HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 10/12 Washington Capitals @ New York Rangers 7PM MSG

Old
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
well to be fair to Ola,

the caps have stolen one game and they've hardly lit up the league have they???

to say they're a good side after a brief hurrah at this point is like saying the Rangers are a bad, non playoff team just beacuse they are 1-2... this is quite simply jumping the gun.
Pittsburgh is 1-2 also... So is Vancouver...

Its early.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Quote:
dont say something like that! that would give me nightmares for days!!!

Hollweg anywhere other than the 4th would be devestating!
Would you rather it be Orr? Or Strudwick?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Poti's a nerd
i cant stand Poti.

Does anyone remember what we gave up to get him from the Oils???

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Poti's a nerd
A ****ing nerd!

The youtube is gone! noooooooooOOooooooOOOooooooOOOoooo!!!

Old
10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Levitate

Mike York and a 4th rounder for Tom Poti and Rem Murray

Old
10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Mike York and a 4th rounder for Tom Poti and Rem Murray
thanks levitate,

well in the circumstances thats pretty decent. As terrible as he was we did get 1 40 point season out of him!!!

Rem Murray was a shame... feel sorry for himfor his injuries/illness..

i suppoose the balance of the deal depends on what that 4th rd pick became!

Old
10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Levitate

Funny that for years afterwards, it was the trading of York that made people so upset about the trade. Then last year he broke down into a bubble player, and people are like "meh"

Old
10-12-2007, 11:25 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Funny that for years afterwards, it was the trading of York that made people so upset about the trade. Then last year he broke down into a bubble player, and people are like "meh"
very true.

i was upset at the time, because Mike York promised to be so much more than he's turned out to be. That rookie yr he looked like he'd turn into a very good top 6 player....wonder what went wrong!!!!

Old
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Is Dawes in the lineup, tonight?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
i suppoose the balance of the deal depends on what that 4th rd pick became!
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00064515

Useless pick.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:35 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
very true.

i was upset at the time, because Mike York promised to be so much more than he's turned out to be. That rookie yr he looked like he'd turn into a very good top 6 player....wonder what went wrong!!!!

Old
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Someone asked who the Rangers top line will face, it's most likely Milan Jurcina and Shaone Morrisonn. Jurcina lines up against bigger physical players (like Jagr and Vinny from Tampa) and uses his size pretty well (he did so last year, though who knows this year).

Poti and Pothier don't play together that often. they might take a shift or two in the middle of a change, but not really frequently. They have played the points on the PP at times, but those are changing often. Poti usually plays the first Pair with Mike Green. Then Erskine and Pothier play on the 5-6.

As far as the Caps, I'm not sure what games Ola has watched because other than the last game the Caps played pretty well both of the first two. Their big problem so far has been their PP chemistry (there hasn't been much so far) though they had a questionable goal called back last game against NYI. Their problems stem from Ovechkin and a few others probably trying to make the cute play too often and not just firing the shot. The Caps dominated the Hurricanes (had it not been for Grahame's very good play it should have been more than 4 goals). Well, Atlanta's Atlanta, but the Caps carried much of the play. The Isles game didn't have the shots the Caps would've liked, but they were pretty good on defense (just not so much offense). Their PK probably will get torched tonight, but so far they've been pretty much the class of the team so far. Dave Steckel's long reach has added a new dimension. Not to mention him and Boyd Gordon on faceoffs.

Nylander has been good in 2 games and pretty much invisible in one. Kozlov has been good in all 3. Ovechkin doesn't have the eye popping numbers yet, but he has been very good on defense as well as offense.

I think the Rangers should win, but I don't think this is by any means an easy win for your team.

Edit: This year the Caps are playing a puck possession game (or at least trying to). They're trying to keep the puck away from the other team and control the time of possession. There is less dump and chase and so far it has been pretty good at it. However, they're going through some early injuries. Having no Alex Semin hurts the team a decent bit. He was supposed to be the shooting part of the Semin - Nylander - Backstrom line, but that hasn't happened with any efficiency. Not to mention, Semin was going to key the 2nd unit PP with Nylander.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Thanks for the mini scouting report Chimaera.

