HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Badger36

vCash: 500
I agree. I hope they will let it be decided by the players, not by the refs.

Old
04-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...040110aaa.html
Quote:
Badger head coach Mike Eaves is one of 10 finalists for the 2010 Spencer Penrose Award, the American Hockey Coaches Association announced Thursday. The award is given annually to the top NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Coach of the Year.

Old
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...040110aad.html
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. – Mustaches are commonly worn as part of a costume or a disguise. However, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team has nothing to hide from, and there is no reason for the Badgers to pretend to be anyone else. So why have they all grown mustaches?

The team has a 27-10-4 overall record with a red hot 70.7 winning percentage and the nation’s leading scorer among defensemen. Add in the country’s top power-play goal scorer, one of the nation’s best goaltenders, the second-ranked scoring offense in the nation, a Hobey Baker Hat Trick finalist, and a three-game winning streak, and what hockey team wouldn’t want to be Wisconsin?

Oh yeah, and the Badgers are in the midst of a thrilling postseason run. Wisconsin will make the 11th NCAA Frozen Four appearance in program history next week when the team takes on RIT. The Badgers are in the hunt for the program’s seventh NCAA title.

Despite a highly successful regular season, the Badgers decided they wanted to try something different heading into this year’s postseason.

Enter the mustaches.

“It’s a part of hockey tradition to grow playoff beards,” junior goaltender Scott Gudmandson said. “My first couple years here, we did the beards and it didn’t really work out. We thought we’d change it up and do something a little different, see if mustaches would be lucky this year.”

“Every other year we’ve gone with the beard and we haven’t really done too well with it,” senior forward Ben Grotting agreed. “Playoffs come around and you’ve been doing the same thing all year. You want to do something different, something as a team, so that’s where it all stems from.”

While growing beards is a part of hockey tradition, mustaches are a little different. Still, none of the Badgers hesitated to join their teammates in growing a ’stache for the playoffs.

“Everybody hopped right on board to do it as a team thing, do a little team bonding as we headed into the playoffs,” Gudmandson said.

“It was kind of a collective idea,” Grotting explained. “We did a team vote on whether to do beards or mustaches. It was a unanimous vote in favor of mustaches.”

Although the team came up with the idea as a group, one Badger was slightly ahead of the rest in mustache-growing.

“Before the playoffs started, I actually already had a mustache,” senior forward John Mitchell said. “I think it was the Michigan Tech series when I had it, so a week or two before the playoffs actually started. My mustache was a superstitious thing.”

Whether the team mustaches were inspired by Mitchell’s facial hair or by playoff excitement, no one knows. However, one thing for sure is that the Badgers are all about having a little fun during their exciting postseason run, and they welcome their fans to join in.

“It’s fun to see the crowd get into it,” junior forward Patrick Johnson said. “I know Coach Patrick’s kids actually drew on mustaches just like ours, and it’s cool that they are going along with our team. It’s not just us out there, it’s the fans that come and help us out, too. Obviously they bring us a lot of excitement, so it’s fun to see them doing it, too.”

However, not everyone is so accepting of the mustaches.

“People have told me I look creepy,” Grotting admitted, laughing. “My girlfriend won’t kiss me anymore. I think her exact words were, ‘You are single,’ but I think everyone actually thinks it’s funny.”

The Badgers realize that their mustaches do look a little silly – some more than others.

“It looks funny, but it’s a fun thing to do as a team,” Johnson said.

The verdict is still out on which players have the best and worst mustaches, but the team agrees that the criteria for judging mustache quality is definitely thickness, darkness, and length.

Even though the Badgers are not using their mustaches as disguises or costumes, that did not stop a couple players from taking advantage of a recent photo opportunity.

“Patrick Johnson and I went out to Keegan Meuer’s house the other day, and Keegan’s family has a couple Harleys,” Gudmandson said. “Patty and I decided we’d throw on the leather jackets and go out and pose for a couple pictures. I thought it was pretty funny.”

If the success the mustaches have brought the team so far is any indication of what it to come, the Badgers can plan on plenty more photo opportunities with their mustaches – and hopefully an NCAA Championship trophy.

Here are the team’s best and worst mustaches according to Ben Grotting, Patrick Johnson, John Mitchell, Scott Gudmandson and Andy Bohmbach:

First Annual Badger Mustache Awards
Best Mustache
Grotting: Myself. Patrick Johnson’s is pretty good. He has the whole fu manchu going on. For the smallest, wimpiest guy on the team, that might be a little surprising to some people.

Johnson: Everybody says mine is the best, but I don’t know if it is. I’d say either Podge Turnbull or Scott Gudmandson. They both have pretty good ones.

Mitchell: I think Ben Street has a pretty good one. Patrick Johnson has a good fu manchu, and Podge Turnbull has a good one, too. Those are the top three.

Gudmandson: Patrick Johnson. I like to see a mustache that is full. It’s dark. I know a few of the guys have a little bit of blonde ones. Jordy Murray has a little bit of red in his. I like the full mustache. I think Johnson has some great handlebars on his.

Bohmbach: Scott Gudmandson and Ben Grotting probably have the best ones.

Worst Mustache
Grotting: The worst would probably be Jordy Murray. He really can’t grow much. He has a little stubble. Andy Bohmbach can’t grow one either.

Johnson: Derek Stepan. He has a little bit, but not much.

Gudmandson: Andy Bohmbach.

Bohmbach: Derek Lee’s is the worst.

Old
04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
AdmiralPred

This is what makes college hockey news during "Super Bowl" - ehrm - "Frozen Four" week, a lengthy feel good stroy about the mustache peppered with some stats.

Old
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Badger36

With only 4 teams left, there isnt exactly a lot to talk about that hasnt been talked about already. While the mustache story isnt exactly a big deal, I think its an interesting story; especially considering hockey's tradition of growing playoff beards.
Its definetly not Earth-shattering news, its just a fun, feel good story.

Old
04-03-2010, 11:13 PM
RabidBadger

How do you guys think this team stacks up against the 06 title team? I'd say the offense is better with 5 guys above the 30 point mark and the starting 6 on defense for this years team will probably see some NHL action. I'd say the difference maker would be Brian Elliot.

'06 team that have played in the show: Elliot, Burrish, Pavelski, Earle, Skille, Dowell, Piskula, Gilbert and davis Drewiske which still shocks me.

'10 players that will likely play in the show: Geoffrion, Stepan, Smitty, Schultz, Golobouf, McDonagh, Gardiner and I like Craig Smith's and John Ramage's chances.

If not for early departures and defectors Kyle Turris, Jamie McBain (he wanted to come back but his dad talked him out of it), Sam Gagner and Pat Weircioch would be on this team....how sick would that be?

Old
04-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Badger36

Im still a little skeptical of the leadership of this year's team. They seem to be inconsistent and the captains dont seem to be able to motivate the team when they are down like the captains of the '06 team did.
A lot of the time when the Badgers go down a goal or 2 early, they seem to panic, lose their dicipline, get taken out of their game and a lot of the time it all falls apart after that.

Old
04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...040210aaa.html
Quote:
Junior defenseman Brendan Smith was named Insidecollegehockey.com’s Defenseman of the Year.

A first-round draft pick of the NHL’s Detroit Red Wings, he leads the nation’s rear guards with 15 goals, 32 assists and 47 points, outpacing the nation’s next closest defenseman by nine points and the next WCHA defenseman by 19 points. Smith’s point total is the most for a defenseman since Denver Hobey Baker Award winner Matt Carle posted 53 in 2005-06.

Smith, the WCHA Defensive Player of the Year, was named to the All-WCHA First Team and last weekend was voted to the 2010 NCAA West Regional All-Tournament Team.

One of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award in 2010, Smith leads Division I defensemen in goals, power-play goals, assists, and points.

Old
04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Im still a little skeptical of the leadership of this year's team. They seem to be inconsistent and the captains dont seem to be able to motivate the team when they are down like the captains of the '06 team did.
A lot of the time when the Badgers go down a goal or 2 early, they seem to panic, lose their dicipline, get taken out of their game and a lot of the time it all falls apart after that.
You are spot on with that assesment, GoBucky. Pre-season I was saying Geoffrion was the leader we have been lacking since Burrish wore the "C", but I agree that Bam is not effective as Burrish was. Geof is a little more reckless and lets his emotions get the best of him; case in point, the 2nd game of the final series with The Goofs this year....he looked like the loose canon that he was his frosh year.

I will say this year's team has more depth to fall back on: how many other teams have a 2nd line with 2 guys over the 50 point mark? If Bam doesn't have a multiple point night it will be Smitty, or Davies, Stepan...even A-Bohmb and Bendickson have stepped up when the big guns have been silent.

Old
04-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Badger36

Yeah, Blake is great but he lets his emotions get the best of him too often.
He lets himself get into too many scuffles and he spends too much time jawwing with the refs every time the Badgers get a penalty.
No matter how wrong the refs may be, you will never win against them. Instead of jawwing with the refs, I say instead take your frustrations out on the other team. Hit 'em where it really hurts: on the scoreboard!

Old
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...040410aaa.html
Quote:
Although the 2010 U.S. Women's National Under-18 Team came up just short of gold at the 2010 IIHF World Women's Under-18 Championship, goaltender and incoming Wisconsin recruit, Alex Rigsby, was named the best goaltender by the IIHF Tournament Directorate.

Rigsby had 45 saves in the U.S. women’s 5-4 overtime loss to rival Canada in the gold medal game Saturday night in Woodridge, Ill. Her sensational performance in the silver medal-winning effort granted her the best goalie honor for the second consecutive year.

Fellow UW recruit, forward Brittany Ammerman, contributed an assist in the gold medal game.

Through the tournament, Ammerman collected five goals and three assists to rank eighth in scoring leaders throughout the championship. Rigbsy posted two shutouts finishing the tournament with a 2-0-1-0 record (W-OTW-OTL-L), a .932 save percentage and 1.64 goals-against average.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:56 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
With only 4 teams left, there isnt exactly a lot to talk about that hasnt been talked about already. While the mustache story isnt exactly a big deal, I think its an interesting story; especially considering hockey's tradition of growing playoff beards.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...-playoff-beard

RIT is also having a vote for your favorite playoff beard poll....Most of the guys can grow a full beard tho since they're SOOOO OLD......

Old
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
I was griping about the extra week before the Frozen Four (as I usually do) moreso than the type of article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
How do you guys think this team stacks up against the 06 title team? I'd say the offense is better with 5 guys above the 30 point mark and the starting 6 on defense for this years team will probably see some NHL action. I'd say the difference maker would be Brian Elliot.

'06 team that have played in the show: Elliot, Burrish, Pavelski, Earle, Skille, Dowell, Piskula, Gilbert and davis Drewiske which still shocks me.

'10 players that will likely play in the show: Geoffrion, Stepan, Smitty, Schultz, Golobouf, McDonagh, Gardiner and I like Craig Smith's and John Ramage's chances.

If not for early departures and defectors Kyle Turris, Jamie McBain (he wanted to come back but his dad talked him out of it), Sam Gagner and Pat Weircioch would be on this team....how sick would that be?
Going into this season I did not peg the Badgers to be going deep in the NCAAs. As the season wore on and talk of a late season run began to flurish I remained reserved - GoBucky mentioned leadership compared to the 2006 team and I do agree. Haven't been too confident when they fall behind either - I was a bit worried after the first against Vermont. But, as the stretch wore on I have become a believer again... there was the Camp Randall game, and a decent finish to the regular season (mind you, my perception is not tainted by the finale in Minny since I only saw the boxscore and not the games being played ). Strong play from Gudmandson and the ability to move the puck and score have been huge. Being opportunistic on the PP has helped a bunch as well. However, for me this team doesn't quite stack up to the '06 team, if not for the points already brought up probably because that same confidence as a fan was not there throughout the season. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good team, one very capable of winning two more games - I like the ability with the size this team has, it is a combination not too often seen en masse in this program. This defendse can smother opposing offenses while helping the rush. It appears that character and chemestry, like 2006, is also boosting this team's ability. 2006 will be a tough group to top, just like 1990 was a tough group to top.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Badger36

IMO, if the Badgers can get out to a quick start and get on the scoreboard early in their remaining games they have a good chance of winning.
If they start out cold and get behind, well, things could get real ugly if that happens.

Old
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
goalscorer

Haven't gotten many opportunities to watch Bam play this year. Obviously he's done pretty well, being named Hobey Hat trick finalist....What kind of player has he molded into and what kind of role do you think he will have if he's able to make a jump to the show? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Haven't gotten many opportunities to watch Bam play this year. Obviously he's done pretty well, being named Hobey Hat trick finalist....What kind of player has he molded into and what kind of role do you think he will have if he's able to make a jump to the show? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm seeing Bam becoming a do-it-all type of player you want on the ice in all critical situations ala Todd Marchant or Kris Draper. He doesn't have the footspeed of those guys in their prime but does all the little things those players did well; kill penalties, take faceoffs (Blake will be a better faceoff man than those two) and generally energize the guys around them.

I'm thinking energy guy on the 3rd and 4th line for a couple years and will probably be wearing the "A" in no time. It's hard to go wrong with a Badger draft pick.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
IMO, if the Badgers can get out to a quick start and get on the scoreboard early in their remaining games they have a good chance of winning.
If they start out cold and get behind, well, things could get real ugly if that happens.
If Bucky plays Miami in the Final I'll get nervous if they give up a lead since Miami has the best and 2nd best goalies of the four teams. RIT and BC have less chance of holding a lead. I never really doubted UW would win the game against Vermont, you could see Bucky was taking it to them and it was only a matter of time before the dam broke.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...040710aad.html
Quote:
The Wisconsin men's hockey team (27-10-4) hopes to continue its quest for a seventh national title Thursday afternoon when the team battles RIT (28-11-1) at the Frozen Four in Detroit.

Wisconsin heads into the Frozen Four after a regional semifinal victory over Vermont and a regional final victory over St. Cloud State. Aside from the team's two victories, senior tri-captain Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) was named the MVP of the West Regional.

The fourth-seeded RIT Tigers enter the matchup after upsetting top-seeded Denver in the regional semifinal and topping New Hampshire in the regional final. Only in its fifth season in the NCAA, RIT and Wisconsin have never met.

The winner of the semifinal game will battle the winner of the Boston College/Miami semifinal game in the national championship contest Saturday night.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...040710aab.html
Quote:
In the midst of leading the Wisconsin men’s hockey team to the Frozen Four, senior forward Blake Geoffrion (Brentwood, Tenn.) has picked up the Inside College Hockey Player of the Year award.

Member of the Hobey Baker Hat Trick, he leads the WCHA in goals with 27 and is second nationally in the same category. His 14 power-play goals top any other player in the country, and his 48 total points lands him at third on one of the nation’s top-scoring teams.

Though relentless on offense, Geoffrion is a prominent force in the team’s penalty kill. Furthermore, the future Nashville Predator wins just over 60 percent of his faceoffs.

Tying all of these facets together, Inside College Hockey has awarded the senior as the nation’s top player. To read more about Geoffrion and the award, click here.

Inside College Hockey has already named Geoffrion’s teammate Brendan Smith (Mimico, Ontario) the Defenseman of the Year. The two represent the Cardinal and White on Inside College Hockey’s All-American First Team.

Geoffrion looks to lead the Badgers to the team’s seventh national title this week in Detroit. It all starts Thursday when the Badgers (27-10-4) battle the RIT Tigers (28-11-1) in the national semifinal game. Puck drop is slated for 4 p.m. CST, and the game will air on ESPN2.

Old
04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I never really doubted UW would win the game against Vermont, you could see Bucky was taking it to them and it was only a matter of time before the dam broke.
During the first intermission my doubt meter was twitching since they were down one. Once the second got underway and UW outplayed UVM for pretty much the entire 20 minutes (and the 20 after that) I was along for the ride. The score was close thanks to the Vermont goalie, but UW was definately the better team on the ice that night.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
During the first intermission my doubt meter was twitching since they were down one. Once the second got underway and UW outplayed UVM for pretty much the entire 20 minutes (and the 20 after that) I was along for the ride. The score was close thanks to the Vermont goalie, but UW was definately the better team on the ice that night.
The fact that Vermont spent most of the 1st period on the powerplay didnt hurt either. It seemed like in that game the refs were calling penalties on just about every kind of contact by the boards.

Old
04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
RabidBadger

Only 4 more hours til the puck drops! ****** 'EM, BUCKY!

Old
04-08-2010, 12:15 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Been trying to figure how this game will turn out.....But have no clue. Just hope RIT brings their game and would love to see them score first.

Good luck, I will be happy either way, this is a giant step for a great hockey tradition. I'd of course be happier with a Tiger win though.

Old
04-08-2010, 03:09 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Been trying to figure how this game will turn out.....But have no clue. Just hope RIT brings their game and would love to see them score first.

Good luck, I will be happy either way, this is a giant step for a great hockey tradition. I'd of course be happier with a Tiger win though.
Good luck to RIT as well. I doubt they will role over given that they are experienced...you know, sooooo old Their run has been the best storyline of this tournament by far.

Have fun watching the game

Old
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
RabidBadger

Congratulations to RIT on a great season; a team that does not give scholarships and has no NHL draftees making the FF is a pretty impressive feat. Not to mention they made the FF their 1st appearance in the playoffs after being DI for 5 years. Not too many other DI programs have had such a good start. Best of luck to them in the future.

Comparing this team to the '06 team again, I'd have to say this year's team would give them quite a challenge. They have looked polished and have all cylinders firing. Nice to see guys like Bendickson and Mitchell stepping up when it matters most. I'm thinking Craig Smith's insane forechecking will be a factor in the final.

One question; if this team played the 06 team, which squad would Ben Street play for

Closed Thread