HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Instituting the Marc Chouinard Award

Old
10-09-2007, 11:02 AM
TheGreatone94

vCash: 500
Aucoin anyone? I'll admit, it was hard to predict that he would fall off this bad after the productive years on the Island. However, Chicago did sign him to that ridiculous contract and did hand the "C" to him. Atleast they found a team that was stupid enough to take him though!

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Ed Jovanovski? Nikolai Khabibulin? Miroslav Satan? Dustin Penner?
Chouinard got benched in Manitoba last season. Those guys might not have been worth the money they're getting paid, but at least they're contributing in this league.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Khaibibulin isn't the problem in Chicago. He's probably one of the most underrated goalies in the league. The amount of times he was hung out to dry in the last two years is damn near laughable. There's a reason he's put up mediocre stats and almost every Hawk fan is happy with his play.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Sammy*

Friesen, Amonte frokm year previous.
Friesen even had the gall to complain about his ice time.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Fixed it for you. Only a Flames fan would try to suggest that Penner was a bad UFA signing. For one he was a RFA, and two it's 3 games into the season and he has more goals than Iginla(yes I know it's only 3 games in. I'm just trying to point out how stupid your statement is)
Khabibulin played pretty well in the 04 SCF
I find it rather ironic that you would use an argument you know to be stupid to accuse another argument of being stupid.

If you could also point out where the OP specified that it had to be an unrestricted free agent, that would help. Penner does qualify for the purpose of this discussion.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
That's just the point. It was a bad signing because if he isn't a difference maker, he shouldn't get that type of deal. He is far and away the most overpaid netminder in the NHL. Other goalies have had far better Save%'s on team's just as bad as the Hawks.
I disagree 100% on Bulin being the most overpaid.

How about Theodore making $6+M and will be lucky to hold down the back-up up spot in COL.

How about Cloutier making $3.5m and playing in the AHL.

Bottom line for me is that after his first 20 or so games, Bulin did as much as could be asked of a goalie in Chicago, and is a core member of the current team. Is he overpaid - yes. Is he a total POS that is a distraction in the minors? No

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
If this award isn't named the Sergei Samsonov Award, then it doesn't exist.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Well, Atlanta got Chouinarded this offseason.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
Penner does qualify for the purpose of this discussion.
Please tell me how after 3 games into the season Dustin Penner qualifies for the worst FA signing? Its as idiotic as saying that resigning Iginla to a 7+ million extension qualifies when he doesnt even have a goal yet.

10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Darius Kasparaitis anyone?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll see your Chouinard and raise you a Samsonov.

10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
I'll see your Chouinard and raise you a Samsonov.
How about Samsonard?

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
lupultheukie

Quote:
I find it rather ironic that you would use an argument you know to be stupid to accuse another argument of being stupid.

If you could also point out where the OP specified that it had to be an unrestricted free agent, that would help. Penner does qualify for the purpose of this discussion.
If anything, it's stupid because he hasn't had time to bust yet. Give him a year.

lupultheukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Penner does qualify for the purpose of this discussion.
Give me a break. Have you seen any Oilers games this season? Penner has been good.

3GP, 1G, 1A, +1, 6 shots

That doesn't show all the space he's been providing for Hemsky and Horcoff. I think he should have two goals, as it looked like Staios' shot went off Penner's leg, but he wasn't credited.

Not $4.25M worthy (though it's only been three games), but far from being the worst FA signing.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
How about Samsonard?
winner!

both of them were horrific signings, well beyond the usual "well, that guy crapped out on us" level.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

I think you're putting the cart before the horse, as they say. The other examples (Samsonov et al.) at least played an entire season of their contract before being judged.

yeesh.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
massivegoonery

Samsonov dosen't count for the Hawks, as that was a trade (basically a dump for both teams). Aucoin dosen't count for Calgary, also a trade. The Hawks have two horses in this race: Lang ($8mm over 2 years) and Sopel (~$1.5 / 1 yr)..

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I disagree 100% on Bulin being the most overpaid.

