HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scatchard skating at Rangers practice/Hossa Out with Groin Strain

Old
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
So where is all the gloating about not signing Peca now?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Peca out of the opening night lineup due to injury? If so, he wasn't the answer either.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
holy jesus I think I hate each and every one of you.

3 games, 3 games...
No one is disagreeing with you, but how else do you take this news? I'd love for Dubi to at least get a fair shot, but we know how Renney treats young players (not named Hossa) and Dubi played all of 3 mintues last night.

I just don't believe Scatchard would be here to replace an injured Hossa. Not this early in the year and with Dawed ready and availalbe.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfan30 View Post
ouch... i think that's the case of putting him on the 4th line then.
Basically the entire team sucked through 2 periods in their opener, except for Betts pretty much because he's always solid at what he does. So Renney puts him with the third line and they have a couple of good shifts.

So now Renney thinks that's a viable third line and Dubinsky shouldn't be getting any icetime over Betts, despite the fact that Betts has done nothing for that line outside of those first few shifts.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
So where is all the gloating about not signing Peca now?

The writing has been on the wall all along and is playing out exactly as predicted.

The coaches felt that Dubi wasn't quite ready for the role and needed another year of seasoning in the AHL and the NYR director of player personel outright said this would be the case and it took all of one period for Renney to solidify that opinion.

And the fact that Renney outright states that he didn't like having his wingers play out of positions as centers because it drags down the play of the would be wingers on that line but still people thought that this would be a viable option with Renney.

Peca may or may not have been the answer there but when they passed on him I said that we'd now be either trading an asset to fill the spot at some point during the season or turning to a lesser player to fill it and that's exactly what this option of Scatch is here.

Everybodies fear of having Renney have to turn to Betts to fill that spot was also easily predicted by many here and also took all of one period to become realized.

On a team trying to shoot for a Cup you don't rush people into roles they're not ready for and you don't try and bang round pegs into square holes.
I was with you on the PECA, some concern aboutDubi's readiness, as well as the high probability of still looking for a vet C later on.

But if the Rangers are bringing Scratchard in now becasue of limitations they see in DUBI, this is not about gloating. This is about the Rangers and Sather screwing the pooch in not signing Peca or signing/trading for another C. Dubi did not suddenley change..

That being said, the Rangers made the choice to go with a young C on the top 4 lines, and DUbi won the job in camp. The least the Rangers could do, before ****-canning the idea, is to actually give Dubinsky a shot. Otherwise, the move should have been made months ago..

Well see....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Peca out of the opening night lineup due to injury? If so, he wasn't the answer either.
Peca hasn't played a game in close to 11 months...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I was with you on the PECA, some concern aboutDubi's readiness, as well as the high probability of still looking for a vet C later on.

But if the Rangers are bringing Scratchard in now becasue of limitations they see in DUBI, this is not about gloating. This is about the Rangers and Sather screwing the pooch in not signing Peca or signing/trading for another C. Dubi did not suddenley change..

That being said, the Rangers made the choice to go with a young C on the top 4 lines, and DUbi won the job in camp. The least the Rangers could do, before ****-canning the idea, is to actually give Dubinsky a shot. Otherwise, the move should have been made months ago..

Well see....
3 games in the year and the Rangers made a mistake not signing Peca....

come on....Scatchard is being brought in for depth....injuries happen and the avery injury is what sparked this....

Dubinsky isn't a square peg in a round hole....peca wasn't needed....and still isn't...

Old
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
broadwayblue

I love how Dubinsky is the problem all of a sudden. How is the 3rd line center going to make Jagr or Shanny score goals, or help Gomez get assists?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

3 games

So what do we read into this. The Rangers don't have the 3rd C they are looking for. Dubi not cutting it after three games.

Too early to panic, but Scatchard is the answer?

If the top two lines were scoring, this would not be an issue.

1. Shed Cap ( bye bye Mara + for picks)

2. Send the Dolan jet to pick up Forsberg. Sign for 1 year

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Avery Gomez Shanny
Prucha Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Roll 4 lines

10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
No one is disagreeing with you, but how else do you take this news? I'd love for Dubi to at least get a fair shot, but we know how Renney treats young players (not named Hossa) and Dubi played all of 3 mintues last night.

I just don't believe Scatchard would be here to replace an injured Hossa. Not this early in the year and with Dawed ready and availalbe.
Less of a problem with the possibility of it happening and more of a problem with some peoples reasoning. If the coaches and everyone thought that Dubinsky wasn't ready, they would have sent him down and started the season with Hossa in the lineup and someone like Straka or Avery centering the third line. It's not like they had no options whatsoever except to give Dubinsky a roster spot.

Quote:

Well see....
This is pretty much the issue. I bet we wouldn't be seeing this kind of move if the Rangers were 3-0 and had played a lot better. Instead, we have a somewhat panicky Renney trying to manipulate his lineup to get it going, and doesn't want to give a rookie a shot beyond one game.

Meh, I don't really care about Scatchard or whatever. I think he's just here because of Hossa's injury (the Rangers don't have any more forwards without calling one up, and I don't think they want to call Dawes up yet). I'm just more concerned with Renney getting over his aversion to Dubinsky

Old
10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
he might be a center idk for sure thou, he played with the isles and yotes in the past, almost identical to an isbister figure.
I hope you mean in the sense that they both spent time with the Islanders and Coyotes. Aside from that- there is virtually no similarity at all. Scatchard is a warrior that squeezed everything he possibly could out of his God-given abilities (such as they are) while Isbister is the Canadian version of Oleg Kvasha... a loafer (yeah I know he throw the body around for you guys last year) who accomplished about 10% of the things he should have accomplished in the league.

Moving on... I do fear that Scatchard's better days are far far behind him.

Irregardless of what happens with Scatchard and Dubinsky, etc. I'm not quite sure I understand why you guys are in panic mode here... I'm sure this offseason if someone came up to you and said... "2 of the road games the Rangers lose this year will be in Ottawa and on Long Island"... you wouldn't have exactly been shocked.

As the great poet Axl Rose once said... a little paaaaatience...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Less of a problem with the possibility of it happening and more of a problem with some peoples reasoning. If the coaches and everyone thought that Dubinsky wasn't ready, they would have sent him down and started the season with Hossa in the lineup and someone like Straka or Avery centering the third line. It's not like they had no options whatsoever except to give Dubinsky a roster spot.

This is pretty much the issue. I bet we wouldn't be seeing this kind of move if the Rangers were 3-0 and had played a lot better. Instead, we have a somewhat panicky Renney trying to manipulate his lineup to get it going, and doesn't want to give a rookie a shot beyond one game. Meh, I don't really care about Scatchard or whatever. I think he's just here because of Hossa's injury (the Rangers don't have any more forwards without calling one up, and I don't think they want to call Dawes up yet). I'm just more concerned with Renney getting over his aversion to Dubinsky

not true...

girardi, Staal, and Callahan are all rookies...

i don't think it's an aversion to dubinsky i think dubinskys skating is an issue...

Old
10-11-2007, 11:55 AM
devilsfan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
3 games

So what do we read into this. The Rangers don't have the 3rd C they are looking for. Dubi not cutting it after three games.

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Avery Gomez Shanny
Prucha Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Roll 4 lines
wow forsberg... i'm not gonna say "same old rangers" or use that excuse... but rangers should go to their farm and find a replacement (someone like dawes) instead of signing over-the-hill players like forsberg or scatchard... those usually don't work out well

devilsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Peca hasn't played a game in close to 11 months...
Peca returned to the Columbus lineup the other day. Yes, semantics...

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
3 games in the year and the Rangers made a mistake not signing Peca....

come on....Scatchard is being brought in for depth....injuries happen and the avery injury is what sparked this....

Dubinsky isn't a square peg in a round hole....peca wasn't needed....and still isn't...
Do you know how to read? And do you know what the word "if" means?

I have no problem with the Rangers giving Dubi more time as the 3rd and 4th C. I hope the Rangers feel the same....And I hope Scrathhard is just a look-see...

But IF (I know it's a big word for you) the rangers have soured on Dubi already and this spurred an interst in Scratchard, then they messed up over the summer....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
3 games

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Avery Gomez Shanny
Prucha Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Roll 4 lines

If we want to go back in time go with this lineup.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Levitate

No, you're right that some players come in and force their way into the lineup. It's just that this is looking very similar to what they did with Dawes last year, except I feel like Dawes got a better chance than Dubinsky is getting. He got one game...ONE game, and when he didn't look like a veteran 3rd line center, he was demoted and has diminishing icetime.

If the Rangers didn't like his skating, they shouldn't have kept him up. That's all there is to it.

I don't think Dubinsky has done anything wrong, the team is just off to a slow start and he's the easiest person to sit when the coach tries to tinker with the lineup

Old
10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I love how Dubinsky is the problem all of a sudden. How is the 3rd line center going to make Jagr or Shanny score goals, or help Gomez get assists?
In case you haven't noticed, Dubinsky isn't the 3rd line center. Blair Betts is. If Scatchard is signed, its to replace Dubinsky so he can go back to Hartford and continue getting playing time. I'm not saying I like it, but that's what it's about.

The third line with Dubinsky may have looked good going forward, but they were scary in their own zone. While he's improved by leaps and bounds, Prucha isn't great in his own zone. Cally's a rookie. Dubi's a rookie and still has holes in his game. None of them are especially strong physically. That line was asking for trouble from the start, though I commend Renney for trying it. I didn't think he would.

All that said, I hate the idea of bringing in a Scatchard, and would rather allow Dubinsky learn on the fly as the 4th line center -- its not the same situation as with Dawes, Dubi's got more of a 2-way game and can grow from the fourth line. Despite everyone's whining, Betts has looked fine with Prucha and Cally so far -- that line has been more of a consistent threat than either of the top two. Just give them (and the 4th line) more ice time, instead of running your top 6 into the ground three games into the season. You can't force chemistry by playing Jagr and Shanny's lines 22+ minutes a game.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

All Im saying is its too soon to panic

but if your looking to bring in a C from outside the organization, they better do better than Scatchard

Not sure whos even available, or to be had through trade , but that'll cost assests.

Forsberg is STILL one of the best players on the planet and he is unsigned.

Ah but the foot.......

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Do you know how to read? And do you know what the word "if" means?

I have no problem with the Rangers giving Dubi more time as the 3rd and 4th C. I hope the Rangers feel the same....And I hope Scrathhard is just a look-see...

But IF (I know it's a big word for you) the rangers have soured on Dubi already and this spurred an interst in Scratchard, then they messed up over the summer....
I actually don't know how to read...it's really held me back in life...

I fail to see how it's failure to send Dubinsky down....not when it's 3 games into the season...not when they have prospects that could step in...

Scatchard might come in and play well but he is easy to cut lose...unlike Peca who if healthy and was playing poorly would probably have a longer leash...

Old
10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
That line was asking for trouble from the start, though I commend Renney for trying it. I didn't think he would.
He didn't try it. He gave them one game...actually, 2 periods, and that was it. 2 periods in which the rest of the team looked like crap.

Betts on the third line is only a consistant threat because Callahan works so hard and he and Prucha make some chances for themselves. The only thing Betts does is skate in and shoot the puck and then go play defense.

Old
10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

In a perfect world Sather would just trade Pock for Kopitar

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
What's that thing called again...oh yeah a salary cap...
Who's that defenseman riding the pine? oh yea paul mara..he actually costs 200,000 more than cullen.

save me the defensive depth is more important bs..bc oh yea there's a salary cap and keeping mara over cullen to bench mara is assinine.

Old
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Fireonk

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Prucha practicing on the first line. Scatchard skated on a line with Dubi and Orr. Which I guess means the other line is Cally/Betts/Hollweg.

Dont even know what to say to that.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
3 games

Straka Forsberg Jagr
Avery Gomez Shanny
Prucha Drury Callahan
Hollweg Betts Orr

Roll 4 lines
I know that line could be really scary if they were all 100% healthy but i doubt this would happen....now maybe if this was Jagr, Straka, and Forsberg back in their primes then this would be awesome....besides Forsberg probably wont be back until at least the all star break

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2007, 12:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I know that line could be really scary if they were all 100% healthy but i doubt this would happen....now maybe if this was Jagr, Straka, and Forsberg back in their primes then this would be awesome....besides Forsberg probably wont be back until at least the all star break
No offense, but this is the exact mentality that dominated this team from 1998-2004.

This team is fine the way it is. It just need time to gel.