HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring back Nylander-its a good idea

Old
10-11-2007, 09:40 AM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
I honestly would have kept him, for the same reason as FLYline, to play with Jagr. Maybe sign Drury and not Gomez, idk, At this point it looks like they have some gelling to do.

But bringing back Nylander again is insane.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Stoney La Rock

The chances of Nylander coming back to NY are about as improbable as the Caps taking Jagr.

Not going to happen.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Think about it...i'm not saying right now, but at some point in the near future. Mara's not playing anyway, we can send him down and his salary won't count against the cap, then we can make a trade for nylander at some point this season and squeeze him in.
This season and yo gotta figure at least two more after this one, he's playing with jagr and either hossa or straka. Each combo has had success at the nhl level. If Jagr retires and Nylander has a year left and you feel he's no longer important to this team, you can just send him down, no cap hit.....remember who our owner is.
Think about the next 3 years, having nylander, gomez and drury as your top 3 centers.

yes...i know we're only 3 games in.
I find it impressive that at no time during the crafting of this post did you pause and think of any of the following questions:

1) Why would the Rangers trade for a player who is under a contract they explicitly chose not to match the length of?

2) How could the Rangers trade for a guy who just signed a big contract and not run afoul of the salary cap, especially since they are looking to lock up Lundquist in a new long term deal?

3) Why on God's green earth would Washington sign a player to a big long term deal and then trade him a couple months later?

4) What would the Rangers possibly offer Washington that would both convince Washington to make this trade in a year where they are hoping to make the playoffs AND not screw up the Rangers chances at making a Cup run?

Not to mention the whole, 3 games thing.

But other than that, good idea.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
94now

Too late. That train has departed. What needs to be done is a gameplan to play against him tomorrow. He will have 3 point game or better if Betts is not going to shut him down.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Chimp

I am one of those mourning that Nylander is gone, but what is done is done. We couldn't keep him for a 5 year contract, 3 years was maximum.

By the way, where are all those "It was aaall Jagr!" guys who impose Nylander had good numbers just because he played Jagr and nothing else? Shouldn't Gomez and Drury easily have the same success trying out with Jagr, even if just after preseason + 3 games?

Remember, Nylander had instant success with Jagr when coming here and had great success to the day he left. Even if Jagr is a superstar, you must acknowledge that the chemistry between Nylander and Jagr was special. yes, we have Drury and Gomez, but that doesn't mean I don't miss Nylander alot.

I am afraid it will take longer than expected for Jagr and Drury/Gomez to find a gameplan that is working effectively. Frankly, their chemistry has been looking bad out there, which means below mediocre.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-11-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
By the way, where are all those "It was aaall Jagr!" guys who impose Nylander had good numbers just because he played Jagr and nothing else? Shouldn't Gomez and Drury easily have the same success trying out with Jagr, even if just after preseason + 3 games?

Remember, Nylander had instant success with Jagr when coming here and had great success to the day he left. Even if Jagr is a superstar, you must acknowledge that the chemistry between Nylander and Jagr was special. yes, we have Drury and Gomez, but that doesn't mean I don't miss Nylander alot.

You conveniently failed to mention Nylander and Jagr were teammates in Washington in 02-03 and that was a major reason why the Rangers brought Nylander in three years ago

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You conveniently failed to mention Nylander and Jagr were teammates in Washington in 02-03 and that was a major reason why the Rangers brought Nylander in three years ago
Let's get Mario out of retirement then.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Would rather have Joey Kocur back...

"Lets spin/pass them to death!"

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I kinda wish we signed Nylander for a year just to play with Jagr...but no way do I want him till 2010. Plus we cant have Drury or Gomez on the 3rd line playing 12 minutes.
Yeah, I am defenitly one of the bigger Nylander fans.

The options we think of, often doesn't seem to be a reality for thoose who are pros. I've speculated/dreamed that we could have matched the caps and just sent Nyls to HFD after 2 more years here. Maybe that would have given us a bad rep or something, what do I know.

But, there is no way Nyls will be able to be a good top 2 line center in 3, 4 years.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
"Lets spin/pass them to death!"
Yeah, we should go the Atlanta route, or Calgary route or whatever.

Its stuipid to take a shot when you aren't in good position to either score, or take the rebound.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
TheHotRock

Nylander playing with Jagr for the next 3 years is clearly worth what he's getting paid. That being said, you don't like him in year 4, send him down....it doesn't count towards the cap and it aint your money. I like the kids too, but this team is built to win now.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Nylander playing with Jagr for the next 3 years is clearly worth what he's getting paid. That being said, you don't like him in year 4, send him down....it doesn't count towards the cap and it aint your money. I like the kids too, but this team is built to win now.
So hit the panic button in 2 weeks if neither Gomez nor Drury are producing as Jagr's center. Even that is ridiculously early, but to make this suggestion right now (just 3 games into the season) is simply farcical.

Others have stated the rest of the reasons this won't happen and isn't a smart move.

Really, I'm going to bookmark this thread so in a month or so when Gomez is lighting it up, we can all be reminded how insane some fans get after a couple losses.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:03 PM
TheHotRock

listen, i just love nylander (no homo). honestly, he doesn't fit into the mold of the team the rangers are becoming, he's very east/west and we're getting very north/south. Its just he and Jagr on the same line was a thing of beauty and his presense on this team would balance the lineup. Drury could move into the 3rd line role....i mean, it would just look good. We could send him down once Jagr retires and then start the new era....

whatever, We have world class talent on this club and i have no doubts that they will eventually find their way....I just miss the swedish Gretzky.

oh yea, don't get mad at me when I start a "we should sign Forsberg" thread sometime in December.

.......3 games

Old
10-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
listen, i just love nylander (no homo). honestly, he doesn't fit into the mold of the team the rangers are becoming, he's very east/west and we're getting very north/south. Its just he and Jagr on the same line was a thing of beauty and his presense on this team would balance the lineup. Drury could move into the 3rd line role....i mean, it would just look good. We could send him down once Jagr retires and then start the new era....

whatever, We have world class talent on this club and i have no doubts that they will eventually find their way....I just miss the swedish Gretzky.

oh yea, don't get mad at me when I start a "we should sign Forsberg" thread sometime in December.

.......3 games
Or we could trade for a figure skater to do spins at the blue line. I watched a Washington game the other day and Nylander was up to his same stuff, and gave the puck away. Also missed a pass to him on the point on the power play that lead to a break away.

I just pray that Nylander doesn't make a pretty pass for a goal tomorrow night against us or we'll have half a dozen more of these threads instantly pop up.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
TheHotRock

^hopefully its a pretty pass to jagr

Old
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
lotus

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to start this thread. Knew it was coming sooner or later though.

The only thing I see Nylander doing tomorrow is triple-axels at center ice.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to start this thread. Knew it was coming sooner or later though.

The only thing I see Nylander doing tomorrow is triple-axels at center ice.
I see him having a big game so that the pressure on Gomez can increase and the animosity from fans towards the pour guy sky rockets....

But seriously Nylander is a talented player even though we all make fun of him for his 1080's at center ice he is very good, but i hope he fails tomorrow night. I think face off wise our guys will own him we've been doing well in that category at least.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
clmetsfan

If we somehow did bring back Nylander, I wonder how quickly it would take for people to start clamoring for him to be shipped out again once they start getting frustrated with his looping through the neutral zone tactics.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:54 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm just gonna pretend this thread never happened.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I'm just gonna pretend this thread never happened.
seriously.

I guess the Flyers oughta bring back Forsberg with that Briere fella playing so poorly.

Give it time, it'll come.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yeah, you're right, I forgot about that. I guess that throws "chemistry right away" out of the window, since I don't know how much Nylander played with Jagr in Washington, etc.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 03:41 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Have you lost your mind? Seriously, Nylander is signed through 2010. We're not going to trade for him. Do you really want him back in 4 years? Why would we want a 40 year old Nylander after Jagr is gone? Give me one good reason.
So he could center the next jagr... Cherpanov! lol , J/K

No really, If Nylander was coming back, TOPS 2 years... MAYBE 3 if he takes less cash & I know for Sure Jagr will stay for a 3rd year.

Other than that, I'll take my chances with Gomez/C.D

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 03:56 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Let's get Mario out of retirement then.
im sure Wayne would be tempted too. hell, why not get Bobby Orr back on the ice. Brad Park anyone?!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
xander

every computer needs to be equipped with an extension that will reach out and whack it's user in the crotch at appropirate times. The starting of this thread might have been such an occasion.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Renney=Savior*

Scott Gomez worst offseason signing in NHL.

Renney=Savior* is offline   Reply With Quote