HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Bring it Bucky!
Better hope the Huskies bring plenty of "it" as well I'm thinking this is going to be one of those wild 8-5 games.

Forward to Ford Field!

Old
03-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Better hope the Huskies bring plenty of "it" as well I'm thinking this is going to be one of those wild 8-5 games.

Forward to Ford Field!
Considering that there 2 teams took turns blowing each other out all season, its going to be interesting.

Old
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
That 2nd goal by AA sure lit a fire under Bucky. This team can put up points in a hurry when they get on a roll. I like their chances for a FF appearance, if not a shot at title #7. Guddy is going to have to put on his best Brian Elliot (wasn't he great?)impersonation for that to happen, though.

Looks like the worst we can do is #3 in the final pairwise and a #1 seed in the tourney.

AA needs to get some smaller guys with some speed ala BC. They'll never be a top team with all the gargantuan goons they recruit.
Not sure what the recruiting preference is up there, might be anyone willing to make the geographical leap. Although, Alaska has put together some good teams while in the CCHA. They sure have a tough time skating with teams like UW on the overall.

Agreed, Elliot was great for UW, especially when he returned from injury in '06 for the run. Guddy could have it in him, he held up despite being peppered and only 3 got by on about 65-70 shots. I hate to say it was only AA, but that was almost 70 shots against D-I players.

Old
03-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Badger36

2 of the 3 goals were deflections off of Gudmanson's own teammates, so you cant exactly fault him on those.
He's a great goalie and I cant think of any other goaltender in all of college hockey who I would want at net for the UW.

Old
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
2 of the 3 goals were deflections off of Gudmanson's own teammates, so you cant exactly fault him on those.
He's a great goalie and I cant think of any other goaltender in all of college hockey who I would want at net for the UW.
Not faulting anyone because I am sure the same could be said for a few of the 11 that got by Olthuis (sp??) and Christianson. Either way, a hot gaolie at this time of year is a good thing to have.

Old
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
RabidBadger

McBain got the call up from the Canes today. I'm watching the game on FSN right now and he is playing very well. Every other word out of the homer announcers mouth is "McBain". So far he has a helper on a very nice play on the PP and has played quite a few minutes in critical situations. The announcers are giving a lot of love to UW as well. Watching McB's pro debut is a decent consolation for living in this craptastic state.

Old
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031510aaa.html
Quote:
The WCHA has released its 2009-10 WCHA All-Academic Team, and five Badgers have found spots on it.

Senior tri-captain Ben Street, junior tri-captain Ryan McDonagh, senior forward Aaron Bendickson and sophomore defensemen Eric Springer and Ryan Little were named All-Academic WCHA.

In order to qualify, student-athletes must have completed one year of residency at present institution, prior to the current academic year and hold a grade point average of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for the previous two semesters or three quarters. Players may also qualify if his GPA is at least 3.00 for all terms at his present school.

Old
03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031610aad.html
Quote:
The No. 3 Wisconsin men's hockey team (24-9-4, 17-8-3 WCHA) swept Alaska Anchorage last weekend, advancing the Badgers into the Final Five semifinal game against No. 6 St. Cloud State (22-12-5, 15-9-4 WCHA) this Friday at 2 p.m. in St. Paul, Minn. The two teams have met four times this year, with each team winning two games.

On Monday, head coach Mike Eaves met with the media and discussed last weekend's sweep, this weekend's Final Five and the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Thought you guys might be interested in this link

http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/painti...-badgers-35956

http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/painti...-lambeau-35951

Old
03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
hwkn

Tomorrow's game will be on XM Satellite radio btw[xm199].

Old
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031810aac.html
Quote:
After the No. 3 Wisconsin men's hockey team (24-9-4) swept Alaska Anchorage last weekend in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, it became the first team to punch its ticket to the WCHA Final Five in St. Paul, Minn. The Badgers will square off against No. 6 St. Cloud State (22-12-5) at 2 p.m. Friday afternoon. UW and SCSU split its four previous games this season.

The winner of Friday's semifinal game between the second-seeded Badgers and third-seeded Huskies will square off against the winner of top-seeded Denver and either Minnesota Duluth or North Dakota in Saturday's title game at 7 p.m. Losers of the semifinal games meet up for the third-place game at 2 p.m. Saturday.

The Badgers have won the Broadmoor Trophy as WCHA playoff champions 11 times, and have reached the semifinals three times since 2002, but have yet to advance to the title game under Mike Eaves. Wisconsin last captured the WCHA playoff championship in 1998.

Old
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031810aag.html
Quote:
Led by junior defenseman Brendan Smith and senior forward Blake Goeffrion, six members of the Wisconsin men’s hockey team were honored by the WCHA at its annual awards banquet Thursday afternoon.

