HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 10/10 - New York Rangers @ New York Islanders - 7pm

Old
10-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I caught it...

hopefully him taking over, as he did a bit last season, doesn't rub Jags, the captain, the wrong way.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 08:27 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Did the DVR thing last night around 12 and watched the whole game and was obviously disappointed

1. Jagr is a big key to this team (duh). Yeah they've got a great surrounding cast who are capable of winning games by "themselves" but Jagr needs to get his game together - and quick. Too many times did he put himself in bad positions to accept a pass or situate himself for a shot or defense. He turned it up late but he wasnt skating - especially in the neutral zone. He looked lazy and didnt get off any pure shots, maybe 1.

2. Too many cross-ice passes. Not enough support. The team is flying around with anticipation that they'll receive a bomb pass or a perfect pass to lead them over the blue line or up the wing.
Forcing WAY too many passes. It looks like everyones looking for Drury or Gomez and Jagr. The need to support more. Too many heads turning around and while facing the wrong side of the rink.

3. Tyutin and Girardi had great games. Tyutin especially really was on the ball last night, played a very strong game and got that great goal. Thats a good sign as the defense hasnt been all that bad. 6 GA in 3 games should win you at least 2 games there. But most of the credit there should be given to Lundqvist.

4. Lundqvist has been in mid-season form. Enough said there. Stupid penalty he took though. But hes keeping them in games.

5. Special teams will come around. PK was good, besides the fact that the 5 on 3 killed them last night and on the PP too. They need more shots again... What else is new

6. Faceoffs - this team is better. A ton of mis faceoffs last night i Was shocked how many they lost, and even if they "won" them, an Islander was in their face and stripped it away. Things might have changed last night if they were hot on faceoffs. They spent about 5 more minutes in the defensive zone because of lost faceoffs and lost time on the PP and when they were buzzing in the other zone. Even though for the game it was dead even at 50% the Rangers with the cneters they have should be more around 55-65%

7. When this team creates space they are very dangerous. Give credit to the Islanders, they really pursued the puck last night (though i thought they avoided the box luckily) and out hustled the rangers for long stretches of the game. But the Rangers had a few occasions where i think it started to settle in. Straka and Gomez both started backing everyone in and then peeling off and setting up the trailer (which led to the Tyutin goal) and i think we'll see more of that. Problem is is when space is limited they arent reacting well right now. Very rusty.

8. Suffocate the Rangers and their chances of winning diminish. If the Rangers are not skating and not "dictating" the play it seems all you have to do is be in their face and out hustle them and you can win. Ottawa did it, The Isles did it last night for stretches and Florida was doing it for 2 periods and stopped. It could be a case of veteran rustiness - Because the Rangers really do look rusty, but its got to stop. Callahan, Prucha Drury and Betts seemed like the only ones forechecking and forcing the play last night. Teams like Pittsburgh can get you into a shootout mode with their speed - others like Ottawa just work you to death - and for the Rangers to be successful this year they have to find what works for them. They've got no identity right now.

9. Oh and the passing was horrible. I dont know if was the ice (because it was happening to both teams) or not but a ton of easy passes were screwed up. This team just needs to play together more.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-11-2007 at 08:39 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Levitate

I'm not sure they're playing without passion or playing lazy...a lot of times they just look more like they're unsure. I guess I'm saying I don't think they're not trying, they just aren't quite sure what they need to do yet.

Oh and they need to work on the breakout...jesus. That's why the Isles were able to put some cycling pressure on, because the Rangers could keep trying the same exact "up the boards to the wing!" breakout, except there'd be an Isles player waiting there. I know that's the general, basic breakout, but when you've tried it 4 times in one shift and it doesn't work because the other team is expecting it, you need to do something different.

In all, they still look like a team trying to find their game offensively. Defensively they're not bad most of the time

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 08:48 AM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I was there, in 306... ****** display of hockey.

- This was an absolute goaltenders duel with DP getting a few breaks that won him the battle. DP played great, hats off to him. Otherwise, the Islanders were toast if the Rangers actually skated. When the Rangers turned it up (when they wanted to, that is) the Islanders couldn't handle them.

- ****** officiating on both sides. It was missed/botched calls and then IOU's in return all night. Terrible officiating, arguably the worst officiated game I've EVER seen. These guys just need to shut the hell up and put the whistles away if they can't call it the right way. Callahan for diving while he's being ***** with sticks in front? Betts for hooking a player that he bumped into? Even the Islander fans I sat with said the same things I'm saying now.

- Hilary Duff could do a lot better than Mike Comrie, that's just pathetic.

- The Rangers had 3 open nets that they missed... Gomez's chance was arguably the worst... hearing the Islander fans chant DP after that "save" is hilarious being that anyone who has a clue about hockey would know that he just didn't get the puck up.

Renney better start using different line combinations, and keeping tools like Strudwick out of the lineup.
Not sure what breaks you are referring to? Was it the Rangers missing an open net or 2. That's not a break that the Rangers not finishing the play. Otherwise DiPitero played a great game cutting down plenty of angles. Sure he left a rebound or 2 or 4 or 6 but D was there to clear anything away. On the Callahan play the Refs thought Callahan embellished the play therefore you had the unsportsmanlike. As for Gomez not getting the puck up maybe thats why he had 13 goals last year. Why do you care what Isles fans chant after he made the save. I could say the same thing why you guys were all giddy when Lundquist went across the crease to stop Guerin. Ohh if Guerin would have gotten the puck up he would have scored. But he didn't and the Queen made the save.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 08:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think its obvious that all the vets need more time to get it going. But we dont want to get 6 games into the season looking for the second win here.

With that said, i'm a little disappointed in the way the preseason went. ITs a catch-22 though. For a team that has a lot of new faces and a strong corps of prospects, Renney was burning the candle at both ends. On one hand you want to see what each prospect has and give them a taste of the NHL, but on the other hand you are stunting the veterans ability to adapt to the system, get to know eachother and their tendancies - but above all - just getting time in games.

It seems for minutes on end the Rangers are trying to get it together like they stil lare in preseason, because they never had a preseason in reality. Never had a full squad take the ice. Looking back on it i think it was kinda mistake. But its hard to say that when I get excited about the prospects as everyone else does. In a way you are kind mortgaging the first 8th of the season to get a long look at some of these guys because you have team with a lot of new faces and veterans that need time to "warm up".

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
On the Callahan play the Refs thought Callahan embellished the play therefore you had the unsportsmanlike.
Which was a pretty bad call. He got tripped and taken down, of course he's going to flail a bit when he falls over backwards because someone tripped him. It was a weak call.

Quote:
But he didn't and the Queen made the save.
Don't come on our board and start garbage like this.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Nich

dubi with 2:58

prucha with 9:16

really, this does not make me happy.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:35 AM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Which was a pretty bad call. He got tripped and taken down, of course he's going to flail a bit when he falls over backwards because someone tripped him. It was a weak call.

Don't come on our board and start garbage like this.
I agree it was a bad call on Callahan. The guy gets taken down he's gonna flail a bit. But do any calls you see surprise you after all the crap they called last year. The Refs are awful on both sides any game you can pick out 2 or 3 calls against your team just have to work through them. I just wish they were a bit more consistent from game to game unfortunately when have this many officiating crews there's gonna be inconsistentcy.
As for my comment about the Great Lundquist lighten up! Just poking some fun at an opposing goalie. You guys yap enough about DiPietro and Witt all the time. It's all part of the rivalry.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Drury was sandwiched without the puck in the Isles zone before the Malik penalty, i'm surprised no one caught that, the Isles shouldve been a man down instead it led to that eventual 5 on 3

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Some shots of Hilary Duff I took for those interested:
Decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Ehhhh, she doesnt do it for me since she lost the blonde hair innocent look
I'd take her, agree about the blonde hair, but it could always be changed back.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 04:57 PM
crisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Just got in from the game....

1. Gomez finally showed his speed to me. Also showed me why he only scored 13 goals last year. Man do we miss Nylander W/ Jagr.

2. DP is amazing. Islanders have a great keeper.

3. Hanks looked a bit shaky. He kept shaking his head between whistles and just looked like he didn;t wanna be out on the ice.

4. The Ref was an *******.

5. 1 brawl and 1 retarded fight (that i saw off) in the stands.

6. That arena sucks. they really really need a new one.

7. The Islanders ice girls are so hot.

8. Strudwick played IMO great.

9. We couldn't put the puck in the ocean tonight.

10. The LIRR sucks.
Haha, I saw only one fight. I think it was in 339.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'm not sure they're playing without passion or playing lazy...a lot of times they just look more like they're unsure. I guess I'm saying I don't think they're not trying, they just aren't quite sure what they need to do yet.
I would certainly hope that the last statement is not the case. How on Earth is this team not sure of what to do? What happened to the players who plaid here from February all the way through the Buffalo series? They certainly knew what to do back then. For whatever reason, they are just not doing it. The Hoosier offense is back in vogue. What got them success last year, dumping the puck and then going into corners and retrieving it, has largely been abandoned. Once again, the team is back to trying to stickhandle through 4 opposing players.

The players know what to do. And the ones that have been imported, Drury and Gomez, do as well. They are just not doing it. Funny, I would have thought that the team learned what it has to do to be successfull, but they have simply seemed to abandon that approach.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I think these next two games being back to back will be a good thing for this team. I'm sure they know, and I know we here on the boards know, that they need these points. I think the pressure of these two games against two good teams will bring out the best. Or at least I hope it will. I would like to see Mara back in and on the point on the PP, obviously that means Strudwick out! I dont think his supposed "grit and calming influence is going to help with the Caps and it did nada against the Sens last week and I could only imagine it would be the same sat.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
hopefully him taking over, as he did a bit last season, doesn't rub Jags, the captain, the wrong way.
Shanahan was a vocal lockerroom guy last year too and it didn't cause any problems. I've always gotten the impression that Jags is much more of a lead by example kind of captain than a vocal leader anyway.

And I know some people might jump on that, but I don't want to hear that he looks lazy. He's been working his butt off in these games. I think the people who get on Jagr for that (and I'm talking to you, Fletch, just generally) do so because they see him turn on the jets every now then when's he chasing a guy for puck or something and wonder why he doesn't do it all the time. But he knows his limits; he can't play like he did when he was 25 anymore. No one gets upset with a Pedro or a Clemens or a Schilling when they don't throw as hard as they can on every pitch.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan View Post
Haha, I saw only one fight. I think it was in 339.
I saw one after the game on the way to my car, lol. It was pretty funny, two guys who obviously didnt want to fight but were trying to look tough in front of everybody. They were waiting to be held back, haha

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
Not sure what breaks you are referring to? Was it the Rangers missing an open net or 2. That's not a break that the Rangers not finishing the play. Otherwise DiPitero played a great game cutting down plenty of angles. Sure he left a rebound or 2 or 4 or 6 but D was there to clear anything away. On the Callahan play the Refs thought Callahan embellished the play therefore you had the unsportsmanlike. As for Gomez not getting the puck up maybe thats why he had 13 goals last year. Why do you care what Isles fans chant after he made the save. I could say the same thing why you guys were all giddy when Lundquist went across the crease to stop Guerin. Ohh if Guerin would have gotten the puck up he would have scored. But he didn't and the Queen made the save.
I actually think this might be the highlight of your year after all.

Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 05:58 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Tell me I'm wrong for being really T O after watching the Maple Loafs torch the Fishstixs for 8, 8 friggin goals. Toronto has been horrible so far and they light up the fishies like it was a 80's game!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 06:01 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Tell me I'm wrong for being really T O after watching the Maple Loafs torch the Fishstixs for 8, 8 friggin goals. Toronto has been horrible so far and they light up the fishies like it was a 80's game!
well to be fair, we'd probably light the Leafs up. When its a local rivalry it comes down to intangibles and not the fact our squad is more talented than the Fishes...

its just one of those things....

Im hoping on that theory it'll mean we hammer the Devils as Florida beat them 3-0 last night!!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 08:50 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I wouldnt be to ticked off.. They played a horrible game last night all around. But lets face it, this is the kind of performance Id expect from most teams on their 5th game in 7 nights.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Godard View Post
I wouldnt be to ticked off.. They played a horrible game last night all around. But lets face it, this is the kind of performance Id expect from most teams on their 5th game in 7 nights.
I wouldn't "expect" anything, especially a blowout loss.

That's just something you never "expect."

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 03:00 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Anyone catch this?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10112007...blue_lines.htm
Thought it was kinda cool
Well, that's what captains do