HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny is a 3rd Line Player

Old
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
No offense to Shanny.

I love Shanny.

Still has a sweet pair of hands. And a wicked shot.

But he really should be dealt for a young top 6 forward and/or a 1st round draft pick.

Assuming he would waive the no trade clause.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
TomLaidlaw

Time to beat an already mutilated horse.

Our worst fears from this thread are coming true. Renney's continued stubborness to play shanny 19 minutes a game all season has taken its toll and Shanny is becoming a borderline useless player as the season winds down and heading into the playoffs. I knew as the games got faster and more intense Shanny wouldn't be able to keep up. Logging 19 minutes a night for the entire season didn't help the situation either. I put that on Renney. Have a look at this......

Shanny's Last 15 Games:

4 - goals
6 - assists
0 +/-

Shanny's Last 10 Games:

1 - goal
3 - assists
-3 +/-

Shanny's Last 5 Games:

0 - goals
1 - assist
-4 +/-

see a trend here?

As the games are getting more and more intense and the pace of the game increases Shanny is becoming more and more invisible. So what happens next? Does Renney stand by his guy Shanny at the expense of the team and continue to give him icetime even though his production doesn't warrant it?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Shanny's Last 15 Games:

4 - goals
6 - assists
0 +/-

Shanny's Last 10 Games:

1 - goal
3 - assists
-3 +/-

Shanny's Last 5 Games:

0 - goals
1 - assist
-4 +/-

see a trend here?

As the games are getting more and more intense and the pace of the game increases Shanny is becoming more and more invisible. So what happens next? Does Renney stand by his guy Shanny at the expense of the team and continue to give him icetime even though his production doesn't warrant it?
Good stuff. We're definitely not getting a break from Shanny with Gomez and Betts out now.

In a perfect world, he'd be on the fourth line, getting power play minutes, and being one of the first three shooters in a shootout.

Old
03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Time to beat an already mutilated horse.

Our worst fears from this thread are coming true. Renney's continued stubborness to play shanny 19 minutes a game all season has taken its toll and Shanny is becoming a borderline useless player as the season winds down and heading into the playoffs. I knew as the games got faster and more intense Shanny wouldn't be able to keep up. Logging 19 minutes a night for the entire season didn't help the situation either. I put that on Renney. Have a look at this......

Shanny's Last 15 Games:

4 - goals
6 - assists
0 +/-

Shanny's Last 10 Games:

1 - goal
3 - assists
-3 +/-

Shanny's Last 5 Games:

0 - goals
1 - assist
-4 +/-

see a trend here?

well if you go by Shanny's past experience......

but seriously he needs to have is pk time limited more... problems is that Betts and Gomez is out. So Renney will probably ride him out.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
TheRedressor

After watching the game last night it really hit me that he isn't even a 3rd line player anymore. Everytime someone passed him the puck in the neutral zone the play was broken up because he was unable to carry it into the offensive zone.

As other have said,

4th Line
PP UNIT
Shootout

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
After watching the game last night it really hit me that he isn't even a 3rd line player anymore. Everytime someone passed him the puck in the neutral zone the play was broken up because he was unable to carry it into the offensive zone.

As other have said,

4th Line
PP UNIT
Shootout
I agree 100% Redressor. The sad thing is that he really isn't a 4th line player either. Not saying he isn't as talented as somone like Orr or Hollweg because that is silly but he wouldn't be an effective 4th liner. He doesn't forecheck and he avoids high contact areas like the plague. Things you need your 4th liners to do Shanny simply doesn't or isn't willing to do. In my mind he really doesn't have a spot in any of our 4 lines when this team is fully healthy. Ideally if we were allowed to dress an extra forward that could only play the PP and compete in the shootout Shanny would fit that role. Once the playoffs start and the shootouts are gone his role will be diminshed even further.

Old
03-26-2008, 12:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

Something that still burns me to this day is that we picked Shanny over Matt Cullen. Re-signing shanny meant we needed to move cullens salary. Imagine cullen on this team right now over shanny. He could play the wing on the Dawes-Gomez line and give us one of the fastest lines in the league. He forechecked. He killed penalties. He had the ability to play the point on the power play which would allow us to move straka off the point (renney should have done that last year). Plus if Gomez got hurt which he did, he has the ability to slide over and play his natural position at Center. Also, Cullen raises his game come playoff time and has the speed you need when the pace of the game increases during the playoffs. I don't wanna get this topic off track because this is all hindsight but does anyone think we wouldn't be a better team with Matt Cullen instead of shanny heading into the playoffs?

Old
03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Something that still burns me to this day is that we picked Shanny over Matt Cullen. Re-signing shanny meant we needed to move cullens salary. Imagine cullen on this team right now over shanny. He could play the wing on the Dawes-Gomez line and give us one of the fastest lines in the league. He forechecked. He killed penalties. He had the ability to play the point on the power play which would allow us to move straka off the point (renney should have done that last year). Plus if Gomez got hurt which he did, he has the ability to slide over and play his natural position at Center. Also, Cullen raises his game come playoff time and has the speed you need when the pace of the game increases during the playoffs. I don't wanna get this topic off track because this is all hindsight but does anyone think we wouldn't be a better team with Matt Cullen instead of shanny heading into the playoffs?
100% agree.

Old
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
No offense to Shanny.

I love Shanny.

Still has a sweet pair of hands. And a wicked shot.

But he really should be dealt for a young top 6 forward and/or a 1st round draft pick.

Assuming he would waive the no trade clause.
I really, really hope you're kidding. Shanny is a pending UFA for one thing... and for another, you think he's actually worth a 1st round pick or young top 6 forward at this point???

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
SPG

Shanny is the 2nd leading goal scorer on this team. It still amazes me that there are some jaded people that want him off the team. He's old and he's not what he used to be, but he is still a 20-30 goal scorer with valuable leadership ability (especially come playoff time).

Old
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
94now

Next year we will have to build a brand new 3rd line for him to play.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
SPG

Quote:
Yeah, Matt Cullen and his whopping 13 goals. Whoop-dee-doo

Old
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i agree...cullen is in his prime and much faster...i liked him and i didnt want the rangers to sign shanny last summer and no matter how many points he has i stil stand by that opinion

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Yeah, Matt Cullen and his whopping 13 goals. Whoop-dee-doo
Shanny - 68 Games - 44 Points
Cullen - 57 Games - 49 Points

Cullen has 5 more points then Shanny in 11 less games. Factor in age, salary difference, skating speed, and the fact that cullen actually makes contact with opposing players and your telling me you wouldn't trade Shanny for Cullen right now heading into the playoffs?

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 03-26-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
THANKS YOU!!! I said this in the offseason when he signed his $5.5 mill (with bonuses) contract. It was the most selfish thing I have ever seen out of a so called character guy. That contract will likely hurt us next year. I have always loved the way Shanny plays the game but he is 2 steps too slow and looked awful in the playoffs last year. THERE IS NO CHEMISTRY ON THIS TEAM AND I'M TIRED OF BEING TOLD ITS TOO EARLY. I suffered through this nonsense for way to long over the past 10 years. You can't buy chemistry. Dawes needs to be brought up as he earned his spot and deserves a chance. He and Gomez were great together.
We have lost like 2 times the last 16 games in regulation and have been outshot like 3 times the last 40 games. Its not thhhhaaaaattt bad...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree...cullen is in his prime and much faster...i liked him and i didnt want the rangers to sign shanny last summer and no matter how many points he has i stil stand by that opinion
always hated the cullen trade and agree completely w/ you.... but look at it this way for a sec... if we didn't Trade Cullen Renney probably would be using him as the 3c and Dubi would still be in the A.

still can't stand Shanny though.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We have lost like 2 times the last 16 games in regulation and have been outshot like 3 times the last 40 games. Its not thhhhaaaaattt bad...
no its not that bad but it could be better. Imagine a line of Dawes-Gomez-Cullen... imagine a PP w/ Cullen instead of Straka at the point... imagine a world in which Malik doesn't get booed still, and where Isiah Thomas would get fired....... i guess the point of that is we might be in a happier place.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
always hated the cullen trade and agree completely w/ you.... but look at it this way for a sec... if we didn't Trade Cullen Renney probably would be using him as the 3c and Dubi would still be in the A.

still can't stand Shanny though.
maybe.....or they move him to wing or drury to wing with gomez......or with dubi

how about these lines

straka-dubi-jagr
dawes-gomez-cullen
callahan-drury-avery
sjostrom-betts-hollweg/orr

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

dont split up the Avery Jagr Dubi line way too much production

lines should be

Avery-Dubie-Jagr
Sjostrom-Gomez-Dawes
Straka-Drury-Callahan
Shanny-Betts-Prucha/Hollweg

Staal-Rozsival
Girardi-Tyutin
Backman-Mara

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
SPG

Quote:
Shanny - 68 Games - 44 Points
Cullen - 57 Games - 49 Points

Cullen has 5 more points then Shanny in 11 less games. Factor in age, salary difference, skating speed, and the fact that cullen actually makes contact with opposing players and your telling me you wouldn't trade Shanny for Cullen right now heading into the playoffs?
I don't care what the stats say as far as points go. Without Shanny on this team (up until last night) we have ONE 20+ goal scorer on the roster. Not to mention the several shootout game winners he's delivered. And no, I wouldn't trade Shanny for Cullen if I had the opportunity to do so before the playoffs. I'm far from Shanny's biggest fan, but people who don't see his worth to this team are delusional.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I don't care what the stats say as far as points go. Without Shanny on this team (up until last night) we have ONE 20+ goal scorer on the roster. Not to mention the several shootout game winners he's delivered. And no, I wouldn't trade Shanny for Cullen if I had the opportunity to do so before the playoffs. I'm far from Shanny's biggest fan, but people who don't see his worth to this team are delusional.
maybe w/ cullen on the PP and using his speed we would have four 20 goal scorers. not to mention room an extra $2.8 mil on next years cap.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
SPG

To add to that - you do realize that this team has had trouble scoring goals pretty much all season, don't you? So the solution to that is to want our 2nd leading (and only 1 behind Drury for the lead) off the team? He has his faults, but some people completely ignore what he brings to this team.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
maybe w/ cullen on the PP and using his speed we would have four 20 goal scorers. not to mention room an extra $2.8 mil on next years cap.
Yeah, because Matt Cullen is the missing piece to this team.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree on this topic then.

Old
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
TheHotRock

spg, i think its safe to say that takes more than he brings. he's been slowing down our best offensive player for most of the season. Gomer needs someone who can keep up with him, shanny clearly can't. I'm very much in favor of flip flopping sjostrom and shanny once gomer is healthy. sjostrom is fast and plays with intensity, shanny coats far too often. Shanny on the 4ht line, pp unit, pk unit and shootout. he doesn't need more than 12 minutes a night

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote