HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Koci

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2004, 03:14 AM
  #1
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 500
Koci

Has anyone seen this guy play? What are your thoughts on him and how tough actually, is he?
This is a question for non Penguins fans who have seen him against your AHL teams.

stardog is offline  
Old
01-11-2004, 10:02 PM
  #2
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
Has anyone seen this guy play? What are your thoughts on him and how tough actually, is he?
This is a question for non Penguins fans who have seen him against your AHL teams.
ANYONE??? Noone seen him play?

stardog is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 10:28 AM
  #3
Pens Fan
Registered User
 
Pens Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Country: United States
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Pens Fan
This is from a pens fan but since you have not got a response i will give you my opinion. I dont think that he will ever crack the Pens lineup. They do not give chances to younger players. They would rather give Boileau, Melichar, Roszival, Bergevin, and even McKenna and other Bums a shot before playing guys like Lupaschuk, Koci, Buckley or any of the WBS players. He is pretty far down the prospect list behind Welch, Whitney, Nemec and others so unless he gets dealt he wont make it IMO. Besides that i like his size and thought he has played ok when i seen him. But at 27 (i think) his time might be well over and will only be a AHL career player.

Pens Fan is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 10:35 AM
  #4
Jeff Goldblum
Registered User
 
Jeff Goldblum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,910
vCash: 500
Buckley is older than Melichar and Rozsival I believe. And Koci is about as old as Lupaschak, not 27.

Jeff Goldblum is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 10:44 AM
  #5
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
This is from a pens fan but since you have not got a response i will give you my opinion. I dont think that he will ever crack the Pens lineup. They do not give chances to younger players. They would rather give Boileau, Melichar, Roszival, Bergevin, and even McKenna and other Bums a shot before playing guys like Lupaschuk, Koci, Buckley or any of the WBS players. He is pretty far down the prospect list behind Welch, Whitney, Nemec and others so unless he gets dealt he wont make it IMO. Besides that i like his size and thought he has played ok when i seen him. But at 27 (i think) his time might be well over and will only be a AHL career player.
He is 23. What aout converting him to a wing? Anything is better than McKenna.

stardog is offline  
Old
01-12-2004, 01:15 PM
  #6
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,986
vCash: 500
The guys have to earn their spots over the veterans. You can't just give out spots to young guys because they are young.

That said, from what I have heard about Koci, I wouldn't be surprised to see him up here before this year is over.

I'm interested to see if anyone has seen him too. stardog, maybe put this in our forum, because I believe Seabass watches Baby Pens games (or goes to them).

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
01-13-2004, 12:14 AM
  #7
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
The guys have to earn their spots over the veterans. You can't just give out spots to young guys because they are young.
That said, from what I have heard about Koci, I wouldn't be surprised to see him up here before this year is over.

I'm interested to see if anyone has seen him too. stardog, maybe put this in our forum, because I believe Seabass watches Baby Pens games (or goes to them).
No one suggested otherwise. Where did that come from? That said.....
How is he susposed to earn this spot over the veterans without being called up? He has to earn his spot over the prospects by out playing them for a chance to be called up, but over the veterans it cant be done unless given the chance. And given the nature in which he would be used he has done that and then some.
And are you implying that he would have to outperform McKenna? That is so wrong on so many different levels.

stardog is offline  
Old
01-13-2004, 12:36 AM
  #8
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
This is from a pens fan but since you have not got a response i will give you my opinion. I dont think that he will ever crack the Pens lineup. They do not give chances to younger players. They would rather give Boileau, Melichar, Roszival, Bergevin, and even McKenna and other Bums a shot before playing guys like Lupaschuk, Koci, Buckley or any of the WBS players. He is pretty far down the prospect list behind Welch, Whitney, Nemec and others so unless he gets dealt he wont make it IMO. Besides that i like his size and thought he has played ok when i seen him. But at 27 (i think) his time might be well over and will only be a AHL career player.
Melichar and Rozsival are both young. Koci is also 22. Your point is lost.

Koci seems to have turned his game around 180 degrees over the summer. That said, he's still not a hugely talented guy. He's going to have to prove that, over several years in the AHL, he can still play a physically punishing game as well as being able to keep things simple, mopping up his own end and dropping the gloves on a regular basis.

If he can do that, I don't see why he can't be a Cairns or Therien type of guy. A solid #6 defenseman that, regardless of depth, will always have a spot on the roster.

I think he's a long-term project and a ways away from competing for a regular spot in the NHL, and his chances won't be getting any easier as guys like Bissonnette, Whitney, Welch, Schneider, etc. start filtering into the system. Take this with a grain of salt, as I've only seen him in camp and preseason.


Last edited by Jacob: 01-13-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Jacob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.