HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez or Elias

Old
10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Devs4L

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
...and you Devils giving Elias that contract was a huge mistake in most eyes as well.

We know you hate the Rangers. We get it. But why don't you try and be objective?
That's true...we def. should be more like some of the rangers fans on this forum who think Elias is a cocky ******* who doesn't know the meaning of the word "defense", and is half the player Gomez is.........objective.

Devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by devs4L View Post
That's true...we def. should be more like some of the rangers fans on this forum who think Elias is a cocky ******* who doesn't know the meaning of the word "defense", and is half the player Gomez is.........objective.
Hey, I never said that.

I personally feel that Elias is the better OVERALL player. Just that Gomez's ceiling for offense is above Elias's at this point.

And you have to admit that the contract he received was bad and he, so far, hasn't earned much of it.

If you can't admit that then...

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Jaggz68

Oh, Hell No

Jaggz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Elias has been a pruducer since he arrived in this league. Gomez hasn't. Gomez' career has been a roller coaster, and the Rangers go out and give him that contract after scoring 13 (!) goals last year.

Elias had a serious disease, came back and saved our club almost singlehandedly from falling out of a playoff spot in 05-06. When he came back the whole organization took off under his wings. He showed leadership and responsibility. Elias wore an A for years before he became the captain, Gomez was never close to an A, despite being one of the longer tenured Devils.

Elias is far and away the better player defensively, Gomez has no clue in the defensive zone. Just because he played for the Devils doesn't mean he'll be a candidate for the Selke. Gomez was a defensive liability during his team in New Jersey. He was only counted on to make offensive plays, and he wasn't very good at that either. Elias has been playing on the PK for years in New Jersey, Gomez never spent a second on the PK, not even during pre-season. Gomez was $5 million good, but not $10 million good. I still can't believe that he got that much money. The Devils were never interested in getting him back, with Elias it was a different story. Lou and the management value Elias much more, and I trust that judgement more than any other. Elias is much better and more important than Gomez.

When it comes to playoff scoring, Gomez never scored an important goal or created a significant play in the playoffs. Last year he had a good run, but that's it.

Elias on the other hand has been one of the best playoff performers in the league the last 7-8 years. He has stepped up in big games. Gomez hasn't.

Elias is also a physical player who loves to hit and can take a hit to make a play. Gomez has never delivered a hit in his career. When it gets physical, you'll notice how Gomez disappears from games.

When discussing these two, it becomes evident that it's not even close. Elias is the complete package. Gomez is not. I'm sorry, but dishing out that money to Gomez was a huge mistake. You'll see.
I haven't stopped laughing at this post yet... oh man... and let me guess, Rafalski is a worthless player and you're better off without him.'

The more I read this kind of drivel, the more I think that to be a Devil fan, you have to join a cult, and all outsiders are unneeded.

Heil Sutter!

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
As a reply to my previous post:

Some people honor players that brought their franchise success... some people can get over the fact that a player plays in another jersey...

Then there are Devil fans.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Devilswede

Elias at $6 million per year is not that bad IMO. He's a player that has produced throughout his career and this was a deal given to him after he came in and just carried the organization on his back after he came from his illness. He was leading the playoffs in scoring by a mile during the playoffs before the Devils were eliminated by Carolina.

Of course Elias was deserving of a contract at $6 million per year. Heck, I thought it was a steal! He did disappoint last year, but he still led the team in scoring. I know he'll be back.

Gomez on the other hand received that kinda money after scoring 13 goals only. I wonder what kinda money he would've received if he had scored 30?!

Gomez has been like that for the entire career, up and down and very poor in his own end. the guy played for the Devils over eight years, but I didn't mention him once in my top 5 favourite list. Never!

After seeing him get that kind of money I'm happy he left. Had Elias left, no matter how the contract would've looked, I would've been devastated. Elias has heart, Gomez doesn't.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Gomez has never been VERY poor in his own end. He's not the best, but he's not awful, either. He's at least serviceable. Just to clarify this so it's not taken wrong: Gomez isn't the worst in his own end as you are trying to get people to believe. But he's nowhere near the best, either.

Gomez doesn't have heart? That's a pretty stupid thing to say. If he didn't have heart, he wouldn't have been your best skater in the playoffs last year.

Elias has a full NTC, he's older than Gomez, etc. And you think his contract, which is only about 1M less than what Gomez's cap # is, is some steal while Gomez isn't worth his?

Again, I implore you to try and lose your bias here because it's getting ridiculous.

Old
10-09-2007, 05:49 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post

Gomez on the other hand received that kinda money after scoring 13 goals only. I wonder what kinda money he would've received if he had scored 30?!
I didn't know only players who score goals got money. I mean he only got 13 points?. Come on he got the contract because he has had 60+ points a year in all but once in his career. The reason he got the contract is because he hit 80 points that year.

sandman441 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
All things being equal, I think Elias is the more complete player. But he's also 4 years older than Gomez, so pretty soon I think you'll see the disparity start to diminish.

Elias is also signed at 7.5 per year through 2012-13, so pretty soon he's gonna be even more overpaid than the Devils fans claim that Gomez is now.
6millions per year counted vs the cap.
Where as Gomez is like 7millions counted vs the cap.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
The Thomas J.*

I would prefer to have the player thats WANTS to play here, that would be Gomez.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Gomez has never been VERY poor in his own end. He's not the best, but he's not awful, either. He's at least serviceable. Just to clarify this so it's not taken wrong: Gomez isn't the worst in his own end as you are trying to get people to believe. But he's nowhere near the best, either.

Gomez doesn't have heart? That's a pretty stupid thing to say. If he didn't have heart, he wouldn't have been your best skater in the playoffs last year.

Elias has a full NTC, he's older than Gomez, etc. And you think his contract, which is only about 1M less than what Gomez's cap # is, is some steal while Gomez isn't worth his?

Again, I implore you to try and lose your bias here because it's getting ridiculous.
I'd take Elias vs Gomez for now, because Elias is the more complete player, and has been more consistent in his career, where as Gomez is inconsistent.

IMO, Gomez is a good playmaker, good skater, good carrier through both zones. But, he isn't that good defensvely, and isn't the best player in his own end zone. He's okay. He doesn't hit that much also. When Elias is playing his ass-off, he can hit, scores, and he's good in his own zone.

Both guys are 1st-line Forwards material, as for now, I'd take Elias over Gomez. But, in the longterm, we might see.

Also, Gomez was playing his ass-off for a contract. Remember that Jo.

On the previous posts, yes Gomez going to the Rangers is hurting. Its like seeing your Number one center who has been playing with your favourite team and then suddenly, he's going to your Cross-river rivals team. Reason why its kind of hurts the Devils fans? Well, he's going to help the Rangers to get near the Stanley Cup, where as Gomez has been able to win 2cups, and participate in 3.

Saying that Gomez has been a demeanor to the Devils is pretty stupid. Lets face the facts, Gomez has been a good Hockey player, (Not the best one) and he's now with the Rangers.

At first, it was hard, then, I took it.

Dear Devils fans, just get over it. He's now gone! Who cares if he's now with the Rangers?

Ditto, a Québécois fan.

Last edited by Alcoolique*: 10-09-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Devilswede

Yeah, he got $5 million, which should be the max for a player of Gomez' caliber.

Yes, I do think that Elias is the much better player of the two and more deserving of a big deal than Gomez.

How Gomez is making Joe Thornton type of money is hilarious to me!

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Devilswede -- If you can't lose your bias, you're going to continue making yourself look silly with these posts. You are bashing Gomez's contract yet you are saying how great Elias's contract is.

That's just silly.

Both players are overpaid. But such is the way Free Agency works.

Old
10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac View Post
I'd take Elias vs Gomez for now, because Elias is the more complete player, and has been more consistent in his career, where as Gomez is inconsistent.

IMO, Gomez is a good playmaker, good skater, good carrier through both zones. But, he isn't that good defensvely, and isn't the best player in his own end zone. He's okay. He doesn't hit that much also. When Elias is playing his ass-off, he can hit, scores, and he's good in his own zone.

Both guys are 1st-line Forwards material, as for now, I'd take Elias over Gomez. But, in the longterm, we might see.

Also, Gomez was playing his ass-off for a contract. Remember that Jo.
the only edge Elias has over Gomez is that he scores more goals, defensively they are the same.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

Also, Gomez was playing his ass-off for a contract.
Remember that Jo.
Uh, so Elias gets a free ride for his job of stepping up in his UFA year?

Elias posted 45 points in 38 games and had been very inconsistent in his three previous NHL seasons (81 points in 04 and 57 in 03 -- with 96 in 01).

But oh!!! somehow it's only Gomez who steps it up for a big contract.

Come on, man. Elias did the same thing. And he sucked it up most of the year last year and so far is doing it in his first 3 games this year.

Remember that Za.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
the only edge Elias has over Gomez is that he scores more goals, defensively they are the same.
Elias is a step above Gomez defensively. To say otherwise would be flat out wrong.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
sandman441

Quote:

Elias posted 45 points in 38 games and had been very inconsistent in his three previous NHL seasons (81 points in 04 and 57 in 03 -- with 96 in 01).

Come on, man. Elias did the same thing. And he sucked it up most of the year last year and so far is doing it in his first 3 games this year.

This is the kind of stuff that made me leave the devil boards last year. All the time Gomez did wrong yet Elias or Gionta were blameless.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441 View Post
This is the kind of stuff that made me leave the devil boards last year. All the time Gomez did wrong yet Elias or Gionta were blameless.
the boards have gotten ridiculous lately, alot of new comers that think quantity over quality when it comes to posting.

But I am here to support Gomez.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:

Remember that Za.

57,72,96,61,57,81,45(in 38),69

And beeing the leader in points of your team 5times of the last 8seasons, how isn't that consistent?

Yeah, last year he sucked, he wasn't the Elias of 05-06, so , this year , we're looking what Elias can do. Therefore, you should remember that even if Elias was struggling he still scored 21goals-48ass to 69points in 75games and beeing the Leader in points for your team, and also, playing under such a Passive slopness team, that was controlled under Coach Julian.

Gionta went down in injuries, Elias went down with injuries, Gomez went down with injuries.

Gionta,Elias and Gomez , three of whom struggled.Simple.

Now we're looking for a bound season for tha Devils.

Yeah he sure played for a new contract.You owned me, I'm done

Old
10-09-2007, 06:11 PM
sandman441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
the boards have gotten ridiculous lately, alot of new comers that think quantity over quality when it comes to posting.

But I am here to support Gomez.

Yeah they have a little bit.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Humm, Elias>Gomez defensively.

So..That's meaning for the moment, that Elias>Gomez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Elias has a piss-poor attitude, and is a slouch defensively. I remember an interview that Trautwig had with him when he first came back from the Hep in 06, and one of his first games was against the Rangers, who were up 2-0 after the first period of play, and Elias refused to give the Rangers any credit for playing well. He's an arrogant and pompous piece of **** who really isn't that damn good.

Just wait until Renney smartens up and puts Gomez with Straka and Jagr, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'd take Gomez any day of the week over Elias.
Do I have to even waste my time to respond such .... Ah laisse dont faire.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

57,72,96,61,57,81,45(in 38),69

And beeing the leader in points of your team 5times of the last 8seasons, how isn't that consistent?

Yeah, last year he sucked, he wasn't the Elias of 05-06, so , this year , we're looking what Elias can do. Therefore, you should remember that even if Elias was struggling he still scored 21goals-48ass to 69points in 75games and beeing the Leader in points for your team, and also, playing under such a Passive slopness team, that was controlled under Coach Julian.
You and others give this excuse for Elias regularly.

Yet whenever a Rangers fan mentions it with Gomez, it's shot down and he's bashed.

I'm not saying YOU'RE being hypocritical, but I would hope you don't give that excuse solely to Elias...

Old
10-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
You and others give this excuse for Elias regularly.

Yet whenever a Rangers fan mentions it with Gomez, it's shot down and he's bashed.

I'm not saying YOU'RE being hypocritical, but I would hope you don't give that excuse solely to Elias...
Gionta went down in injuries, Elias went down with injuries, Gomez went down with injuries.

Gionta,Elias and Gomez , three of them struggled.Simple

There, three of them struggled.

Simple.

I said that earlier incase you didn't see it.

Old
10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441 View Post
Yeah they have a little bit.
Hey SANDMAN!

Its TZ from NJDEVS.com(travis Zajac)

How's going?

Old
10-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Devs4L

Quote:
Devilswede -- If you can't lose your bias, you're going to continue making yourself look silly with these posts. You are bashing Gomez's contract yet you are saying how great Elias's contract is.

That's just silly.

Both players are overpaid. But such is the way Free Agency works.
And comparing a contract with a...
-6mil dollar cap hit
-a 7.5 mil. max salary given to a player that more often than not lead his team offensively.
-had years of more points than games played
-a career +148
-several years of 20+ goals

.....to a contract which....

-has a 1mil+ dollar greater cap hit
-a max salary of 10mil dollars given to a player with only one season of 20+ goals
-a career +59
-a career high in points which doesn't match Elias's career high

...would be considered what?

When two things are only similar in principle but not fact, you can talk about one without talking about the other.

Devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote