HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie skates/mask

Old
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
DevsFan84

vCash: 500
goalie skates/mask

I was just looking for some recommendations for a goalie mask and skates. I'm 23, just starting out (literally, i've never played hockey) and I'm just looking for some rec stuff. I want adequate protection, and while I'd rather do it as cheaply as possible, these are two pieces of equipment I'm not going to skimp on.

I've been to two different rinks in my area (i live in north new jersey) and was fitted to a size 9 wide, and literally no shop around here carries goalie skates in wide sizes. I found some CCM vector 6.0 in my size online, but no shop around here carries them, I don't know how they fit, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, for the mask...any opinions appreciated. I was hoping to spend around $200 on the mask, but if all the ones in that price range are inadequate, I will pay more.

thanks...

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
MikeD

The latest models out of don simmons sports(fort erie, CA) would fall into that price range and offer more than adequate protection. I also wear a wide boot and found the KOHO and Bauer lines to do the trick. Getting skates, try to find close outs on previous years models. You can get a pretty good deal and keep some coin in your pocket.

Maks and Skates are where you typically DO NOT get used.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Goalie_Gal

I'm in northern NJ too and just got a very good mask for less than $200. I'm not sure if we're supposed to mention store names on here so PM me, beacuse I had a great experience there.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
primetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The latest models out of don simmons sports(fort erie, CA) would fall into that price range and offer more than adequate protection. I also wear a wide boot and found the KOHO and Bauer lines to do the trick. Getting skates, try to find close outs on previous years models. You can get a pretty good deal and keep some coin in your pocket.
I've always worn Simmons gear, but right now, Reebok is the most affordable of the brands. Nike-Bauer is the only skate most people with wide feet can wear. I have a wide (short) foot, so I need Bauer skates.

I wear a Sportmask Mage II and absolutely love it, but it's more of an "advanced" mask, so to speak, since it's custom-fitted and slightly different from a true mask (though not as different as its predecessor, the Mage). Itech is more or less the standard in mask design, and you'll be able to find a solid mask on a budget from them with no problem. Like MikeD said, try to find last year's models. There's nothing really different from one year's skate to the next, and you can save quite a pretty penny by buying the clearance make.

primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'm actually selling a refurbed NXI mask. I wouldn't recommend it for high level play but it's a great backup or starter mask.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote