HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
  #451
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Theres just too many variables and too many things can happen. All in takes is some injuries to key players, the team to go cold, bad luck or an unknown to team to get hot in the playoffs and anything could happen.
Look at Denver: they were set up great for a championship, were ranked #1 for much of the season but fell apart at the end of the season and didnt even come close to making the FF, much less winning the national championship.
The playoffs in college hockey are so unpredictable because its 1 game per round. All it takes is 1 bad game, over a flukey goal at the end of the game or in OT and even a great team can be out.
At least we an agree on the, "is it October yet???" part.
That can happen to any team sure.I know all this.I just like the makeup of this team the way it stands right now.I did say if they get hot at the right time watch out.BC is known for that lately and it's somebody elses turn damnit and why not the Sioux.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
  #452
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
"Why not us?" is what every team in the league is saying. If the Sioux play good enough to win and get some lucky breaks, then Id be one of the first on here to give them props.
I personally think any team that isnt from Boston is going to have to play a heck of a game and get some lucky breaks to win. BC and BU have just been too good lately.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
  #453
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Players leaving early and players decommitting in buckyland.The Schmaltz kid is interested in UND.
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...wisconsin.html

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
06-24-2010, 09:50 AM
  #454
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Players leaving early and players decommitting in buckyland.The Schmaltz kid is interested in UND.
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...wisconsin.html
I'm not surprised about Schmaltz; the kid was 14 when he commited. The messed up part is Eaves caught a lot of flak about bringing on a 14 year on when it was Schmaltz's family that pimped him to Eaves.

The bummer is Linblad de-decommiting. He would have been a solid four year player and probably would have been an impact forward right away.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
06-24-2010, 05:20 PM
  #455
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I'm not surprised about Schmaltz; the kid was 14 when he commited. The messed up part is Eaves caught a lot of flak about bringing on a 14 year on when it was Schmaltz's family that pimped him to Eaves.

The bummer is Linblad de-decommiting. He would have been a solid four year player and probably would have been an impact forward right away.
Commiting at 14 is just stupid.They should have an age limit on that even if it is just a verbal.Let the kid be a kid and worry about his future until he is at least 16 or 17.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
06-26-2010, 11:58 PM
  #456
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Kind of an off year for Bucky at the draft: Jason clark was taken by the Islanders in the 3rd round and John Ramage was taken by Calgary in the 4th round. Ramage may turn out to be a solid choice coming that late in the draft. I could see him being a servicable 4-6 guy on the depth chart after being passed over in last years draft. It;s not too surprising about the ho-hum showing given the depth of this years recruiting class; solid, but not spectacular.

Gavin Hartzog will be the 14th forward on this years roster. He has good size at 6'4 and 215 but is not considered an offensive force. He had a great camp with Muskegon in the USHL so maybe this can be the year he elevates his game.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
  #457
leaflifer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Commiting at 14 is just stupid.They should have an age limit on that even if it is just a verbal.Let the kid be a kid and worry about his future until he is at least 16 or 17.
yea no kidding, i definitely think it hurts a kids progression knowing you've got a spot waiting for you when you're done

leaflifer* is offline  
Old
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
  #458
leaflifer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflifer View Post
yea no kidding, i definitely think it hurts a kids progression knowing you've got a spot waiting for you when you're done
not to mention all the criticism youre sure to face

leaflifer* is offline  
Old
07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
  #459
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
So McDonagh signed with NYR. Best of luck to he and Stepan on a team I will never cheer for regardless of how many Badgers are on the team. I wish you swift trades, noble Badgers! That brings the point total lost to 335....two seasons of scoring for Michigan Tech, between early departures and graduation.

Not to worry. The team was in a similar situation in '06-'07, fondly known as the year long celebration of the last championship, and nearly made the playoffs. I'm sure a more deserving team like Air Force made it instead, but I digress. Here's how the teams stack up.

Goal: Then- Brian Elliot and Shane Connolly.
Now- Scott Gudmandson and Brett Bennett.
Not even close! Both the "then" goalies are better than what it on the team now. BUT! Before BB's shoulder injury Bucky had one of the best tandems in the league. Realistically, not many other teams not named Miami have the depth in net this year.

Defense: Then- Olinger, Klubertantz, Drewiske, Engel, McBain, Likens, Piskula. (Nigel Williams is stricken from the record)
Now- Gardiner, Schultz, Springer, Little, Johnson, Simonelli, Faust, Drake, Ramage.
What the "now" team lacks in experience I think they make up for in raw talent. I'd give the edge to the current squad for their skating and puck moving ability.

Offense: Then- Dowell, Ford, Skille, Carlson, Joudry, Davies, Street, Gorowsky, Brandt, Geffrion, Grotting, Mitchell, Bendickson, A-Bohmb, Bearson.
Now- Smith, Murray, Lee, Dolan, Johnson, Turnbull, Barnes, Clark, Dahl, Zengerle, Hartzog, Little, Mersch, Meuer.
Both teams feature large freshman classes that are pretty solid in terms of depth. I think Jordy Murray is the only guy with a chance of matching Dowell's 19 goals that season. Criag Smith is a a good comparison to Joudry, who worked his butt off every shift and Little is the heir aparent to Grotting's role as the "don't eff with me" player. Neither team has a lot of flash up front but can put together a couple decent lines. If the D and goaltending hold, this year's offense can put enough goals on the board to win some tight games.

Overall the team would have to gel early play the game of their lives week in and out to make the playoffs. I think they'll finish about where the 06-07 team ended up, just outside a playoff spot. They should at least be competitive and be able to split with the likes of The Giouxns and the Goofs.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
07-08-2010, 11:33 PM
  #460
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
That sounds about right because I think 06-07 was the year where the Badgers would have made it if the Pairwise kept the last ten games component. They went on a good run costing DU a spot before losing to Minnesota in the F5 semis. And then 07-08 was the one where it helped them (along with nine other things going right including a tie in one of the third place games) jump over Mankato. But I digress....

As a curious question, is Jake Gardiner looking to bounce as well after the McDonagh signing?

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
  #461
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
So McDonagh signed with NYR. Best of luck to he and Stepan on a team I will never cheer for regardless of how many Badgers are on the team. I wish you swift trades, noble Badgers! That brings the point total lost to 335....two seasons of scoring for Michigan Tech, between early departures and graduation.

Not to worry. The team was in a similar situation in '06-'07, fondly known as the year long celebration of the last championship, and nearly made the playoffs. I'm sure a more deserving team like Air Force made it instead, but I digress. Here's how the teams stack up.

Goal: Then- Brian Elliot and Shane Connolly.
Now- Scott Gudmandson and Brett Bennett.
Not even close! Both the "then" goalies are better than what it on the team now. BUT! Before BB's shoulder injury Bucky had one of the best tandems in the league. Realistically, not many other teams not named Miami have the depth in net this year.

Defense: Then- Olinger, Klubertantz, Drewiske, Engel, McBain, Likens, Piskula. (Nigel Williams is stricken from the record)
Now- Gardiner, Schultz, Springer, Little, Johnson, Simonelli, Faust, Drake, Ramage.
What the "now" team lacks in experience I think they make up for in raw talent. I'd give the edge to the current squad for their skating and puck moving ability.

Offense: Then- Dowell, Ford, Skille, Carlson, Joudry, Davies, Street, Gorowsky, Brandt, Geffrion, Grotting, Mitchell, Bendickson, A-Bohmb, Bearson.
Now- Smith, Murray, Lee, Dolan, Johnson, Turnbull, Barnes, Clark, Dahl, Zengerle, Hartzog, Little, Mersch, Meuer.
Both teams feature large freshman classes that are pretty solid in terms of depth. I think Jordy Murray is the only guy with a chance of matching Dowell's 19 goals that season. Criag Smith is a a good comparison to Joudry, who worked his butt off every shift and Little is the heir aparent to Grotting's role as the "don't eff with me" player. Neither team has a lot of flash up front but can put together a couple decent lines. If the D and goaltending hold, this year's offense can put enough goals on the board to win some tight games.

Overall the team would have to gel early play the game of their lives week in and out to make the playoffs. I think they'll finish about where the 06-07 team ended up, just outside a playoff spot. They should at least be competitive and be able to split with the likes of The Giouxns and the Goofs.
That is if he is with the team this fall.Rumblings have been heard that he may go to Europe and play pro like his brother Brady did after 2 years with the Sioux.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
  #462
Talentless Practise*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
As a curious question, is Jake Gardiner looking to bounce as well after the McDonagh signing?
No.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Talentless Practise* is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM
  #463
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
As a curious question, is Jake Gardiner looking to bounce as well after the McDonagh signing?
[/QUOTE]

The only thing I've heard about Gardiner leaving is panicked speculation from the fanbase, nothing substantial. Gardiner is solid but not quite ready for the pros IMO. But, plenty of "solid" guys have left early so you never know.

I've also heard the Murray to Europe rumors. I think that would be a mistake for him to go; he's going to be getting big minutes this year and playing in all situations. In the Euro leagues he'd likely be starting at the bottom of the depth chart.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
  #464
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Clueless View Post
Thank you very much sir/ma'am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post

The only thing I've heard about Gardiner leaving is panicked speculation from the fanbase, nothing substantial. Gardiner is solid but not quite ready for the pros IMO. But, plenty of "solid" guys have left early so you never know.

I've also heard the Murray to Europe rumors. I think that would be a mistake for him to go; he's going to be getting big minutes this year and playing in all situations. In the Euro leagues he'd likely be starting at the bottom of the depth chart.
I don't think he is either and was definitely the biggest project out of all the defensemen. I mean, that's usually the case when one is converted from forward but I've given up trying to take bets on who will stay and who will go. At this point, I would have lost on Stepan, McDonagh and the mystery Gopher underclassmen bolting (although there's still time for the last one to happen).

GopherState is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 02:23 PM
  #465
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
I had beers with Jordys brother Brady last week when I was at Shattuck for my daughters camp.He was there working out for a couple of weeks with a couple other guys that play over there.He loves it in Switzerland and can see himself playing there until he retires.Makes damn good coin too plus is treated like a rock star.I'm sure big brother is helping him make his decisoin either way.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
  #466
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
I dont see Murray leaving the UW this year. He will have a chance to be a star, wear an A or C and greatly improve as a player.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
  #467
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 11,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
I dont see Murray leaving the UW this year. He will have a chance to be a star, wear an A or C and greatly improve as a player.
I didn't expect Brady to leave the Sioux after 2 years either but he did.Money has a way of changing young mans minds.


Last edited by Dakota Sioux: 07-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
07-10-2010, 11:06 AM
  #468
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Very true. Id obviously like to see him stay 4 years because the Badgers are going to need him, but he has to do whats best for him.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:39 AM
  #469
Reach Advantage
Registered User
 
Reach Advantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
with the defencemen leaving, I hear Troy Hesketh may be coming to Wisconsin this season.

Anyone hear that?

Reach Advantage is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 09:54 AM
  #470
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach Advantage View Post
with the defencemen leaving, I hear Troy Hesketh may be coming to Wisconsin this season.

Anyone hear that?
That was the speculation before Joe Faust decommited from Princeton to come to Buckytown. Hesketh will likely be on board for next season.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:06 PM
  #471
Reach Advantage
Registered User
 
Reach Advantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
That was the speculation before Joe Faust decommited from Princeton to come to Buckytown. Hesketh will likely be on board for next season.
ah ok, thanks.

Reach Advantage is offline  
Old
09-11-2010, 01:24 PM
  #472
myers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Hello Badgers’ fans,

I'm interested in reading what's your take on a few current and former Badgers’ defensemen.

I’d like to know how you think the offensive skills of McBain, Smith and Gardiner will translate in the NHL, when they reach their respective peak.

Do you think B. Smith could be converted to a forward and would it be a good idea?

Will Gardiner regain his offensive flair?

Who will have the most success offensively?

Is there any defensemen on the current Badgers’ squad that could eventually become even better offensively in the NHL?

Your knowledgeable opinion is greatly appreciated.

Myers

myers is offline  
Old
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
  #473
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by myers View Post
Hello Badgers’ fans,

I'm interested in reading what's your take on a few current and former Badgers’ defensemen.

I’d like to know how you think the offensive skills of McBain, Smith and Gardiner will translate in the NHL, when they reach their respective peak.

Do you think B. Smith could be converted to a forward and would it be a good idea?

Will Gardiner regain his offensive flair?

Who will have the most success offensively?

Is there any defensemen on the current Badgers’ squad that could eventually become even better offensively in the NHL?

Your knowledgeable opinion is greatly appreciated.

Myers
I dont think that converting B Smith to a foreward would be a good idea. Especially in the NHL, I dont think he has the speed for it.
In the case of current Badgers, theyre all too young and inexperienced to really know what they are capable of in the NHL.

Badger36 is offline  
Old
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
  #474
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myers View Post
Hello Badgers’ fans,
Hi.

Quote:
I'm interested in reading what's your take on a few current and former Badgers’ defensemen.
They're all good. UW went from "Goalie U" to "Blueline U".

Quote:
I’d like to know how you think the offensive skills of McBain, Smith and Gardiner will translate in the NHL, when they reach their respective peak.
I watched McBain's 1st few NHL games: he's an impact player and looks comfortable there. As for the other 2...what GoBucky said.

Quote:
Do you think B. Smith could be converted to a forward and would it be a good idea?
Smitty, like Gardiner, started out as a forward so it's not out of the question. Either way he'll be comfortable on the point of the PP.

Will Gardiner regain his offensive flair?

Si. He was asked to play the role of sutdown guy with McDonagh last year. His freshman year he had to step up and fill in for Smitty as an offensive producer. The dude can be whatever the coach wants him to be. And the bluelione lost quite a bit of firepower from last year.

Quote:
Who will have the most success offensively?
Probably Gardiner, but don't be surprised if Justin Schultz comes out on top in points. Actually, my money is on Schultz.

Quote:
Is there any defensemen on the current Badgers’ squad that could eventually become even better offensively in the NHL?
Hard to say. Usually Badger D-men play the same way in the NHL as they did at UW.

Quote:
Your knowledgeable opinion is greatly appreciated.

Myers
No problem. We're homers, this is what we do.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
09-12-2010, 02:15 AM
  #475
BrodeursCups
....
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
I didn't expect Brady to leave the Sioux after 2 years either but he did.Money has a way of changing young mans minds.
I think Murray leaving was, at that point, fairly obvious...

BrodeursCups is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.