HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
I liked the lineup Eavers went with against DU. I think that was his best lineup on the ice this year and it showed on the scoresheet.

A-Bohmb has been past due to play on the top line. Jordy Murray is a good choice to put with former Shattuck's teamate, Stepan. Plus Jordy is more of a finisher to Stepan's set up abilities. That is the deepest 2nd line in the game. AND it's about time Podge was put in to replace Ratty Johnson. I think Podge will bring a lot more to the ice. Pat has looked lost out there. I'm still not sure why Derek Lee was shelved. he was starting to come on after a slow start (not being able to practice pre-season will do that to you). Still, 9 points in 17 games is a decent scoring pace for a freshman. I'm hoping this is the magic formula for 2nd season run.

Old
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032510aab.html
Quote:
The top-seeded Wisconsin men's hockey team (25-10-4) continues its quest for a seventh NCAA title when it takes on fourth-seeded Vermont Catamounts (17-14-7) in the opening round of the 2010 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey West Regional on Friday.

The game is slated to begin at 8 p.m. at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. and will be broadcast on ESPNU HD and ESPNU. The winner of the game will advance to battle the winner of second-seeded St. Cloud State (23-13-5) and third-seeded Northern Michigan (20-12-8) with a ticket to the Frozen Four in Detroit on the line.

The Wisconsin-Vermont matchup is a rarity, as the teams have played only three times before. The schools last squared off on Dec. 28, 1996, with the Catamounts besting the Badgers, 5-2, in the consolation game of the Badger Hockey Showdown.
The Catamounts have been involved in three consecutive shutouts, losing their most recent game, but putting up a pair of 1-0 blankings against New Hampshire in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs.

The Wisconsin squad ranks second in the nation in scoring with a 3.97 goals-per-game average and lead the nation with 155 goals scored. This is nicely countered with their 2.56 goals-against-per-game average.
The Badgers SHOULD be able to roll to an easy win in this one, the only team who can beat the UW in this one is the UW themselves.

Old
03-25-2010, 08:10 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032510aab.html

The Badgers SHOULD be able to roll to an easy win in this one, the only team who can beat the UW in this one is the UW themselves.
I like this matchup for Bucky but I can't put anything past any team, especially a HE team. Whould've thought 2 #4 seeds and a 3 seed would make the FF last year? I think they need to go into every game ready for a dogfight and roll up their sleeves to score some ugly goals.

Old
03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Badger36

I agree, the Badgers cant afford to take any win for granted at this point. I dont share your fear of hockey East teams though. The WCHA is no slouch and is greatly underestimated, IMO.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
RabidBadger

Good thing Vermont got that garbage push in goal so they can at least show up on the scoreboard. Time to take it to these pretenders.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:28 PM
RabidBadger

So far the refs have been UV's best players. Vermont gets a goal on a PP on a bogus PP awarded to Vermont because John Mitchell checked a guy turned sideways into the boards.

Old
03-26-2010, 10:21 PM
AdmiralPred

Each game has it's ups and downs both ways. UW looked not so good in the second half of the first but flew for 20 minutes in the second. Was going to comment during the first intermission that I did not have the faith (UW 1:UVM 2). Though UW can score they do not play well from behind, even if it's 1 goal 20 minutes in.

Either event, the second was all UW, UVM has to stay 5x5 if they want a crack at advancing against the Badgers' grind and lock for the last 20 minutes.... UW 3: UVM 2

Holy assist Stepan on goal #2...

Both goalies big saves...
This Justin.TV thing is a decent supplement.

------------
[edit]
Third Period:
Penalties - very strange calls and non-calls both ways.

"U-rah-rah!

Wis
con
sin"

Not sure how to feel about the Huskies of the Cloud variety. I think UW should win - they lose, I feel meh - they win 7-4.

Last edited by AdmiralPred: 03-26-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Badger36

The officiating was pretty iffy in that game. That goal where Gudmanson got pushed into the goal was a BS call, the 2nd goal by UV was an iffy call too. It looked like Gudmanson iced it and then a few seconds later the puck went in.
Not to mention a few of the PPs that UV got were on some pretty questionable calls. There was another instance where Gudmanson iced the puck and one of the UV players based him in the face with their stick and there was no call.
The Badgers looked pretty flat in the 1st period, but it was nice to seem them get it together and take care of business in the 2nd and 3rd.
They got the win though and thats all that matters. Hopefully the Badgers can play well against St Cloud and stay out of the penalty box. If they can, I think they win this game.
SCSU is a good team, but without a little luck and a poor performance from the Badgers I dont think they win this game.

Old
03-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Badger36

Some Badger quotes about the game vs UV and the upcoming game vs SCSU:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032710aaf.html
Quote:
Wisconsin Head Coach Mike Eaves
Opening Statement...
"Our thoughts as a coaching staff is that it was a typical tournament game. It was highly intensive out there. I thought the first period, we weren't as good as we had hoped - a lot of that had to do with the Vermont team. I thought in the second period, we got our feet moving better, did better things in terms of supporting the puck, winning to races and winning battles and overall picking it up after that point. Obviously, the power play was huge tonight. It created a lot of scoring chances for us and goals. And in the end when the game was on the line, we got a big save from (Gudmandson) with about three minutes to go, and then I thought we did a good job when they pulled their goaltender. We looked like we knew what we were doing, and that's a good thing going on further into the playoffs.

On Blake Geoffrion and Brendan Smith:
"In a big game, they played the way they are capable of. If you're going to win these types of games, you're best players have to be your best players. They were that tonight for us."

On the physical style of the Badgers:
"The base of our pyramid is to play hard. You have to give yourself a chance to win when you play hard and play physical. Certainly, we don't want to take penalties...playing hard is part of what you have to do in this game to win. As I said, we don't want to take penalties, but we want to be on that edge."

On the start of the game:
"We got the first goal, which is certainly what we wanted. But we weren't playing the way we wanted. Part of it was Vermont, part of it was the delay, part of it was nerves. It was a semifinal - game 7. I don't care what you say, the kids know that, and that's why it's pleasing to us as a coach that they settled down in the second."

On playing SCSU:
"We certainly know what's ahead of us. This is our sixth time playing. We know that Mr. Lee is playing very well right now. We fired 20 shots on him in the third period and couldn't quite solve him, so we know that will be a challenge. It's going to be a great game, both teams know each other inside out...I think people that show up tomorrow at the Xcel (Energy) Center are going to see a whale of a college hockey game."

Wisconsin Junior Defenseman Brendan Smith
On why the power play was working in their favor:
"The biggest thing is that we were moving the puck. We use this method a lot, "The Twig," we take what is given. We did that a lot. If they took me we went down to Mikey (Davies) and Mikey is so talented with the puck he fould Blake (Geoffrion) or back up to (Derek) Stepan. I think we just took what was given and that was good for us. I felt that sometimes they were running around and they didn't know who to cover. I think it worked for us and hopefully we can take it out tomorrow."

On "The Twig" theory:
"First it was a good play by Steps taken behind the net and back to me. I just got the puck and shot it. I wasn't even really looking at the net. We hadn't had a shot for a bit, I just shot and wished it went in."

Wisconsin Senior Center Blake Geoffrion
On the conversation after the first period:
"I think the biggest thing is we were getting out-worked and losing a lot of battles along the wall. We talked about getting the puck in and getting the puck out. We didn't have the support there we needed and we were losing a lot of battles. We talked about that and getting it going a bit and playing Wisconsin hockey and dictating our style of play. We came back out in the second and fired on all cylinders."

Old
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032710aaa.html
Quote:
Senior forward Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) scored the game-winning power-play goal with 44 seconds remaining in the second period as the Wisconsin men’s hockey team defeated Vermont 3-2 in the first round of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey West Regional at the Xcel Energy Center on Friday night.

The top-seeded Badgers (26-10-4) advance to face No. 2-seed St. Cloud State in Saturday’s West Regional final with a trip to the 2010 Frozen Four on the line. Wisconsin continues its pursuit of a seventh NCAA championship and looks to make its first Frozen Four appearance since winning the NCAA title in 2006.

Old
03-27-2010, 10:44 PM
RabidBadger

...and Bucky is back in the Frozen Four....against RIT, of all teams. I'm sure everyone's bracket is screwed royally.

Nice to see Big John Mitchell have a good game after a rough night last night. Man there were some crazy moments in the 3rd; Hanowski breaking his stick while shooting at a wide open net, the last fluky goal Goody let in, and how about Bendickson using pure hustle to get the empty netter to seal the deal? Everyone is stepping up. For the first time this year this is looking like a true championship team.

Old
03-28-2010, 09:07 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
...and Bucky is back in the Frozen Four....against RIT, of all teams. I'm sure everyone's bracket is screwed royally.

Nice to see Big John Mitchell have a good game after a rough night last night. Man there were some crazy moments in the 3rd; Hanowski breaking his stick while shooting at a wide open net, the last fluky goal Goody let in, and how about Bendickson using pure hustle to get the empty netter to seal the deal? Everyone is stepping up. For the first time this year this is looking like a true championship team.
See you in a few Weeks RB.....

