HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Rajala & Pulkkinen

Old
12-07-2007, 01:25 PM
PuckheadMcGillycuddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Is that list for all skaters or European? Is it available online somewhere?
That's all skaters, not just Euros. Available for purchase through ISS.

http://www.isshockey.com/monthlynhlguide.asp

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckheadMcGillycuddy View Post
The latest ISS has Rajala ranked No. 14 for 2009, but he isn't even the highest-ranked Finnish forward. C Joonas Nattinen is No. 12. D Tommi Kivisto is No. 17, F Jere Sallinen is No. 46, D Nico Manuelius is No. 50, and Eric Haula isn't even in the top 50.

Their comments on Rajala: "Rajala showed an up and down performance scoring a spectacular goal beating a few players with almost invisible presence. Skillful skater with quick hands who makes right decisions with the puck. We need to see more consistency and hard work on nightly basis."
Seems like they haven't seen much of finnish games if at all. Nättinen haven't done "anything" in A-juniors(5 games and 1point) while Rajala has over 1PPG. Pulkkinen has better point ratio in B-juniors than Nättinen, etc. So far Joni Karjalainen has been a lot better than Nättinen in A-juniors as well. So I wouldn't call that list too accurate when it comes to finnish players.

Anyways I do agree mostly about Rajala, BUT he does work hard every night(which ~10 games I have seen this season, etc.). Problem is consistency and starting up the game down own end. But as mentioned he is 2-4y younger than other players so it's hard for so young to bring A-game every night.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
FinProspects

Quote:
The latest ISS has Rajala ranked No. 14 for 2009, but he isn't even the highest-ranked Finnish forward. C Joonas Nattinen is No. 12. D Tommi Kivisto is No. 17, F Jere Sallinen is No. 46, D Nico Manuelius is No. 50, and Eric Haula isn't even in the top 50.

Their comments on Rajala: "Rajala showed an up and down performance scoring a spectacular goal beating a few players with almost invisible presence. Skillful skater with quick hands who makes right decisions with the puck. We need to see more consistency and hard work on nightly basis."

Pulkkinen, on the other hand, they rave about: "Talent way beyond his years, is 92 born, could be playing with U20 team, has a Crosby skill set, extremely strong on puck, carries the play, dictates the pace, great shot – hard and accurate, very quick release, always in motion, sees the ice at a professional level, decent size, in great shape, doesn’t quit, deceptively fast, great agility, makes defenders look like they have never skated before, seems to love being on the ice and in the game, cheers for every goal, did struggle somewhat in the defensive zone 5 on 5."
Was Rajala's scouting report based on his performance in the U-18 tournament in USA about a month ago? Pulkkinen's scouting report is pretty amazing read. But you know, he has dominated in a ridicilous way in every league/tournament he has played. A little recap of his junior stats this far:
2006-2007 C-juniors: 28 games, 101 points
U-16 tournament (for 91-borns, 3 games vs. Sweden) 3 3+2=5
2007-2008 B-juniors: 10 games, 19 points
U-16 tournament (3 games vs Germany) 2 1+4=5
Statswise he is ahead Rajala, and hopefully they let him play in Finlands U-18 team and in Jokerit A-juniors, because he really is THAT good.

FinProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
Statswise he is ahead Rajala, and hopefully they let him play in Finlands U-18 team and in Jokerit A-juniors, because he really is THAT good.
Yeah, but prolly not before next year(A-juniors that's). He would pair with Rajala nicely in U-18 level I think. I hope Pulkkinen can progress well and not laying too much on his physical attributes. I have too much finnish prospects in my mind who have been dominating juniors with physical attributes and when it comes to seniors...well every1 knows what happens. Will be checking him as well next month(and year).

Old
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Kiraly

Quote:
That's all skaters, not just Euros. Available for purchase through ISS.

http://www.isshockey.com/monthlynhlguide.asp
Do they have a ranking of draft eligible players for 2010?

Kiraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Yeah, but prolly not before next year(A-juniors that's). He would pair with Rajala nicely in U-18 level I think. I hope Pulkkinen can progress well and not laying too much on his physical attributes. I have too much finnish prospects in my mind who have been dominating juniors with physical attributes and when it comes to seniors...well every1 knows what happens. Will be checking him as well next month(and year).
But bear in mind that Pulkkinen isn't that big compared to the opposing players (178/78), It's not like he's another Jesse Joensuu or Jani Rita.

And in case you didn't know, ISS is headed by Göran Stubb (atleast for Europe) so I'd imagine they have Finland scouted fairly well.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
FinProspects

Quote:
Seems like they haven't seen much of finnish games if at all. Nättinen haven't done "anything" in A-juniors(5 games and 1point) while Rajala has over 1PPG. Pulkkinen has better point ratio in B-juniors than Nättinen, etc. So far Joni Karjalainen has been a lot better than Nättinen in A-juniors as well. So I wouldn't call that list too accurate when it comes to finnish players.

Anyways I do agree mostly about Rajala, BUT he does work hard every night(which ~10 games I have seen this season, etc.). Problem is consistency and starting up the game down own end. But as mentioned he is 2-4y younger than other players so it's hard for so young to bring A-game every night.
I really think, that Nättinen's, Rajala's and others scoucting report was based on that U-18 tournament, where for example Nättinen scored 5 points in 3 games or so. As you pointed out, Rajala plays against 2-4 year older players. His stats this year in A-juniors are better than Koivu's or Selanne's when they where in the same age playing the same league, that is quite accomplishment already. And if I have understood correctly, Rajala isnt even playing power play in A-juniors, he plays mostly in the third line. And to think, that Pulkkinen is even better.. Pretty exciting times for Finnish hockey fans.

Old
12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Joretus

Quote:
But bear in mind that Pulkkinen isn't that big compared to the opposing players (178/78), It's not like he's another Jesse Joensuu or Jani Rita.

And in case you didn't know, ISS is headed by Göran Stubb (atleast for Europe) so I'd imagine they have Finland scouted fairly well.
Yeah, it was mostly about his junior years before B-juniors and that he has speed as another top notch attribute. I'm all for rooting him being superstar, but just hoping he isn't turning one dimensional players as too many of our prospects are.

And as I did say about Rajala it was mostly spot on, but I'm not just agreeing about him not working hard every night. Or then I have just seen all those nights which he has working hard. But placing finns seemed just odd. Since as mentioned Nättinen hasn't been good in A-juniors and worse than Pulkkinen in B-juniors(being one year older). Rajala had same kind of PPG last year in B-juniors than Nättinen has this year. So surely I wouldn't place him with any kind of category above Rajala. And as mentioned missing Karjalainen...well...

Quote:
I really think, that Nättinen's, Rajala's and others scoucting report was based on that U-18 tournament, where for example Nättinen scored 5 points in 3 games or so. As you pointed out, Rajala plays against 2-4 year older players. His stats this year in A-juniors are better than Koivu's or Selanne's when they where in the same age playing the same league, that is quite accomplishment already. And if I have understood correctly, Rajala isnt even playing power play in A-juniors, he plays mostly in the third line. And to think, that Pulkkinen is even better.. Pretty exciting times for Finnish hockey fans.
Yeah I think so too. And I'm just rooting for Rajala&Pulkkinen both getting better, for me it will be same who will be better in the end. Hope we'll get finally some superstars from Finland(seems like last ones in NHL are getting old).

Old
12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Yeah, it was mostly about his junior years before B-juniors and that he has speed as another top notch attribute. I'm all for rooting him being superstar, but just hoping he isn't turning one dimensional players as too many of our prospects are.
Well that scouting report and his stats (fairly equal goals/assists ratios) indicate that he's anything but one-dimensional.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
FinProspects

Quote:
Yep, we sure do remember Jani Rita, Teemu Laine or Eero Somervuori. I have seen Pulkkinen only twice, so I really cant say much about his play, but he was really good, scoring a hat-trick on the other game. I think that the most critical phase is the jump from A-juniors to Sm-league, juniors shouldnt be rushed to the mens league.
I remember when Rita, Laine and Somervuori played in Jokerit, on the 3rd or 4th line max 10 minutes per game, when they were about 18-19years old. And what happened? Their progression almost stopped. Rita left to AHL and played some games in the NHL, Somervuori to HPK and then to AHL. Laine stayed in Jokerit, but eventually left to Tappara and he plays now in TPS. Not the Nhl-calibre players they were projected to be.. We will see how it goes with Pulkkinen...

Old
12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Well that scouting report and his stats (fairly equal goals/assists ratios) indicate that he's anything but one-dimensional.
Well so would have suggested N.Hagman stats as well(in juniors). And I mean one dimensional-->not using all possible skillsets and getting vision, flair, creativity all those areas at best possible as well. As you can see there isn't too much finns having good flair in NHL.

And as I did say, I hope it continues, but I have seen a lot of finns getting success in juniors, but in seniors...

So I'm just worried, but same time of course hoping the best. Same goes for Rajala as well, but I have seen him a lot more so it's easier for me to see problems so don't have to mention about those more than before.

I'll be seeing next time Pulkkinen in a bit over month I hope. So will be commenting more then about him. So far I'm just worrying

Old
12-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Phenomenon

Quote:
I think that the most critical phase is the jump from A-juniors to Sm-league, juniors shouldnt be rushed to the mens league.
These prospects should play in that league where they are able to be core players of their team and get enough icetime. 1-2 years with minimun icetime can ruin the progress totally, if there is not enough extra game practise and training tailored to each prospect. The move to the SM league should not be made until the player is capable of playing in a big role suitable for his career development.

I also think that game and travel oriented AHL is not the best option. Lots of repetation and daily practise are of crucial importance for young players.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
These prospects should play in that league where they are able to be core players of their team and get enough icetime. 1-2 years with minimun icetime can ruin the progress totally, if there is not enough extra game practise and training tailored to each prospect. The move to the SM league should not be made until the player is capable of playing in a big role suitable for his career development.

I also think that game and travel oriented AHL is not the best option. Lots of repetation and daily practise are of crucial importance for young players.
I totally agree. Rajala could skillwise already play with mens at least next season. But if he don't get good icetime(and he prolly wouldn't since his small size etc.) I hope he will be playing next season with A-juniors as well. Maybe Ilves will give him next year more PP, etc. Since this season he has played in "3rd line" normal 5on5 and PP as well. He could handle more load and I think it would be good in a long run.

Old
12-10-2007, 05:23 AM
FinProspects

Rajala

Some comments on his play, after seeing couple games:
Skating: Looks almost identical to Saku Koivu's imo. Seems very effortless, very smooth. In the last game he rocketed past defenseman very easily and passed the puck to Sointu who scored. Fast, smooth, effortless skater.
Shooting: Has good wrist shot/snap shot, uses it well on 1-on-1 situations.
General play: Played on the third line. Plays along team system, doesnt flow in the neutral zone when the other team has the puck, defends like the others, doesnt do tricks in own zone. Isnt a physical player (obviously), but with his speed is very good forechecker. Is very dangerous when he gets the puck in neutral zone in good speed.
Its really pity, that he doesnt get that much of ice time. There were shifts when the whole line didnt even touch the puck. And no PP or SH time. Would be interesting to see him in bigger role, in the first offensive line and PP line. The talent was obvious, especially in skating and puckhandling.

Old
12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Endo

So, the World Hockey Challenge started, and Finland won Team Quebec 8-5. Pulkkinen scored hattrick and Rajala 2 goals. Haula had 3-point night (1+2), Mikael Aaltonen gave 3 assists. Donskoi & Granlund 0+0.

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo View Post
Donskoi & Granlund 0+0.
A bit different stats in different sites:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm...me_id/1346.htm
states that granlund got an assist to Finland's third goal.

Finhockey states that he didn't:
http://www.finhockey.fi/taustasivut/...to/?num=340998

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Endo

Maybe it's time for a quick update:

Toni Rajala A-Juniors 25gp - 10g + 18a = 28pts.
Teemu Pulkkinen B-Juniors 15gp - 16g + 11a = 27pts.

I'd say that it's looking pretty good.

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Rajala puting up those numbers in Jr A with players TWO years older than him is amazing. There is nothing that hasent' been said about Teemu Pulkkinen that even scratches how good he is doing.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
Rajala puting up those numbers in Jr A with players TWO years older than him is amazing. There is nothing that hasent' been said about Teemu Pulkkinen that even scratches how good he is doing.
Not just two years older, there's 88s and even a few 87s (I think every team is allowed a few overagers) playing in that Jr A league as well. Although those who play junior at that age aren't exactly the most talented players, they're still 3-4 years ahead of Rajala in developement, especially physically.

At least the top 5 in scoring in Jr A are all 88s (the one who leads D-men in scoring is an 87, but he's listed on the team roster as a forward so I don't really understand how he can lead D-men in scoring... unless he's a forward who's been forced to play D this season). 87s don't usually play full seasons as they're loaned to lower division teams or called up to league teams. But still, 88s are 3 years older than a 91, not 2.

Last edited by Panopticon: 01-24-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Joretus

Rajala got invation to U-18 5 teams tournament in Finland. Czech, USA, Sweden, Russia ja Finland playing over there. I guess the team is quite close to final U-18 team to U-18 WJC's. Could tested Pulkkinen, but maybe next years U-18 WJC Finland will feature line with Rajala&Pulkkinen, that could be really dominant line:

http://80.248.243.180/cgi-bin/08_kau...&TIG=55&BIND=0

And yes, junior A is mostly 2-3y older, there is just few -90 and Rajala being only effective -91 forward with Joni Karjalainen in junior A.

Old
02-14-2008, 04:08 AM
nahkasapeli

Here are couple photos of Toni Rajala from the Ilves Sanomat. Sorry about the poor quality of the scans...

nahkasapeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 04:26 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Not just two years older, there's 88s and even a few 87s (I think every team is allowed a few overagers) playing in that Jr A league as well. Although those who play junior at that age aren't exactly the most talented players, they're still 3-4 years ahead of Rajala in developement, especially physically.

At least the top 5 in scoring in Jr A are all 88s..
WHat are the numbers of such leaders?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
WHat are the numbers of such leaders?
http://217.119.39.82/cgi-bin/08_kaus...RDER=SL&SHOW=0

There is just one -90 ahead of Rajala(-91) who is Matias Sointu being 8th. Rest of guys are couple of -89's, mostly -88's and couple of -87's. So mostly guys ahead of Rajala are 3 years older.