HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Badger36

vCash: 500
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011...l-blue-chipper
Quote:
Undoubtedly the biggest Badger hockey news of the week is on the recruiting front where Sun Prairie, WI native Will Butcher made his college choice this week choosing Denver over Wisconsin, North Dakota, and others. Butcher is one of the top 5 defensemen in the 2013 recruiting cycle in the entire nation and was unquestionably one of the top two or three targets for the Badger coaching staff for the 2013 recruiting year.

Growing up just outside of Madison, many recruitniks figured that Butcher was a virtual lock for Wisconsin given their history of churning out NHL caliber defensemen year after year so it came as a surprise to many when it was released that he would be a Pioneer after a two year stint at the NTDP. In an article today on the Lets Go Du blog, they note (via USHR) that Butcher's father played hockey in high school and in the USHL with current Denver assistant Steve Miller who is from Butcher's hometown of Sun Prairie.
Well that sucks!!!

Old
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
It also says he may not even suit up for Denver since he was drafted by Windsor in the OHL and they have a history of pursuing Americans with college commitments.

Old
09-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
It also says he may not even suit up for Denver since he was drafted by Windsor in the OHL and they have a history of pursuing Americans with college commitments.
Yup. Either way, he wont be a Badger so it doesnt matter. Its great to see a local getting getting a shot at making it big, I just wish he would have chosen the cardinal and white.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Well now we can hope he chooses the Spitfires over the Pioneers.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
herbst20

Kind of an off the topic question, but where do you guys get your Wisconsin Hockey apparal. I am out of state and know of Bucky's Lockeroom, but are there any other quality sites that I could use? I used to have season tickets before moving to Iowa. Now I have to resort to the USHL.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Kind of an off the topic question, but where do you guys get your Wisconsin Hockey apparal. I am out of state and know of Bucky's Lockeroom, but are there any other quality sites that I could use? I used to have season tickets before moving to Iowa. Now I have to resort to the USHL.
www.redwear.com
www.uwbookstore.com
Bucky's Lockerroom is by far the best but Redwear and the UW Bookstore's site are good sources too. I actually scored an awesome deal on a Camp Randall Classic jersey from the UW Bookstore's site. I think I paid something like $50 for the jersey, which is almost half price.
Sorry about the moving to Iowa part. Sounds like you need to plan a trip to Madison or to Minnesota when the Badgers play the rodents or any of those other pathetic schools in the territory of Minnesota that claim to have hockey programs.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...092011aaa.html
Quote:
Distinguished player and coach Mark Johnson and college coaching legend Jeff Sauer are among four people named recipients of the 2011 Lester Patrick Trophy for outstanding service to hockey in the United States. The Badger duo are joined by Hockey Hall of Famer Bob Pulford and long-time USA Hockey executive Toni Rossi.

The award, one of the most prestigious in hockey, was presented to the National Hockey League by the New York Rangers in 1966. It honors the memory of Lester Patrick, who spent 50 years in hockey as a player, coach and general manager and was a pioneer in the sport's development.
Quote:
ohnson may be best known as the leading scorer for Team USA at the 1980 Olympic Winter Games, where he scored twice in Team USA's iconic victory against the Soviet Union en route to the gold medal. All total, Johnson represented the United States as a player in 13 international tournaments. He also enjoyed a three-year collegiate playing career at the University of Wisconsin where he was a two-time All-American and was named the Western Collegiate Hockey Association Freshman of the Year in 1977. He finished his Badger career with 125 goals in 125 games played, which still stands as the school record for career goals.

Currently the head coach of the women's hockey team at his alma mater, having led Wisconsin to four NCAA championships (2006, 2007, 2009 and 2011). He also served as the head coach of the 2010 silver-medal winning U.S. Olympic women's ice hockey team and twice was as an assistant coach for the U.S. men's national team at the International Ice Hockey Federation Men's World Championship (2000, 2002). Johnson, the son of legendary college and NHL coach “Badger” Bob Johnson, was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2004.

Sauer, a Fort Atkinson, Wis., native, is one of the most successful and distinguished coaches in the history of college hockey. Following his playing career at Colorado College, where he played for Bob Johnson, Sauer spent more than 30 seasons as an NCAA Division I head coach -- both at Colorado College from 1971-1980 and then at the University of Wisconsin from 1983-2002. Sauer won NCAA championships as coach of the Badgers in 1983 and 1990 and ranks eighth on the all-time wins list of college hockey coaches with more than 650 victories (655-532-57) and a winning percentage of .549.

Sauer also is closely involved with preparing and coaching the USA Deaf Olympic Team, having participated in seven Deaflympics and earning a gold medal in 2007 at the IIHF Winter Deaf Olympics. In April 2009, he also coached Team USA to a bronze medal in the first ever World Deaf Hockey Championships. Sauer earned the John "Snooks" Kelley Founders Award from the American Hockey Coaches Association in 2003, presented to individuals in the coaching profession who have contributed to the overall growth and development of the sport of ice hockey in the United States. He is a member of USA Hockey's International Council and the Disabled Hockey Committee and also currently works for the Western Collegiate Hockey Association as assistant to the commissioner. Sauer was recently named head coach of the U.S. National Sled Hockey Team.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092111aaa.html
Quote:
The coaches of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association tabbed the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team as the preseason favorite and dubbed senior captain Hilary Knight as the preseason WCHA Player of the Year on Wednesday.

The Badgers, who won the WCHA regular season crown and the WCHA Final Face-Off a year ago before beating Boston University 4-1 to win the national title, return 18 players this season. Wisconsin collected six first place votes and 47 points in the poll of the league’s eight head coaches

Old
09-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html
Quote:
The No. 1 Wisconsin women’s hockey team opens the 2011-12 season this weekend, hosting Lindenwood at the Kohl Center this Friday and Sunday. The opening faceoffs are scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Sunday.

Prior to the start of Friday night’s contest, the Badgers will unveil the 2011 NCAA National Championship banner at the Kohl Center. The banner drop will take place approximately 10 minutes prior to the opening faceoff.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092511aab.html
Quote:
The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team completed the weekend sweep over Lindenwood University, downing the Lady Lions by a score of 13-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Kohl Center.

The Badgers out-scored the Lady Lions 24-0 over the weekend, as Lindenwood played in its first competition against a NCAA Division I opponent. The fledgling program is in transition from the club level to the DI level this year.

“I think it was good for us and good for [Lindenwood],” commented head coach Mark Johnson about the weekend. “It’s the early part of the season and we’ve only practiced four days. A lot of good things were out there, but we have a bunch of stuff ahead of us.”

Old
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/2011/0...-at-no-17.html
Quote:
College hockey is upon us. That became more apparent on Monday when the USCHO.com and the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Polls released their first prognostication for the 2011-12 campaign.

The young (20 of 26 skaters are either sophomores or freshmen) Badgers check in at No. 17 in the USCHO.com Poll and in the receiving votes category of the USA Today Poll, which equates to No. 18. That's three spots higher than the Badgers ended the 2010-11 season in both polls.

Old
09-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...092711aaa.html
Quote:
The University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team has completed the sweep of the preseason polls as the Badgers were unanimously picked as the nation’s top team in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Women’s College Hockey Preseason Poll.

Wisconsin was also tabbed as the No. 1 team in the USCHO.com Women’s Hockey Preseason Poll and the WCHA Coaches’ Preseason Poll.

Old
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
jNel91

How do I get tickets? I found some on stubhub, but can I just get them at the box office? Should I get them ahead of time or is day of game ok? What is face price? Sorry I am uninformed but I thought I might get some info here.

I am looking to attend a few college games this year so I was looking into UW and ND tickets.

Old
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jNel91 View Post
How do I get tickets? I found some on stubhub, but can I just get them at the box office? Should I get them ahead of time or is day of game ok? What is face price? Sorry I am uninformed but I thought I might get some info here.

I am looking to attend a few college games this year so I was looking into UW and ND tickets.
It depends upon the weekend. If its a matchup against Minnesota, North Dakota or a top-ranked team you likely wont find any the day of the game at the box office, so your best bet is Stubhub or UWBadgers.com.
Any other weekend you should be able to just show up a little bit before gametime and get tickets.
Fair price is $20 for the 300 level and $24 for the 100 and 200 levels. You likely wont be able to find 100 level tickets because those all usually get bought up by alumni and season ticket holders. You can usually find 200 level seats though which are still really good seats. Even the 300 level isnt bad because of the design of the Kohl Center. The 300 level is quite a bit higher than the 200 level, so it isnt as far back as you might think for a 15,000+ seat arena.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:34 PM
jNel91

Thanks for the info!

Old
10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Teemu

What about Saturday's game? It's far from a big rival, but it is opening weekend. On a related note, any advise about visiting Madison (restaurants, etc.)?

Old
10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
What about Saturday's game? It's far from a big rival, but it is opening weekend. On a related note, any advise about visiting Madison (restaurants, etc.)?
The Badgers arent expected to be all that good this year because they will be a very young team and like you said, NMU isnt much of a rival, so it shouldnt be a big turnout for the game. You would probably be able to get some pretty sweet seats though, which isnt something you could do other weekends.
As for restaurants and bars: The Nitty Gritty, Dottie's Dumpling Dowry and Wando's are all great places.
Most weeks we go to Dottie's for dinner before the game (their burgers are legendary in Madison) and go to Wando's for drinks after the game. Wando's fishbowls are a little out of control! I wouldnt recommend them if you plan on driving home though, they the equivilent to 6 or 8 mixed drinks.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...-M-Hockey.html
Quote:
Wisconsin opens the 2011-12 season with a home series against CCHA-member Northern Michigan.

The game also marks the end of a tumultuous offseason around college hockey during which eight schools hired new coaches and the future conference landscape dramatically changed beginning in 2013-14 with the start of the Big Ten and National Collegiate Hockey Conference and a completely revamped WCHA that will include teams from the CCHA.
Quote:
Wisconsin must replace five of its top seven scorers from last season as forward Craig Smith (19 goals, 43 points), defenseman Jake Gardiner (10 g, 41 pts), forward Jordy Murray (18 g, 26 pts), forward Podge Turnbull (13 g, 20 pts) and Patrick Johnson (8 g, 19 pts) either graduated or became professionals.
In all, Wisconsin returns 53 out of 129 goals (30.46 percent) and 183 of 357 points (51.26 percent) from last year’s offense.

Three Badgers left school early to sign professional contracts, including seniors-to-be defenseman Jake Gardiner (Toronto - NHL) and forward Jordy Murray (Rapperswil-Jona Lakers - Swiss National League A), as well as junior-to-be forward Craig Smith (Nashville - NHL).

For the first time since the 1964–65 season, the second season after UW restarted its program, Wisconsin enters a season without a goaltender with collegiate playing experience. Junior Mitch Thompson and freshmen Joel Rumpel and Landon Peterson will compete for playing time.
Wisconsin has entered a few seasons having a goaltender with limited experience, including most recently during the 1988–89 season when only senior John Lambie had played. He skated 11 minutes of action during the 1987–88 season. UW had a solid incoming duo that season with future NHL-great Curtis Joseph and eventual All-American and NCAA champion Duane Derksen entering as freshmen.
Wisconsin does boast a history of quality rookie goaltenders, including three who won what is now the WCHA Rookie of the Year award *— Curtis Joseph, Mike Richter and Jim Carey. Most recently, Bernd Brückler was named to the 2001–02 WCHA All-Rookie Team.

Wisconsin welcomes nine newcomers to the roster for 2011–12 – a pair of goaltenders in Joel Rumpel and Landon Peterson, two defensemen in Patrick Daly and Jake McCabe and five forwards in Matt Paape (pronounced Poppy), Joseph LaBate, Brendan Woods, Tyler Lapic and Brad Navin.

In four of the previous seven seasons, UW’s leading scorer was a freshman (Joe Pavelski, 2004–05; Kyle Turris, 2006–07) or a defenseman (Jamie McBain, 2008–09; Justin Schultz, 2010–11), and only one time during that stretch has a senior led the team in scoring (Andrew Joudrey, 2006–07).

Twenty of Wisconsin’s 26 student-athletes are either freshmen (9) or sophomores (11) eligibility-wise.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...-W-Hockey.html
Quote:
After a weekend off, the No. 1 Wisconsin women’s hockey team continues its homestand with its second series of the 2011-12 season this weekend, playing host to No. 6 North Dakota at the Kohl Center this Saturday and Sunday.
It should be an interesting series. NoDak is a quality team and should provide the Badgers with a much better challenge than Lindenwood did.

Old
10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Big Chief and RB:

Are you guys as excited as I am about seeing the new kids?

I'm particularly excited about being able to see LaBate and the McCabe kid.

I just hope Rumpel can carry the mail.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:00 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post

Yeah, OC, pretty good class this year. Kind of like last years recruits; solid but not chock full of NHL prospects like years past. These guys are going to be tough next year. This year I'm expecting a lot of scrappy games that will help the very young team grow.

So far LaBate has two points to show for his first game...another in OT would be pretty sweet.

I have a good feeling Rumpel may in the mix for ROY when all is said and done. Just what my gut tells me.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post

Im excited but with such a young team this could easily be an ugly season.
Our kids have a lot of learn and Im not expecting much from them this season. IMO, a .500 season would be a very good result.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Badger36

Old
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Badger36

Old
10-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Mitts McCann