HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
duckyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Well, it was certainly interesting, but a heartbreaking loss for the Badgers.

First off a few words on DU: I like this team's balance up front. I knew that they would be coming into the season. And I think Wisconsin may regret letting Wiercioch go to DU. He was fantastic tonight!

Now some Bucky observations: It was very clear that all the rule changes wreaked havoc on both teams, but especially on Wisconsin.

I thought Connelly played great tonight, especially in the opening two periods. This one could've been much worse than just a 6-5 loss if it weren't for Connelly.

Jake has been everything I'd hoped for so far and he hasn't disappointed me. He still has a few things to work on, but I'm loving what I'm seeing out of him already. [Note to all the Gardiner-bashing Ducks fans here at HF: He's REALLY, REALLY good! Just open your eyes and watch him!!!]

I'd liked what I saw out of Cody from a physicality standpoint, but I'd like to see him be a bit more disciplined. I think (or hoping) that it'll come as the season goes along. If he can find a balance between being physical and being disciplined, then that'll add a whole new dimension to his and Bucky's defense.

I thought the Wisconsin PK for the most part looked very good. Again, some kinks need to be worked out, but it looks good in the early going.

Right now, the thing that is concerning me is that against both DU and BC last week was the Badgers have to find a way to win these close games. Tonight, they had DU on the ropes for a time, but DU found a way to get back into it, even with Testwuide's ejection. If Wisconsin expects to be able to compete with the big boys of D-I, they have to be able to play to win, not play to not lose. I think as the team, particularly the defense tightens up more, I think it'll be better. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I saw many good things tonight out of the Badgers, but I also some things that they REALLY need to work on too.
Not that many Ducks fans were bashing him, but everyone on the main board was, I'm pretty sure he was the consensus bust out of the first round.
I for one was very happy with the pick because he has so much raw skill, if he works on his positioning and just learns the game a bit better he should be a VERY good player in the NHL!

Old
10-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyman View Post
Not that many Ducks fans were bashing him, but everyone on the main board was, I'm pretty sure he was the consensus bust out of the first round.
I for one was very happy with the pick because he has so much raw skill, if he works on his positioning and just learns the game a bit better he should be a VERY good player in the NHL!
Yeah it wasn't us really bashing him.

Old
10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
RabidBadger

I'm back...I was visiting at my mom's over the weekend and she has dial up which is slower than Joe Finley.

Hmmm, is it too early to hit the panic button? The team is shambolic and to add injury to insult, Benny Street is likely gone for the season. He will likely medical red shirt and come back next year, which would be great. The problem is that he is a key component of the offense, which is the only bright spot for the team so far. The Bagers (no "D") can put up points pretty well, they just can't prevent them.

Eaves needs to A) stop platooning the goalies. Connolly can deal with a shaky team in front of him better than Guddy. He is clearly the better goalie and should be starting every 3 of 4 at least. There's no sense in wrecking Gudmandson's confidence. B) he's going to need to invoke Badger Bob, Scotty Bowman, whoever and get the team disciplined and believing in themselves. If Minny comes in and sweeps them I think the team's morale will not recover in time to do anything significant with the season.

Oh yeah, I knew losing Weircioch would come back to bite the team in the ass.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
So I hear Street is out for the year.Feel for the guy especially being it's his senior year and didn't even win a game his final year.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
So I hear Street is out for the year.Feel for the guy especially being it's his senior year and didn't even win a game his final year.
It's looking like Benny is going to medical red shirt and be back next year rather than try to hurry his recovery and come back this season. I think he knows his hockey options will be slim after leaving UW. That's the one silver lining to this

Old
10-23-2008, 10:56 AM
McRanger

How has Stepan looked?

Old
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
It's looking like Benny is going to medical red shirt and be back next year rather than try to hurry his recovery and come back this season. I think he knows his hockey options will be slim after leaving UW. That's the one silver lining to this
Good for him.Wish him the best.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:48 PM
RabidBadger

What a nightmare way to start the season. There is no reason this team should have only one point with the personnel they have. Minnesota played well, I won't take that from them, but there is no excuse to skulk away with only one point this weekend. The program has been in disarray since the summer with the Bill Howard and Pat Wiercioch ordeals and it's spilling over into the season. i have zero confidence in Eaves ability to turn this team around. I'm not one to hit the panic button, but it already seems like the team has no confidence in itself.

And 39 f**king penalties?! I'd rather go back to the days the teams policed themselves than this garbage. There should be at least 60 penalties/game in Grand Forks next week the way it's being called.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 10-25-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old
10-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
What a nightmare way to start the season. There is no reason this team should have only one point with the personnel they have. Minnesota played well, I won't take that from them, but there is no excuse to skulk away with only one point this weekend. The program has been in disarray since the summer with the Bill Howard and Pat Wiercioch ordeals and it's spilling over into the season. i have zero confidence in Eaves ability to turn this team around. I'm not one to hit the panic button, but it already seems like the team has no confidence in itself.

And 39 f**king penalties?! I'd rather go back to the days the teams policed themselves than this garbage. There should be at least 60 penalties/game in Grand Forks next week the way it's being called.
I hope not as I will be at both games.Bucky is going to come into the RALPH pissed off so with their frustration and the heated rivalry between the 2 teams I suppose there could be 60 penalties.

Old
10-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

RB: I'll make two comments here.

First, everyone is complaining about the officiating, but the fact of the matter is, I don't anyone is hip to all of the new rule changes/modificatons yet. Plus we have a two-ref system now, which means more is going to get called. Am I happy about it? Not really, but I also know that until everyone is hip to the new rules, we're going to continue to see more calls being made.

Second, in both the Denver series last weekend and especially this weekend's series against the Gophers, one thing IMO that is contributing to the Badgers' woes is the lack of cohesiveness with the defense. What I mean by this is you six individual defensemen playing out there, not a group of six. As talented as they all are, they're simply not working together and playing like a unit. The Badgers, nor any other D-I team aren't going to win many games with a defense like that. Take tonight's game for instance. How many times was Connelly hung out to dry by his D? I counted at least a half a dozen. And with the trip up to the Ralph next weekend, things aren't going to get any easier.

Another thing that is also hurting Bucky IMO is some lack of leadership. It was very evident this weekend how much Benny is missed. But Benny is one just one player. Guys like Bam-Bam and McBain have to step up to the plate and lead this team. If necessary, pull guys to the side who aren't doing their jobs and light a fire under them. It's a huge step in getting the team back on track IMO.

Old
11-02-2008, 11:05 AM
RabidBadger

Finally! Some good news out of Buckyland that does not involve the women's team: I'll start there...The women rule! Mark Johnson has them primed for a 3rd championship. I pity the fool that opposes MJs Badgers! That was a nice grudge match against UMD and I hope they have a shot at revenge in this year's playoffs.

The men: Now we're playing Badger hockey, Mike Eaves is the greatest coach ever! Just kidding about the last part. that could have been a sweep of a team off to an equally horrid start but for a blown lead on Friday. Really, every Friday game the team has played this year has been winnable and summarily squandered.

The defense has achieved mediocrity at last. Blake Geoffrion responded well to pressure and Tom Gorowsky has stepped up wonderfully to provide grit and leadership. Overall it was a pretty polite series for a UW/NoDak matchup.

Now the schedule eases up a bit. This is the best chance they will have to get back on track and start stringing together some wins. At least I have D-Sioux and Rabid Husky as company in watching their team off to a bad start

Old
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
bleedgreen

how's mcbain looking?

Old
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
RabidBadger

He was horrible the 1st 6 or 7 games positionally but he is slowly improving. Usually you could count on he and McDonagh last year when most of the D looked out of sync. Not so much this year, at least not consistently. I think he is on track to put together a more solid all-around game at this point. To be fair the entire defense is looking bad except maybe Gouloubef. McBain's offensive touch is still there; he's leading the team in scoring.

Old
11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
RabidBadger

3 out of 4 points against the Dogs and several game misconducts tonight...now we're playing Badger hockey! The team is on a pretty good role. Overall the season could be much better since EVERY Friday game has been winnable. Not to take away from the opposition but they blew multiple goal or 3rd period leads in every Friday game this year. Still, Bucky is movin' on up the WCHA standings. St. Cloud had a great weekend so they should be due for a big letdown next week. The booze is for celebration this week, Rabid Husky, next week it's for drowning your sorrows.

Tom Gorowsky has really stepped up since Street went down. Nice to see some senoir leadership emerge.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-15-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old
11-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
You'll soon find out this is not the Husky teams of old.

Old
11-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
3 out of 4 points against the Dogs and several game misconducts tonight...now we're playing Badger hockey! The team is on a pretty good role. Overall the season could be much better since EVERY Friday game has been winnable. Not to take away from the opposition but they blew multiple goal or 3rd period leads in every Friday game this year. Still, Bucky is movin' on up the WCHA standings. St. Cloud had a great weekend so they should be due for a big letdown next week. The booze is for celebration this week, Rabid Husky, next week it's for drowning your sorrows.

Tom Gorowsky has really stepped up since Street went down. Nice to see some senoir leadership emerge.
And you call the SIOUX goons.

Old
11-16-2008, 08:40 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
And you call the SIOUX goons.
Being a Badger fan qualifies me to judge gooniness pretty well....pacifists need not apply in Madison or Grand Forks.

I see the choir boys from NoDak had one less penalty than the Badgers last night.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 11-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old
11-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Being a Badger fan qualifies me to judge gooniness pretty well....pacifists need not apply in Madison or Grand Forks.

I see the choir boys from NoDak had one less penalty than the Badgers last night.
I knew that would get a response out of you in a hurry.The SIOUX actually did get a little scrappy last nite when one of the AA players took a hack at Eidsness in the net.Scrum followed and the game was on.Haven't seen that from the SIOUX much this year but IMO if they want to be a force they need to play in your face hockey.I hope your boys didn't piss off Duluth to much as the SIOUX head up there next Friday for a series.Going to be tough to have the Bulldogs lose 4 in a row at home.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
I knew that would get a response out of you in a hurry.The SIOUX actually did get a little scrappy last nite when one of the AA players took a hack at Eidsness in the net.Scrum followed and the game was on.Haven't seen that from the SIOUX much this year but IMO if they want to be a force they need to play in your face hockey.I hope your boys didn't piss off Duluth to much as the SIOUX head up there next Friday for a series.Going to be tough to have the Bulldogs lose 4 in a row at home.
Looks like things got interesting at the 5:43 mark of the 1st in G-Forks last night...good old WCHA hockey. Lot of roughing calls last night, eh?

I have no problem saying the Badgers are more thuggish than NoDak this year. On one hand I'm glad to see guys like Geoffrion and Mitchell who are 200 or so pounds of ill-humor on the team; I just wish they wouldn't take some of the stupid penalties they do. The best WCHA teams have always been a good combo of skill and muscle.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
3 out of 4 points against the Dogs and several game misconducts tonight.
I heard McDonagh got 5 and a game, anyone get suspended? There's an interview from one of the Habs beat writers (it's in french) where he interviewd Eaves and he wasn't too kind with his words on McDonagh saying he's been inconsistent and needs to be more physical. Was the hit he got tossed for a dirty one?

I've seen 3 games this year so far and McDonagh has been really good in the first one, solid in the 2nd and brutal in the 3rd so I can see what his coach is saying.

Trying to clear some things up since I see a handful of Wisconsin games, last year wasn't McDonagh paired mostly with McBain and they were on the 2nd pairing, (wasn't Klubertanz on the top pairing?) but McDonagh didn't really get much PP until Smith was out with the injury? Then this year, McDo seems to be back with McBain, on what I guess is the top pairing? But McDo isn't really getting much PP time correct?

Old
11-18-2008, 02:52 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I heard McDonagh got 5 and a game, anyone get suspended? There's an interview from one of the Habs beat writers (it's in french) where he interviewd Eaves and he wasn't too kind with his words on McDonagh saying he's been inconsistent and needs to be more physical. Was the hit he got tossed for a dirty one?

I've seen 3 games this year so far and McDonagh has been really good in the first one, solid in the 2nd and brutal in the 3rd so I can see what his coach is saying.

Trying to clear some things up since I see a handful of Wisconsin games, last year wasn't McDonagh paired mostly with McBain and they were on the 2nd pairing, (wasn't Klubertanz on the top pairing?) but McDonagh didn't really get much PP until Smith was out with the injury? Then this year, McDo seems to be back with McBain, on what I guess is the top pairing? But McDo isn't really getting much PP time correct?
I didn't see the hit in question that warranted a game. Might be the culmination of frustration boiling over from Eaves being on his ass....and I can see why he has been.

Last year McD and McB were paired pretty much the entire time in all situations as the top pair. Smith and Kluby were paired for a while which was borderline disastrous. I'm not sure about PP time because I had to get rid of my cable package that had Fox sports North I saw a link on the habs board a while ago that had an internet feed to watch college hockey games...do you have the link and could you PM it to me if you do? I'd soooo appreciate that.

Cheers

Old
11-19-2008, 08:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I didn't see the hit in question that warranted a game. Might be the culmination of frustration boiling over from Eaves being on his ass....and I can see why he has been.

Last year McD and McB were paired pretty much the entire time in all situations as the top pair. Smith and Kluby were paired for a while which was borderline disastrous. I'm not sure about PP time because I had to get rid of my cable package that had Fox sports North I saw a link on the habs board a while ago that had an internet feed to watch college hockey games...do you have the link and could you PM it to me if you do? I'd soooo appreciate that.

Cheers
Thanks.

Not sure but it might be this site,

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/

Old
11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Dakota Sioux

What's goin on in Buckyland?

Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey: State recruit decommits
By Andy Baggot --- 11/19/2008
Brock Montpetit, an 18-year-old winger from Somerset, was expected to join the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team during the NCAA early signing period that ends Wednesday.

Instead, Montpetit decided not to sign a national letter of intent that was sent to him last week, informing UW coach Mike Eaves that would not play for the Badgers.

That makes four recruits that have de-commited from Wisconsin. Travis Erstad, Nick Prior, Patrick Wiercioch, and Brock Montpetit...

Old
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
What's goin on in Buckyland?

Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey: State recruit decommits
By Andy Baggot --- 11/19/2008
Brock Montpetit, an 18-year-old winger from Somerset, was expected to join the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey team during the NCAA early signing period that ends Wednesday.

Instead, Montpetit decided not to sign a national letter of intent that was sent to him last week, informing UW coach Mike Eaves that would not play for the Badgers.

That makes four recruits that have de-commited from Wisconsin. Travis Erstad, Nick Prior, Patrick Wiercioch, and Brock Montpetit...
They're traitors! To hell with them...waaahhh! That's the response you'd get on most Badger boards...no wonder I come here to talk hockey with you, MNGopher and Rabid Husky...sworn enemies of the Badger Nation

Anyway, Erstad will be playing DIII to stay closer to home, there was some question about Prior's ability to maintain a passable GPA even in the blow-off classes athletes take, and Wiercioch, alas, too many recruits. I hated to see Pat W. go, but it wasn't like Eaves was going to give him precedence over Gardiner and Springer. Montpetit I don't have an answer for but it's a shame to lose a home grown player. You know how it goes with high profile programs; these guys join the likes of Nate Hagemo and Sam Gagner as guys who decommited.

UW has been burned by early departures more than ever lately and I don't think Eaves is dealing with it very well. This year has the one of the largest rosters ever and there are a lot of guys riding the pine. I don't think that's very appealing to potential recruits. If they got looks from UW chances are they got looks from NoDak, MN, DU, etc. I can't blame some of these guys if they see a better opportunity elsewhere.

On one hand it doesn't look good to see these guys decommit; it makes people wonder what's wrong. On the other hand I'm not too concerned about it when I see guys like Stepan, Murray, Gardiner and Springer coming in the same recruiting class.

Old
11-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
What's weird is if you look at the 4 kids individually it's not that bad. Wiercioch left because a spot opened up at DU for this year when Carle had to retire and he originally going to be an '09 kid so he got a chance to play early, contacted DU on his own and was accepted.
Erstad went to D3 where he has not lit anything up (4 points in 8 games) so he probably felt he wasn't going to be good enough to get playing time at UW so why go and sit on the bench or in the press box for 4 years.
Pryor's ACT score is something like 18 or 19 which is not good enough for UW, hell it's not good enough for SCSU even though we are on his list now.
This is the one that is weird because this kid is making it sound like he was lied to. Now if this was just the first one it wouldn't be that big a deal, but it's not, it's the 4th in 6 months and it's going to be the perception more than the reality that hurts in this case. Whether this kid was lied to or not we will never know for sure, but add this to what has already occured and a black cloud that opposing coaches could exploit begins to form.

Closed Thread