HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

dave keon

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2004, 05:58 AM
coachbob

vCash: 500
dave keon

I`ve been a diehard leaf fan for many years. I was 8 when they won their last cup. One of my alltime favourites is Dave Keon. I am very aware of his situation with the leafs. It is a real shame that the leaf organization can't seem to bring him back into the fold. There needs to be a movement to bring him back and put his number up in the rafters with the other Leaf greats. Any ideas?
P.S. Thats right, 37 years withour a cup and still a die-hard.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Lowetide

Excellent, excellent post. I'm the same age as you, and although I don't remember the Cup win (I'm sure my dad was thrilled though) in 1967, but I remember that era very well because every Saturday night was HNIC.

Keon was the perfect player, and as with all things from your youth, once you grow up you sort of wish someone had told you how special he was. I've been waiting my adult life for another Dave Keon, and I guess it's time to accept there isn't going to be one.

Old
01-11-2004, 07:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

The MLSE have tried to reconcile with Keon, but he wants nothing to do with it.

The ball is in Keon's court, and he isn't serving.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
The MLSE have tried to reconcile with Keon, but he wants nothing to do with it.

The ball is in Keon's court, and he isn't serving.
That's right Ulf

Dave Keon is also my favourite Leaf of all time ... and the Maple Leafs have tried on many occasions to mend the fence that Harold Ballard destroyed... He was invited to numerous ceremonies now one I remember in particular was a Leaf Captains one..

I think what is so surprising was that Keon on the Ice was perhaps the most gentlemanly player the NHL has ever seen... He used to go year after year with just 2 or 4 minutes in penalties and I used to count the games before he took that first 2 minutes... always hoping that one year he would make it all the way without one.. NEVER HAPPENED though ....He was such a great leader and character on and off the ice for the Leafs..and with a personality like that, you would expect a different attitude than the one we are all seeing from Mr. Keon...

They say time heals all wounds....but they also say there is an exception to every rule and this is one of them....

and after a dispute in 1975 he left for the WHA a bitter person and surprisingly to this day 28 years later he will not forgive and forget even though so much has changed, and he gave the Leafs 15 years of dedicated NHL service... many former Leafs have tried Darryl Sittler, George Armstrong, and even HOF goalie Ken Dryden can not persuade Keon to come back to the Flock....

I also wish his Jersey would be retired and we would see number 14 in the rafters with the other Leaf greats where it belongs, rather than on the ice on the backs as such Leaf legends as Jonas Hoglund....at least now it is worn proudly by youngster Matty Stajan, whose father's favourite player was also Davey Keon...

but lets hope the Leafs have there next Dave Keon on the way... That's right he is the leading rookie scorer in the AHL... Yes you guessed it Kyle Wellwood... being of similar build to Keon who also was 5 '9" 160 lbs soaking wet, a great play maker with vision and just like Davey Keon ...Wellwood went all last OHL season with Zero penalties and a goal my former idol could not accomplish, but all the similarities are there...

So if the old one won't come back ...lets embrace the new one on the way...

Last edited by Mess: 01-11-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old
01-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
has keon ever said what would it take to get him to come back to the leafs?

what is keon doing these days anyways?

Old
01-11-2004, 08:37 AM
coachbob

Why can't the Leafs just have a ceremony to hang his jersey in the rafters whether he comes or not? I think the Leafs owe it to their fans to do this, whether Keon agrees or not. What would happen if a star player passes away? Would they wait for him to come back in his next life to get permission to honor him by raising his jersey to the rafters?
Just because Keon is bitter doesn't mean he shouldn't be honoured. Shame on the Leafs for not finding a way to get it done.

Old
01-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Why can't the Leafs just have a ceremony to hang his jersey in the rafters whether he comes or not?
Because they know he wouldn't show up and that would make a sham of the whole thing.

Old
01-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbob
Why can't the Leafs just have a ceremony to hang his jersey in the rafters whether he comes or not? I think the Leafs owe it to their fans to do this, whether Keon agrees or not. What would happen if a star player passes away? Would they wait for him to come back in his next life to get permission to honor him by raising his jersey to the rafters?
Just because Keon is bitter doesn't mean he shouldn't be honoured. Shame on the Leafs for not finding a way to get it done.
I understand the just of your post that something should be done... but I also don't feel that you can force something on someone that they don't want.... Hanging #14 in the rafters honours Keon not the Fans..

....and your after death arguement doesn't stand up...Timing is everything and now that it is going on 29 years since he played his last Leaf game many would argue that the appropriate time to do something has passed... where whole generations on young fans, already have no idea who he is and never got to see him play and can just read about him in Leaf history Books....

Davey Keon

Last edited by Mess: 01-11-2004 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Charge_Seven

Keon

Maybe the right thing to do would be hold a ceremony in his honour, do not retire, or honour his number. Offer an appology, in front of the 18,000 or so fans, and just leave it at that. At least then it's not at all the Leafs who are being unwilling to be the bigger man. Make sure that the appology is out there, and don't make excuses just say "Dave, thank you for your time with us, thank you for your tremendous talents, and we appologize for everything that went wrong." But use a speach writer, cause that one wouldn't win him back ;-).

What's most important is the appology, if he doesn't wish to accept, he doesn't have to, but in his heart he knows that he wishes things happened differently, just like the Leafs wish so to.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Maybe the right thing to do would be hold a ceremony in his honour, do not retire, or honour his number. Offer an appology, in front of the 18,000 or so fans, and just leave it at that. At least then it's not at all the Leafs who are being unwilling to be the bigger man. Make sure that the appology is out there, and don't make excuses just say "Dave, thank you for your time with us, thank you for your tremendous talents, and we appologize for everything that went wrong." But use a speach writer, cause that one wouldn't win him back ;-).

What's most important is the appology, if he doesn't wish to accept, he doesn't have to, but in his heart he knows that he wishes things happened differently, just like the Leafs wish so to.
Not a bad idea at all..

Old
01-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Mr Keon,

Ballard's dead, and has been for 13 (nearly 14 years). What is the hold up? Walk onto the ice in the ACC triumphantly and win the war. Take the Leafs back as your own. They are more your team than they were ever his.

It is time to bury that sad and disturbing era once and for all.
Keon needs to grow up. Like you said, Ballard is dead. This whole grudge he has against everything about Toronto gets on my nerves.

Old
01-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Charge_Seven

Keon

Keon does not need to give up his grudge in any way. I'm about the biggest Leaf fan possible, but Dave Keon was treated poorly (I don't know the exact situation, if someone could fill me in on exactly what happened that'd be good). He has no obligation to accept an appology, no matter who it's from. But I agree, it'd be good if he'd just move on.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:36 PM
IWD

Personally, I don't think I could care less about Dave Keon any less than I currently do. While Ballard's treatment of him was completely unacceptable, the current ownership has absolutely nothing to do with what was done to him. It is completely unnecessary to hold a grudge with those who had absolutely nothing to do with his conflict. As far as I'm concerned, Keon turned his back on the franchise and the fans. I hope I never see his jersey in the rafters.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
Keon turned his back on the franchise and the fans. I hope I never see his jersey in the rafters.

Old
01-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
Keon turned his back on the franchise and the fans. I hope I never see his jersey in the rafters.
The franchise turned their back on Keon. This is why he was/is angry.

Sure the regime that treated him like he was nothing is long gone, but he is a stubborn little guy, who is not going to give in anytime soon if you ask me.

Last edited by Killer 93: 01-11-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old
01-11-2004, 03:21 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
The franchise turned their back on Keon. This is why he was/is angry.

Sure the regime that treated him like he was nothing is long gone, but he is a stubborn little guy, who is not going to give in anytime soon if you ask me.
Kind of. The ownership/management turned their back on Keon. The franchise did not. He's pissed off at the ownership, and rightly so. But the bottom line is that he not only turned his back on ownership, but he included the fans and the jersey as well. That is not right. At least, that's how I see it.

In my opinion, he certainly isn't deserving of any honours. His behaviour in the last 25 years more than counters what he accomplished for the Leafs. Let him sulk.

Old
01-12-2004, 04:14 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Excellent, excellent post. I'm the same age as you, and although I don't remember the Cup win (I'm sure my dad was thrilled though) in 1967, but I remember that era very well because every Saturday night was HNIC.

Keon was the perfect player, and as with all things from your youth, once you grow up you sort of wish someone had told you how special he was. I've been waiting my adult life for another Dave Keon, and I guess it's time to accept there isn't going to be one.
I'm old enough to remember Keon on the ice and could care less about what has transpired off of it. As a life long Habs fan, Wednesday nights were special as it seemed that Habs/Leafs played every week on CTV. Just the centre matchups were legendary. Beliveau/Kelly, Richard/Keon and Backstrom/Pulford. Neither coach had a problem with these matchups and just let them play. Keon and Richard both played a similar style and brought a lot of speed and passion to the game. 4 out of 6 hall of famers, not a bad era in a rivalry. A loss to the Leafs hurt a little more than any other, that was for sure. If the internet existed in those days, I can just imagine the post game comments when John Ferguson would buzz Johnny Bower and get away with it.

Closed Thread