HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Trying on some new gear tomorrow

Old
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
Trying on some new gear tomorrow

Maybe even buying. Specifically new Ice skates and new gloves.

I'm on a limited budget as always, but of course gloves and skates are personal preference mostly as to what fits you best.

With that said I'd like to hear what you all think of, by 3 brands you would try on in each category. I'm assuming that most easton skates fit like other easton skates, most CCMs fit like other CCMs etc....and that as the cost goes up it just means better, lighter, and obviously more expensive materials.

So again I'm looking to try on brands here, and will then choose the model of the brand fit I like that best suits my budget. Though obviously if a more expensive Easton so to say fits better than a mid ranged one for some reason, I'd re consider.

My budget would be under $200 skates preferably but I could go to $300 if there was a skate I simply could not do without. (I play Ice two days a week, so I'm sure this price range can keep up)

Gloves under $100 or under $80 would be nice. I play roller a lot more often than Ice so if I can't get gloves to keep up with all the hockey I play, I'd just use em for ice.

(i say top 3 because I feel like if I try on any more I'll come across as a jerk and will absolutely NEED to buy something to ever be welcome at the store again)

I'll offer what I'm considering now just to see if my mind can be swayed, so top 3: (feel free to offer model names too however)

Skates:
CCM Vector
Nike Bauer
Easton

Gloves:
Eagle
Warrior
CCM Vector

Thanks, again this is just opinion, but I want to see what most people prefer.

In short, the question here is:
If you were going to try on 3 new pairs of gloves, and 3 new pairs of skates...what brand would you target?

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Ducks

I really like the feel of the Bauer supreme gloves personally.

Also, I use CCM Vector 6.0 SE skates right now and while they may not be the lightest skates, they are very durable and at 179.00 US probably a really good choice for under 200.00

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
BigBearnier

CCM Vector 6.o SE Skates are grrrrrrrreat.

http://www.hockeyworld.com/prodHome....atID=21&shop=1

as for gloves, Warrior Pro Stock are amazing. They're a little bit more expensive ($140), but IMO they're absolutely worth it...

http://www.hockeyworld.com/prodHome....atID=55&shop=1

BigBearnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 08:56 AM
stick9

If you can find them and they fit you. The RBK non-pumps from their first year are a great skate for the price. I bought some 8k's last year for $250 and absolutely love them. I've seen the 7k non-pumps for under $200.

You shouldn't have to hard of a time finding gloves for that price. I love my Eagles, but they were a bit expensive....worth every penny though. If I was on a budget I probably would have gone with something out of the Bauer Supreme line.

Now to answer you question.

If I were going to try on three pairs of skates and three pairs of gloves....

For gloves I would go, Eagle, MIA, and Bauer One90's. For skates I would go Vapor XXXX, Vapor XXX, and RBK 9k's.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Depends on your feet and how you want your gloves to feel. You should be able to just wander around and try gloves on your own. I like tighter fitting gloves, so CCM Vectors and TPS R8's are my choice. Bauer Vapors if you want them a little looser, and Eagle/Warrior/MIA if you like them really loose. Bauer 4-Roll's are a good deal if you like loose gloves.

Skates totally depends on how you feet fit. I'd look at the Mission Fuel line, stretch the budget to Vapor XXV's, the Vector 6.0, etc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
If your asking brands:

Skates I like:
Mission
NBH
Easton
I'm a Vapor user, but I really like the Fuels too. Synergys arn't for me, but really intersted in the Stealth.

Gloves:
Mission Fuels
Bauer SDP/4-Rolls
Bauer one90s
Bauer Vapors
There's variety there with the fit, but all those just feel reallly nice on my hands.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I use Easton gloves and skates. For whatever reason they seem to fit me better than other brands so when I get new equipment it's really just an upgrade. Right now I have the Stealth s-15's and Synergy gloves, comfort and fit is great but price is high. I would suggest buying the high end skates of last years models. You can get good deals on good skates that are discounted only because there is a newer model available. If you staggered your equipment buying to fit the timetable of when the new stuff comes out and buying the old stuff you would have top end equipment and low prices. Problem is we all want the latest and greatest.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
lotus

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Just to clarify, the question isn't what fits best because obviously, as many of you stated, it's all personal preference. Though do feel free to say if something fits you particularly well.

But my question is just if you were to try 3 brands based on past experience, reputation, etc, what would they be? You obviously can't try on every glove, so I'm going to try on a few and go from there. In other words, what should I not pass up trying?

(i will consider those TPS gloves however....totally overlooked them)

Old
10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i suggest NikeBauer XXV's.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 12:46 AM
lotus

well I went with warrior gloves. The rest just seemed off, and warrior...well, fit like a glove. Eagle was close but the guy at the shop said if I have problems with wearing down palms, the warriors would be more durable. Since the warriors were less expensive I took his word for it. Plus, they do fit better. So I'm quite happy.

Skate...

I tried on Bauer Vapor XXIIs and some Easton Stealths. I preferred the Vapors ankle support over Eastons. But I didn't buy yet. He wanted $204 for them and I knew that online there were better deals.

If I can get a deal on 25s I'd jump on them but I think it's between XXII's and vector 6.0s which I have not tried on yet, but I hear if I like a stiff boot I should stay away from these. Opinions on Vapor 22 VS Vector 6.0?

Old
10-09-2007, 04:12 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Just a warning, if you buy online and find you need baking work, punching out or anything else done on the skates -- the LHS will ding you hard for them. So unless it's ~$100 difference, it's not really worth it.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Using your LHS as a fitting room...boo

$204 is more than fair considering shipping, baking, and sharpening. Think it's like $180-90 online so it's not that great of a deal.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Ducks

I have the Vector 6.0 SE's and they feel very durable. Maybe not super light but definately durable. You should go try some on for yourself, but if you are looking at skates for around 200 I wouldn't pass on trying them on.

When I was trying on saktes, the CCM's fit my foot way better than the eastons I tried on. And I agree with getting them baked at the shop it helped a lot with breaking them in.

Shop > online

You get a free sharpening and baking from the shop and the prices are the same online and in stores for the most part.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Using your LHS as a fitting room...boo

$204 is more than fair considering shipping, baking, and sharpening. Think it's like $180-90 online so it's not that great of a deal.
haha well i still bought a bunch of stuff so its not like I walked out with nothing =P Plus I think I'm going back today for them.

I'll probably buy the 22s.

Old
10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
keef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Right now I have the Stealth s-15's
These skates are amazing. I just bought a pair a month ago and absolutely love them. I have wide feet, so the Easton fit is good for me. The only complaint I have is that the toe cap coating isn't very durable. I can't imagine what these are going to look like in 6 months. Do you have the same problem with the toe cap material?

To the OP, I think you just have to make the LHS guy work and try everything on. I'm not loyal to brands because they all have different fitting skates. I just don't like Grafs because they're ugly

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:07 PM
spoon*

My LHS is selling NBH XVI skates for 200$...

Wow

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 12:09 AM
windflare

Too bad you don't have much Mission stuff near you. Mission Fuel gloves are amazing, and the Mission Fuel skates aren't shabby at all - I would take them over Bauers, unless it's the XXII and above. NBH Vapor XV gloves are pretty dang good for the price, and if you like deeper skates, RBK/CCM skates aren't bad. RBK skates are close to Tacks, which are pretty good until they stopped production, and CCM Vectors are... well, kind of close to Vapors in terms of fit. But in terms of quality, Mission/RBK/NBH/CCM are all pretty good. Eastons are hit and miss sometimes.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote