ignoring salaries? It says "who would you rather have on your team RIGHT NOW?" I would think that salary would factor into a decision about who you'd want on your team RIGHT NOW. If anything we should be ignoring age.. which gives alfie an even greater advantage.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo17 View Post
Crosby hasn't proved he can put a team on his back in the playoffs.
He didn't quite put the Pens on his back, but, he did pretty much everything a single player can do. I watched every second of that series, and, I was heavily impressed with Crosby. It took everything that Ottawa had to stop him, with everything else on the Pens becoming secondary. It took the top line being matched up against him, strength on strength, to keep him out of the zone as much as possible, and Phillips and Volchenkov literally draping themselves all over him the moment he entered the Ottawa zone.

Both Alfie and Iginla only took their team far when they had good to great goaltending, and strong team defence. When they've lacked either of those elements, both players have had trouble getting their team out of the first round, regardless of how well they play.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
The Real

Iginla in a land slide and I get the pleasure of seeing Alfie 8 times a year. Alfie is a good player and definitely has gotten better over the past two seasons I just think Iginla's total game is far beyond that of what Alfie's is. I've seen Daniel be soft on a number of occasions and can seldom remember a time where I was worried about what he was going to do. He's part of a big puzzle in Ottawa that has many many talented players.

Iginla adversly plays every game with an edge. He'll score, pass, play defense and drop the gloves to protect his teammates. To me he is the ideal captain in hockey. There may not be another player in the league who offers so much. The numbers battle isn't really the seller here to me because of that.

Danny Alfreddson is a tremendous player and any team in the NHL would be better off having him, but he's not even Ottawa's franchise player. Either of Heater or Spezza are, IMO. If you took Iginla from Calgary, what's left?

Iginla.

The Real

Soft example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpr8moQBPs

Edit: Here is the retribution to my soft example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joth4Q55YEI

Thanks Ottawa!

Last edited by The Real: 10-10-2007 at 04:30 PM.
The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:26 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
Iginla in a land slide and I get the pleasure of seeing Alfie 8 times a year. Alfie is a good player and definitely has gotten better over the past two seasons I just think Iginla's total game is far beyond that of what Alfie's is. I've seen Daniel be soft on a number of occasions and can seldom remember a time where I was worried about what he was going to do. He's part of a big puzzle in Ottawa that has many many talented players.

Iginla adversly plays every game with an edge. He'll score, pass, play defense and drop the gloves to protect his teammates. To me he is the ideal captain in hockey. There may not be another player in the league who offers so much. The numbers battle isn't really the seller here to me because of that.

Danny Alfreddson is a tremendous player and any team in the NHL would be better off having him, but he's not even Ottawa's franchise player. Either of Heater or Spezza are, IMO. If you took Iginla from Calgary, what's left?

Iginla.

The Real
In a landslide?

Someone's bitter.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:27 PM
BigEyedPhish

Alfredsson IS our franchise player.
He is the face of the Senators.
He is the ONLY senator to play in EVERY Ottawa Senators playoff game in history.
Any player who is a career captian for one team, is that teams franchise player.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
SP

Quote:

I'm not saying A LOT of Sens fans wouldn't do the trade, I am saying A LOT MORE Flames fans wouldn't do the trade.
1. Yes, salary does come into play. We can't afford Iginla.

2. Alfredsson is about as untouchable as it gets. Trading him would rip the heart and soul out of this team. It would be like the Avalanche trading Sakic.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
discostu

Quote:
If you took Iginla from Calgary, what's left?
Kipprusof? Phaneuf?

This notion that it's Iginla on his own in Calgary is absurd. He certainly carries a heavy offensive load, but, the year that Calgary went to the finals, Kipprusof had a fantastic performance. Calgary's group of defenceman started getting recognition as the best blueline in the league. He's now been given a pretty impressive group of forwards to support him offensively. Certainly Tanguay, Langkow, Huselius etc. aren't the nobodies you're trying to make them out to be.

Both teams have had their strengths over the years. If Alfie ever had the goaltending in the playoffs of Kipprusoff, his playoff record would be much different. If Iginla ever had the support cast of forwards as Ottawa, his would change as well.

While we appreciate you telling us how Alfie is not our franchise player, nearly everyone in Ottawa would disagree. Management and the players all point to Alfie when they discuss who the franchise player is. But, you see him 8 times a year. You certainly must be on top of things though.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:

When Alfie's at his best, goal scoring is definitely comparable. And Alfie is the better playmaker.
When Iginla's at his best, playmaking is definitely comparable. And Iginla is the better goal scorer. Alfredsson had 58 assists in 77 games. Iginla had 55 assists in 70 games. Hmmm.

As for the guy who said Alfredsson is the face of the franchise and the best player on the team...Iginla isn't to the Flames?? I'm confused.

How quickly people forget that a guy still in his prime has won a Pearson, a Hart and two Richards.

How quickly people worship a guy who has 5 goals in 4 games played. 29 goals in 77 games last year vs. 39 goals in 70 games.

Last edited by Nas_Bert_Morr*: 10-10-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: better goalscorer, not playmaker
Old
10-10-2007, 04:37 PM
SP

Quote:
As for the guy who said Alfredsson is the face of the franchise and the best player on the team...Iginla isn't to the Flames?? I'm confused.
Darling, a little attention and reading would clear up any confusion.

Quote:
Danny Alfreddson is a tremendous player and any team in the NHL would be better off having him, but he's not even Ottawa's franchise player.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
1. Yes, salary does come into play. We can't afford Iginla.

2. Alfredsson is about as untouchable as it gets. Trading him would rip the heart and soul out of this team. It would be like the Avalanche trading Sakic.
...or Calgary trading Iginla. We could go round and round with this, fact remains basically any point you make for Alfredsson, you could substitute Iginla's name in his place.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:40 PM
SP

Quote:
...or Calgary trading Iginla. We could go round and round with this, fact remains basically any point you make for Alfredsson, you could substitute Iginla's name in his place.
You're the one that was trying to argue that Ottawa would trade Alfredsson, not me.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
Alfredsson IS our franchise player.
He is the face of the Senators.
He is the ONLY senator to play in EVERY Ottawa Senators playoff game in history.
Any player who is a career captian for one team, is that teams franchise player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin
Darling, a little attention and reading would clear up any confusion.
Yes, reading would clear up confusion, (you've used up all the weird pet names, so I'll just call you) homer.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
You're the one that was trying to argue that Ottawa would trade Alfredsson, not me.
Not once did I say that. I said if the situation came up where Iginla and Alfredsson WERE to be dealt for one another, neither team would be happy, but Ottawa would be happIER. Get it?

Old
discostu

Quote:
How quickly people worship a guy who has 5 goals in 4 games played. 29 goals in 77 games last year vs. 39 goals in 70 games.
If you think that it's the first 4 games that has won the hearts of Ottawa fans, you probably haven't paid much attention to Alfie's career.

You're the one that brought up the notion that Ottawa would trade it's heart and soul franchise player, for a similar player on another team. No team is every going to trade a player like that unless there is a clear upgrade.

No one is forgetting what Iginla has done. Everyone recognizes that Iginla is a top player. I think the biggest complaint that is made about Iginla's game though, is that he is inconsistant. You can point to a one year sample, and outline that Iginla had a minor advantage in assists per game, or whatever stat you wish, but, the fact is, taking one year of Iginla's stats is always misleading. He alternates between good and bad years. That's the biggest knock on his play.

The two players are comparable. People may have slight preferences one way or the other, but, unless you're talking about your fantasy pool, the notion that one team would madly rush to sign a deal that sees them swap franchise forwards is ludicrous.

Old
SP

Quote:
Yes, reading would clear up confusion, (you've used up all the weird pet names, so I'll just call you) homer.
What are you talking about? Now you're just being irrational, cupcake.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
discostu

Quote:
Not once did I say that. I said if the situation came up where Iginla and Alfredsson WERE to be dealt for one another, neither team would be happy, but Ottawa would be happIER. Get it?
That's assinine.

Ottawa wouldn't do it, but if they did do it, they would be happier?

Maybe you can argue that they'd be "less miserable", but even that is a stretch, and such a poor guage on a trade, saying that you'd be less miserable about it, therefore, you're the winner of the deal.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
That's assinine.

Ottawa wouldn't do it, but if they did do it, they would be happier?

Maybe you can argue that they'd be "less miserable", but even that is a stretch, and such a poor guage on a trade, saying that you'd be less miserable about it, therefore, you're the winner of the deal.
Nobody would win the deal. I can't understand why this point is so hard to get across. IF BOTH TEAMS WERE SOMEHOW FORCED TO THE DEAL, NEITHER WOULD WANT TO, BUT OTTAWA WOULD HAVE AN EASIER TIME DEALING WITH IT THAN CALGARY. Make sense YET???

Let me word it differently: Who do you think the other 28 GM's would take? Iginla, and twice on Sunday.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:49 PM
SP

Quote:
You're digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole, buttercup.

Quote:
The fact remains. Poll every Flames fan and every Sens fan on if they would do that trade.

See? Not which fans would be happier if the deal happened. But whether or not they would do the trade if they had the option.

Old
10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Thankfully, Calgary can keep Iginla and we can keep Alfredsson.

Given the salaries, it's a no-brainer in my mind who I'd rather have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
Let me word it differently: Who do you think the other 28 GM's would take? Iginla, and twice on Sunday.
I'm surprised there are 28 GMs with the cap space for Iginla's contract.

Probably a lot more have space for Alfie's contract.

I love this hypothetical fantasy land we live in where contracts don't matter.

In reality, it's an easy decision.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
HellsBells

Wow. Someone actually said they'd rather Sundin or Koivu over Iginla in a Game 7.

I suggest that person stop watching so much TSN. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm all for everyone having their own opinion but sometimes you just have to laugh right in their face when they say something so stupid.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:51 PM
SP

Quote:
Nobody would win the deal. I can't understand why this point is so hard to get across. Let me word it differently: Who do you think the other 28 GM's would take? Iginla, and twice on Sunday.
Comparable players, but one makes over $2.6 million less? I think it would be closer than you think, my dear.