HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
  #151
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Things are looking up after a dismal start. The Badgers have been the best team in the WCHA recently. Things could be better since EVERY Friday game, except against St. Cloud, should have been a win or a tie.

I always worry about the Michigan game. Wisco is the most penalized team in all of college hockey, which should bring a smile to Dakota Sioux's face, so they need to be careful and not take stupid penalties (you hear me, John Mitchell?). I'm calling out Patrick Johnson to be the one to step up tonight. He's been slumping lately.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
  #152
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Man, what a great way to get to .500! It's nice to finally get the get the Michigan monkey off our backs. It sure would be nice to go into the dreaded holiday break with a winning record. Here's hoping it lasts against AA next weekend.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
  #153
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,301
vCash: 500
Has McDonagh looked better?

montreal is offline  
Old
11-30-2008, 06:00 PM
  #154
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Has McDonagh looked better?
Not dominant latlely, but not a liability. I think he's getting his game back. I kind of wonder if his year continues to be like it has if Trevor Timmins will keep him in Madison. I know TT stated Les Habs only tend to encourage players to advance who have dominated at their current level.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-06-2008, 09:56 AM
  #155
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
It's an up-and-down weekend in Badgerland: Bucky took a game last night they should have lost. UAA didn't capitalize on a long 5 on 3 PP and Shane Connelly came up LARGE. Good to see Conny back in form after adjusting to a new goalie coach.

Blake Geoffrion, the captain, spark plug, and only "name" player on the offense went down with what is being described as a high ankle sprain. The timing is not terrible since we go into the dread holiday break after tonight. I don't have details about the hit, but Patrick Johnson took a major coming in to stand up for Geoff. there were some fists thrown after the game....tonight will be ugly.

Finally, the Badgers land NTDP defenseman John Ramage. He'll be coming in next year with Justin Schultz to keep the backline stacked. Seems the Badgers have gone from "Goalie U" to "Blueline U".

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-06-2008, 11:24 AM
  #156
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
It's an up-and-down weekend in Badgerland: Bucky took a game last night they should have lost. UAA didn't capitalize on a long 5 on 3 PP and Shane Connelly came up LARGE. Good to see Conny back in form after adjusting to a new goalie coach.

Blake Geoffrion, the captain, spark plug, and only "name" player on the offense went down with what is being described as a high ankle sprain. The timing is not terrible since we go into the dread holiday break after tonight. I don't have details about the hit, but Patrick Johnson took a major coming in to stand up for Geoff. there were some fists thrown after the game....tonight will be ugly.

Finally, the Badgers land NTDP defenseman John Ramage. He'll be coming in next year with Justin Schultz to keep the backline stacked. Seems the Badgers have gone from "Goalie U" to "Blueline U".
Badgers goonin it up again.Imagine that.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
12-06-2008, 05:37 PM
  #157
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Badgers goonin it up again.Imagine that.
Well, well, well...look what pot came to call the kettle black I almost imagine you zeroed in on the sentence you highlighted right away. How many misconducts did the choir boys of Grand Forks get last night?

Those goons from Palin land need to know even our midgets like Patrick Johnson aren't going to be pushed around in our own barn. Have you seen that team of Lurtches that is AA? They dwarf UW who is not exactly a small team. I predicted a minimum of 4 game misconducts in this series.


Last edited by RabidBadger: 12-06-2008 at 05:47 PM.
RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-06-2008, 09:08 PM
  #158
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Geoffrion, Gardiner and Grotting have gone down with injuries in the AA series...it's a bad time to be a Badger with a "G" name right now. The team has responded by going up 6-0 with under 9 minutes to go in the 3rd. Bucky is on a holy tear!

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-06-2008, 10:04 PM
  #159
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Well, well, well...look what pot came to call the kettle black I almost imagine you zeroed in on the sentence you highlighted right away. How many misconducts did the choir boys of Grand Forks get last night?

Those goons from Palin land need to know even our midgets like Patrick Johnson aren't going to be pushed around in our own barn. Have you seen that team of Lurtches that is AA? They dwarf UW who is not exactly a small team. I predicted a minimum of 4 game misconducts in this series.
I knew I would get a response out of ya.Yeah the SIOUX were at it last nite to.It's just what our teams do.And yes I saw AA play at the RALPH this year.They are huge but a bit slow.Nice sweep for your squad.Seem to have righted the ship after their horrible start.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
  #160
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Badgers are back in ranked territory. Assuming the injury bug passes, this is a team that, after the early season struggles, can make some noise in the second half!

F 'em Bucky!

stanleycaps98 is offline  
Old
12-28-2008, 12:21 PM
  #161
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
The hot streak continues; granted it was Ala, but Bucky did what they should have. It could have been a lot more one-sided had Bama's goalie not stood on his head. And they dominated without Geoffrion (best pk and faceoff man), Johnson, and the
2nd PP backline of Goloubef and McDonaugh.

I've been a vocal opponent of Eaves but I have to give him credit for creating offensive depth (10th best offense NCAA, 2nd WCHA) with only having Michael Davies as a natural scorer. Eaves is also utilizing the defense for scoring depth better this year as well. Shane Connelly has been rock solid, even though he exaggerates a lot of the saves; he reminds me of flip-flop Phillipe Lameroux sometimes. This team looks like it can hang with anyone at this point.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
  #162
Dakota Sioux
Registered User
 
Dakota Sioux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: JAMESTOWN,ND
Country: United States
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
The hot streak continues; granted it was Ala, but Bucky did what they should have. It could have been a lot more one-sided had Bama's goalie not stood on his head. And they dominated without Geoffrion (best pk and faceoff man), Johnson, and the
2nd PP backline of Goloubef and McDonaugh.

I've been a vocal opponent of Eaves but I have to give him credit for creating offensive depth (10th best offense NCAA, 2nd WCHA) with only having Michael Davies as a natural scorer. Eaves is also utilizing the defense for scoring depth better this year as well. Shane Connelly has been rock solid, even though he exaggerates a lot of the saves; he reminds me of flip-flop Phillipe Lameroux sometimes. This team looks like it can hang with anyone at this point.
At least your team did what they were suppose to do unlike my SIOUX who couldn't beat a team who hadn't won since October and just lost to the U18 USA team.Pathetic.

Dakota Sioux is offline  
Old
12-28-2008, 02:25 PM
  #163
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
At least your team did what they were suppose to do unlike my SIOUX who couldn't beat a team who hadn't won since October and just lost to the U18 USA team.Pathetic.
The WCHA pretty well laid an egg last night. While MSU does suck, Lerg is still one of the best goalies in the league and can steal a game at any time. Bucky put up nearly 50 shots on Sparty and still only beat them 3-1.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
12-28-2008, 11:19 PM
  #164
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Yeah RB, but you've gotta feel pretty good about the Badgers winning the Showdown though.

I saw the game (except about the first couple of minutes) and IMO it wasn't all that exciting for about the first 56 minutes, then when both UW and LSSU broke up open a bit around the 16 minute mark of the 3rd, that was when it REALLY got exciting. Nice to see Tommy Gorowsky win it in the shootout. But the Lakers fans must be P.O.ed at the way it ended though. Troy Schwab's shot was gloved by Connelly and his glove came oh so close to be over the goal line. When he dropped it and it was in the net, obviously the whistle had already gone, but just before that.....I don't know, it was pretty darn close, my friend. But it stood as a no-goal and congrats to Bucky and the boys.

BTW, what happened to PJ? I know he played against Harvard last night, but he was out tonight.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
  #165
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Yeah RB, but you've gotta feel pretty good about the Badgers winning the Showdown though.

I saw the game (except about the first couple of minutes) and IMO it wasn't all that exciting for about the first 56 minutes, then when both UW and LSSU broke up open a bit around the 16 minute mark of the 3rd, that was when it REALLY got exciting. Nice to see Tommy Gorowsky win it in the shootout. But the Lakers fans must be P.O.ed at the way it ended though. Troy Schwab's shot was gloved by Connelly and his glove came oh so close to be over the goal line. When he dropped it and it was in the net, obviously the whistle had already gone, but just before that.....I don't know, it was pretty darn close, my friend. But it stood as a no-goal and congrats to Bucky and the boys.

