HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Which Orginal 6 team will win a cup in the next 10 years?

View Poll Results: Which Orginal 6 team will win a cup in the next 10 years?
Montreal 46 19.74%
New York 70 30.04%
Toronto 19 8.15%
Chicago 28 12.02%
Boston 28 12.02%
Detroit 122 52.36%
None 20 8.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
amnesiac*

vCash: 500
I dont understand why youre all so big on Detroit. Lidstrom will be retiring in the next couple years, and they dont have THAT much promising youth. Jimmy Howard hasnt proved anything at the NHL level yet, either.

This poll is basically a big crapshoot. Boston could be selecing top picks over the next several seasons and theyll resemble what the Pens and Sens have done in the past 10 years.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Sportacus
:)

In order:

None

10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

I'm going with Detroit , coz we can't count them out, never .
My second choice is MTL , they have good youngs players and they will be dangerous in 2-3 years from now .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Gotta be tough being a Bruins fan.

Chara wasn't an answer.

Savard wasn't an answer.

Fernandez is no answer.

Meanwhile, Thornton puts up mvp-like numbers on the other side of the continent.

Booooooo....

Yeah, who would want a core of Centers including Bergeron, Kessel, and Krejci, all 22 years and under leading your team into the future. That doesn't count the back-to-back 95+ point getter, the consensus #2 Goalie prospect in the world, and the Norris candidate Defenseman who can finally play the way he wants to now that he's off Dave Lewis' leash.

What a sad state of affairs in Boston indeed...

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 09:40 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
Yeah, who would want a core of Centers including Bergeron, Kessel, and Krejci, all 22 years and under leading your team into the future. That doesn't count the back-to-back 95+ point getter, the consensus #2 Goalie prospect in the world, and the Norris candidate Defenseman who can finally play the way he wants to now that he's off Dave Lewis' leash.

What a sad state of affairs in Boston indeed...
What he was trying to say I think was all these star players/impact players ARE good, but they didnt unlock the playoffs.

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOftheRAT View Post
What he was trying to say I think was all these star players/impact players ARE good, but they didnt unlock the playoffs.
Yes, but when your best player is 22 years old, and you have all the assests I mentioned previously, you are by no means in terrible shape for the next 10 years.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
John Flyers Fan

I went with none.

The Rangers and Wings both have short windows right now (2 years).

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:30 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Chicago is going to be better than Pittsburgh in 2 years IMO. It's the goaltending, though.

TheDanceOfMaternity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2007, 11:50 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I say Detroit have a 2-3 year window then they will struggle. Boston and Montreal have potential franchise goalies so I believe they have great chances. Chicago has a great young offensive core so they have a fair chance as well and New York also has a great team and could win it in the next 5 years IMO. Toronto...well they might have some youth but compared to the others they're not as good.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:14 PM
fcpremix88

None.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:16 PM
God
Free Citizen

Montreal

Look at their prospect pool @_@

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:50 PM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Detroit is always the best bet.

David McConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Phousse

Is this a 'vote for your favourite team' poll?

I voted Montreal because according to Hab Land, it's pretty much a given that they win in 2008-09.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 11:32 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

New York Rangers.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 01:51 AM
SammyTheBull

Hawks

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Epoch

Toronto

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 06:26 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
I dont understand why youre all so big on Detroit. Lidstrom will be retiring in the next couple years, and they dont have THAT much promising youth. Jimmy Howard hasnt proved anything at the NHL level yet, either.

This poll is basically a big crapshoot. Boston could be selecing top picks over the next several seasons and theyll resemble what the Pens and Sens have done in the past 10 years.
Howard has proven more in the NHL than Carey Price and Tuuka Rask combined. Yet you pick Montreal and Boston as most likely to win in the next ten years based on them?

It's completely pointless to project what will happen in a few years. Detroit is among the top two or three favorites to win the Stanley Cup in the next two years.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 07:20 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Gotta be tough being a Bruins fan.

Chara wasn't an answer.

Savard wasn't an answer.

Fernandez is no answer.

Meanwhile, Thornton puts up mvp-like numbers on the other side of the continent.

Booooooo....
Actually it has been quite enjoyable so far this year, thanks to the kids, namely the Lucic-Krejci-Kessel line, which is a joy to watch.
And they are in second place in the division after a 5 game west coast road trip.
Pretty darn satisfying start to the season, and no matter where they finish in the standings, they are showing the kind of passion that the Bruins always used to display, this is a completely different team from last year. It seems that the main problem the Bruins had to deal with was that Dave Lewis' system, or lack there of, really hurt the Bruins last year.
I am not saying they are a contender, just that they sure are fun to watch again.
So, in short, it's pretty easy to be a Bruins fan, we want to see a lot of heart from the players, so far, they have shown enough for two teams.
The Bruins are Back!

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
Chicago is going to be better than Pittsburgh in 2 years IMO. It's the goaltending, though.
I'm not sure about being better than Pittsburgh. If Chicago's major prospects pan out as expected then they will have a very good bunch of forwards and a sold/good defensive core. The goaltending is a major problem though. Khabby has been amazing so far this season and is signed until 09/10 so if he can keep it up Chicago may end up resigning him. If that doesn't happen then Chicago have a number of solid goalie prospects but none seem to have the potential to be an above average NHL starter but hopefully one of them will surprise.

Zim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Montreal and Boston have best potential goalies. So Id go with one of them.
Did you forget Henrik Lundqvist?

Call me when Price and Rask Vezina candidates in their first two seasons and they have to go up against the likes of Broduer, Luongo and Kipper in these two years.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Chicago, Detroit, or New York. Chicago is almost a playoff team, and they are still ridiculously young.
As is Boston and Tuukka Rask will be the starter in the next 10 years.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Riffo*

The Hawks and the Bruins have by far the best prospects, while Detroit will be in trouble once Lidstrom and Hasek retire within 3-4 years as great as Dats and Z are. The Rangers have 2 great goalies but have their hands tied with the contracts given to Drury and Gomez.

Montreal and Toronto will lack in the offense department.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
STA

WAYYYY to early to say.

Ask me in ten years, then I can give you a good answer.

STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I went with Detroit, and only Detroit.

The Rangers have a top-level goalie, but overpaid for both Drury & Gomez (IMHO) and still have question marks on D. They might be Cup contenders in the long haul, but I have my doubts with the way the team is currently configured.

Montreal, Chicago & Boston all have young players that are still a few years away, so might be real contenders in the last-half of this "predict the next 10 years" poll, but prospects don't always pan out.

Toronto ... I just don't see it happening. Sorry, Leafs fans.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 02:36 AM
EmptyNetter

I voted Detroit and Boston, mostly on the strength of their GM's.

Detroit, because I think Ken Holland is an extraordinary GM and between his scouting system, the number of FA's Detroit can attract and the great mix of veteran talent and promising youth means they can stay competitive for awhile.

Boston, because I'm a bit biased. But also the culture is changing for the better under Peter Chiarelli. They've finally got a feeder system in place -- great AHL coach and (thank God!) an NHL coach in Claud Julien who's not afraid to put his youth in key positions -- and a very shrewd scouting department. Also, they've been signing their pending UFA's rather than balking at salary requests. If Rask becomes the goaltender he's projected to be the Bruins could be scary good in a few years.

Chicago's got a big question mark on their future. They've had the best draft position of all the top 6 teams but there's no great history of developing the talent. Now that Bill Wirtz has been laid to rest Dale Tallon can change things for the better.

I'll admit I don't know much about the Rangers' system. They appear to have good organizational depth and Cherepanov could be a key to their future success if he develops properly. With large contracts given to Gomez and Drury the team may be strapped for cap space for awhile so they'll rely more heavily on their farm system. Sather stocked up heavily on the 1st round picks a few years ago. How many of his draftees will become NHL contributors? Glen Sather hot his Rangers to the 1st and second round of the playoffs in consecutive years but does he have what it takes to go all the way?

IMO Montreal and Toronto have a similar problem -- they've had good enough regular seasons that they've been stuck with mid-round draft picks. Both have blue chip goaltenders maturing to NHL status. The difference is that I have much more faith in Bob Gainey's abilities than in John Ferguson's.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote