HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Havlat a Bust?

Old
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

vCash: 500
Havlat a Bust?

It's looking that way. Maybe we got too excited about this guy too early. Offensively he's great even though he's never even cracked 70 points, but I'll cut him some slack on that one considering that in Ottawa, he was playing behind too many great players, and was never really allowed to be the Offensive leader.

My main concern is he's too brittle. There's no excuse for him to be already injured after the first game. The doctor's say 3 weeks, so that's like 10+ games. So we're looking at November 1st for the next game. The team forbid him to partake in any off-ice competition. He loves Soccer, and plays Tennis but they would'nt allow him to play for good reason.

I think the Hawks won't die without him this year, but he's getting an awful lot of money just to turn out to be so injury prone. I think Marty needs to spend some time with Joe Sakic for some conditioning advice.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Heske_44

Bust=Not reaching high potential due to not actually being able to excel at the next level.

He isn't fitting of that description...he's too injury prone but does have the skill to be at least a PPG guy...his body just won't let him do it...

He has the bones of a unhealthy 90 year old woman. That's the problem.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Colorado Avalanche

he's not a bust. He will play very well whenever he's going to play. He has been very unlucky. Patience.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
TK79

Elite player who's shoulder is made of glass, but not a bust.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Metallian*

Peter Forsberg was a bust too.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
hockeycoach

Havlat's problem(s) in Ottawa:
1) Afraid to go into the corners... fear of getting hit.
2) Easily hurt... each and every season.
3) Puck hog, and combine that with #1 and the "dump and chase" era in Ottawa under Martin, proved to be his downfall.
4) Brain farts when it came to retaliation or fighting in general... kicking and b!tch slapping, or turtling.
5) Nowhere to be seen in the playoffs

Other than that he was a good player here in Ottawa (I'm glad he's your problem now).

So i'd have to say he was a bust in Ottawa, and a bust in Chicago

hc

hockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 05:26 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Havlat was one of the most exciting players ever to play for Ottawa.

When it comes to the playoffs, he was Ottawa 's best player in the Tampa series his last year, even though he had just come back from a long layoff due to surgery on his shoulder.

He was no more injury ridden than Fisher or even Alfie at one time until
the check into the boards that dislocated his shoulder.

I hope for his sake and that of the Chicago fans that he can play healthy this year , after his return whenever that is.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Phousse

He's not a bust, he's busted.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
fullmetalninja

(1) This has never, ever, been a problem in chicago.
(2) This season he was easily hurt. Last year he tried to avoid a flying knee and got his skate stuck. Fluke.
(3) The guy is one of the 15 best players in the league with the puck. Absolutely dynamic. Why you wouldn't want him to have the puck is ridiculous.
(4) Never saw a single instance of this in chicago. He had players running at him everygame.
(5) Can't comment on that, although he seems to have done all right in his last season with the Sens in the playoffs... (and for that matter for the last 5-6 years the entire sens team has 'disappeared' in the playoffs)

I guess now that Kane "looks like he belongs" the braintrust has to find a new person to whip up on.

We have plenty on the hawks... I'm not sure why its the guys who actually perform that are getting the red-headed stepchild treatment.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Heske_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
We have plenty on the hawks... I'm not sure why its the guys who actually perform that are getting the red-headed stepchild treatment.

-fullmetalninja

Hmm it could possibly be the 12 million that has been spent on him over two years for 58 games if he is shut down for the rest of the year....

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
fullmetalninja

Hmmm could it be that if he is out for the year that opens up 6 mil of salary to bring in additional players?

Will the hawks do it? who knows, but there is no reason they can't/won't/shouldn't.

-fullmetalninja

Old
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
not dominator

Quote:
I guess now that Kane "looks like he belongs" the braintrust has to find a new person to whip up on.

-fullmetalninja
I thought we already picked Rene Bourque?

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
fullmetalninja

There are all kinds of outstanding candidates, we haven't been in the playoffs in what, 6 years?

Havlat got that injury busting his nuts trying to tie up a game. Clearly the surgery on his shoulder this summer did not help, and clearly that sucks for us hawk fans.

But the Animus towards a guy who was over a ppg despite getting checked by 2 and sometimes 3 guys a shift.

-fullmetalninja

Old
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
The doctor's say 3 weeks, so that's like 10+ games. So we're looking at November 1st for the next game.
I thought there was a good chance that he misses the season. Was there an update that I missed?

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
fullmetalninja

They still don't know. They are going to let the swelling go down and take more exams before making a determination.

The minimum is 4 weeks.

Savard claimed (yesterday) that the initial exams didn't show anything [it wasn't like last year he claimed]. Havlat seemed less confident.

One wonders if this was Savard calling him out... I can't say yet, but it could be something to watch in the next couple of weeks.

-fullmetalninja

Old
10-09-2007, 11:49 PM
fogducker

are you kidding me?

He's not a bust.. he's just way too injury prone like Gaborik or Cloutier

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Wrigleyville King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
are you kidding me?

He's not a bust.. he's just way too injury prone like Gaborik or Cloutier
If you are portraying Havlat as NOT a bust, comparing him to Cloutier really isn't helping your cause. . .

Wrigleyville King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
(1) This has never, ever, been a problem in chicago.
(2) This season he was easily hurt. Last year he tried to avoid a flying knee and got his skate stuck. Fluke.
(3) The guy is one of the 15 best players in the league with the puck. Absolutely dynamic. Why you wouldn't want him to have the puck is ridiculous.
(4) Never saw a single instance of this in chicago. He had players running at him everygame.
(5) Can't comment on that, although he seems to have done all right in his last season with the Sens in the playoffs... (and for that matter for the last 5-6 years the entire sens team has 'disappeared' in the playoffs)

-fullmetalninja
well said

seriously, "he's your problem now"....???!!! I'd love to have one of the top 5 dynamic players in the game as my "problem", injury prone or not

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 02:17 AM
jaems

Both Sakic and Alfie had four/five year strings where they had injury prone seasons.

There's nothing that says that Havlat can't break out of it.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

It would'nt hurt so much if we had a few more Draft gems, and better "STAR" free agent pick up's. Barker bugs me so much because(I know I've said this before) but all I can think of is Drew Stafford. That guys' great. I feel like Barker is such a waste of a good pick. Especially with the emergence of Duncan Keith, and even James Wisniewski.

I understand management had to do something quick to excite people last year but for the money Havlat gets, we could have had 2 reliable NHL 30 goal scorers, instead of a flashy enigmatic guy that will never live up to his potential because he does'nt take care of himself.

At the end of this season depending on how many games Havlat plays, and his point total, the Hawks need to really think about what direction they want to take for the following season. Toews, Kane, and Co. need somebody to nurture them along as they go. Their the future, and Brad Richards would be an awesome choice, especially since Tampa Bay can't keep their big three forever. Havlat still has 1 year left on his deal, after this season so thats' gonna be hard to swing I know.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:32 PM
special_loob

any word yet on whether or not he's getting surgery? if not surgery, when's he expected back? this is hurting my pool big time.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
It would'nt hurt so much if we had a few more Draft gems, and better "STAR" free agent pick up's. Barker bugs me so much because(I know I've said this before) but all I can think of is Drew Stafford. That guys' great. I feel like Barker is such a waste of a good pick. Especially with the emergence of Duncan Keith, and even James Wisniewski.

I understand management had to do something quick to excite people last year but for the money Havlat gets, we could have had 2 reliable NHL 30 goal scorers, instead of a flashy enigmatic guy that will never live up to his potential because he does'nt take care of himself.

At the end of this season depending on how many games Havlat plays, and his point total, the Hawks need to really think about what direction they want to take for the following season. Toews, Kane, and Co. need somebody to nurture them along as they go. Their the future, and Brad Richards would be an awesome choice, especially since Tampa Bay can't keep their big three forever. Havlat still has 1 year left on his deal, after this season so thats' gonna be hard to swing I know.
Brad Richards has the most ridiculous contract in all of hockey.. how could you possibly advocate this guy after *****ing about Havlat's money?

Barker's year is next year. He needs to get sent to the reeducation camp to unlearn all of the bad habits he learned when he was pressed into service last year. And, from what I hear, the guy really just needs to grow up. The feeling I get from Barker is that when (if) he breaks, he's gonna break huge and fast.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by special_loob View Post
any word yet on whether or not he's getting surgery? if not surgery, when's he expected back? this is hurting my pool big time.
The news is not good for injured Chicago forward Martin Havlat. According to the Daily Herald, the best case scenario has the flashy skater returning from his shoulder injury in four to six weeks. However, there is also a chance the fragile Havlat could be done for the season. Sitting on the sidelines is nothing new for the Czech veteran. He has missed a combined 90 games to injury over the past two seasons.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...cgi?dailyslate

Mr.Brownov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 01:37 PM
wendelclark17

havlat is a bust, hes a great player......unfortunately hes just a wimp, his conditioning is aweful, and hes made out of glass apparently. Although hes is still very young healthy havlat is worth 6 mil, this havlat that only plays slightly more than half a season is worth 3.5-4mil

wendelclark17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
DirtyCrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
Elite player who's shoulder is made of glass, but not a bust.
He is Mr. Glass.
What really sucks is he is BIG part of the Blackhawks puzzle to build a very good team for years to come yet he is becoming the reason why they will need to wait till next year, over and over. I know it's only , what, the 2nd week of the season but the chance of getting into the post season without him playing 70+ games minimum is slim to none.
(and I say slim because I don't want to say zero)

So is it smart to have a guy like Havlat as a major piece to build a team? I love the guy but would it be a better move to try to move him to continue building the team vs. keeping him and rolling the dice again and again? Any team not building would be smart to take a look because his upside is so big.

Just thinking out loud. Flame away if need be.

DirtyCrease is offline   Reply With Quote