I dont think its as easy as saying the Rangers should win tonight though. The Caps have the confidence right now and you get that by winning games. The Rangers are in the middle of finding themselves and are on a 2 game losing streak.

Being in MSG should help and i think the Rangers PP will have to score for them to win this game.

As far as Nylander goes you hit it on the head, 2 games he was great and then 1 he was invisible. Thats pretty much what you'll get from him throughout the year even though hes good for about a point a game. Wait until the Caps use him in a shootout and you'll appreciate him even more.

I think im going to be a tiny bit sad watching Nylander play in a different uniform tonight and i really hope the Garden gives him a nice hand. Nothin earth shattering is deserved, just a "hey whats up, thanks" kind of applause.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 10-12-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old
10-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Zipster's blog has Hossa back in tonight, along with Mara. No Scratchard or Dawes. Dubi is supposed to be moving betwen 3rd & 4th line duties.

My guess is we might see Pock tomorrow night. Valley too?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
mmmmm, i'm going to get a couple of these, thank you.

Malik is going to get wrecked tonight.

We're going to hear a lot of Pruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu's tonight.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
I make it a mission everytime I'm in new york to get a McVeggie big mac, cause for some reason they don't have them upstate...

Leaving in a few, see you in 308 boyssss...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

We had Nylander for 74 games. We realize he is a bit different now, but most Caps fans realize what we've got.

Honestly, he needs Alex Semin and to build some chemistry there for us fans to expect much from him.

As far as why I say it should be a Ranger win, the team's at home, your goalie has played pretty well, and at least on paper your team is the more talented. Games aren't played on paper, but that's how it looks from here. Having said that, the Caps playing their game (and getting some quality scoring from Ovechkin or Nylander) could win even if the Rangers play well, but that is by no means a situation most Caps fans would want to chance. The Caps have some confidence (and for all the Poti taunts that will occur he has been a stud for us so far just like he was on the Isle) but if their powerplay doesn't contribute (like they haven't so far this year) I find it hard to be optimistic in this game. You have to get Powerplay goals to win games in this league.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Their problems stem from Ovechkin and a few others probably trying to make the cute play too often and not just firing the shot.
Ah yes, "Nylander-itis". Already spreading, huh?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Pizza

Looking for the Rangers to begin connecting some of the dots on offense tonight.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Ola

Quote:
Someone asked who the Rangers top line will face, it's most likely Milan Jurcina and Shaone Morrisonn. Jurcina lines up against bigger physical players (like Jagr and Vinny from Tampa) and uses his size pretty well (he did so last year, though who knows this year).

Poti and Pothier don't play together that often. they might take a shift or two in the middle of a change, but not really frequently. They have played the points on the PP at times, but those are changing often. Poti usually plays the first Pair with Mike Green. Then Erskine and Pothier play on the 5-6.

As far as the Caps, I'm not sure what games Ola has watched because other than the last game the Caps played pretty well both of the first two. Their big problem so far has been their PP chemistry (there hasn't been much so far) though they had a questionable goal called back last game against NYI. Their problems stem from Ovechkin and a few others probably trying to make the cute play too often and not just firing the shot. The Caps dominated the Hurricanes (had it not been for Grahame's very good play it should have been more than 4 goals). Well, Atlanta's Atlanta, but the Caps carried much of the play. The Isles game didn't have the shots the Caps would've liked, but they were pretty good on defense (just not so much offense). Their PK probably will get torched tonight, but so far they've been pretty much the class of the team so far. Dave Steckel's long reach has added a new dimension. Not to mention him and Boyd Gordon on faceoffs.

Nylander has been good in 2 games and pretty much invisible in one. Kozlov has been good in all 3. Ovechkin doesn't have the eye popping numbers yet, but he has been very good on defense as well as offense.

I think the Rangers should win, but I don't think this is by any means an easy win for your team.

Edit: This year the Caps are playing a puck possession game (or at least trying to). They're trying to keep the puck away from the other team and control the time of possession. There is less dump and chase and so far it has been pretty good at it. However, they're going through some early injuries. Having no Alex Semin hurts the team a decent bit. He was supposed to be the shooting part of the Semin - Nylander - Backstrom line, but that hasn't happened with any efficiency. Not to mention, Semin was going to key the 2nd unit PP with Nylander.
Ok, you changed my mind. We don't got a shot tonight, we should be glad if we only loose by 6 goals. The Caps will go 82-0 this season.

I also change my mind on how I think the Caps have looked this season. They have been extremely dominating in all 3 games. The fact that NYI outshot them 32-12 was very misleading. Capitlas didn't have many avg shift that night, they all where super great.

The caps is also allot better then teams like Ottawa and Detroit. Its extremely impressive by them to beat Atlanta, NYI and Carolina -- all by small margins, that was just misleading too.

And I appologise for not mentioning David Steckel, for a trained eye he might look like someone who can't skate if his life depended on it; though he really is the 2nd comming of Mario Lemiuxe.

Also, its a modern belief that special teams is 50% of the game today, many would say that a team without a good PP can't be a good team these days; thats wrong when it comes the the Caps. They overcome that by beeing the best 5 on 5 team ever in the histroy of the league.

I earlier gave the impression that Jurcina and Morrissonn only are two D's with capacity to put Caps in the PO's race, I was wrong about that too. Both are mixes of Ray Bourque and Slava Fetisov. Or, a mix Fetisov and Bourque could be said to be a poor mans Milan Jurcina.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Levitate

Quote:
As far as why I say it should be a Ranger win, the team's at home, your goalie has played pretty well, and at least on paper your team is the more talented. Games aren't played on paper, but that's how it looks from here. Having said that, the Caps playing their game (and getting some quality scoring from Ovechkin or Nylander) could win even if the Rangers play well, but that is by no means a situation most Caps fans would want to chance. The Caps have some confidence (and for all the Poti taunts that will occur he has been a stud for us so far just like he was on the Isle) but if their powerplay doesn't contribute (like they haven't so far this year) I find it hard to be optimistic in this game. You have to get Powerplay goals to win games in this league.
I'd say that the things in the Rangers favor are that they've been playing better each game and that even against Ottawa, they could at least skate with that team. That, and Lundqvist.

I think the Caps will be like a more skilled Islanders team, so the Rangers have to take the next step from their previous game and actually put the puck in the net this time.

Old
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Looks like Prucha is NOT going to be on the 1st line tonight

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Quote:
The Rangers take on the 3-0 Washington Ovechkins tonight at the Garden. Marcel Hossa and Paul Mara will be back on the ice, Hossa back with Jaromir Jagr, Mara back with Marc Staal as Jason Strudwick sits. Renney also told Blue Notes that Dubinsky would see some time on the third line.
Dubi on the third? At Center i hope.

Old
10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
No no no.

Whats consistency for you? They have had like a handful of great shifts per game, and the rest have been avg.

They have won the games, and deserves props for it. They have not played the style of a last overall team. And deserves props for that too.

I don't think there is any chance that team will challenge any of the top 5-6 teams in the east in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Are you sure you've been watching the Caps? You know they changed their uniform, right? I just want to make sure you're not mistaking them for a different team .
I am sorry for all this. I must have watched the wrong team. The Caps is a lock to be a top 3 team in the east.

I have to thanks Chimera for setting me straight...

Like I said, if we only loose by 7-1 tonight I am extremely happy.

Heck, notice that I even threw in that I didn't expect them to be a top 5 team in the long run.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am sorry for all this. I must have watched the wrong team. The Caps is a lock to be a top 3 team in the east.

I have to thanks Chimera for setting me straight...

Like I said, if we only loose by 7-1 tonight I am extremely happy.

Heck, notice that I even threw in that I didn't expect them to be a top 5 team in the long run.
Holy overreaction buddy, nobody's planning the parade in D.C., but the truth is they have looked good most of the time, and great at times.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

Dubi on the third? At Center i hope.
I was really hoping to see Prucha on the 1st line. Oh well. At least Mara is back in the lineup.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote