HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mara scratched again. What now?

Old
10-10-2007, 04:03 AM
NYRJurgen88

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Mara scratched again. What now?

He's out of the isle line up...so he's obviously not flavour of the month now... once can be tinkering, twice? well somethings up...im not sure im happy with Renney's reasoning:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...t_benchin.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102007..._of_coarse.htm

Two links to the news.

Is there any point keeping 3million of cap space in the press box???

Surely that space would allow Montoya in the NHL or even an upgrade on both Mara AND Strudwick???

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:20 AM
shon

3 million dollar d man healthy scratch all for the mighty Staal. and don't jump all over me. it was in the paper. what ever happened to the TEAM.I think Staal will be good but every point in the season counts. This is turning out not to be the year we want to do good it is so Staal can play in the NHL.Honestly he needs to go to Hartford.Do you not think this is ruining our chemistry,having one of our top d sitting out.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 04:30 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
3 million dollar d man healthy scratch all for the mighty Staal. and don't jump all over me. it was in the paper. what ever happened to the TEAM.I think Staal will be good but every point in the season counts. This is turning out not to be the year we want to do good it is so Staal can play in the NHL.Honestly he needs to go to Hartford.Do you not think this is ruining our chemistry,having one of our top d sitting out.
i dont think having Staal in the side effects chemsitry at all. Its not like he is a bad guy or a dsruption and i think he has earnt his shot. I think he has shown glimpses of being good, and had a good pre season but i dont think his shot should come at the expense of Mara.

Strudwick should sit.

Renney says Struds' inclusion is due to sandpaper effect but surely the way Mara stepped up in that regard against Florida showed he can do that too but also has a much better overall game.

Im disappointed. My 3rd pairing would be Mara - Staal... i think that would be msot people's....just maybe not yours!

Old
10-10-2007, 04:49 AM
DimaNYR

Maybe something is in the works? Who knows... They might be keeping Mara scratched so he doesn't get injured... After all, I don't think a 3d paring D-man is worth 3 mil. And on this team, Mara is no more then a 3rd pair D.

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 05:04 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEKJIO View Post
Maybe something is in the works? Who knows... They might be keeping Mara scratched so he doesn't get injured... After all, I don't think a 3d paring D-man is worth 3 mil. And on this team, Mara is no more then a 3rd pair D.
Ctekjio,

i think Mara CAN be more than a 3rd pairing guy, given the chance. However especially now, i cant see that chance ever coming...so i do hope something is in the works...im quite happy with our Depth and the 'reserves' we have in Hartford so i'd be happy clearing Mara's space for a decent draft pick...

of course i'd rather us give him a chace to show what he can do...

Old
10-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Ola

For all I know, it could be a sign that Marc Staal might be sent down -- unless he really steps up. IE Renney is giving him the best possible chance to make a statement; and unless he can handle a big role where he is the go-to D on his pairing they want him as the top D in HFD.

It could mean that Renney is pretty dissapointed in Mara, just not liking how he plays.

It could mean that Mara is on the way out, though wouldn't it make more sense to play him then to boost his value?

Who knows?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 05:31 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
For all I know, it could be a sign that Marc Staal might be sent down -- unless he really steps up. IE Renney is giving him the best possible chance to make a statement; and unless he can handle a big role where he is the go-to D on his pairing they want him as the top D in HFD.

It could mean that Renney is pretty dissapointed in Mara, just not liking how he plays.

It could mean that Mara is on the way out, though wouldn't it make more sense to play him then to boost his value?

Who knows?
Ola,

i think your point on Staal is very much a conspiracy theory!!!! No one really expects Staal to be a top pair D man just yet. If it happens then its a bonus. If that was what Renney was counting on then we're all in trouble as thats a huge leap of faith.

I think Staal is being given the best opportunity to play. i cant see how Renney is preparing to send him down by keeping him in the line up. That makes as much sense as keeping Mara OUT to bosot his value...

Old
10-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
I hope this doesnt turn into an Ozolinsh experiment, trying to play someone who doesnt fit, I like Struds but I havent see anything special from him, I think Mara deserves to be in the lineup, at least tonight

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 07:07 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaScores View Post
I hope this doesnt turn into an Ozolinsh experiment, trying to play someone who doesnt fit, I like Struds but I havent see anything special from him, I think Mara deserves to be in the lineup, at least tonight
Pru,

i agree. The thing is - there is nothing special in Struds. He's a character, depth guy with servere limitations. He can play the 7th man fairly well and thats it. i'd rather see Mara play but it doesnt look like its gonna happen, so if he were to get traded i'd rather see Pock as the 6th guy and i dont rate him either...

if Pock AND/or Mara were to leave i'd seriiosuly think about brining up Baranka if he's fit...

Old
10-10-2007, 07:27 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't think Mara is going anywhere. Sure, moving him would clear cap space, but right now, we don't need that space. We have pretty much the roster we want and it all fits under the cap. I could see Mara being moved, but only if it brings us back a NHL-ready asset. This isn't going to be a salary dump, IMO. Our defensive depth is an asset and there's no reason to make a deal yet.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Levitate

I worry much less about the actual fact of Strudwick being in the lineup and much more about the possible attitude behind it.

I feel like Renney is taking the early part of the season as an experiment time, and not worrying as much about wins and losses as he should be. Treating it as a preseason, if you will.

It's not a requirement to get off to a blazing fast start if you want to win the cup, but wasting points is wasting points, no matter if it's at the beginning of the season or the end.

Thinking about playing Strudwick now, at the expense of points now, so that there might be a payoff later on in the form of Staal maturing faster, seems like a weird strategy to me and makes me think Renney needs to focus more on winning games.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I worry much less about the actual fact of Strudwick being in the lineup and much more about the possible attitude behind it.

I feel like Renney is taking the early part of the season as an experiment time, and not worrying as much about wins and losses as he should be. Treating it as a preseason, if you will.

It's not a requirement to get off to a blazing fast start if you want to win the cup, but wasting points is wasting points, no matter if it's at the beginning of the season or the end.

Thinking about playing Strudwick now, at the expense of points now, so that there might be a payoff later on in the form of Staal maturing faster, seems like a weird strategy to me and makes me think Renney needs to focus more on winning games.

well said Levitate. The focus should be on winning, whether we're in Oct or April or June... hell, even with a loaded team we still have to get to June.

I find it wierd that he is justifying Struds inclusion by stating its for Staal... Everyone though Staal and Mara worked well...so that seems like a contradiction.

2k - i agree we dont need to move cap, and i would rather Mara stay but if he's continually scratched he's good enough that there'd be enquiries for him IMO and at 3mill if a good offer came in they'd surely think about it...

Old
10-10-2007, 07:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Have some of you people stopped taking your meds?The Rangers have played two games.2 games.Some people are complaining about Staal being in the line-up.Some people are saying Renney should chase every point.Renney can't win.The Rangers can't win.If Renney plays Strudwick over Staal,it's same old Rangers.Renney is playing Strudwick over Mara and playing Staal and they are still complaining.When did Mara become this indispensable player?All of the whining about a slightly above journeyman defenseman?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Have some of you people stopped taking your meds?The Rangers have played two games.2 games.Some people are complaining about Staal being in the line-up.Some people are saying Renney should chase every point.Renney can't win.The Rangers can't win.If Renney plays Strudwick over Staal,it's same old Rangers.Renney is playing Strudwick over Mara and playing Staal and they are still complaining.When did Mara become this indispensable player?All of the whining about a slightly above journeyman defenseman?
Mara isnt indispensable...but other than passing for a Renney favourite he has done nothing wrong either. Over the last 3 years, in Struds various stints wth the club what has he done to override Mara??? Mara played pretty well last year and in the Florida game yet he gets dropped?

Yes; its 2 games in - but we can still discuss strange chhoices like this one.

i for one am far from panicking. i said we'd take ten(ish) games to gel, but i also want to see progess. There's nothing wrong in demanding that.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:00 AM
blue2noise

"We want to give Marc the opportunity to seize the moment," Renney said. "We need to groom our young defensemen, and at times that will be at the expense of others."

That is all i need to hear. That is exactly what this team has needed for years. Kudos to Renney.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Levitate

Quote:
The Rangers have played two games.2 games
True, and that's why I'm not too worried. I didn't expect the team to get off to a blazing start and everyone work perfectly together.

Quote:
Some people are complaining about Staal being in the line-up.Some people are saying Renney should chase every point.Renney can't win.
Renney should go after every point though. One point could be the difference of getting into the playoffs, or winning the division, etc etc. I'm not saying he's completely unconcerned with these games, but I have this itching feeling that this might be one of those instances where Renney is outsmarting himself. I don't think I'd feel that way if he hadn't pinned this decision on Staal's development.

Quote:
The Rangers can't win.If Renney plays Strudwick over Staal,it's same old Rangers.Renney is playing Strudwick over Mara and playing Staal and they are still complaining.When did Mara become this indispensable player?All of the whining about a slightly above journeyman defenseman?
To me, it's less about Mara and more about Strudwick. The guy just isn't a top 6 NHL defenseman and it makes me uncomfortable for him to be there when a better player is sitting. Like I said, it seems like Renney might be outsmarting himself.

Though the other part to this is that we've had several days of no action to bicker over this. It's one thing if Strudwick is a constant fixture on the blueline for 20 games or so, and it's another if he just starts 2 out of the first 5 or so games. We don't have enough of a sample to determine what Renney's plans are at this point.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I agree that people are being irrational early on this season, but not in this thread. Our $3M defenseman is a scratch, for the second time; people want to know what is going to happen to him. What is wrong with that?

You're right, Renney can't win. This fan base will never be completely satisfied with any single head coach... It's the name of the game, coaching in New York. Fortunately, Renney's job isn't to satiate the desires of us jerkoffs on the internet. So what's the problem?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:03 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
"We want to give Marc the opportunity to seize the moment," Renney said. "We need to groom our young defensemen, and at times that will be at the expense of others."

That is all i need to hear. That is exactly what this team has needed for years. Kudos to Renney.
i hope he sticks to that when they make the occasional mistake. He needs to back them all the way. i hope Renney means it, as an improving Staal will mean a better Rangers- short and long term.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I agree that people are being irrational early on this season, but not in this thread. Our $3M defenseman is a scratch, for the second time; people want to know what is going to happen to him. What is wrong with that?

You're right, Renney can't win. This fan base will never be completely satisfied with any single head coach... It's the name of the game, coaching in New York. Fortunately, Renney's job isn't to satiate the desires of us jerkoffs on the internet. So what's the problem?
overall Renney is doing a great job, his record says so... but everyone has to agree there are times where he makes odd decisions! I just would like him to stick to a concept and run with it...he justseems to change his plans alot. If by doing that he wins us a cup then great.

i just hope, as ive said before, he keeps faith with Staal and really pushes the youngsters, as other than through injury-when he has to play them, thats his biggest fault.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:

That's good and all, but seriously...Strudwick? After what we saw against Ottawa? How he left his side of the ice wide open several times, probably in some attempt to "help" the rookie?

I like Struds, I like that he's on the team. I think he's great for the development of Staal...in practice and in the locker room. I don't know about in game.

Of course this can be one of those "coach knows best because he sees these guys in practice together and blah blah", but Strudwick continues to perform like he did in Ottawa (and from his past performances, we know that's not out of the ordinary), I think it starts hurting the team and Staal more than it helps.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
overall Renney is doing a great job, his record says so... but everyone has to agree there are times where he makes odd decisions! I just would like him to stick to a concept and run with it.
Last year was a perfect example of this. Everyone ripped Renney's every move all year. Then when his experiments and tinkering finally came together the team was near unbeatable. Its a new season with new players and it is only natural to have to tinker again to find the right formula. If you think Renney is the only coach tinkering with styles and lineups to find the right combination you are sadly mistaken. I am happy he is not one of those arrogant coaches that refuses to change their philosophy no matter what the team is reflecting.

You can't stick to a concept until you find the concept you need to stick with to be successful. Renney thinks long term, which is something we have not had here in a long time. i just wish the complainers would do the same.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
WheresBarnaby

On the surface this move looks bad, but Renney's proven time, and time agian, that he's a better coach than I There's a reason behind the madness.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That's good and all, but seriously...Strudwick? After what we saw against Ottawa? How he left his side of the ice wide open several times, probably in some attempt to "help" the rookie?

I like Struds, I like that he's on the team. I think he's great for the development of Staal...in practice and in the locker room. I don't know about in game.

Of course this can be one of those "coach knows best because he sees these guys in practice together and blah blah", but Strudwick continues to perform like he did in Ottawa (and from his past performances, we know that's not out of the ordinary), I think it starts hurting the team and Staal more than it helps.

Again...TWO GAMES. YOu can't be shortsighted enough to base a season's roster decisions on that.

Old
10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Last year was a perfect example of this. Everyone ripped Renney's every move all year. Then when his experiments and tinkering finally came together the team was near unbeatable. Its a new season with new players and it is only natural to have to tinker again to find the right formula. If you think Renney is the only coach tinkering with styles and lineups to find the right combination you are sadly mistaken. I am happy he is not one of those arrogant coaches that refuses to change their philosophy no matter what the team is reflecting.

You can't stick to a concept until you find the concept you need to stick with to be successful. Renney thinks long term, which is something we have not had here in a long time. i just wish the complainers would do the same.
i hear you, but still Struds is not needed.

i agree with what you say about the concept but does that make the pre-season a waste when he played guys with no chance of making the side?!?! Ithoughtnthe concept last year was a good one. We brought in better players so cant we try the same concept?

I like Renney i really do, i also love what's been achieved in the last 3/4 years i just hope he continues that way...

Old
10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Again...TWO GAMES. YOu can't be shortsighted enough to base a season's roster decisions on that.
I addressed that in a previous post.