Not sure what to expect from this game. I know UW has been rolling pretty well. RIT made it this far, and thats more than anyof us could have expected.....May be up in Madison for this game, but will no doubt be up there for the finals game to be with my Badger faithful Family....Either way i will be in my RIT Jersey or Hoodie. I will have a Badger shirt underneath though....

Is anyone going to the FF? I have a poster from the 2006, and would love one from this to laminate. PM or let me know.... Thanks

Old
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Detroit 1977, UW Championship
Detroit 1990, UW Championship
Detroit 2010, ??

F'em Bucky

Old
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Looks like I have to cheer for bucky now.Damn that hurts.RIT? I don't see this one being close at all. Bucky keeps rolling with a 5-1 win and then win it all.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Looks like I have to cheer for bucky now.Damn that hurts.RIT? I don't see this one being close at all. Bucky keeps rolling with a 5-1 win and then win it all.
Sioux, theres plenty of room on the Tiger Train....

Old
03-28-2010, 04:23 PM
RabidBadger

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
See you in a few Weeks RB.....

Not sure what to expect from this game. I know UW has been rolling pretty well. RIT made it this far, and thats more than anyof us could have expected.....May be up in Madison for this game, but will no doubt be up there for the finals game to be with my Badger faithful Family....Either way i will be in my RIT Jersey or Hoodie. I will have a Badger shirt underneath though....
I think it's great what RIT has done. You can't really top last years tournament but RIT's run has made this year another standout year for the playoffs. If they do beat Bucky I'll root for them all the way. At this point you can't really overlook them even if Bucky is looking pretty dominant.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
It will save you some ulcers when you don't have a dog in the fight. I think last year's playoffs was my favorite to watch ever even without Bucky in it. I thought my stomach was going to flip when St. Cloud got a late goal last night.

Be sure and grow a moustache to support the Badgers!

Old
03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...032810aaa.html
Quote:
Senior John Mitchell (Neenah, Wis.) scored two goals to lead the Wisconsin men’s hockey team past St. Cloud State 5-3 and give the Badgers their first Frozen Four appearance since winning the national title in 2006.

Wisconsin (27-10-4) is slated to face RIT (28-11-1) in the semifinal round of the 2010 Frozen Four in Detroit on April 8. The Badgers will make their 11th Frozen Four appearance in program history.
Great game for the Badgers and hopefully they will continue to roll all the way through the Frozen Four and to their 7th national championship.
It was great to see them handle SCSU like they did. St Cloud didnt play with any heart and didnt even seem like they wanted to win.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
BCeagle

RIT upset Denver and UNH to make the Frozen Four. They will give the Badgers a good game.

Old
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
RIT upset Denver and UNH to make the Frozen Four. They will give the Badgers a good game.
I agree, RIT has a very good defense. If the Badgers can get on the board quickly, I dont think that RIT has much of a chance but if RIT can keep the Badgers in check and get a lead, that game could get really interesting.
Personally, Im hoping the Badgers roll over RIT and the BC and Miami beat each other up so bad that the Badgers get an easy game in the finals. Hey, a fella can dream, right?

Old
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM
AdmiralPred

Rebounds, oye. Badgers will have to keep RIT bodies out of the crease.

Old
03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Badger36

They will need to stay out of the penalty box too. At times the Badgers take far too many foolish penalties.

Old
03-30-2010, 08:28 PM
AdmiralPred

Who were the refs for the SCSU regional game on Saturday? That seemed to be a rather tightly called match. During the second and third I remember waiting for the whistle after each big hit. Similar to watching the Packer's special teams this past NFL season.

Old
03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Badger36

Not sure, but it was the same in the game vs Vermont. Im thinking they adopted the new contact to the head rules as the NHL, hence the added penalties.
I agree though that it seemed like the refs called a penalty on just about every kind of contact.
Personally, I think its BS because a player can lower his head and draw a penalty, even though the player making the hit didnt really do anything wrong.

Old
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Not sure, but it was the same in the game vs Vermont. Im thinking they adopted the new contact to the head rules as the NHL, hence the added penalties.
I agree though that it seemed like the refs called a penalty on just about every kind of contact.
Personally, I think its BS because a player can lower his head and draw a penalty, even though the player making the hit didnt really do anything wrong.
They're trying to compensate for not calling the Genoway debacle as strictly as they should have and it's leading to some pretty dubious calls. I'm all for protecting the players but there needs to be a distinction between clean hits and headhunting. I didn't see any evidence to suspend Corbin Knight or Frattin for their infamous hits...there's a photo sequence on NoDak's sire showing Frattin was on his feet when contact was made. I just hope the FF games are not decided by any dicey calls.

Closed Thread