How about Theodore making $6+M and will be lucky to hold down the back-up up spot in COL.

How about Cloutier making $3.5m and playing in the AHL.
Toche.

Cloutier isn't in the NHL, so Khabi is the 2nd most overpaid in the NHL after Theo. But strangely enough, Theo has been bad, but his stats over the last two years not that much worse than Khabi's.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
SlowShot

We now have three choices Cloutier, Chouinard, and Samsonov that seem the most logical. The sammys has the best name therfore i vote sammy.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Mr Sakich

bertuzzi makes up for his horrible stats by being a pleasure in the dressing room. The other day, he cheered up the boys by whipping up a batch of chocolate muffins and brought them to the Anaheim practice.

When Brian Burke has to suddenly leave town to broker the mid-east peace discussions, Bertuzzi took full ownership of making sure brian's dog got walked.

When Chris Pronger was suffering from a bout of low self-esteem, it was the Toddster who hugged him until he smiled. Gave him a stuffed Giraffe as well.

I don't want to see anyone bringing up his name.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
SlowShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
bertuzzi makes up for his horrible stats by being a pleasure in the dressing room. The other day, he cheered up the boys by whipping up a batch of chocolate muffins and brought them to the Anaheim practice.

When Brian Burke has to suddenly leave town to broker the mid-east peace discussions, Bertuzzi took full ownership of making sure brian's dog got walked.

When Chris Pronger was suffering from a bout of low self-esteem, it was the Toddster who hugged him until he smiled. Gave him a stuffed Giraffe as well.

I don't want to see anyone bringing up his name.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Please tell me how after 3 games into the season Dustin Penner qualifies for the worst FA signing? Its as idiotic as saying that resigning Iginla to a 7+ million extension qualifies when he doesnt even have a goal yet.
1. Iginla was not a free agent, so he doesn't fit the scope layed out by the OP.

2. I didn't say that Penner was the worst, simply that his situation fits the criteria.

Though if you want to go beyond the simple numbers, and look at the politics of the signing, the Penner signing was pretty terrible. That is, however, a topic already under discussion on the main forum.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

2. I didn't say that Penner was the worst, simply that his situation fits the criteria.
Politics? So what Lowe p*****d off Burke?
Sorry, please provide a link to where he was a healthy scratch, negative dressing room presence,on waivers, or demoted to the minors.(or some stats to show he isnt producing 3 whole games in)
I cant see any of the OP's criteria for being the worst FA signing. Or it could be that your just another Flames fan looking to bash the Oilers(since it's only 2 Flames fans trying to nominate him for the Chointarded Award). Next year Phaneuf will be nominated because a team will sign him to a hefty RFA offer sheet

Last edited by Homesick: 10-09-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
no? 6.75 million for a goaltender to put up the amazing record of 43-53-11 since being signed... or his fabulous stats of 3.06gaa and 0.895sv%... Khabibulin has been a horrible signing thus far for Chicago... his signing has hurt more than Chouinard did Vancouver... the OP stated salary is something to be considered... and at nearly 7 million Khabibulin has a serious case for being the worst free agent signing since the lockout
Let me put it to you this way. For Khabibulin to be on Chuinard's level he would have to have a GAA of 24.00 in 1 game and a .0000001 sv%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
We now have three choices Cloutier, Chouinard, and Samsonov that seem the most logical. The sammys has the best name therfore i vote sammy.
I say hold off on Samsonov until midseason. I have a feeling part of his stats were the environment he was in last season.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Politics? So what Lowe p*****d off Burke?
Sorry, please provide a link to where he was a healthy scratch, negative dressing room presence,on waivers, or demoted to the minors.(or some stats to show he isnt producing 3 whole games in)
I cant see any of the OP's criteria for being the worst FA signing. Or it could be that your just another Flames fan looking to bash the Oilers(since it's only 2 Flames fans trying to nominate him for the Chointarded Award). Next year Phaneuf will be nominated because a team will sign him to a hefty RFA offer sheet
salary is a part of the criteria

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote