HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2010, 09:06 AM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
He's pretty "old" I guess for a first year college hockey player. Does he have a shot at the pro level?
Yeah, he kind of reminds fans of Tyler Bozak, who played for Denver, he was a good recruit who came in "older". That's becoming more of a trend in the big recruiting programs because a lot of these recruits get pushed back to make way for blue chippers. Not good in my book. As far as the pros; I don't know about the NHL but the AHL and Euro leagues are littered with former Badgers who make a career out of hockey for a while. I hope he will be a 4 year Badger.

Old
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Badger36

All in all, Id say it was a decent weekend for the Badgers. The men lost 4-2 on Friday and tied Denver 2-2 on Saturday and the ladies are still undefeated after sweeping Ohio State 6-5 and 5-2.
IMO, the men taking a point from Denver is like a win.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
All in all, Id say it was a decent weekend for the Badgers. The men lost 4-2 on Friday and tied Denver 2-2 on Saturday and the ladies are still undefeated after sweeping Ohio State 6-5 and 5-2.
IMO, the men taking a point from Denver is like a win.
The previously #1 ranked women's teams were just keeping the spot warm for Wisconsin. I knew they'd go right to the top with MJ and the Olympians (sounds like a 50's band, eh?) back in the mix.

The men did about what I expected; you knew DU was going to be playing with a chip on their shoulders after BC took them out behind the woodshed on their own ice. Next weekend should be pretty good against Tech with both teams off to better starts than expected.

Old
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Badger36

Not to mention it will be Halloween weekend, which is always entertaining.
I'll be there with my, "bloody" goalie mask on Saturday.

Old
10-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Badger36

It should be an interesting series with Michigan Tech this weekend. MTU definetly isnt as pathetic as they have been in recent years and the Badgers are such a young, unproven team.
A lot of my fellow Badger fans are saying that anything other than 2 wins is unacceptable and that as long as they play Badger hockey they will easily win. Im chosing to be a little bit more skeptical than that, I think my fellow Badger fans are highly underestimating MTU.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
It should be an interesting series with Michigan Tech this weekend. MTU definetly isnt as pathetic as they have been in recent years and the Badgers are such a young, unproven team.
A lot of my fellow Badger fans are saying that anything other than 2 wins is unacceptable and that as long as they play Badger hockey they will easily win. Im chosing to be a little bit more skeptical than that, I think my fellow Badger fans are highly underestimating MTU.
No they are just high.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:42 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
No they are just high.
That's a given...expectations are always, uh, higher in Madison.

Old
10-30-2010, 09:32 AM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Allright! Wisc is the first team to defeat the mighty Houghton Dogs this year thanks to Michael Mersch's bust out night to the tune of 2 goals and a helper. Craig Smith (1G, 1A)and Jake Gardiner (3 helpers)were great as always. It was nice to see Patty Johnson get a goal; he really has played well and put in the effort so hopefully more points will follow. Overall it was good to see a balanced attack instead of just the Murray/Smith/Zengerle line do all the heavy lifting. 1st Star Zengerle's consecutive point streak came to a halt last night...he tied Joe Pavelski for consecutive games with a point to start the season by a freshman.

I hope Brett Bennett gets the start in net tonight. He's looked good enough to earn equal playing time as Guddy.

Old
10-30-2010, 08:33 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Allright! Wisc is the first team to defeat the mighty Houghton Dogs this year thanks to Michael Mersch's bust out night to the tune of 2 goals and a helper. Craig Smith (1G, 1A)and Jake Gardiner (3 helpers)were great as always. It was nice to see Patty Johnson get a goal; he really has played well and put in the effort so hopefully more points will follow. Overall it was good to see a balanced attack instead of just the Murray/Smith/Zengerle line do all the heavy lifting. 1st Star Zengerle's consecutive point streak came to a halt last night...he tied Joe Pavelski for consecutive games with a point to start the season by a freshman.

I hope Brett Bennett gets the start in net tonight. He's looked good enough to earn equal playing time as Guddy.
I'm disappointed to hear that Tech was up 2-0, and then fell apart. Little steps, little steps...but we still can't seem to play a full 60. At least we upset Grand Valley this afternoon in football, still makes for a good weekend regardless.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:28 PM
guinness
those were the days

That's the Husky hockey I know and love...4-1 loss to the Badgers tonight.

BTW, what happened at the end of the 2nd? I see from the box score, Wisc scored a couple goals right at the end of the period. Looks like the Badgers were sloppy with penalties too, but we only got the one PP goal.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:42 AM
Badger36

Quote:
No they are just high.
Or drunk. Here in Madison the team is expected to win every game and contend for the WCHAA and NCAA championship every year, no matter how young or bad the team is. Thats just the way it is. Around here, we make champions and anything less than that is considered to be a failure.

Last edited by Badger36: 10-31-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old
10-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
That's the Husky hockey I know and love...4-1 loss to the Badgers tonight.

BTW, what happened at the end of the 2nd? I see from the box score, Wisc scored a couple goals right at the end of the period. Looks like the Badgers were sloppy with penalties too, but we only got the one PP goal.
The Badgers finally woke up and started playing. The Huskies got the first goal, which I think finally got the Badgers fired up. It also didnt help that the MTU players started taking a lot of cheap shots that the refs werent calling.
I dont know what the deal was with the refs, but there were quite a few calls where I thought to myself, "what game are these refs watching???" Apparently the MTU players realized that even in a year when the Badgers arent all that good, they still cant beat them, so they started trying to pick fights and take cheap shots. There was one call where an MTU player grabbed one of the Badgers by the neck from behind and threw him to the ice and the all the refs did was call a 2 minute holding penalty. For as long as Ive been around hockey, that hasnt been holding (more like roughing) but whatever.
Oh well, Bucky won and thats all that really matters. For the most part, Im happy with how the Badgers played. Theres definetly some things the Badgers need to improve on (there were quite a few missed scoring opportunities and the Badgers need to start being more physical) but they played well, killed off a few penalties and the goaltending was very good.

Last edited by Badger36: 10-31-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old
10-31-2010, 09:13 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I'm disappointed to hear that Tech was up 2-0, and then fell apart. Little steps, little steps...but we still can't seem to play a full 60. At least we upset Grand Valley this afternoon in football, still makes for a good weekend regardless.
Same thing happened to Bucky in Denver last weekend. Overall you have to be pretty pleased with Tech's showing so far. there on pace to smash their points total from last year. I think they'll be solid and hard to deal with this year.

As for the Badgers; i like to see how the scoring depth is emerging with Michael Mersch and Pat Johnson having big weekends. Derek Lee hasn't hit his full stride and Jason Clark is yet to wake up...and i feel he will in a big way, so there is room for improvement. This is not a prime talent team but it's one of the better ones in terms of character and grit then I've seen in a long time.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Same thing happened to Bucky in Denver last weekend. Overall you have to be pretty pleased with Tech's showing so far. there on pace to smash their points total from last year. I think they'll be solid and hard to deal with this year.
I could see MTU upsetting at least 1 good team this year and may be just good enough to ruin someone's post season hopes in the WCHA playoffs.
Id also definetly agree with you about this team having more grit. Whereas last year's team would have gotten frustrated, lost their discipline and started making mistakes, this year's team thus far has seemed to just stick to the gameplan and keep plugging away. There were some stupid penalties on Saturday, but I think thats to be expected of such a young team and I think in some ways those penalties were neccesary for the Badgers to answer the level of physicality that MTU was bringing.
The next 2 weeks will be interesting with the Badgers playing at the rodents and then playing NoDak at home.

Last edited by Badger36: 11-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old
11-03-2010, 07:33 AM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Chris.LAUREL\My Documents\My Pictures[/IMG]

Old
11-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Badger36

Happy border battle weekend, everyone!!! It should be an interesting matchup.

Old
11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Happy border battle weekend, everyone!!! It should be an interesting matchup.
I dislike both teams but I hate the rodents.Go bucky.Damn that was hard.

Old
11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Wow, I wasn't expecting Bucky to take them behind the woodshed like that! Michael Mersch is emerging as a beast. Also good to see Frankie Simonelli pick up his first points tonight.

Old
11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Badger36

Overall a good weekend for the Badgers. I loved how the men took the rodents to the woodshed on Friday and then came back from a deficit twice on Saturday. For a young team in a very hostile environment, thats impressive.
In the case of the women, the rodents gave them their first loss on Friday (5-7) but then they came back and shut out the rodents 5-0 on Saturday. The Badgers played well on Friday, their goalies were just a couple of total sieves.
Im looking foreward to Sue coming to town next weekend. It should be an interesting series!

Old
11-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Overall a good weekend for the Badgers. I loved how the men took the rodents to the woodshed on Friday and then came back from a deficit twice on Saturday. For a young team in a very hostile environment, thats impressive.
In the case of the women, the rodents gave them their first loss on Friday (5-7) but then they came back and shut out the rodents 5-0 on Saturday. The Badgers played well on Friday, their goalies were just a couple of total sieves.
Im looking foreward to Sue coming to town next weekend. It should be an interesting series!
It's spelled SIOUX!!!
Hopefully the Sioux will be at full strength when they come to buckyland.They are deep enough to overcome injuries and illnesses but it would be nice to have Forbort and MacWilliam back on D for the series. Genoway needs to stay at home more rather than pinching at the wrong times.It cost them the game last nite leaving Blood a 2 on 1 against Connolly and Fontaine.They made em pay.The Sioux manage a split all will be good but this team is to deep to be satisfied with splits especially at home.

Old
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Quote:
It's spelled SIOUX!!!
Hopefully the Sioux will be at full strength when they come to buckyland.They are deep enough to overcome injuries and illnesses but it would be nice to have Forbort and MacWilliam back on D for the series. Genoway needs to stay at home more rather than pinching at the wrong times.It cost them the game last nite leaving Blood a 2 on 1 against Connolly and Fontaine.They made em pay.The Sioux manage a split all will be good but this team is to deep to be satisfied with splits especially at home.
Of course we know the name of our next favorite team to The Goofs Minny and NoDak back-to-back...this will really keep the Badger Nation fired up. This series should be a litmus test for both clubs with the Giouxns trying to live up to expectations and Bucky playing well above expectations...this team is bringing old time Badger Hockey back to the ice.

The whole month is fairly brutal for that matter; after the Susie Giouxns is Duluth (I still don't believe in that team) then Michigan and Sparty. Fortunately all those games are are The KC. ******* 'em, BUCKY!

Old
11-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Badger36

So it it Sue or the Giouxns? Anywho, it will be an interesting month in Buckyland and should give us a good idea of what this team is made of.

Old
11-08-2010, 08:51 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

Quote:
So it it Sue or the Giouxns? Anywho, it will be an interesting month in Buckyland and should give us a good idea of what this team is made of.
It's The Susie-Giouxns and always will be in our hearts! And this team is made of iron nails, P*ss and vinegar! These guys are one of the least talented teams of the 2000's but they represent Badger Hockey better than many of their predecessors have. I'm liking them in a big way.

Old
11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Badger36

Amen to that. If last year's team had the grit and determination that this team has, we'd have been celebrating our 7th NCAA championship last spring.

Old
11-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Get ready for a Sioux scalping boys.

Closed Thread