The big winner of the afternoon for Wisconsin was junior defenseman Brendan Smith (Mimico, Ontario), who was named the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year and a member of the All-WCHA First Team.

Smith is the third Badger in school history to win the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year award, joining defensemen Brian Rafalski (1994-95) and defenseman Jeff Dessner (1999-2000) as winners.

The nation’s leading scorer among defensemen with 15 goals, 29 assists, 44 points and a 1.22 points per game average, Smith has outscored the next closest WCHA defenseman by 16 points to this point and the nation’s next closest defenseman by nine points.

In addition to Smith, senior forward Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) was named to the All-WCHA First Team.

Wisconsin’s vocal leader as one of its tri-captains, Geoffrion paces the WCHA with 23 overall goals and led the league with 19 goals in league games. He also led the WCHA with a 1.36 points per game scoring average in league games, finishing one point behind the league scoring champion in three less games played.

Making the All-WCHA Second Team is junior defenseman Ryan McDonagh (Arden Hills, Minn.).

McDonagh, one of the Badgers’ tri-captains, leads the WCHA with a plus-20 in all games playing against UW opponents’ top lines every game. The league leader with a plus-20 in WCHA games, he also chipped in 15 points as a rear guard.

Senior forward Michael Davies (St. Louis) was an All-WCHA Third Team pick. The UW’s leading scorer with 48 points, Davies leads the league and ranks sixth in the nation with a 1.37 points per game average in all games. Wisconsin’s leader with 15 multi-point games, Davies hasn’t gone more than two games without a point all season.

Two Badgers were named to the WCHA All-Rookie Team, as freshman forward Craig Smith (Madison, Wis.) and freshman defenseman Justin Schultz (West Kelowna, British Columbia) made the squad.

Smith led all WCHA rookies with 25 points in league games, while his 29 points in all games ranks second among first-year players.

Schultz, UW’s quarterback on its first power-play unit, led all WCHA rookie defensemen with 16 points in league games, while his 18 points in all games are just one point behind the league leaders.

Old
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
RabidBadger

Smitty and Geoffrion are also in the final 10 for the Hobey. Geoffrion should be there: Smitty is probably one of our worst d-men in terms of guarding their own zone, but putting up points talks in terms of Hobey voting. If it was a 2-1 game in the final minute I'd choose any of McD, Golobouf, Gardiner, Ramage or Schultz to be on the ice over Smith. But you have to give him some credit since he was paired with 2 frosh, Ramage and Schultz all season.

Still, Geof has been the best all-around player in the WCHA this year playing the PP, PK, being automatic in faceoffs and having a revolving cast of linemates. Craig smith is a good player but I think he owes a lot of his rookie honors to being placed on the Geoffrion line.

UPDATE: McBain had an assist on the GWG in OT for the Canes tonight. i watched both games he played and he looks polished on a terrible team. I've been telling people down here for months they're going to love that guy.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 03-18-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old
03-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031910aab.html
Quote:
Despite outshooting St. Cloud State, 37-22, the No. 3 Wisconsin men's hockey team (24-10-4) fell to the No. 6 Huskies (23-12-5) in the WCHA Final Five semifinal Friday afternoon at the Xcel Energy Center. The Badgers will take on the loser of the Denver and North Dakota semifinal game tomorrow at 2 p.m. for third place.
Waaaay too many penalties for the Badgers in this one.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...031910aab.html

Waaaay too many penalties for the Badgers in this one.
They looked uninspired to me.How much effort will they give for the 3rd place game? Does this game matter as far as pairwise goes for them?

Old
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
They looked uninspired to me.How much effort will they give for the 3rd place game? Does this game matter as far as pairwise goes for them?
Lee stepped up big, too. That could have easily been a 3-1 win for Bucky.

As for the pairwise; this is a must-win for a #1 seed if NoDak wins the Broadmoor and BC wins HE. If Maine beats BC and Bucky loses, UW should still get in with a #1 seed.

Old
03-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Lee stepped up big, too. That could have easily been a 3-1 win for Bucky.

As for the pairwise; this is a must-win for a #1 seed if NoDak wins the Broadmoor and BC wins HE. If Maine beats BC and Bucky loses, UW should still get in with a #1 seed.
Gotchya.Thanks.Yeah Lee stood on his head no doubt.The Sioux solved Chevy last nite and I'm hoping they can do the same to Lee tonite.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:07 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Gotchya.Thanks.Yeah Lee stood on his head no doubt.The Sioux solved Chevy last nite and I'm hoping they can do the same to Lee tonite.
I can't see Lee playing consecutive games like that and I can't see the Giouxns being as out of sync as Bucky was the 1st two periods.

Anyone have word on Garrett Roe? He went head first into the boards killing off a penalty. It looked promising since he was moving all his limbs before he went to the hospital. I've been pretty sour on St. Cloud this year but I wish a speedy recovery to the little guy. After Travis Roy it puts your heart in your throat to see an injury like that.

Old
03-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
I can't see Lee playing consecutive games like that and I can't see the Giouxns being as out of sync as Bucky was the 1st two periods.

Anyone have word on Garrett Roe? He went head first into the boards killing off a penalty. It looked promising since he was moving all his limbs before he went to the hospital. I've been pretty sour on St. Cloud this year but I wish a speedy recovery to the little guy. After Travis Roy it puts your heart in your throat to see an injury like that.
I have read where if he gets cleared to play by the doctors that it will be up to the coaches whether he plays or not.He had a slight concussion and his neck is sore and stiff.That was an all out hustle play on his part and I hope he is able to go tonite.Fun player to watch.

Old
03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Dakota Sioux

Oops.

"It's all about pride tomorrow," Rakhshani added. "We're playing for third place, but if you have pride in that crest, you're gonna play as hard as you would if it was a first place game."

Old
03-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Badger36

Quote:
How much effort will they give for the 3rd place game? Does this game matter as far as pairwise goes for them?
Looked to me like they gave a pretty good effort in the 3rd place game. The game definetly matters from a seeding as well as a pride standpoint.
Knocking off the #1 team in the country twice is definetly making a statement.
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032010aaa.html
Quote:
The No. 3 Wisconsin men’s hockey team (25-10-4) wrapped up third place at the WCHA Final Five after its 6-3 win over No. 1 Denver (27-9-4) Saturday afternoon at the Xcel Energy Center. The Badgers were powered by a two-goal performance from senior tri-captain Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) in the victory.
Wisconsin ended the game having outshot Denver, 48-36.
Its disappointing that Bucky couldnt have put in this kind of a performance against SCSU, but whatever. Like I said, you arent going to beat a qulity team when you are constantly trying to kill a power play.
Hopefully the fact that the UW beat Denver twice this season (and had a 2-0-1 overall record against them) will help them when it comes to what seed they get in the national tourney.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:14 PM
RabidBadger

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Looked to me like they gave a pretty good effort in the 3rd place game. The game definetly matters from a seeding as well as a pride standpoint.
Knocking off the #1 team in the country twice is definetly making a statement.
Yeah, chasing the WCHA player of the year out of goal and doubling up the former #1 team is a great way to head into the tournament. I, and a lot of other fans, have felt DU is ripe for the picking for some reason. I thought even if they held onto the #1 overall seed Huntsville might go Holy Cross on their *ss. Bad time to hit a skid.

I wasn't too discouraged by yesterday's game. i think it helped motivate the boys to dig a little deeper today. Looks like we'll be dancing with Vermont. We usually match up pretty well against HE teams so I like that draw. Looks like our good pals the pups of St. Cloud will be in our bracket so maybe we can get a shot at revenge if both teams make past the 1st round.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Badger36

Yeah, for some reason Bucky seemed to have Denver's number this year. Id be all for them beating SCSU in the tourney that really matters on the way to winning national championship #7. This team has everything it takes to get the job done, they just need to play smart (stay out of the penalty box) and play to their potential.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032110aae.html
Quote:
The third-ranked Wisconsin men's hockey team (25-10-4) earned a No. 1 seed for the 2010 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament and will open with Vermont in the NCAA West Regional. The Badgers face the Catamounts (17-14-7) on Friday at 8 p.m. CT at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn.

The winner of the Wisconsin-Vermont game will take on the winner of second-seeded St. Cloud State (23-13-5) and third-seeded Northern Michigan (20-12-8). The Huskies and Wildcats meet Friday at 4:30 p.m. CT.

The winners meet on Saturday at 8 p.m. CT.

The regional champion will advance to the 2010 NCAA Men's Frozen Four set for Ford Field in Detroit on April 8 and 10.

Both Wisconsin games will air live on ESPNU and ESPNU HD.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032110aaj.html
Quote:
The Wisconsin men's hockey team (25-10-4) earned the No. 1 seed for the 2010 NCAA West Regional that will begin on Friday at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn.

The Badgers open the NCAA tournament with Vermont on Friday at 8 p.m. CT. Second-seeded St. Cloud State meets third-seeded Northern Michigan in the first game at 4:30 p.m. CT.

Watch reaction from Head Coach Mike Eaves and tri-captains Blake Geoffrion, Ryan McDonagh and Ben Street by clicking: http://all-access.cbssports.com/play...s&media=174759
One key stat worth point out in that the last time the Badgers got the #1 seed in the West was '06, which was also the last time they won the national championship.
Hopefully thats a good omen of things to come...

Closed Thread