HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackman - OK I've had enough

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2004, 01:24 PM
wasting time

vCash: 500
Jackman - OK I've had enough

For the record - regulars on this board know how I was a fan of Jackman and figured he needed the reps to show his game.

I was wrong.

I do not think he will ever develop his defensive game, or at least should not in Toronto. He is welcome to give it a shot elsewhere. Certainly not in the playoffs this year.

If JF has a player on the roster whom he would not allow to play in a playoff game, then that player might as well go away now.

My list:
Ric Jackman
Trevor Kidd

Old
01-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Charge_Seven

Jackman

Id say that's a bit harsh, Jackman has shown good play on occasion, and I agree he should probably hone his skills somewhere less "success oriented" maybe Pittsburgh or somewhere like that. I don't think that Jackman is a player to toss away for nothing though, unless it's a pick within the first 5 rounds, or a trade deadline pick up, then I would jsut sit on him...if McCabe, Kaberle, Berg, Klee get injured, we will need him ;-) lol

Old
01-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Verbal Kint*

My List: Jackman

Kidd can play well when he's on his game, don't be dissrespecting him. He's had some bad games this season but he's had some amazing ones as well.

As for Jackman. Does anyone remember the first 5 games or so of the season? The guy was playing like he belonged. He took the right chances, shot the puck well, had his man's number the whole game. And then he collapsed. I'd like to give the guy another shot but I don't think its really worth it.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:37 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Id say that's a bit harsh, Jackman has shown good play on occasion, and I agree he should probably hone his skills somewhere less "success oriented" maybe Pittsburgh or somewhere like that. I don't think that Jackman is a player to toss away for nothing though, unless it's a pick within the first 5 rounds, or a trade deadline pick up, then I would jsut sit on him...if McCabe, Kaberle, Berg, Klee get injured, we will need him ;-) lol
I agree don't toss him away. I have said before that he is the kind of player that can be a good one on a bad team.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
At the start of this year I was really happy and pulling for Jackman and you can even throw in last but ever since we got past the 10 games mark of the season he has been abysmal. I would go as far as to say he's the worst positional defensemen in the league and that's saying a lot with some of these offensive D-men these days. He's physical but he's stupid and it's killing him because he's going out of his way to be physical and it's driving me crazy!

Old
01-11-2004, 02:21 PM
McFly

I feel bad for Jackman because he had great expectations being a 5th overall pick, and now he's on the verge of losing his career for good.

I don't think he has the talent to be good enough defensively to remain a top 4 dman in the NHL. He goes out of his way to impress people, which is making things worse. He gets caught running around much too often, which is sometimes the result of trying too hard. He needs to improve his ability to read the play as well as getting himself under control. I'm sure he has some good offensive skill in him, but his play in the other end will eventually be the end of his career if he doesn't soon make major improvements.

Old
01-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quinn said Hedin IS playing on tuesday, and if Pilar is scratched instead of Jackman then..............

Last edited by Pinto: 01-11-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old
01-11-2004, 02:26 PM
McFly

Another note on Jackman...

I think for his own good, he'd be a perfect fit on a team like Columbus or Chicago. He can have an opportunity to play with weak teams, where mistakes aren't magnified nearly as much as in Toronto. He would be higher on the depth chart, and I think the added responsibilty combined with the low scrutiny of playing for teams such as CLB or CHI would help his confidence. There's no way playing for the Leafs will help this guy improve and save his hockey future. He needs a fresh start in a market where nobody will care like Toronto.

Old
01-11-2004, 04:37 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Kidd is our back up goalie and Jackman is good depth

Keep them around

Old
01-11-2004, 04:47 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Quinn said Hedin IS playing on tuesday, and if Pilar is sracthed instead of Jackman then..............

Old
01-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
I don't think he has the talent to be good enough defensively to remain a top 4 dman in the NHL. He goes out of his way to impress people, which is making things worse. He gets caught running around much too often, which is sometimes the result of trying too hard. He needs to improve his ability to read the play as well as getting himself under control. I'm sure he has some good offensive skill in him, but his play in the other end will eventually be the end of his career if he doesn't soon make major improvements.
I disagree with the talent assessment. When I watch him casually handle the puck, stickhandle up the ice, shoot the puck, make a pass, skate and check, I see someone with a lot of physical tools. I think this guy is very talented. He's mobile, good with the puck, big and can play mean. The main problem is he either doesn't have the mental capacity to learn the defensive position at a high level of competition, or he hasn't had enough playing time to develop it, or maybe it's a combination of factors. We were very patient with Bryan McCabe. Same with Aki Berg, and he's rounding out to be a decent defenseman. We were very patient with Dmitri Yushkevich, and he went from liability to rock. I'm not saying Jackman will turn out to be anything, but I wouldn't throw him away just yet.

Old
01-11-2004, 05:34 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we need somebody to fill kaberle's shoes

come on hedin !

Old
01-11-2004, 05:40 PM
rtafts

Send a message via MSN to rtafts
I think that Pilar should be scratched. I saw the Devils' game, he was AWFUL.

Old
01-11-2004, 05:41 PM
leafaholix*

I find it odd how Quinn plays a defensive defenseman (Jackman) over an offensive defenseman (Hedin) against the New Jersey Devils!

Old
01-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
I find it odd how Quinn plays a defensive defenseman (Jackman) over an offensive defenseman (Hedin) against the New Jersey Devils!
Well, Jackman is further up the depth chart than Hedin, and has seen a lot more action in the big leagues. Anyway I think you're right. An offensive defenseman would have been very helpful against New Jersey. An Oleg Tverdovsky would look pretty nice..

Old
01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont know whats happened to pilar
i still take him over jackman tho

Old
01-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i dont know whats happened to pilar
i still take him over jackman tho
he hasn't been that bad, looks like he needs some conditioning though

Old
01-11-2004, 06:39 PM
leafaholix*

He needs a rest. (Pilar)

Old
01-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
He needs a rest. (Pilar)
Who's going to play for him?

Old
01-11-2004, 07:16 PM
leafaholix*

Hideen.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:12 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
For the record - regulars on this board know how I was a fan of Jackman and figured he needed the reps to show his game.

I was wrong.

I do not think he will ever develop his defensive game, or at least should not in Toronto. He is welcome to give it a shot elsewhere. Certainly not in the playoffs this year.

If JF has a player on the roster whom he would not allow to play in a playoff game, then that player might as well go away now.

My list:
Ric Jackman
Trevor Kidd
Are you the poster that claimed Jackman deserved a spot on Team Canada's Olympic squad earlier this season?

Old
01-11-2004, 10:39 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
just had to look it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Ric Jackman - 27 minutes. He is in the #1 pairing with Thomas Kaberle.

[snip]

First, as I have said before, Ric Jackman has the talent and ability to be as good as Ed Jovanovski. And I think he will get there - especially if Quinn keeps handling him like he has so far this year. Jackman just needs minutes and the confidence to know that he can play his game without getting benched for making mistakes. His game is an aggressive, attacking, nasty style of play. In order to play that style he needs to be "outside of himself." He can't play a guarded low-risk game. Guys like him have huge upside . He is a thoroughbred. But thoroughbreds need to be handled very gingerly in the brain department - they are high strung and can easily blow up (did you see him get pissed and smash his stick because of his forward, Sundin/Antropov, for not back checking and giving up the short-handed goal against Montreal?).

At this stage I would never trade this guy. I like his upside even higher than a guy like Eric Brewer. I knew we had something special last year in the pre-season and I am dying to watch him play every single game.

I am confident that this guy will play for Team Canada in the World Cup or Olympics within the next 3 years. After the game Quinn talked about Jackman and it was great for me to hear Quinn talk about how Jackman is in a very critical time for his confidence development - Quinn knows what he is doing. I think when McCabe returns Jackman will stay with Kaberle and McCabe will be paired with Klee - unless Jackman blows a tire - which with a thoroughbred - you never know...
Good Freakin Lord.
I know we're all wrong once in a while, but this was so over the top i dont think i could forget it if i tried.

Old
01-12-2004, 06:30 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I disagree with the talent assessment. When I watch him casually handle the puck, stickhandle up the ice, shoot the puck, make a pass, skate and check, I see someone with a lot of physical tools. I think this guy is very talented. He's mobile, good with the puck, big and can play mean. The main problem is he either doesn't have the mental capacity to learn the defensive position at a high level of competition, or he hasn't had enough playing time to develop it, or maybe it's a combination of factors. We were very patient with Bryan McCabe. Same with Aki Berg, and he's rounding out to be a decent defenseman. We were very patient with Dmitri Yushkevich, and he went from liability to rock. I'm not saying Jackman will turn out to be anything, but I wouldn't throw him away just yet.
I agree with this assessment. He has raw tools but has not learned how to play within himself.

Old
01-12-2004, 06:37 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Good Freakin Lord.
I know we're all wrong once in a while, but this was so over the top i dont think i could forget it if i tried.
Yah, I know.

What I saw in him last year and the beginning of this year was:
* a talented guy with a good shot, good skating, and an aggressive streak. He was a guy with a bad history and I wanted to believe that this was all behind him to let his talent rise.

What has happened was:
* he faded big time, does not play tough defensively at the right times, and while he does not make many puck mistakes, he makes bad decisions when the intensity of the play picks up.

He just does not seem to play within himself. He tries to build his offensive talents on a positional house of cards.

I am very surprised obviously. And disappointed. Jackman has real talent, but maybe not the head to go with the game. It is tough to judge that without the ice time.

Old
01-12-2004, 07:00 PM
dunner97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtafts
I think that Pilar should be scratched. I saw the Devils' game, he was AWFUL.
the dropoff in the leafs defence when jackman and marchmant are on the ice is unreal ...before a stud dman is brought it ....find some solid no 5 -6 guys who dont panic ......jackman may yet develop..but he neds to be away from the constant scrutiny in toronto..he just panics.a player like hedin or similar world class players can sometimes fit in pressure places better ..IMO carlo C is better than them all..and he sems to thrive in limelight ......i just watched st johns game and hes not far from being in the nhl .and being a player .he jumps out at u on a broadcast...

Closed Thread