BTW, what happened to PJ? I know he played against Harvard last night, but he was out tonight.
That was somewhat of a tainted win but we'll take it. I would say Laker fans have a legitimate gripe on the outcome. I can't believe they turned off the review equipment for the shootout! Still, a nice win in a tournament Bucky traditionally chokes in.

Patty J is out with an undisclosed knee injury. Word on the street is a probable sprain. Hopefully he and Geoffrion will be back for the next tilt against Anchorage.


Last edited by RabidBadger: 01-10-2009 at 09:46 PM.
RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
  #166
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
It was an all around sucky night with Bucky losing to the doormat Wildcats and Ryan McDonagh and team USA losing to the Slovaks. I wish I could muster up enthusiansm for Badger Cody Golobouf and team Canada doing well; the truth is I'd root for Al Quaida if the fielded a team against Canada. If UW storms back tomorrow and someone from the Czech/Russia winner sends Stefan Della Rovere's head into the cheap seats [hocky] life will be good again.

At least the captain and Mr. Faceoff, Blake Geoffrion is back in the lineup....good to see.

Also on the positive side: the women beat the USA select team 3-2. All this without Mark Johnson who is coaching the USA U-18 team at the women's World Championships. MJ is making a nice niche for himself in UW coaching history and should be the man calling the shots for the women's team at the '10 Olympics in Vancouver.


Last edited by RabidBadger: 01-02-2009 at 11:46 PM.
RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
  #167
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Mark Johnson has coached the U.S. women's U-18 team to a gold medal over dreaded Canada. Congrats to Mark who adds another notch to the Badger Family's hockey belt. It's a shame if he's not the guy behind the bench for the women at Vancouver in '10. He'll likely pick up some undecided recruits as well to keep the Badger Women on top.

Nice come from behind win by the men lasy night. Palin land is never an easy place to win, let alone when they are having a decent season. Blake Geoffrion was effective after being injured winning key faceoffs as always and potting the game winner. Here's hoping it keeps up tonight because WCHA points are at a premium these days.

"It's a great day for hockey!"


Last edited by RabidBadger: 01-10-2009 at 09:45 PM.
RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
  #168
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
How has Jamie McBain looked this season? His numbers are pretty incredible, obviously. Any chance for some Hobey Baker nomination love?

Vagrant is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
  #169
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
How has Jamie McBain looked this season? His numbers are pretty incredible, obviously. Any chance for some Hobey Baker nomination love?
Badger fans are pretty much resigned to the fact the Bainer will be in the Whaler-canes system next year. He started out rough but came on strong after the first 6 or so games. He still has the occasional errant pass but he's the straw that stirs the drink for the Badgers. You guys will like this kid in Raleigh.

Everyone knows there is a conspiracy by the biased East Coast media against Badgers winning the Hobey He could be a finalist but I doubt he wins. 1st team All-American is not out of the question.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
  #170
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Badger fans are pretty much resigned to the fact the Bainer will be in the Whaler-canes system next year. He started out rough but came on strong after the first 6 or so games. He still has the occasional errant pass but he's the straw that stirs the drink for the Badgers. You guys will like this kid in Raleigh.

Everyone knows there is a conspiracy by the biased East Coast media against Badgers winning the Hobey He could be a finalist but I doubt he wins. 1st team All-American is not out of the question.
Does he profile as a future powerplay quarterback in the NHL or is he more along the lines of a steady two way player?

Just curious regarding what Badgers fans think about this kid. It seems like he could have a very bright future.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  #171
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Does he profile as a future powerplay quarterback in the NHL or is he more along the lines of a steady two way player?

Just curious regarding what Badgers fans think about this kid. It seems like he could have a very bright future.
PP QB for sure. He's generally not a slouch in his own end. I'd say he should turn out to be good as former Badger Tom Gilbert. I'm kind of surprised Jim Rutherford kept his grimy hands off of McBain last year given his potential.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 03:04 AM
  #172
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
PP QB for sure. He's generally not a slouch in his own end. I'd say he should turn out to be good as former Badger Tom Gilbert. I'm kind of surprised Jim Rutherford kept his grimy hands off of McBain last year given his potential.
Word on the street was that McBain was very insistant about returning to Wisconsin for his Junior season. Carolina was fine with that as they had a few things they needed him to work on. Transitioning all that talent into production was part of what they wanted to see. For whatever reason, the points haven't always matched up with the skill level for McBain from what i've seen of him. This year is a different story.

If McBain turns out to be half the defenseman that Gilbert has been, it will be a success for Carolina. They haven't drafted and trained a defenseman since they've been here.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 04:20 AM
  #173
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Word on the street was that McBain was very insistant about returning to Wisconsin for his Junior season. Carolina was fine with that as they had a few things they needed him to work on. Transitioning all that talent into production was part of what they wanted to see. For whatever reason, the points haven't always matched up with the skill level for McBain from what i've seen of him. This year is a different story.

If McBain turns out to be half the defenseman that Gilbert has been, it will be a success for Carolina. They haven't drafted and trained a defenseman since they've been here.
As for the point production, he hasn't had a good supporting cast until this year. The D was mostly underclassmen last year. Also the Badger system is different from say, Minnesota, in terms of D-men getting to be creative offensively. That has changed this year thanks to a better backline.

I've been in NC for 5 years and I've noticed what you said about the lack of the team developing a d-man from the Canes games I've seen. That's why I was surprised McB came back this year, especially after the way Rutherford pushed Jack Johnson to leave school early. I hope they have success with him, he's been great at UW.

RabidBadger is offline  
Old
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
  #174
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,962
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
As for the point production, he hasn't had a good supporting cast until this year. The D was mostly underclassmen last year. Also the Badger system is different from say, Minnesota, in terms of D-men getting to be creative offensively. That has changed this year thanks to a better backline.

I've been in NC for 5 years and I've noticed what you said about the lack of the team developing a d-man from the Canes games I've seen. That's why I was surprised McB came back this year, especially after the way Rutherford pushed Jack Johnson to leave school early. I hope they have success with him, he's been great at UW.
Believe me, there were some inside the Hurricanes organization that wanted their hands on him right away. I think the Jack Johnson fiasco, as well as the Zac Dalpe situation they dealt with earlier between his Plymouth draft status and his desire to attend Ohio State, has taught Carolina that their patience with D1 players in particular will be rewarded if they allow them to develop at their own pace. McBain is a high quality prospect, but he is a tier below where Jack Johnson was considered at the time. Plus, there are pretty firm instances where Johnson made it apparent he would rather be in another locale. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he wouldn't have signed here, but I doubt he would have stayed here under his own accord.

Carolina usually thrives on cast off defensemen from other locations and turns them into strong defenders. Kevin McCarthy and Glen Wesley are instrumental in that process. Guys like Mike Commodore, Dennis Seidenberg, Bret Hedican, Aaron Ward, etc. have all been picked up from organizations that were known to have success with developmental clubs.

I have to say that I am as excited for McBain as a blueline prospect as i've been since David Tanabe. That didn't exactly work out as well so here's hoping, eh?

Vagrant is offline  
Old
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM
  #175
RabidBadger
Registered User
 
RabidBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Motown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Well, it sure was nice to watch "Sir Gets Pulled A lot" Bachman riding the pine after two periods of another balanced Badger offensive attack. There has been no lack of heroes this year with guys stepping up at different times from all for lines. Andy Bohmbach was great tonight and has been on a tear the past 8 games. And, unfortunately for cherry-picker Chad Rau, Kyle Klubertantz and his cement feet are no longer in Madison so he got a taste of Jamie McBain, who easily thwarted his latest cherry-picking excursion.

I'm sure Ron Jeremy...er, Scotty Owen, will have his troops fired up for tomorrow so Bucky needs to be ready for stiffer (no Ron Jeremy pun intended)competition.

RabidBadger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.